Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > 5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
Views: 1,191,919
# 41
culpepper
Old 29-10-2009, 1:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

1.Hanging out two loads of laundry in the October Sunshine.
2.Cutting cabbages in the garden and freezing them.
3.Sausage sandwhich from 3 sausages found hiding in the freezer and the bottom of the tom ketchup eked out with vinegar.
4.sweeping the ground floor with 'no but a broom' now we have no carpet downstairs.
5.Leftovers for tea today cunningly transformed into curry.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to culpepper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
zippychick
Old 29-10-2009, 2:24 PM

Bunnytoo - keep posting and welcome!

Olliebeak - what a memory you have!

let's see, what pleasures do I have.....

1) Home made pumpkin carrot and lentil soup - meaty tasting but ok. not drool worthy but nice and filling

2) Getting whoopsied wheaten for 80p and 2 garlic nan breads for 40p last night. Straight in the freezer.

3) Making creamy pasta last night - first time cooking pasta with cream or pesto so i winged it . Also made HM garlic bread to go with it. I'm a bad girl.....

4) Batch cooking some iceland chicken for the cat. She's not had any in a while, and she sat patiently the whole time it was cooking - no moaning or yapping, just sitting waiting licking her lips every so often !

5) Two friends saying kitty has fattened up and doesn't look at deaths door any more (cheered me up no end)

6) Having enough of last nights dinner bits to know I can make the same tonight with little effort

7) Buying and tasting chorizo as I'd never tasted it before. Already planning pizza with that!

8) Cycling to get my shopping last night and saving money i would have once wasted on a taxi (even though it killed me)
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to zippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
Boodle
Old 29-10-2009, 2:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi everyone. Reading everyone's positives is helping me chill out during a rather stressful time round our way, so thanks for sharing x I am determined not dwell on the negative stuff but despite this my face still swelled up all flushed yesterday when things kicked off and 24 hours later hasn't faded On the bright side though, I have:

1. My two beautiful girls who are just a pleasure to be with.

2. The joy of feeding my baby girl myself and seeing her smile up at me when she realises I am about to nurse her.

3. A roof over my head, food to eat and can pay the bills, due to...

4. My husband being able to work so to give me the chance to be at home with my girls.

5. Hung out the washing on the line, which always gives me a feel-good boost.
It's all for my girls
Love and compassion for one and all x
Personal GC - 150 pm
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Boodle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
SunnyGirl
Old 29-10-2009, 2:59 PM

Hi everyone there's going to be a lot of dry washing taken in later today by the sound of it. Lots of us are pegging out at the moment My five for today are:

1. DS2 made me a cup of tea without being asked earlier this morning.

2. The satisfaction of having done the ironing earlier

3. My neighbour asking me to watch her boys tomorrow night for a couple of hours & saying that she trusted me with them implicitly. They're 3 and 7 and after my rabble of noisy teens are a dream to look after.

4. Listening to the children negotiate who is watching what on the tv and then deciding to get Monopoly out instead

5. A lovely sunny autumn day.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SunnyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
Caterina
Old 29-10-2009, 4:00 PM

Hi all

Was skivvying away at my job but decided to have a little break and popped in to say hi, but now that I am here I might as well do the whole thing (nothing beats a good excuse to procrastinate on work! )

Patchwork Quilt and Ollie, thank you for your nice word about my doula work - yes it is very rewarding, I love seeing babies being born and help giving women the strength and knowledge to choose the birth they want (if possible). On the other hand, it is really easy to burn out because it is a very emotionally demanding work, this is why I stopped. This particular woman not only needs the Italian birthing partner, though, she also has a husband who might be a bit too squeamish to attend her birth, and her mother is not the person of choice for her (I can well understand that one!). It will happen in March, watch this space till then!

Billy858, I can only echo Broomstick's wise words, your DD loves you even if she is not showing it - is she a teenager? Try not to take it too much at heart (I know, easier said than done!), this is standard behaviour and she will grow out of it - eventually! (((HUGS)))

Boodle, sorry to hear that you are going through some stress, well done on focusing on the positive and posting your pleasures anyway, the best way to cheer up I think!

Here are my pleasures for the day:

1 - Early morning, sourdough bread in the oven, as well as a batch of soda scones and a soda bread (using up both my dairy and non dairy kefir products).

