Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1894
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 11,012 Posts
    • 152,249 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's such a beautiful area isn't it Frith? I love the drive in to the show ground out through Hartpury and across Castlemorton Common, the hills are glorious!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 19th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    MandM90
    1. Washing drying outside in under an hour
    2. Managing to get another blog post written (but not published)
    3. Home cooked lentil burgers, homemade bread and salad for dinner
    4. Snuggling up with a library book (book three of The Last Kingdom)
    5. Going to sleep with a squeaky clean kitchen
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Frith
    • By Frith 19th Jun 17, 9:53 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 39,539 Thanks
    Frith
    MrsLW - Castlemorton Common.... I was desperate to go to the festival there (1993?) but had to be content travelling past the stragglers who continued camping in Worcs afterwards, as I went past on the bus on my way to Sixth Form College! I don't know that bit well as it isn't "our" end of Malvern.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 20th Jun 17, 12:22 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 14,405 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Hmm, freed knees and horsehair and lime plaster....my goodness
    Fish in my house is paired with pico de gallo.

* Condo on the market up north that looks great and is cheap! I've been looking for three years. DD1 is viewing it tonight and will say sold for us, if it looks good after she's seen it. This will be a small (well tiny actually) place for us to stay when in Albuquerque. We have three children plus our darling babygirl who live there so it makes a lot of sense to us. We have always stayed with DD1 but her marriage is tenuous (to put it mildly) so we find ourselves going less that we would if we had a place to retreat to when the bullets start flying. Did I mention her husband can be a jerk? So, if this works out, we can be a help to her without being under his feet.

* As for fish, this is NOT a fave of DH unless he catches it himself. It was on the menu but I had mercy and served chili cheese dawgs instead. He's grinning between bites. He won't be so lucky tomorrow night!

* Watching Quoy! in her little pool on FT. At some point she decided swimsuits were not necessary. Being three is fun! (Tall fence encloses their patio)

* Thinking of how a little condo will help me declutter my house. Happy dance! Let's see we get to buy it. DD1 and the realtor called during viewing and we are putting an offer in....it's wait and see now.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 20-06-2017 at 1:41 AM.
    Who said it was easy. [Coldplay]
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 20th Jun 17, 12:35 AM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Thinking of you vl and your mil
    1) sunny weather over the weekend - went to garden centre with mum. We had our 'free' cups of tea (i.e. Comes with our membership, but very good value if we make use of our free tea) on the balcony
    2) home and got pots planted. Better late than ever (and plants were half price)
    3) then ceilidh. Good fun. Due to cold shined offer of free alcohol, but got given bottle of red wine to take home
    4) lovely Sunday school, not least cos the rubbish has joe been removed. Decluttering is very therapeutic
    5) then lunch with friends in beer garden. Scrummy chicken salad
    6) then off to free knitting workshop - botanics Mathematica. I knitted a binary tree - first thing I have finished on 4 needles yay
    7) home via town where I bought some little treats for friend whose big c has made an unwelcome return
    8) and today celebrated gbf's birthday. Got him a peacock notebook, bottle of white wine, box of green and blacks, book by Scarlett somebody-or-other, plum chutney and French mustard. Guessed the connection? Mr piano cooked nice tea and I bought a gruffslo cake (half price). We out an outrageous little candelabra on it (from tiger) with 9 candles and mr piano camped up happy birthday Liberace eat your heart out
    Off to Exeter tomorrow for a conference. Night all x
    • house elf
    • By house elf 20th Jun 17, 6:08 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 7,635 Thanks
    house elf
    Good morning All,

Mila I have recently discovered Pica de Gallo from watching the 'Pioneer Woman' on the Food Channel. I may be addicted!

Yesterday

1. Reassuring visit to Doctors.

2. Comp tickets to concert at Symphony Hall. (Sings 'Let it Go' in Frozen).

3. Had to do ICT cover, but room has air conditioning.

4. NSD

5. Lovely sunshine.

Why was that so difficult?!
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 20th Jun 17, 7:10 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 12,427 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. MIL has moved. In the end an ambulance took her. Her neighbour helped her leave. She seems happy there, thankfully. The food is good, it must be better than the ready meals that she has been eating.
    She seems to like the people on first impressions which is promising.
    Hopefully she will not deteriorate mentally as fast as she has been if there are people around more often as she won't do anything to help herself.

2. DH managed to get a locksmith in the evening to change the locks on her day as MIL had given keys to everyone she knew I think.

3. Work was very hot and airless but had to frequently speak to the person who worked in the one air conditioned room.

4. Watered plants in the garden and dug up some potatoes and picked raspberries.

5. Cooked fish pie for tea which was tasty. We may be on ready meals for a while though. MIL has 26 ready meals in her freezer!!

