Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > 5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 (Page 946)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
Views: 1,316,110
# 18901
Broomstick
Old 05-12-2012, 2:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Didn't post last night because I felt poorly, went to bed without supper soon after getting home at 8pm ish, got up for a couple of hours in the night then went back to sleep until 11am. Still feel tired but slightly less grotty. So only one pleasure for yesterday:

1. Lots of sleep!

Will post for today later on.

B x
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Broomstick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18902
Chickenopolis
Old 05-12-2012, 3:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJsmum View Post
Awwwww let's have a dodgy hug

Nahhhh - looks like a threesome , so NOT my cup of tea
Too fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Chickenopolis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18903
oldtractor
Old 05-12-2012, 6:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

1. more eggs
2. shaking out the straw this morning, all crunchy and rustly
3. dinner of quiche and hg potatoes
4. cancelling a planned shopping trip with a friend am busy we will go splurging another time
5. DS1 deciding to look for another job and quit his present job. I am very pleased where he is now is the pits.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to oldtractor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18904
Kittikins
Old 05-12-2012, 6:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

1. Had meeting at new job to go through paperwork, and my start date might be sooner than originally planned

2. Snow - which was more of a pleasure for DD than it was for me, but I was pleased to see that the school I'm going to work at has its own gritter, what a relief!

3. Threw myself on the mercy of one of my favourite librarians who let me renew a book I wasn't supposed to be able to renew as I've had it ages..........and its now somewhere in the house but no idea where at the moment!!

4. DD and I bumped into friends whilst shopping and had a nice chat and a cuddle with their baby

5. Managed to park for free, yay!

6. My lovely mummy has bought DD new school shoes as her current ones had worn out!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kittikins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18905
Skint yet Again
Old 05-12-2012, 7:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Evening all, feeling sorry for myself tonight, my sympathies with you broomstick ... i have an awful and sore throat too....

today

1. not much traffic on way to work
2. afternoon off work.... finished at 1pm as was supposed to be going for old team xmas drink but felt so rough I came home instead
3. snoozed
4. DS has gone to earls court til sunday so I dont have to be mum for a few days
5. warm tomato soup soothing my throat

am off for early bath and bed x nite x
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Skint yet Again For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18906
villagelife
Old 05-12-2012, 7:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi all

Heres my five for today
1. Snow looks surperb

2. Snow not settling on road and gone when I left work

3. Asked to perhaps stand in for my line manager - good to think I am capable.

4. Tea from freezer.

5. Speaking to neighbour.

6. Text from friend in Hong Kong.

7. DH starting to deice my car this morning
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to villagelife For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18907
Chickenopolis
Old 05-12-2012, 8:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Skintos and Broomstick get well now !
Too fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Chickenopolis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18908
Frith
Old 05-12-2012, 8:36 PM

I wasn't having a go at anyone on this thread yesterday (about the Duchess of Cambridge's illness). I just keeping hearing snatches of conversation wherever I go about she is not really ill or is only in hospital because of who she is.

My pleasures for today (Weds)

1) Boys off to school quite happily.

2) Texts from my sister.

3) Cleaned the kitchen - shelves, cleaned out the cupboards etc.

4) We are having a Sinterklaas evening tomorrow (well, mum and dad are) and the tradition is we put all the names in a hat and draw one out. You are not supposed to spend much but the wrapping or box has to be "meaningful" in some way and there must be a poem the recipient reads out! And it is all anonymous. I'm just printing my poem out right now and the present for my person came in the post today (thank goodness).

5) Went to nearest little town, took some stuff to the charity shop, finally walked into the GP's to change my surname with the NHS (changed it over a year ago but never see the GP!), went to the library etc.

6) Made chicken chow mein for tea.

7) No snow! But freezing cold.
What do we want? Passive aggression. When do we want it? No, no, take your time. It's fine.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Frith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18909
Kittikins
Old 05-12-2012, 8:57 PM

Get well soon poorlies xx
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kittikins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18910
CCP
Old 05-12-2012, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrer View Post
Woke to snow this morning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenopolis View Post
it snowed here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikins View Post
2. Snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagelife View Post
1. Snow looks surperb
Where's my snow? I know snow isn't universally popular, and is downright dangerous to some of us, but I like snow, and I haven't got any snow, and I want snow! (stamps feet)

Ahem.