2 - In between making breads, I managed also to cook a mix veg casserole in the oven, to take advantage of the fact it is already on, saving on gas, and dinner is virtually done (casserole AND bread - sorted!).

3 - DD dragged me to the usual Thursday aerobics which I did not want to go but managed to, in the end, and was well pleased to have made the effort.

4 - Lovely weather and a large laundry load is hanging out in the garden (chillin'out ).

5 - Magazine through the post, looking forward to a tea break in a little while, with my mag and a scone!

Have a good evening everybody, I am back to work now :rolleyes:
Living a simple life in a complicated world.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Caterina For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
Knitty78
Old 29-10-2009, 4:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Afternoon everyone. Not really much OS for me today as I was feeling poorly this morning so bought both breakfast and lunch during the day rather than bringing my own in.

1 - I stripped my chicken this morning and now have a large tupperware full of it

2 - resulting carcuss as well as a small one I had kept in the freezer and in my slow cooker to hopefully make stock with

3 - Pumpkin at the ready to carve at home, hopefully make some soup along with the above stock (although I have heard that Halloween Pumpkins don't have a good flavour)

4 - My Good Food Magazine came through the post yesterday so I have that to look forward to later - even better that the subscription was paid for with my tesco clubcard vouchers.

5 - We can dress down tomorrow in work (Ok not Old Style or MSE as it's for charity but it's the best I can muster).
Debt at lightbulb moment (18 Aug 2009) 30933.95,

Debt 1 July 2011 9663.71
Debt free dateFebruary 2017 September 2016
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Knitty78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
HariboJunkie
Old 29-10-2009, 8:15 PM

Location: On the stairs picking up toys before someone breaks their neck.

Mine today

1. Same as Knitty's number 4.

2. Carving 2 enormous pumpkins with the girls (99p at Lidl) and laughing at the dog barking at them.

3. Snuggled on the sofa with the girls and watching and listening to an amazing thunderstorm.

4. Coffee and HM cake with my good friend.

5. Reading Olliebeak's post and appreciating the time she takes to mention everyone.

Haribo x
I've tried gardening, yoga, meditation and medication and I still want to scream.

Saved in 2012 6087. Saved so far in 2013 500.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to HariboJunkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
Boodle
Old 29-10-2009, 8:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterina View Post
Boodle, sorry to hear that you are going through some stress, well done on focusing on the positive and posting your pleasures anyway, the best way to cheer up I think!
Thanks Caterina - I agree 100% Which leads to some more from me, I'm afraid

1. A lovely bubble bath and managed about 10 minutes reading my book in peace before DD came barging in to play with the suds

2. Above-mentioned book which is really rather good.

3. Making a dent in the flylady lists for the week, despite having a mad catch-up and felt earlier as though I really wasn't getting anywhere.

4. Making arrangements to go to a pals for coffee and catch-up tomorrow.

5. Looking forward to chilling out with DH this evening and maybe doing a bit of knitting

Hope you all have a lovely evening x
It's all for my girls
Personal GC - 150 pm
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Boodle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
Boodle
Old 29-10-2009, 8:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariboJunkie View Post
5. Reading Olliebeak's post and appreciating the time she takes to mention everyone.
I second that
It's all for my girls
Personal GC - 150 pm
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Boodle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
Frith
Old 29-10-2009, 10:15 PM

Have felt down again tomorrow so I've decided to take my sons to Wales tomorrow! This is a mammoth operation (nearest station is 15 miles away, then 2 trains, then a bus....) We're going to the Centre for Alternative Technology.

Anyway, 5 for today:

1) We got all the craft things out. Bigger son is interested in recycling and wants to write off to Blue Peter and see if he can get a "green" Blue Peter badge! So we made a rocket where you can put your old tin cans inside. Need some duck tape and silver spray to finish it off, though.

2) I made them a tiny garage each, basically made from old modem boxes with a ramp attached. They played with them for about 2 hours with every car they could find!

3) Watched the Sarah Jane Adventures. They watch it anyway but I watched it with more interest than usual because Dr Who was involved....

4) Made some flapjacks.

5) Hard to think of a 5th today but I'll say looking after next door's animals coming to an end (they're back from holiday tomorrow). I always worry about a cat/fish/guinea pig expiring before they come back so its quite a relief!

