Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1892
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 15th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 18,671 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Aw thank you I didn’t mean to make it woes, I love this thread for finding the pleasures in what feels like a mad house sometimes.

For yesterday, back later with today.

1 Local training for 4 hours this morning went well
    2 Popped home to make a chicken wrap for a late lunch then.
    3 Travelled to the in laws to catch up, it was ok but we feel like they didn’t listen to us at all, because well they didn't. Enjoyed the long journey as a chance to take a break and enjoy the blooms.

4 The hydrangeas are looking like they are getting ready to flower, we are always a late garden, loving the petunias in flower at the moment.
    5 Saw all sorts of deer, badger, and rabbits on our journey back.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th Jun 17, 12:06 PM
    • 4,453 Posts
    • 26,861 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Pulled another rabbit out of the bag
    5 The cricket. Enuff said. Bunch of warts. There was no excuse for a performance like that, they should have gotten them selves down the Jolly Cricketer, just of Prospect Road and got ten from the bar and played them instead. Please be aware that BoP did not invest money with his keeper of the book for that one!

4 And for the pleasures. Last night watched again the Tate Walk, not available on the TV Tax funded carp bbc, but on the skyplayer. Had Danny Baker and they were talking about William Hogarth. Very good about the ladies and some looseness and the gin palace! Allegedly he built his house next to a roundabout in London town!

3 Myrtle, our wheels of steel, had a right strop on this morning as BoP contacted his BoPsie. It was dropping like a lead balloon and she kept squawking ‘No Network” Ping Ping, “No Network”. Oh well. All he wanted to say was < text deleted by anonymous grocer >! Please do not use these gadgets, they are bad for you. Avoid!

2 Night BoP will be showing off his beach ready body in the gym and creaking his bones. Tone is part of it. At the mill, some punter has left samples of overpriced vitamin supplements! They claim to be a cure and and end all for all of your sins and ills. No. It says that vitamin B12 is a major factor in the tiredness of people and this magical expensive powders can repair years of torment! And as an added boost to make your heart race, added caffeine. No No No No No No No No No No No No. Like BoP is yous body cannot absorb vitamin B12, hence you are deficient, it will not absorb B12 even if you have a supplement. As for caffeine. Take a day off it and what happens to your body? Please avoid these vanity cure all supplements! Get the B12 shots like BoP from the quack. On about the quack, soon BoP is offs the Clopidogrel. That will stop them. As for caffeine, BoP accidently once had the caffeine enriched beta blocker! Waste of money, reverted to the plain version of Bisoprolol. Good for you and puts lead in the pencil!

On that note, we will return later with other happenings in and around the life of BoP. In the meantime, carry on as though nothing has happened!
    I sold my only sock
    For a handshake and twenty menthol cigarettes
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 4,673 Posts
    • 67,250 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Quick pleasures

1. washing dried on the line
    2. bbq
    3. Major MAJOR mental breakthrough on the PhD - all those bits that were floating in my head suddenly swam into place.
    4. binoculars arrived ready for our holidays (next week i am going to Glastonbury, back on the 26th and flying to Botswana on the 27th. I rather like my life )
    5. DD did the shopping - might as well make use of her

Have a happy day all - Villagelife, good luck with rehoming the MiL. It must be a stressful time. Frith - your DS's exam results will be interesting. BoP - with you on the broad beans
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,945 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its been a funny old week not helped with lack of sleep Pleasures to be found

1. lovely sunny days
    2 pottering in the garden and lots of washing done
    3. have been having a major clear out as we are puppy proofing Have finally relented and agreed DS can have a dog as he is older now and more responsible (allegedly )
    I have been inspired by watching loads of hoarding programmes - not quite as bad as all that but me and DS both have hoarding tendencies. 7 bags of stuff out for bin men tomorrow 1 load to charity and recycling bin also overflowing - and that's just one room
    4. blanket box is being turned into a shoe box. Will use some of the paint stash I already have
    5. day off work tomorrow - more clearing & cleaning to be done.

Am exhausted and it is so hot - I am laid on the bed as its the coolest place in the house with a lovely breeze blowing through.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 15th Jun 17, 7:16 PM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 14,061 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    I've been wanting a dog!
    Love love MAJOR moments of clarity!!!! (especially in regards to PHD work )

* Wonderful trip up north to mark our three year olds birthday. Party lasted 7 hrs! SO MUCH FUN!! Parents had as much fun as the kids. Farm theme so hobby horse races and softly stuffed cloth chicken toss. Pig cake was demolished as were all the piglet cupcakes. Quoye had fun helping make them. Fireworks and sparklers. We made soooo much food, but started pulling more out as they were like locusts. All the beer wine and nonalcoholic drinks gone! I'm the type to overcook and over buy drinks so this was a stunning surprise. Never happened before. Nothing left for DD1's lunch the next day. I'm surprised someone didn't lick the guacamole bowl! 26 avacadoes in that dip. I cut and mashed them myself.