Pleasures for yesterday:
  1. For the first time since my flu jab last Friday I was able to move my arm without wincing.
  2. A few more people made contributions to the Xmas decoration fund, so I didn't feel as hard-done-by and irritable as I did on Monday.
  3. Took some soup to work, but realised when I defrosted it that there was only a small amount there, and nowhere near enough for a decent lunch. So I went to the nearest shop and bought a 'Christmas feast' sandwich - the mass-produced, factory farmed, high in fat / salt / sugar variety - and enjoyed every guilty mouthful.
  4. Changed the bed so I had nice clean sheets to sleep on.
  5. Walked down to the pub quiz and admired the lights which are starting to appear in various windows.
And for today:
  1. The office Xmas tree passed its safety inspection and can stay up. (Or as 'up' as it ever gets - it was cheap for a reason, and the reason is that it looks like it's drunk an entire bottle of mulled wine before coming out of its box! )
  2. Spent my lunchbreak entering some seasonal competitions. I'm not a particularly dedicated comper, but it's fun occasionally and I might win something...
  3. Got a new copy of the W'rose magazine, as my previous copy was destroyed by a leaking pot of mozzarella, which turned it into a block of mildly cheesy papier mache. The nice lady in W'rose allowed me a free replacement copy, though.
  4. Central heating. I hate being cold.
  5. Managed to salvage most of an aubergine - I can't seem to keep aubergines in a usable condition for more than a couple of days, so using even most of one is an achievement.
Broomstick and Skint - get well now!
NSDs for 2013: 85. NSDs for 2014: 49
Latest wins - wipe-clean weekly planner ; gourmet herb course ; hand-made tealight holder ; preserving pack; witch hazel stick
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CCP For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18911
Purple kitten
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Get well soon all the poorlies.
And what on earth is going on with that icon, it definitly looks like a "love in"

Iím sorry running about like a headless chicken Iím about and Iím happy, its just we havenít even had dinner yet and it wonít be till 10.30.
I got sang, all be it very badly by high street carolers Christmas charity carols at lunchtime.
Food planning is going really well, a bit to well if there is such a thing as the freezers are full.
Bought our first Christmas goodies for ourselves, in the form of Christmas cake, baileys, Yule log.
Found I forgot bread for toast so we have rtc fruit loaf for rapid prior to running out of the door as late as always breakfast.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Purple kitten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18912
Tealady
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Evening

Skint & Broomstick get well NOW

Pleasures for today,
1. LSD only spent £1 on some wrapping paper
2. Reverbed 9p this morning on the way to work
3. OH and DD didn't like the soup I made yesterday so took it into work and fed the boys in the office. They were quite happy and didn't moan that it tasted too much of tomato.
4. Slow cooker on this morning so came home to chicken casserole. I used a pack of value thighs and drumsticks which everyone else enjoyed. I am not a fan of leg meat even though I know it is tastier etc but managed to eat it and knowing it only cost £1.50 for the pack helped and yes as with the theme for the rest of the week there was loads of veg in it though DD did find the courgettes.
5. Two meetings that I was dreading today went without any problems and one of them was an absolute pleasure, need more like that tomorrow.

Hugs to all who need them. Hope everyone is staying warm
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tealady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18913
Broomstick
Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for the 'get wells' (Get well Skint!) Still feeling ropey but got myself out the house to collect a non-delivered parcel this afternoon and put myself back to bed after that.

Five pleasures for today:

1. Snoozing

2. Getting the parcel which contained the last two extended family Xmas prezzies. Still have to get the DSs' but then I'm done.

3. Catching up on 'Last Tango in Halifax' - enjoying that one a lot.

4. Very beautiful, clear, deep blue coloured sky at sunset.

5. Lovely, cheering phone call with my best friend.

Sweet dreams

B x
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Broomstick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18914
sparrer
Old 06-12-2012, 2:11 AM

Never really noticed it before but now you come to mention it the group hug thingy does look a bit iffy

1. No alarm clocks, mechanical or animal, so slept in til 9.30am after an insomniac night. Felt heady all morning because my sleep pattern was (still is) upside down but had a siesta after lunch and felt almost normal again
2. The pot of chilli is, though I say it meself, blooming marvellous! Had to get it into the freezer before I ate half of it but have saved some for lunch tomorrow
3. Postie brought my first C-word card, made me feel a little less bah humbug about the whole event as it's from lovely DGD1 and her lovely boyfriend. She and DGS1 are coming to lunch tomorrow (today, Thurs) so I'll teach her some MS ways like giving rather than posting cards
4. The snow had cleared on the roads by lunchtime and the forecast isn't too bad for the morning, above freezing so hopefully no more white stuff. IF it does snow I'll put some in a flask and send it along to Pompey for you CCP
5. Am tired! Might get some sleep now

Sweet dreams
I'm just a little Cockney sparrer
'Save 12k in 2014' #070. Goal £3k
Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most ~ Buddha
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sparrer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18915
Skint yet Again
Old 06-12-2012, 6:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frith View Post
-
4) We are having a Sinterklaas evening tomorrow (well, mum and dad are) and the tradition is we put all the names in a hat and draw one out. You are not supposed to spend much but the wrapping or box has to be "meaningful" in some way and there must be a poem the recipient reads out! And it is all anonymous. I'm just printing my poem out right now and the present for my person came in the post today (thank goodness).
Frith what a wonderful idea, your family sound lovely x

Sparrer hope you managed to get some sleep x

Broomstick hope you are feeling better x

No snow here either, although everything outside is white with frost brrrr. Its my day off today and I cant afford to have the heating on all day, but with this cold and feeling so rough I may just stay in bed ! Hope the snow isnt too bad when I go up norf to the family for a week on 27th

huggs to all in need
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Skint yet Again For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18916
VJsmum
Old 06-12-2012, 7:08 AM

Gosh - all of you with snow, even darn sarf. T'was beautiful here.