L
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Frith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
scotrae
Old 29-10-2009, 10:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

1. Waking up warm and ache-free in my own bed after a caravan mattress.

2. Being back at work and realising I'm on schedule to tie everything up neatly ready for my redundancy tomorrow.:rolleyes:

3. Thinking ahead to my 'fresh start' come November 1st - back in the regime of the Grocery Challenge and menu planning.

4. Eating chicken curry followed by Ben & Jerry's - sauce, naans and ice cream on silly offer prices from a trek to a distant Asda recently. Chicken from '3 for 2' frozen offer at our local farm shop butcher's.

5. About to have a nice warm bubbly bath and write my list of all the things that I'm aiming to do to reinvent and reinvigorate myself post-redundancy.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to scotrae For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
Broomstick
Old 30-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Boodle - I agree so much with you about the joy of feeding a baby. It's such a treasured memory. It reminded me of another (life-saving ) idea that a La Leche leader once said to me about that middle-of-the-night time when one's baby has woken for yet another feed. She said that she used to curl up with her child and think of all the other women around the globe who had been woken up, or had had to stop what they were doing, to feed their baby at that same moment in time. She said it made her feel really connected to other people who would understand.

My five pleasures for today:

1. Getting the rest of my clothes dried on the line while we were out.

2. DS2 sneaking cuddles seemingly at every available moment throughout today.

3. Sorting out a new Abel and Cole delivery for next week because I will get a 10 discount off the next order after that. It's been ages since we've had a veggiebox.

4. Buying a cheap hand blender stick-thing at Mr S (the last one died) so that I can get souping end-of-week veg again.

5. DS1 showing me the poster he'd been working on all day at his voluntary job - it looks fabulous.

Sweet dreams
B xxx
~ 2 pot for 2014 car tax: 40 saved ~
~ all other savings pots being raided atm to pay for all kinds of bits for unexpected house move~
~ Pedometer project on hold! ~
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Broomstick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
billy858
Old 30-10-2009, 8:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Feeling much better today. Caterina, Broomstick, Honey and Olliebeak many thanks for your kind and wise words. The subject matter is 13 years old so I had better get used to dealing with this kind of behaviour. My friend said it gets better when they reach 20!!!!
Anyway, mine for yesterday,
1. DH bringing me coffee in bed in the morning.
2. Homemade pepper quiche for tea.
3. Trying a new recipe for sticky toffee pudding.
4. Having time to finish reading my book.
5. Watching the birds on the feeder while doing the washing up.
Love to all. X
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to billy858 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
Olliebeak
Old 30-10-2009, 9:08 AM

Good m-o-r-n-ing all - I'm really enjoying these lighter mornings, well at least for the next few weeks till they go dark again . This is the time of year that I really do appreciate working from home-based office.

Thank you all very much for your lovely comments on my postings. But I do have to confess that my memory is quite rubbish - got to that stage in life where I can't do anything without lists . I open 'our thread' twice on two different tabs (side by side), then do my 'reply' on one tab while 'scrolling/reading down the posts' on the other tab.

floss2 - how lovely that your OH takes the time to watch the swans and then share their progress with you by text. And on the wedding dress bargain.
culpepper - well done on the outdoor drying yesterday and enjoying the outdoor warmth while doing your cabbages.
zippychick - good batch of soup making there - never used pumpkin myself, but we l-u-r-v-e carrot soup. Glad to hear your kitty is picking up now - ours had to be pts back in April and we still miss him - still think we can hear him 'sighing' occasionally.
Boodle - ((((hugs)))) for you and hope the stresses ease off you for a while. I too used to stand back and admire my line of washing when my kids were young - especially the cloth nappies blowing in the fresh air . Well done you on the breast-feeding .
SunnyGirl - lol at your No.3 - 3 and 7 after teens is a doddle .
Caterina - Wow - yet another of your early morning cooking/baking sessions . And on making the effort for the aerobics class after all.
Knitty78 - (((hugs))) on not feeling very well yesterday. Don't worry about having to buy your brekkie/lunch, I'm pretty sure that all your OS stuff more than balanced things up . Hope your soup turns out well .
Haribo - Wow - you've had a thunderstorm - in October! at your dog with the pumpkins.
Boodle - congrats on managing to read your book for 10 mins before being disturbed in the bath :rolleyes:.
ACEY - Well done on keeping your boys busy with craft stuff - this particular half-term can be difficult with the shorter days and (normally) cooler weather. When I think of the freedom that I, and my friends, enjoyed in the 50's/early 60's, I am so happy that I had my childhood then and not now . Hope you all enjoy the Centre for Alternative Technology today .
scotrae - nothing like your own bed after a holiday, is there ! Sorry to hear about your redundancy - yet another of life's great challenges :rolleyes: (been there myself and it made me very ) - hope all goes well for you and your family.
Broomstick - awww I've now got tears in my eyes . I wish I'd been told that thought about connecting with other women all over the world, when I was younger. It felt like the loneliest thing in the world at the time - especially when your OH was snoring away on the other side of the bed! Well done on the veggiebox discount .
billy858 - now I wonder how we managed to guess that 'the subject matter' is 13 - hormones a-plenty! Too young to be considered an adult and too old to be considered a child - 'poor woe-be-gone' teens always want to be both whichever suits them best at the time . Remember Harry Enfield's 'Kevin the teenager' - we all laughed our socks off at him, but he so accurately portrayed. You are about to get onto the 'rollercoaster ride' of your lifetime - but, believe me, the day eventually comes when it's over and you can look at the adult that emerges from it while thinking proudly to yourself 'I nurtured that person'. But for now (((((BIG HUGS))))) to be going on with .

