Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 19
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 11th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    We are a couple in our 30's and was wondering what the best way to get a will is, we don't mind paying for it but as we have a child think it is important to have for each other and also for our daughter
    Originally posted by 1trainer1
    Go to a solicitor not a will writer and under no circumstances try to DIY. Ask around for personal recommendations. Also remember that wills need to be reviewed from time to time as circumstances change.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 23-02-2017 at 6:26 PM.
    • NOWSE
    • By NOWSE 12th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    NOWSE
    Free Will writing via trade union
    I was able to have the wills of my wife and myself drawn up for nothing. It is one of the member benefits of being in Unite. I expect that other unions also offer this. Have a look on their website.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 12th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    I was able to have the wills of my wife and myself drawn up for nothing. It is one of the member benefits of being in Unite. I expect that other unions also offer this. Have a look on their website.
    Originally posted by NOWSE
    But did you get proper advice and were you able to specify what you wanted or was it just a standard wording?
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 23-01-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    • bib1
    • By bib1 23rd Jan 17, 9:55 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bib1
    My will was written by a solicitor and he also stores the will. He is also the sole executor.
    My question is: how will he know that I have died?
    I have no family or friends (don't worry - I'm ok and happy!).
    So, when I die - who will inform the solicitor to get things rolling?
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 23rd Jan 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    da_rule
    It depends how on the ball your solicitor is.

Some will check the unclaimed estates list for their clients.

Otherwise, all you can really do is tell a neighbour and ask them to inform the solicitor when the time comes.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 24th Jan 17, 10:18 AM
    • 27,065 Posts
    • 69,010 Thanks
    Mojisola
    My will was written by a solicitor and he also stores the will. He is also the sole executor.
    My question is: how will he know that I have died?
    I have no family or friends (don't worry - I'm ok and happy!).
    So, when I die - who will inform the solicitor to get things rolling?
    Originally posted by bib1
    If you know that the end is nigh, you can get someone to contact your executor and warn him.

If you die suddenly, someone will come into your home and search for paperwork about solicitors, wills, etc. Make sure you have some that is easily found.

It could also be worth having a note in your wallet detailing who to contact. If your phone isn't locked, you could have your solicitor listed under ICE.
    • mrkester
    • By mrkester 19th Feb 17, 12:15 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mrkester
    My wife sadly died 2 weeks ago, at the age of 40. Neither of us have a will, and we have a 10 year old daughter.
    Many years ago, we bought a DIY Last Will & Testament Kit, but never got round to filling it in...stupid, I know.
    I'm assuming that everythibg will pass to me, as her next of kin?

I'm now determined to get everything completed properly.

What do I do, or is it a different form, with regards to the care of my daughtet, should I doe before she reaches an age of being legally allowed to look after herself. My cousin has said she will look after her, but what paperwork do I need to complete?

Thanks in advance.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 19th Feb 17, 1:06 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    My wife sadly died 2 weeks ago, at the age of 40. Neither of us have a will, and we have a 10 year old daughter.
    Many years ago, we bought a DIY Last Will & Testament Kit, but never got round to filling it in...stupid, I know.
    I'm assuming that everythibg will pass to me, as her next of kin?

I'm now determined to get everything completed properly.

What do I do, or is it a different form, with regards to the care of my daughtet, should I doe before she reaches an age of being legally allowed to look after herself. My cousin has said she will look after her, but what paperwork do I need to complete?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by mrkester
    You will need to apply for letters of administration. The estate will need to be distributed according to the laws of intestacy. This site explains.

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

Please come back here for any help you need.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 19th Feb 17, 1:13 PM
    • 27,065 Posts
    • 69,010 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Originally posted by mrkester
    You can set out your wishes in your will - any decent solicitor will talk you through it.

Your wishes will usually be complied with unless someone raises a problem with your nominated person. Does your cousin have regular contact with your daughter? Social Services are more likely to give her guardianship the nod through if she can show that she has been a part of your daughter's life.
    • Sarahjovi
    • By Sarahjovi 22nd Feb 17, 4:14 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 1,004 Thanks
    Sarahjovi
    Hi,

Last summer, My husband and I were advised to wait until our youngest daughter had turned 18, before writing our wills, as a beneficiary, it would be less complicated. She has now turned 18 and the will writer has been in touch to make an appointment.

One of the things we discussed was the ownership of our house, which is currently mortgage free and in the sole name of my husband. We intend to get this put into joint tenancy, however, as the will writer wants to make an appointment I want to know if we should do this before we write our wills, we just need straight forward mirror wills.

Will it matter if the leave it as sole owner of my husband for the time being? I think the will writer may want to charge us to put it into joint tenancy!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 22nd Feb 17, 5:07 PM
    • 27,065 Posts
    • 69,010 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Last summer, My husband and I were advised to wait until our youngest daughter had turned 18, before writing our wills, as a beneficiary, it would be less complicated. She has now turned 18 and the will writer has been in touch to make an appointment.
    Originally posted by Sarahjovi
    Is there any reason why you've chosen a will writer rather than a solicitor?