* We found the tile for my kitchen backsplash. I was going with a certain marble but turned around and there it was in ceramic that looked almost just like the marble I wanted at one fifth the price! Over the moon about this!! It had come in the day before. It's so much easier to care for than marble too! I went with large 12"x18" tile so not many grout lines. I hate cleaning grout. Life should be easier when you get my age! (I think tile backsplashes are an American thing?)

* We have have our mobile home rented again by July. . This is part of our income so we need this to be done. Checking references now.

* We had to call roofing company for the third time but this time the guy actually spent time fixing the spot where it's leaking in the hall. Fingers crossed! It rains so seldom, we may go months before the results are in.

* Shrimp gumbo for dinner tonight is the plan. Making the roux is an art form. I'm feeling lucky!

* Malibu Rum and milk! Sounds odd but soooo good!
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 15-06-2017 at 8:11 PM.
    "Until God opens the next door, praise Him in the hallway." Kelly Wahlquist
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 38,648 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens OK and picked our first bowl of strawberries this year on the allotment.

3) 3 hours of physics revision done over the course of the day. You could really tell how much he has missed over the last 6 months.

4) Tasty tea of dahl, rice and naans followed by raspberry Eton Mess.

5) A card for bigger son came through the post. I had to read it out to him - wearing my reading glasses! ;-)

6) About to watch DIY SOS.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th Jun 17, 6:56 AM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 11,860 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Did some gardening. Planted out a narrow plants, speed some carrot seeds and some free flower seeds.

2. Bus to work with nice driver. He always smiled and it makes the day start better.

3. Watching a woodpecker on the birdfeeder.

4. Washing dried on the line

5. Money saved this week to take on holiday.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 16th Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    • 8,204 Posts
    • 30,995 Thanks
    ampersand
    Frith Son The Elder alert - and Frith:
    Welcome to France and the Northern Hemisphere Branch of that Club.
    M will welcome you with her sheaf of Compare and Contrast.
    Pity also Tom Watson and Ben Bradshaw to whom & wrote and sent letters yesterday :-)

V. glad you're back, mila - had been hoping all was ok. VERY, clearly:-) Some stonking rugby for OH to learn from/gasp at, as the Lions are on tour in &'s fair land. This happens only every 12 years. ABs are playing Samoa, sortakinda Test warm-up, as we speak, meaning & is on 'result avoid' all day. Lions face NZ Maori on Saturday, v. special challenge, then 1st Test 24 June. Mrs Lw, vl and others of this parish will be on the bench, on the field, in the scrum, line-out balletomanes.
    #
    1. Weather I love.

2. Enzed hometown friends beginning the sort/build-out of their big van, bought down your way, pk - big Peugeot Boxer. We can all follow our differing direction needs now. Both vehicles nearly fit outside &squat. We manage around and with each other pretty well. It's good to feel this.

3. Was showered by 6 this morn after big runarounds, drop-ins/-offs of all sorts yesterday. Birds are waiting for munch. It's rtc Vogel seedy bread this time.

4. Something consigned for next big qtrly auction. &'s meriva is still fully, visually Labour. Absolute & astonishment when internationally known antiques expert/auctioneer [long-known pre-tv 'fame', 20 years-ish] mentionned seeing & on screen, with 'Great, great result!.' & look quizzical. 'Oh yes,' said W ' AND a Remainer. Mind you, I'm the only one of either in this office.' 'Come and see my car, W', said &..... More chat outside and hugs. Still feel amazed to write this.

5. New spoon has passed The Custard Test. There could a Lions Test Series vs bop in this discipline....to whom & makes known that Myrtle was her school nickname 60 years ago.
    #
    I'm about to go outside and sit with next stage of brekkie.
    #
    Terrific news on your Eureka! moment, vjm.
    Big sorting will be first thing here, too, sya - Church Fête tmrw, another Sunday. Enjoy your new 4-foot. May he be for you as Haggis is for Mhags.
    #
    Beautiful days to all.
    Last edited by ampersand; 16-06-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Jun 17, 7:46 AM
    • 4,667 Posts
    • 42,721 Thanks
    Kittikins
    1. Sunshine!

2. Took half my class on my first "I'm the only teacher on the trip" school trip yesterday, and it was great Had 2 amazing parent helpers, parents of one of my lovelies, and felt very relaxed with them - police officer and nurse, so knew we'd be OK whatever might go on around us.

3. Amazing location for our trip, a free outside all day schools day, with not too many people, lots of interesting stalls, and lots of learning without realising it for the children. Wish we could have come for 2 days, as there were so many things to do that we had to miss out on as we just didn't have time. The day flew by

4. Prosecco and painkillers!

5. Dinner with Chap and friend on Tuesday night was very good, she thinks he's a keeper, kept on trying to get him to propose (crazy woman!!), even got him a sweetie ring from the sweetie trolley to help! Thankfully it contained gelatine, so he knew I'd say no to that and wisely refrained from getting down on one knee!!

6. Had such a busy but easy week at school - today is swimming and rehearsal for the play, and we've had lots of visitors in to do workshops with the children. Off-timetable, which is scary in a way, but great

7. There are lots of my favourite flowers, poppies, by the roadside on my drive to school. Makes my heart sing to see them dancing around in the wind.