Mine for yesterday are

1. Phone call from DS1 (the one on the fishing trip to Scotland) to say they were on a drive to Tyndrum to the Green Welly Shop and were heading for Glencoe - enjoying the break from fishing (but not catching). I'm so envious, just wish I was with them as it's my favourite part of UK.

2. Phone call from DD - feeling a little better and her ex-OH had taken the two youngest out for the day as it was his birthday and he'd taken the day off work.

3. Spent time sewing nametapes on new uniform for dgs1 for next week and altering 2 pairs of trousers that were too long.

4. Pork chops, mash with carrot and swede for evening meal last night (had been defrosted for the night before but not used as we went to DD's).

5. Chatting to my sister on the phone for a while with ideas for mum's 80th birthday in Feb. We're doing the catering between us - can't believe I've committed myself to doing that again so soon after last weekend's exploits . She also had news of an old family friend that I haven't seen for around 36 years. She works in a large 'department-type store' in our home-town and gets to see just everybody that we've ever known!

6. Spent an hour de-cluttering in the bedroom - disgusted about how untidy/messy it had become. Had a bit of a shifty around to make more space and discovered things I had planned for LAST Christmas and then lost. Lots of crap stuff for the recycling bin. Will need to finish it all off today .

7. Lazy evening meal for tonight - oven fish and chips out of the freezer!

8. Really looking forward to Emmerdale and Corrie tonight .

Hope we all have a great day and have a lovely weekend to look forward to - love Ollie xxx
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Olliebeak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
bunny too
Old 30-10-2009, 9:09 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Moning to everyone, and big hugs to those who need them. My 5 for today are

1. finish the ironing. read the new ironing thread on here, lots of peeps don't like it.Always knew i was strange.

2. Making pizza dough for freezer.

3. nsd staying at home. Friends house tonight for bit of a party with her kids. Will make apple tart to take with me.

4. try and get son's cookery book finished today, taken longer to do than first thought.

5. Do a bit of research on here, re wine making and veg growing. Made myself a list to work down on my mse way of life. Have managed to make my way down it, only a few things left now. Only taken nearly 2 years, baby steps...

have a great os day everyone, enjoy reading every post, and getting to know everyone a little better.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bunny too For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
Boodle
Old 30-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Broomstick - that is such a lovely thought. Luckily we are through the waking during the night phase, though! With having DD2 in late spring, it wasn't too bad because they were short nights, whereas I had DD1 in November and those nights seemed to last forever!

Olliebeak - thanks for the hugs. I am feeling a bit lighter today so I am hoping there will be no raining on parades today And lucky DS, I say! We love it visiting that area too. My memory of the Green Welly Shop is when I was heavily pregnant with DD1, we had been driving for ages and I was busting for a pee so badly that poor DH had to practically carry me from the car cos I frightened to get up Aw sweet memories!
It's all for my girls
Personal GC - 150 pm
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Boodle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
Frith
Old 30-10-2009, 5:39 PM

We didn't go to Wales today as bigger son woke up with tummy ache. I think he gets very nervous about being travel sick - as soon as I said we would postpone the trip, he never mentioned the tummy ache again!