Pleased that today was better for MIL than I thought it would be.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 20th Jun 17, 8:37 AM
    • 4,780 Posts
    • 68,924 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Moooooooorning, it's Glastonbury eve and there is much to be done

Pleasures for yesterday

1. My ticket has landed, I can now be excited
    2. Warm sunshine
    3. Washing dried on the line
    4. DD came back and had a wonderful (thou unpaid) experience recording an audio book. Key word is experience
    5. Made quiche Lorraine for tea which we ate in the garden. Lovely.

Have a fabby day
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 20th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 32,207 Thanks
    mhagster
    Yay to tickets arriving vjsmum enjoy!

Hope your MIL settles in VL when I nursed back in the olden days I always thought it must be so hard to go from your own home to a room, so there will be a period of adjustment but I think most care/ nursing homes make an effort to encourage the residents to join in and have lots of things to participate in. Good food is a bonus too! The one my late MIL was in put a bird table outside her window so she could watch the birds and the odd cheeky squirrel.

Work was surprisingly okay for a Tuesday !

There is a vision of loveliness in my office. There is an actual shiny surface on my desk. Emails, wretched phone calls, more forms to be filled out but I can see a ( hopeful) ray of light at the end of all the stuff needed doing.

A weed free herb garden.
    A weed free area around the fig tree and mandarin tree...and one wee solitary fig. Garden bin filled with said weeds.

Boy child using only one crutch and weight bearing and managed to make his own breakfast!

Nice messages and emails from friends and family.

Have a good day
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 20th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,595 Posts
    • 18,790 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Pleased to read of better day than envisaged for MIL VL hope she settles in well.
    How exciting VJM used to go to the Cambridge folk festival and Reading in me youf but have never done Glastonbury.
    The birthday celebrations sound sublime DD
    Some recent pleasures,

That my summer off is so warm and can therefore more or less live in the garden, must remember this when (potentially) sitting in office next year.
    Visit from hollow legged ones on Sunday, they arrived with several clanking bags with various artisan beers for their Dad, ate a lot of cake and stayed until lured away by siren call of more food at a pals barbecue.
    Small dog in paddling pool.
    Large dog crunching ice cubes.
    Two hulky males turned up and are now cutting the large hedge surrounding the house, shame as it was just coming into flower but pleasure is Capt S will stop threatening to do it himself and all that would entail!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 20th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 4,576 Posts
    • 27,576 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I'll get my coat ...
    Ah, the backroad from Glawster to Hartpury. Very twisty so be careful on it! What is 6th form? I missed it as I was at college at 14! Knitting Botanics now where is that book from Oxford that lists statistics, that puts the flowers into arithmetic! I will try and look for it. As for the free wine. Yes typical!

Wave to DD at Almondsbury around 4:40 this afternoon! She will be well above it! Oh, VJ Wellies!

5 Just had the alarms go off at the mill and it seems that we forget today was Tuesday and not Monday. A day late does not mind anyone. At least the tea pot was full and the biscuits were ready. Otherwise, there could have been Trouble at Mill! All is well though and the new bails of cotton are running wild!

4 It was a scorcher yesterday and more to come. Please keep cool by quaffing, and this is especially for VJ, proper wobbleade and yous can never have too much! More and loads more later.

3 As such that the thing of yellow is burning along, BoPsie has got the ice cream and fresh raspberries ready. Strawberries will be added. Tum will be rubbed later today. Not only that, but BoPsie, who is inn the know, has looked at my in linked page and noticed that my peer has offed legs and gone to Paris, Le Bouget! She again requests a visit to their flying parlour days, No No No No No No No No No No No No No No Not on yer Nelly! Busman’s holiday. Not a chance in hell on high water!

2 Meanwhile as I write this ditty again, elevenses are due and today, the pot is full Biscuit of digestive was taken. No cakes of jaffa this week as emporium w8rs has upped the price. This is the price the proletariat has to pay for being so ignorant last year of our leaders and say to Europe we want no more. I’m packing me bags and going!

Man has progressed no further that what the King sang about the boy from Chicago!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2,916 Posts
    • 18,178 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    phew its hot ! Not sure how you manage MHags !

1. air con at work
    2. felt better after an hour cooling down and ate some breakfast taken from home
    3. have managed to swap my annual leave to cover when DS is away for puppy sitting. All but 2 days agreed so will have 2 months to sort out those days if all goes ahead after Saturday viewing
    4. lovely breeze along the south coast
    5. afternoon snooze and fan on !

Luckily DS has been BBQ'ing the last few evenings so no cooking for me in hot kitchen
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 11,012 Posts
    • 152,249 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) BMI 23.9 today.....getting there!

2) Wearing a skirt for the first time in about 15 years.....so much more comfortable in this heat!

3) Picked the last of the strawberries yesterday so that's been a fabulous crop this year, 10 jars of jam, many eaten by me and 2.5kg in the freezer for future consumption/smoothies.

