Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1904
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 32,461 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good morning from Hobart, Tasmania...land of the intermittent Internet ( or it is in our hotel)

Beautiful city , right by the water and I just love being here.

A trip with a purpose , as was mine & OHs trip here in January. Big decisions lie ahead but for now time to just enjoy, relax and take in the stunning views.

Hotel is perfectly fine, all one long room with a kitchen, a bathroom, living / dining area and beds. You can see the sea if you crick your neck at the window. 2 minute walk to the harbour. I've went down to see the sunrise past 2 mornings . Just stunning.

Went to Museum of Tasmania yesterday, it was free. Bit too many kids running around but it is school holidays.soem really nice exhibitions. Especially liked the E H Shepard one of Winnie the Pooh illustrations.

We've enjoyed some nice food and whilst going to a dessert bar for dinner isn't realistic for every day life it's perfectly acceptable for holidays!
    Been sharing the food and the cost of food.

Had a very nice Chinese meal for lunch yesterday, sat outside, overlooked marina and just enjoyed the experience. Was half the cost of what dinner would have been.

Being with my girls....could quite easily have ran away at times but mainly we've all got on! We've all been enjoying afternoon snoozes ...then getting up to go out for cake!

Late flight home tonight, won't get in till after midnight then alarm will go off at 5.30am for work! Just as well it will be a Thursday and I do like a Thursday at work!
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 12th Jul 17, 6:00 AM
    • 8,275 Posts
    • 31,498 Thanks
    ampersand
    1. It's as big soggy here in Dunkerque as in Albion:-), but & is in France, sa belle, with 2 hrs extra:-))). Arrived at Dover after horror drive of floody cauchemars, to be offered the 2bells starter. Oui merci!

2. So glad the mowing was done, post passim.

3. A big letter done, alerted, sent.

4. Another letter received...& has won 1st AND 2nd monthly LP draw prizes, totalling £75!!! Cheque banked. V. nice offset to €purchase.

5. Listening to France Info as I write this via mob. &'s been not in great nick of recent late, apparently, so true appreciation of our valiant and precious NHS generally and amazing "right now" insistence of various medics yday, meaning & lives on:-), guaranteeing high & nuisance value for many years yet. But this osp 5 has not yet worked out how & can go to Meriva boot, sort out pharmacy, stay dry. It's still thundering down. Tears of Brexit!
    #
    Frith - yikes! The C or the L? I see comments are still cementing themselves in. Pile in, why don't you?
    #
    Adieu@0658cloches from bop's fave furrin climb. No more lost jkts need sending. That job's done:-) .
    Last edited by ampersand; 12-07-2017 at 7:21 AM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 28,016 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Softies, joining Human Remains, Social Workers ,and Educationalists on BoP’s list of nonesensesness! Just imagine the room with a 40W light, three chairs, two desks and throwing them in there. Wander who does not get the chair? The desks are superfluous to their needs!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Frith &. Yous don't has to get BoP started about them!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • house elf
    • By house elf 12th Jul 17, 6:38 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 7,934 Thanks
    house elf
    Dear Frith, your tale of the primary school teacher makes my heart ache. Can't believe anyone would still employ her😡 . & hope you are well.

Loving the descriptions of holidays and breaks away. Makes me envious!

Recent Pleasures

DH and I beat more of the garden back.

DH and DS2 dismantled the trampoline. Bitter sweet. The end of an era. The kids too old / too cool to play on it. Hopefully the grass will grow again. Now on eBay.

Reading 'The Reason I Jump'.

Went to see Spider-Man last night. V good! Didn't even fall asleep once!

Been lucky with the Yellow stickers in T, W and A. (Even had lamb chops on Sunday!).

School musical production today. Need to dress in medieval outfit. Thought I would be too hot, but thankfully cooler after the rain, so velour frock and headdress will be ok! 😀

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 12th Jul 17, 6:43 AM
    • 8,275 Posts
    • 31,498 Thanks
    ampersand
    A bit of roving rapportage as & has just pulled in beside her habitual Maison de la Presse, to buy aujourd'hui's Voix du Nord(no, not Brel) and juillet's Aladin and Antiquit!s Brocantes mags. Back soon.
    #
    Steady the buffs, bop. That tutu's not for shredding.
    #
    ...and back again, also with cp's / pc's
    and special edition hommage à Simone Weil.
    1st thermos breeched.
    Jour de march!, too����))))). Who wants to be here and not there?
    Last edited by ampersand; 12-07-2017 at 7:16 AM. Reason: Well, those 'points d'interrogation' were tricolores tapped by &. Wretched autocorrect, ignorant semi-colonics
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Frith
    • By Frith 12th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 39,714 Thanks
    Frith
    Ampersand - CT
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 12th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 6,023 Thanks
    MandM90
    1. Managed to get myself together this morning and - despite arriving home at 1am - got up early enough to whizz round kitchen and throw together some HM pesto, pasta and peas for lunch.