5 for today....

1) Had a nice phone call from my sister this morning who reminded me, although I feel ridiculously low and tired at the moment, that I have felt worse than this and I will probably perk up again in a few days.

2) Smaller son's tooth fell out! Its the first one that he has lost :-)

3) Went round the 2nd hand shops and found him a little silver pot to put the tooth in under his pillow (his tooth is minute, like a grain of rice!)

4) Went to W1lkos to get wine making stuff so I can bottle the wine I made in 2007....

5) Going to go to mum and dad's house in a minute. M and D are on holiday so my sister is staying there to look after the animals (sheep, pigs, poultry, insane dog and cat) My sons are coming to and we're going to WALK TO THE PUB!!!! It really has taken my mind back, I used to go up there when I was about 18! They live in the middle of nowhere and its a 2 mile pitch black, narrow lane so it'll be a real adventure for the boys.

Best wishes to all.
L
P.S Wales tomorrow, with a bit of luck!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Frith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
SunnyGirl
Old 30-10-2009, 6:33 PM

Good evening all

Hugs to anyone who is feeling down at the moment it's a good idea to come on this thread and count blessings - it certainly helps me when I'm having a bad day.

My five for today are:

1. Being ridiculously excited once I found out that my fave tv show - Spooks - is back on next Wednesday

2. Having a lovely couple of hours with my friend this morning - lots of cuppa's & laughing.

3. Went to a local garden centre just for a look round - Managed to resist buying anything amazingly

4. Waking up at 8.45am worried that we'd all be late & realising that it is the school/college holidays

5. Half an hour with the paper after our meal tonight - very rare so all the more enjoyable.

I hope that everyone has a pleasant evening.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SunnyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
Caterina
Old 30-10-2009, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy858 View Post
...The subject matter is 13 years old so I had better get used to dealing with this kind of behaviour. My friend said it gets better when they reach 20!!!!
They DO! I know it seems unbelievable at the moment and it is possible that you might have a few more years of ups and downs, but eventually the lovely person that was your child gets returned to you in the guise of a delightful young adult.

I am sure that a lot of old time regulars on this forum have read my desperate posts about my DS, who in his early teens got entangled in seriously dangerous behaviour. At the time I honestly felt like my lovely boy had been kidnapped by aliens and replaced by Kevin the Teenager (Ollie, spot on!). Miraculously, though, my sweet child has been returned to me, older, wiser and infintely more pleasant.

Good luck, get as much support from other parents and from your family members if appropriate, and you will ride the teenage years like so many of us have done (not easily, but trusting that something will change eventually, and it does).

Here are my five for today:

1 - No-work-day today, as I have completed my 52 monthly hours yesterday.

2 - Session at the herbal clinic, the practitioner found me in excellent health and although I do not need any medication as such she prepared a nice tonic to see my immune system well through the winter.

3 - Found 2 for 1 plum punnets at Mr S so I bought them and made spicy plum and apple jam (with ginger, cinnamon and chilli). It came out very yummy!

4 - Brought a pot of above jam to my friend as a gift (not expecting an exchange!) but she insisted on giving me a jar of wild damson jam and a small jar of quince jelly.

5 - Anticipating tomorrow, when I shall go go the Bristol OS meet, really looking forward to meet old acquaintances and new faces!

Have a great evening everybody xxx
Living a simple life in a complicated world.

Last edited by Caterina; 30-10-2009 at 7:06 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Caterina For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
angeltreats
Old 30-10-2009, 7:09 PM

1. Finally getting around to weighing out fruit and pouring lots of brandy over it for the Christmas cake (which I will finish tomorrow)

2. Finding a lovely Mary Berry cookbook in a charity shop and making a lovely tray bake from one of the recipes

3. Visiting Marlborough with DH and treating ourselves the most gorgeous, gorgeous meal in a pub there - 10 for two and I had guinea fowl and DH had a fabulous proper steak and ale pie. We left with stuffed bellies and massive grins!

4. Finding my half-finished and previously lost Harry Potter book (it was hiding in our spare room) so now I can finish it

5. FINALLY getting a wardrobe delivered to our new house, staining it antique pine and unpacking the fifteen thousand black bin bags of clothes that were hiding in the spare room
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to angeltreats For This Useful Post: Show me >>