4) Had Maisie doggie for a few hours this morning as her mum had some errands to do and their house was baking, at least we're here and can run with windows and the back door open for her.

5) Petunias in the window boxes are particularly good this year, they like the hot weather and have bloomed in profusion in the tubs on the patio too. The fig tree is covered I counted 29 beginning to swell and ripen, best crop we've ever had.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 20th Jun 17, 11:51 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    waves to almondsbury. will be flying over it again saturday
    have a fab time vjsmum
    1) lovely drive down to edinburgh airport from dd2. she's a star. we had a lovely chat
    2) friend picked me up from exeter airport. gosh it was hot. we had lunch in her back garden - mezze & prosecco.
    3) now in airbnb. it's a lovely 2 bed flat very close to the uni. colleague who had got train (longer and dearer but greener) arrived 40 minutes after i did
    4) after a cuppa we went over the road for supper. i had a jacket potato with chilli and soda and lime, she had a knickerbocker glory and a pint of cider.
    5) we moved to the other beer garden, accidentally leaving her handbag. very happy to say when we returned, a good half hour later, it was still there!
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 21st Jun 17, 6:46 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 12,427 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. MIL says she is still happy in the home. DH went to see her as it was her birthday and as is her want she showed no interest in her card or present.
    She was eating in her room and having salad and says she hasn't Sat in the lounge area of outside yet.

2. Sat outside for lunch at work. Definitely cooler than the 33` heat inside.

3. Planted some salad in a planter and used an old trellis to cover the top to stop neighbours cats from using it!!

4. Talked to my parents on the phone. They had just come back from a holiday and had seen lots of friends while they were away.

5. Watching the chickens in the garden.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 21st Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 32,207 Thanks
    mhagster
    I think we all know I don't cope with the heat skint I just come on here and moan about it! However no fear of that for a few months so can just moan about how blooming cold it is! It's our shortest day/ longest night , was still pitch dark at 7.30am and damp and dismal for most of day.

Work, was doable . Had a flick through the mags I was chucking out today...all very samey samey , almost finished a crossword....drat those customers who come in!

Walked very quickly home and encountered my neighbouring workers from across the road, so had a chat with them...finding out who's moving in when they move out next month. Offered them some lemony love and took a bag over later.

Took bags of OHs clothes up to school for winter clothing collection. They've been sitting in the hall for 10 days. Didn't feel too sad, the hard part was already done. Teacher who's organising was telling me they've got loads of clothes which is excellent.

Had my first bereavement counselling session this afternoon. Cried through a lot of it but felt good to talk and psychologist seems nice. Go back in a month and not next week as receptionist seemed to think! Apart from not needing to go weekly I can't afford to go weekly.

Came home and had a bath and DD2 painted my toenails. Felt rather relaxed. Think the talking helped too.

Have a good day

Vjsmum enjoy your Glasto experience!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 11,012 Posts
    • 152,249 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Orleys op is over, went very well and he's back on the ward and according to his mum is having a snack!

2) We have a beautiful new carpet in our bedroom and the little carpet fitter is melting on the stairs laying underlay in prep for a new carpet there.

3) I've processed and frozen 4kilos of gooseberries, 1 kilo of loganberries, I've picked French beans and courgettes which are in the fridge and I've made a massive jar of pesto from the basil forest in the polytunnel.

4) We've got a brand new thread for 'what's for dinner today' after the old one was auto deleted yesterday.

5) We have a breeze without which today would be unbearable! too hot!!!

• Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 21st Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4,576 Posts
    • 27,576 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    And I forgot about them as well!
    Go on and try on with me. I tells you, it will be good! Oh well, heres the BoPs wittings of the day! DD seems you colleague is on the winding flyer, the same slow milk train BoP catches to and from Derby! It is the bit bypassing Warster that is the … Will wave Friday from BoP Palace as the milk train winds back up Nurff!

Oh fixtures out and I wills be down DDs place for me chrimbo shopping! Game on!

5 Cool not, and Raffles has had about enuff of it now! Anyway the salad and mackerel, fish it is good for you and provides a well balanced diet, unlike broad beans! Garden raspberries, strawberries, and vienetta was also wolfed down. Tum was rubbed and we later saw the cheese on toast delivery bike whistle pass selling carp food! One night we are going to see the can’t cooks! Please avoid cheese on toast delivery, it is expensive at £20 for a loaf of bread and we should know that without the fish, the bread is about as much use as staying in the basket in Bethsaida! Mind you, them loaves were made from barley, and that should have been for the wobbleade!