Do you really think it was good advice to postpone making a will until a minor child became an adult? A will would have been more important if you had died before she reached 18.
    • Sarahjovi
    • By Sarahjovi 22nd Feb 17, 5:32 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 1,004 Thanks
    Sarahjovi
    It's one of those situations where we never got around to making a will, until I walked past a stall at the shopping centre and thought do it now or we never will! The adviser said if we made a will before she turned 18, we would have to do it again, once she turned 18!

I am currently stalling the will writer whilst I investigate other options! But really want to get this done!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 22nd Feb 17, 5:50 PM
    • 27,065 Posts
    • 69,010 Thanks
    Mojisola
    The adviser said if we made a will before she turned 18, we would have to do it again, once she turned 18!
    Nonsense! I wouldn't trust someone who gave you this advice.

The will could have had a clause about what happened if you died while any of the children were minors and another for what would happen if they were all adults before it happened.
    • Sarahjovi
    • By Sarahjovi 22nd Feb 17, 5:54 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 1,004 Thanks
    Sarahjovi
    It did seem a bit strange at the time!
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 22nd Feb 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    FreeBear
    I am currently stalling the will writer whilst I investigate other options! But really want to get this done!
    A couple of questions to ask them...

How much will they charge to store the will ?

Will they write themselves in as executors ?

If they say "yes" to either question, book an appointment with a STEP trained solicitor. Whilst a solicitor may be more expensive initially, they won't charge for storage or insist on being an executor. A sol will also discuss various scenarios that might happen and give you unbiased advice. In the long run, a well written will will save heaps of money. A badly written will could involve (very) expensive legal action to sort out the mess.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Sarahjovi
    • By Sarahjovi 23rd Feb 17, 3:29 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 1,004 Thanks
    Sarahjovi
    We certainly don't intend for them to store nor be executors of the will. We just want straight forward mirror wills, no complications or special clauses or anything else!

My original question was do we need to have our house in joint tenancy before we write the will?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 23rd Feb 17, 5:13 PM
    • 37,286 Posts
    • 33,576 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    My original question was do we need to have our house in joint tenancy before we write the will?
    I think you do, yes. It isn't difficult (especially if it's mortgage free). This is a link which I think will explain it all with links to the forms you need.

If you are at all concerned, then I think what Mum and Dad's solicitor did was draft the wills while dealing with the house ownership - there is usually a gap between writing the wills and getting them signed and witnessed.

But we are pretty universally convinced on this board that it pays to use a 'proper' solicitor rather than a will writer ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 2 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, 1 baby jumper
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 23rd Feb 17, 6:03 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    Malthusian
    We certainly don't intend for them to store nor be executors of the will. We just want straight forward mirror wills, no complications or special clauses or anything else!

No. Once it's in joint tenancy it isn't affected by the Will anyway, it will pass automatically to the spouse. While it isn't your husband should have a Will in place to cover the possibility that he dies while it is still in his sole name.

There is nothing to stop you doing both simultaneously. But making the Will should be simplest and quickest.

*edit* And even if it's a simple Will you still shouldn't use a will writer that doesn't know what they're talking about, as incompetent will writers are quite capable of making simple Wills complicated.
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 8th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    Every year this free wills appears on this newsletter and it really annoys me as I tried for years to get our wills done for free and failed every single year through this scheme as either the solicitors named in my area weren't actually taking part or they'd already filled up their quota when I got the email and contacted them all immediately!

We couldn't afford to make wills - I knew it was important but we were living on a shoestring.

What I'm getting to is that luckily we finally managed to get wills done for free through GMB, the union, which my husband is a member of, so if anyone wants to get a free will you can easily through them.

We got mirror wills, it was extremely simple and GMB were excellent about it and very quick.

Just thought I'd let people know in case they're going through difficulties like I previously had!
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Every year this free wills appears on this newsletter and it really annoys me as I tried for years to get our wills done for free and failed every single year through this scheme as either the solicitors named in my area weren't actually taking part or they'd already filled up their quota when I got the email and contacted them all immediately!

We couldn't afford to make wills - I knew it was important but we were living on a shoestring.

What I'm getting to is that luckily we finally managed to get wills done for free through GMB, the union, which my husband is a member of, so if anyone wants to get a free will you can easily through them.

We got mirror wills, it was extremely simple and GMB were excellent about it and very quick.

Just thought I'd let people know in case they're going through difficulties like I previously had!
    Originally posted by happyinflorida
    While it is better than no will unless you saw a solicitor and had the various options explained it may not be what you really need.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,439Posts Today

8,122Users online

Martin's Twitter