Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 18
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 13th Sep 16, 11:45 AM
    • 6,971 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    Biggles
    This would mean should the surviving father / mother need to pay for care costs in the future, they wouldnt have to sell their house to pay for it.
    Originally posted by mickym
    If they're in a care home, what else would they do with their empty house? I'd rather be able to sell my house and choose a comfy care home than be thrust in one of the local council's choosing.
    • mickym
    • By mickym 13th Sep 16, 12:14 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    mickym
    If they're in a care home, what else would they do with their empty house? I'd rather be able to sell my house and choose a comfy care home than be thrust in one of the local council's choosing.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Without sidetracking the thread and my topic, my parents would both feel terrible if they knew everything they earned in life (working from their early teens) went on paying for them to receive care. Also an expensive care home doesn't necessarily mean a good one.

Personally I wouldn't care what they left me, but they feel strongly that what they have worked hard for in life goes to their family. ( I must stress they dont have a lot anyway, and there isnt any issue with inheritance tax as they dont have that much assets)

Back to the topic, is the more detailed Will I mentioned called a particular type of Will?
    • Brighty
    • By Brighty 13th Sep 16, 12:32 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Brighty
    No specific name for it, but even for a simple will like you were first intending, don't go the DIY route, or use a will writing firm. Go to a proper 'STEP' qualified solicitor and make sure it's done right.

Brighty
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Hi

My father is terminally ill, and he and my mother have asked me to arrange a will for them.

Its is a pretty basic arrangement they wanted.

If either of them pass away, everything goes to the surviving spouse. (They own their own house)

If they both pass away all assets are divided equally between their 4 children. Its then upto those 4 children to do whatever they want with regards passing it onto the grand children.

I have gone through the Which online Will maker process and have everything ready to process.

However I have read recently that it is possible to have a Will made so that if my mother or father passed away, rather than all the assets/house going to the surviving member, the one half of the house owned by the now deceased, could be passed onto the children, so:

Surviving Mother / Father = 50% Ownership
    Son 1 = 12.5% Ownership
    Son 2 = 12.5% Ownership
    Daughter 1 = 12.5% Ownership
    Daughter 2 = 12.5% Ownership

This would mean should the surviving father / mother need to pay for care costs in the future, they wouldnt have to sell their house to pay for it.

Is this correct, and any idea what a Will like this is called?

Is this something I would need a solicitor to write up or can it be done online too?

Thanks
    You need to go to a solicitor not a will writer or online.
    • mickym
    • By mickym 13th Sep 16, 12:54 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    mickym
    May I ask whats wrong with doing it the online route? Especially with a website such as Which!

Pretty sure it was recommended by the MSE website too?
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Sep 16, 1:24 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    May I ask whats wrong with doing it the online route? Especially with a website such as Which!

Pretty sure it was recommended by the MSE website too?
    Because you need to get proper advice from a solicitor to make sure you have covered all the angles. Online sites and will writers don't do that.
    • Brighty
    • By Brighty 13th Sep 16, 3:17 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Brighty
    Basic stuff that will writers, online services, diy wills miss is when first parent dies, you'd want the surviving one to be able to stay in the house, without correct wording, the kids could force a sale and put parent on the streets. Once you have that sorted, do you want to allow them to move house to either downsize or change area? All things to consider and that a solicitor will do right. Also, some people name grandchildren in a will, which then means any future grand kids miss out. I'm sure there's lots more little pit falls you can fall into if your're not carefull, hence it's wise to get it done properly by someone who knows what questions to ask

Brighty
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 13th Sep 16, 4:23 PM
    • 6,971 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    Biggles
    Without sidetracking the thread and my topic, my parents would both feel terrible if they knew everything they earned in life (working from their early teens) went on paying for them to receive care.
    Well, just think how terrible the rest of us would feel if we ended up paying for it?
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 13th Sep 16, 4:28 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 2,297 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Because you need to get proper advice from a solicitor to make sure you have covered all the angles. Online sites and will writers don't do that.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    Absolutely, for example it would be pretty useless stating in the will that you want your half of the house left to your children, if the house was owned as joint tenants, because you don't actually have half a house to leave anyone.
    Last edited by Keep pedalling; 13-09-2016 at 4:35 PM.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 13th Sep 16, 4:35 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 2,297 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Without sidetracking the thread and my topic, my parents would both feel terrible if they knew everything they earned in life (working from their early teens) went on paying for them to receive care. Also an expensive care home doesn't necessarily mean a good one.