4 Now that’s your foods stuff sorted for the day, BoP, is back at the mill and we have just organised a meal out, not at the chuck wagon that some go to, but the local wobbleade emporium. We are seeing one of the stokers off the premises. That will be in just over a fortnight! More later. Food will be taken, but not cheese on toast! On that, as I murmured yesterday, the price of the cakes of Jaffa has gone through the roof, as such I am having to do with digestive ones instead. Proper food again. And it is always right to be set off on the day in a good weigh, this very morning and for not be a greedy BoP and having the whole tin of SatFest day, I had Spagyetti hoops on buttered toast. Also to fill me boots and think of VJ in her wellies, Raspberry jam on buttered toast. Another good start to set me off to the mill. Tum was well rubbed!

3 As for the yellow thing, it is far too hot for BoP to get into his beach wear at the moment and I am just glad my hair did not go rusty as well. Seems buck of face is plastering everyone with joyness of calling for a safe zone for ginger nuts. Not the ginger nuts are nice and always crunchy. Proper food again. How do I do it so regularly!

2 Just checked my pot of pension, and as it was losing money hand over fist the last few days, I am glad to say this morning it has gone back over the roof. Steady on the exits we are. Please note that BoP was advised in October 1978 about pensions. Do not take this as financial advise and …

I fear the fairy-tale writer, Ms Rowling has a solution for our worldly indiscretions. Perchance she came down here and kicked some butt about?

Take issue with that, then!

Can't weight. South Africans are walking. Oh yeah!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 21-06-2017 at 6:52 PM.
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 21st Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 8,236 Posts
    • 31,262 Thanks
    ampersand
    2. & has been in accordance and mostly comprehension of all bop posts on this page!!! ['All change please. This train terminates here. Remember to take all your baggage.']
    First to 7 races on those high seas though, bop and we lost last time when it was won too soon. More light airs and no heavy breathing thankyou. & will be wearing her pounamu fish-hook of Maui for 1st test in the early a.m. Alma, Sat morn.
    http://eng.mataurangamaori.tki.org.nz/Support-materials/Te-Reo-Maori/Maori-Myths-Legends-and-Contemporary-Stories/Maui-and-the-giant-fish

Raffles, looking to you for a victory. It could go other way. Lions are now gelling well, thanks to your Gat ear input.

2. It's hot, but & has loaded for Spits. Salt-lick cheeks and brow before, during, after and same again all day demain, j'en suis sûr. 34.5C here earlier.

3. Sturdy Mr New Spoon at work, work, work again. Multi-tasker he:-) 10 jars strawb. jam this time. Emporium albion organic - 400gm punnets rtc 49p!!! Had been £3 [don't be silly Mr Emporium] Note, not h-g. Mrs L-w. That was more hot stuff last night. Instruction in old enzed recette: leave till half-cold before potting.
    Took plenty for others and dropped off en route back, also for enzed friends. There were a couple of hundred packs easily.

4. At one w/e thing, & won gallon of special scrumpy and promptly re-cycled it as raffle prize at next event.

5. Some unpleasant and difficult situ's being tackled. Nowt to do with enzed friends:-), whose live aboard van progress is visible daily. Portaloo and panelling and oven arrived or were fitted today. F was early out to B&Q on discount day. J has completed van's first crochet squares blanket and is right now beginning another for &:-) They are fabulous. J reckons she's done over 50 through her crafty life so far.
    #
    Right, must do some book research before byes and up at 2 bells.
    #
    Everyone out for a strawberry moon gaze for 'tis the night of summer solstice.
    Litha calls.
    [Lawks, in a far, far land & was a bride this date, back in the 60's. First time of several....]
    Last edited by ampersand; 21-06-2017 at 8:33 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Frith
    • By Frith 21st Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 39,539 Thanks
    Frith
    Glad the spoon is working well, Ampersand. Good day for a wedding anniversary (mine was December). Would have been my best childhood friend's 42nd birthday today. Unfortunately he only made it to 30. It used to irritate me at primary school that he was 4 days older then I am!

MrsLW - 2 tiny flowers on our courgettes so far (not under plastic but under an extendable netting thingy).

Pleasures for today (Wednesday)

1) It hasn't felt so hot here today (though the thermometers inside and out say otherwise).

2) Smaller son had a day off school as they have run out of teaching assistants (don't ask...) So we cracked on with some of his homework that had built up.

3) Bigger son made spoons and helped me picked more raspberries.

4) Bigger son and I went in the river this evening - me paddling and he swimming.

5) Waiting for the weather to break - apparently it is raining on the coast of Wales so hoping it will get here quickly.

6) Have been in bed with the fan on so watched One Born Every Minute then First Dates.

Haven't really achieved much today!
    Last edited by Frith; 21-06-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,896Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Today's Twitter poll: If you had to pick one, who do you think is coming out best so far in the Brexit negotiations, UK or EU?

• It isn't an article by me.I don't write for express. They just cunningly report my tv appearances as if I did. https://t.co/0DDfDU7Kbp

• Follow Martin