2. Free coffee at work will help get me through the morning. They have started buying soya milk so I no longer have to buy my own

3. Landscapers will start to put in our shed base today. OH commutes to work on a (very fancy) bike so can't leave it outside. When we get a secure shed I will no longer have a bike inside my tiny kitchen every evening. YAY!

4. Looking forward to the yummy dinner I have planned.

5. House is looking all tidy. Looking forward to going home and snuggling with my gorgeous husband tonight.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Jul 17, 12:11 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 28,016 Thanks
    Guess IT had to happen!
    5 Down, and I do mean down, at the mill I have finally been downgraded. Hence why BoP is late in the alphabet for such transgressions by IT. Finally got to the new network, which believe it or not is exactly the same as the old one, only the links no longer work! The Email is also downgraded and new password features deployed. So when the switch started back inn February last, I fortunately lost access to the millwrights buck of face at mill system, and hence all the nice happenings at the mill were just not getting through! I did not miss them, but have deleted 576 nonesenseness bull from the inbox.

I did not miss anything!

4 And to thinks I has been ranting this week about my favourites. Commas with the educationalists,,,, Human Remains with the cvs.So been doing my work with these HR types this week. So I am not all against those types after all.

3 With all the action going on, I hardly had time for my cakes of Jaffa this morning! Tea was drunk though, copious ammounts. Mind I read that coffee makes you live longer. Alas, I am being kept artificially alive! Jenny sends her

2 Last night we watched the Three Amigoes!

And IT, if it works, we’re here to break it!

PS. Downgrade has finally completed. I cannot see or get emails!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 12-07-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    I soled my last sock
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 153,446 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    That is one fabulously silly and funny film BOP it made the girls actually cry laughing when they were little, along with 'Spaceballs' and 'Robin Hood Men in Tights' and the Naked Gun series.....those were the days!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 28,016 Thanks
    Ah Ms Lurcher. Airplane. Training film. Well known inn my millwright's sphere of influence. Fellow boiler stokers are well versed in the scenes!
    I soled my last sock
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 12th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 19,252 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Last day of freedom, bah humbug back to the office tomorrow.

1 We enjoyed not getting up to an alarm.
    2 We went out to re stock on fresh bits.
    3 We had a treat of lunch at the Range a lovely toasted panini and salad.
    4 It was lovely to catch up with DB on the phone and it was nice to catch up, I do wish we lived closer.
    5 Candles lit, re watching MIB 2 on freeview.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Jul 17, 12:11 AM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 39,714 Thanks
    Frith
    A busy day today.

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Smaller son's big meeting at school. Always unnerving to walk in and members of staff recognise you because you look so much like him. Took 2 hours.

3) Had a cup of tea at Sainsburys afterwards and the lady in the tea shop kept the coffee grounds for me (for the garden).

4) Showed bigger son how to cook omelette, as he has got addicted to them!

5) Quick tidy up and cleaned the turtle tank out.

6) My school friend came round bearing dinner.

7) Dropped smaller son off at football then picked him up again. School friend came with me. A change to have someone to speak to in the car.

8) Bigger son is out at a birthday party.

9) Plasterer popped in earlier and he will hopefully start the week after next.

10) In bed now and will watch the end of Holby City.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 32,461 Thanks
    mhagster
    Lost a post...went along the lines of

Home
    Good drying day for washing.
    Good shift at work.
    Nice letter from a friend from home.
    Lovely parcel of Percy pigs from friend .
    Mince and tattles for tea...can't eat puddings every night!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 18,285 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have been lurking as DP's have been here helping with puppy proofing! Recent pleasures

1. puppy gate fixed in kitchen thanks to DF's d-i-y
    2. ditto puppy run in garden
    3. old (slightly broken) wardrobe advertised on gumtree for free but no takers - now chopped up by DF and will fit in my car ready for tip run tomorrow
    4. lashings of rain - garden needed it
    5. nice Chinese, lovely DM's home cooking and nice meal out last night to thank them for all hard work - £5.99 8oz steak chips onion rings mushrooms peas half grilled tom plus sauce £1, DS & his gf made an appearance too so was nice family occasion.