Personally I wouldn't care what they left me, but they feel strongly that what they have worked hard for in life goes to their family. ( I must stress they dont have a lot anyway, and there isnt any issue with inheritance tax as they dont have that much assets)
    Like many of us of a certain age the value of our house does not reflect what we put into it in the way of hard work, but it's more down to rampant house price inflation. If our children are lucky that will all go to them, but it is sure a comfort that should it be needed in our case it will provide several years of top quality care.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 13th Sep 16, 4:37 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    kelpie35
    Can someone please advise me if I can do a free or cheap will.

I want to leave all my belongings including a car to my son. He is my only child.

I have no savings or house as I live in a local HA property.

Am still married but separated for 20 odd years, don't even know if husband is still alive or where he might stay.
    • mickym
    • By mickym 13th Sep 16, 5:08 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    mickym
    Well, just think how terrible the rest of us would feel if we ended up paying for it?
    Originally posted by Biggles
    So all the financial contributions they have made to the state over their whole working life wouldn't contribute to their care in later life?

Not to mention all their extended family who have always been in full time employment?

Huge financial institutions paying hardly any tax in this country lessens the guilt of doing what they do on a minuscule scale in comparison.

But, as I say, thats sidetracking from this thread.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 13th Sep 16, 5:08 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 2,297 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Can someone please advise me if I can do a free or cheap will.

I want to leave all my belongings including a car to my son. He is my only child.

I have no savings or house as I live in a local HA property.

Am still married but separated for 20 odd years, don't even know if husband is still alive or where he might stay.
    Originally posted by kelpie35
    In your situation you definitely need a will, otherwise everything would go to your husband assuming he is still alive. Even if he no longer alive, trying to confirm that could be difficult so causing problems for your son.

Being a very simple estate, you should be able to DIY it, just make sure you cover the event of your son pre deceasing you.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 13th Sep 16, 5:37 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    kelpie35
    Sorry to be so ignorant, but can you tell me how I go about doing a DIY will please
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 13th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 2,297 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Sorry to be so ignorant, but can you tell me how I go about doing a DIY will please
    Originally posted by kelpie35
    If you are not comfortable doing it DIY next month is free will month.

http://freewillsmonth.org.uk
    • billybotto
    • By billybotto 9th Oct 16, 10:05 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    billybotto
    freewillsmonth.org

Is this offer only available in certain parts of the country?
    Says not available in my NE postcode (Newcastle) area.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    The short answer is don't! The longer answer is that DIYing it is fraught with risk that the required result will no happen. Some solicitors offer notionally free wills for a time each year but you arid expected, but not forced, to make a donation to charity.
    • Crabapple
    • By Crabapple 9th Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 7,010 Thanks
    Crabapple
    freewillsmonth.org

Is this offer only available in certain parts of the country?
    Says not available in my NE postcode (Newcastle) area.
    Originally posted by billybotto
    It's not restricted officially but as Solicitors have to choose to take part some areas won't be covered.
    Daughter born January 2012 Son born February 2014

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
    • 1trainer1
    • By 1trainer1 10th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    1trainer1
    We are a couple in our 30's and was wondering what the best way to get a will is, we don't mind paying for it but as we have a child think it is important to have for each other and also for our daughter
    Blessed on 18th February at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
    • tangerine2
    • By tangerine2 11th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tangerine2
    We bought printed Will forms from Amazon, as our circumstances are simple. Husband and wife, if one dies first then whole Estate goes to the other. In the event of their death then Estate divided in equal shares to our two children. Signed and witnessed by two witnesses not In the Will. Probably if one us dies before the other it will be cheap enough to tear up and write a new one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

282Posts Today

1,777Users online

Martin's Twitter