Get well soon poorly ones. My DD is still off school with something virus-y

OT - love that one of your pleasures is shaking out straw, you don't get much more OS than that
Frith - love the Sinterklass idea. I'd much rather do that than trawl around for tat that nobody needs.
CCP - hope you get some snow. Unless you live near me, in which case I hope you don't (I know you don't live near me) I love the sound of the drunk office crimbo tree
PK - I know what you mean about meal planning. I have been trying to empty one freezer since last christmas. Am making a concerted effort at the moment.

Yesterdays

1. Couldn't go in for my meeting at 9 am as DD still in bed, a lovely colleague swapped so I popped in for a couple of hours later, once I knew DD could be left
2. As i went in late I took advantage and finished the house cleaning and did some washing.
3. Left over pie for lunch - YUM!!
4. DS's parents evening and what a pleasure it was. Hearing one teacher say that he was "a clever boy" - no-one but us has ever acknowledged it. We KNEW he was brighter than he appeared but struggles / is too lazy to write it down. As his history teacher said "if he could talk through the exam rather than write it, he would get an A". Many of his teachers said he was capable of A / B grades, we have never been told this before. The challenge now is to get him to write better and do more than the bare minimum. We have a plan that he won't like - involving half an hour english a day (spelling, grammar, punctuation) and reflecting on the work he has done as to how to improve it.
5. Lovely long chat with my beautiful sister - looking forward to seeing her at christmas.

Have a good day all.
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member #18 Novice Prepper

Good enough is good enough
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to VJsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18917
mhagster
Old 06-12-2012, 7:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello, not long in from work......not really into working an extra 2 hours a day, I like leaving when I do...however I did get a day off yesterday and it's almost Friday!
Whilst I mostly get on okay with my manager who is almost half my age sometimes he drives me slightly mad....today has been one of those days!

1. A bit warmer today, about 20o, we have had all sorts of weather in the past week, more rain this morning which the garden ,especially veg patch , really needs.

2. Beautiful birdies flying by, parrots and cockatoos and my lovely blackbird who sings his heart out every day.

3. Just found a delivery from amaz0n that I had ordered 'hidden' under the door mat! These are books for Christmas gifts so glad they have arrived.

4. Also got a lovely Christmas card with a lovely letter in it from another letter writing friend.

5. Gas bill is a third of what the previous 3 have been. When OH was off sick he had the heating on all day , so glad he is better and heating not on all the time!

An anticipated pleasure....my son is getting his hair cut tonight. It is seriously long and I think he has finally got a bit fed up with it! He has never liked getting his hair cut!

Have a good day
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mhagster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18918
missmoneysave
Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hey everyone, I think we can put me down as the infrequent poster. I haven't been on for ages in a bit of a depressive streak. Its just been one thing after another and last weekend my nan had a stroke, she hasnt had one for over 7 years, knocked everyones confidence. On the plus side, thank you to everyone who sent my mum well wishes,they worked- her biopsy came back clear It was a random skin thing that won't cause any harm if left.

Anyway, it's onwards and upwards;

1. Haven't been OS-ing for a while and in a fit of 'let's get back to it' I bought a turkey drumstick for £2, a bloody huge one It's currently wedged in the slow cooker and whilst it might turn out to be a largely inedible mess, the excitement is immense!

2. Been eating yummy home made soup for lunch all week. Great way to get some veg inside me, might become a lovely,winter ritual.

3. Today is a nothing day, not allowing myself to do anything except potter around. I've got to start looking after myself a bit more.

4. Weather is perfect. Cold, crisp, bright just the way I like it. I'd like some snow though please.

5. My family, friends and partner. Wouldn't have made it through the last couple of weeks without them. Now I'm thinking more clearly I can see how incredibly lucky I am.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to missmoneysave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18919
oldtractor
Old 06-12-2012, 1:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oldtractor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18920
RevolvingDoor
Old 06-12-2012, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

1. Lazy lunch of veggie sausage rolls as I came in from walking the dog.

2. Not a no spend day as I bought a storage box from Amazon but it was less than £20 and I do use those boxes a lot.

3. I might make homemade soup tonight and make some batches for the freezer as I didn't do that yesterday.

4. I saw a piece about homelessness on the news so I'm very grateful that I have a roof over my head. I take that too much for granted.

5. I have to go and find some old clothes to use as blankets for my cats as they are feeling the cold.
EMER 6 MTH SAV: £4,400/ £10,000
0% CC DEBT: £900
Oct 2011: £96,079
Oct 2013: £69,720

2013 Mortgage OPS: £6,650

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RevolvingDoor For This Useful Post: Show me >>