Day off work tomorrow
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 153,446 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Another nice day, another nice picking of blackberries .....and another two courgettes, nature is bountiful.....Oh yes and a good handful of ripe tomatoes from the greenhouse too!

2) We went for a nice swim this morning before lunch, pool not too crowded but the water felt a bit cool until you were fully immersed.

3) Made us a nice salad for lunch with some berries from the plot to follow, yummy!

4) I picked the first properly ripe fig from my tree this morning and noticed another one has turned 'down' and is beginning to go brown at the base, love them fresh off the tree still warm from the sun.

5) Really nice evening out with my brother and sister in law last night, nice meal and lots of catching up and laughing, really pleasant.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 13th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 19,252 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Mrs LW, wow on the various veg pickings, I am still getting the hang of things but bugs, bettles and slugs keep beating me! And I can't find any blackberrys yet, I am going to have to have a forage at the weekend.

Mhags your trip to Taz sounds busy and lovely.

1 To find pleasures in work it’s best to look at it as, I have 21 days left, that is perfect. After a long journey back and various detours, I had to pass a lidl so picked up carrots, strawberries, and lettuce for today and tomorrow, I smiled at how healthy it seems.

2 Bought in various line dried loads and put another load on.

3 Haddock with broccoli, carrots, and new pots will be dinner.

4 The gardens rather overgrown at the moment and the animals are loving it, it’s a small animal sized meadow.

5 A guilty pleasure, the Simpsons on plus 1.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Jul 17, 11:45 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 39,714 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Smaller son had a decent day at school.

3) Dentist was very nice to me, particularly after I flaked out midway through her poking about :-/ Turns out the little sliver of wisdom tooth left is not dead after all! She filled it (5th time) and the filling fell out while I was still in the chair. She wants to take it out - and quickly, while there is still something to get hold of. Bleurgh. I told her about my brother's wisdom tooth extraction going terribly wrong and said "Was it a lower tooth? They are the DEVIL'S WORK" !!

4) Tidied vaguely and watched a bit of the Konta game.

5) Been watching TV in bed this evening.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 32,461 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hurrah it's Friday.

Work was fine. Chit chats with a few customers.

Bought a candlestick and candle in Salvos, for my Christmas in July party next weekend, I intend it weave ivy around it and maybe the occasional camellia.

Saw daffodils in a garden whilst out dog walking...Spring may be just around the corner. Was a wet start ( which is good for the garden) and then brightened into a very blustery but dry day. The tiniest of showers this afternoon meant I saw a stunning rainbow at just the right time. Washing dried.

Had to go to Centrelink which is like , I suppose department of work and pensions. Rather soul destroying . Anyway, claim made for something a bit like family allowance which is income tested and would be back paid till when OH died. Horrid, horrid system and I felt quiet distressed by it all.

Then had to come home and do more paperwork. It's Australian tax time and dealing with UK tax return as well. Anyway, I suppose pleasure is I dealt with what needed doing today. Had written a list at work this morning and was able to tick everything off. Got upset at one point and then just looked up and saw that rainbow.

Nice doggy walk to post a letter.

Put out a greenhouse last week on sunday and it was taken that night but no one seemed to want the whiteboard ...DD1 wrote on it this afternoon...do you like free stuff? Do you like whiteboards? Please have a free whiteboard... It's gone!

Have a good day
    Last edited by mhagster; 14-07-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 28,016 Thanks
    Wobbleade chits required ... Urgently!
    5 So Wes booked holiday again. Apple of Big, again! Only now we has to pay for it same week as mortgage. Wobbleade chits needed urgently! Bo.psie is on bean on crumbs. Please think of BoPsie when you eat today!

4 And we is off to the best fish and chip plaice tomorrow as well. We'll peer in the windows! Steels Corner House! Please send Wobbleades chits.

3 BoPsie looked at the shows. Do we really have to go front row again? Your Wobbleade chits will be well used.

2 Night we are waiting the honest men against killie. Used to live up there and was at Somerset park more than once. Good times?

We can go with your original stories!
    I soled my last sock
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 18,285 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Friday pleasures

1. day off work

2. trip to B&M and they had the 9 bags of purple slate on offer that I wanted £3.99 a bag or 3 for £10 almost half the price of BnQ

3. the lovely man from B&M who loaded the bags of slate onto a flatbed trolley, pushed it to my car and loaded it into the back

4 pleasant temperature outside, laid half the slate and managed one load of washing.

5. half a box of paperwork shredded and put into rubbish bags before the bin men came to collect

6. just made a chilli to use up some mince and had it on cheesy chips... nom nom nom
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

326Posts Today

1,956Users online

Martin's Twitter