8. DD hurt her foot/ankle again playing netball on Monday, but thankfully it's not broken and she's using ice and wearing trainers to school to help her walk around. Gawd bless the NHS again for her swift diagnosis and treatment plan.

9. Introducing my class to the delights of early 90's rave music Some were a little bemused by my choice of coming into class music as it's often classical or new age mindfulness stuff, but others started bopping around. I like a bit of variety in my life!!
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 4,453 Posts
    • 26,861 Thanks
    There's little time to do that ...
    Seems to be lots of potting about doing some PhD kind of things! Read it as VJs dried her smalls on the bbq!

5 Another week at the mill is about done with and the door will be closed until well into Monday! Apart from the Foreign legionnaires getting all to vocal early on Wednesday, the bails of cotton are really piling up. Tax bill of far tooooooo much was paid, which was not a pleasure!

4 Now the mill is no more till Monday, tonight mes and BoPsie are off to the flicks. Back row, except we shall pay for the cheap seats with of free passes provided by the bank. Then we will hit the wobbleade emporium and have a stella pint. Not stella, but proper wobbleade, made to put fur on my chest! Big train of Warster will be missed as it leaves far too early to go up nnorff!

3 Bog Gloss tomorrow. Remember how last weekend BoPsie was expectantly waiting for loads of profanities as BoP removed the crapper from down stairs! Well the morrow, the paint of gloss will be put everywhere and then next weekend it will be painted and the shelves put up. More later after painting the town red.

2 Oh and I forgot, you should see my fur curl at the gum these days! Had a fantastic run round and the showers afterwards are too good. Keeping beach ready!

Amazing how quickly the answer is what you wanted, yet Mr Pepys kept his wine nicely hidden from the rest of us!
    I sold my only sock
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 16th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    • 2,707 Posts
    • 31,484 Thanks
    mhagster
    It's land of the very chilly this very early Saturday morning (5am) and just about 3o.

Friday pleasures:
    Very brief chat to friend from home who just needed a second opinion.
    Work and done for the week, hurrah.
    Home .
    Dog walks.
    Snooze.
    Chat with niece on phone.
    Hearing Dd2 get in from an 18th...sigh! She's one of the much younger ones in her year group, unfortunately for me there are many more 18ths to come! That was an OH job....picking up late at night.

Have a good weekend!
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 4,453 Posts
    • 26,861 Thanks
    Inn Town Live ...
    Flicks. Done. Back row. No upgrade. Usual BoP rules. Bums reserve seats. Now inn wobbleade emporium. Warster train of Big due. Who knows if we will make it!

Shrubster Woob Hill train due. BoP is out of here!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 16-06-2017 at 9:06 PM.
    I sold my only sock
    • Frith
    • By Frith 16th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 38,648 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) My sister popped round for a cup of tea.

3) Popped to Ludlow for a look round the charity shops.

4) The last GCSE exams! Hoorah!!!! 3 today, ending at 4pm.

5) Bigger son has gone to a party.

6) Took smaller son to football practice.

7) Sitting in bed now watching Last Leg.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 17th Jun 17, 5:26 AM
    • 4,667 Posts
    • 42,721 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Yay, GCSE's over in your household Frith, what a relief!

1. Sunshine.

2. DD and I enjoyed the sport's awards BBQ night we went to, but didn't stay long as we wanted to eat icecream!! and get home in time to watch some HIGNFY We were happy celebrating the achievements of one and all.

3. Low spend night, less than the £15 I'd budgeted, yay! Another £5 for the savings pot methinks!

4. Have already got permission to go on a free training course next school year, new head will cover my class that day, yay! Liking her already, lol.

5. Have organised for DD and I to go for a swim for free today (Saturday), thanks to being cheeky when I took LKS2 for their first swimming lesson. The private school we go to has public membership available and I asked if I could have a 'taster session' Looking forward to it, 25m pool, beautiful surroundings, much closer to home than our current pool of choice, and if I take up a membership, I might be able to go at different times before/after school and hopefully continue on my fitness/weight loss plan.

6. Realised that apart from finishing (ha!) reports, I have no other urgent school work for this weekend.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 17th Jun 17, 6:05 AM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 14,061 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Small hiatus for me &. You are dear to think of me!
    Forecast for tomorrow is 110F (or 43C if you are Celsius prone)

* New handyman is a hard worker and got loads done today. He charged an extremely reasonable amount. Now that combo is a pleasure!!

* Speaking of BBQ....ordered out to our local joint and got three plates (brisket, baby back ribs and pulled pork) with two sides of choice.... Happy folks live at my house tonight!

* DD3 is putting all her ducks in a row for her three week vaca to Thailand. It's fun to see her getting so excited. She has two sets of friends to see there and as she is traveling alone, that makes this Mama more comfortable with the whole thing. She began this adventure last Christmas by getting a $1000 voucher for taking a later flight on an airline who had overbooked. She only had to add $300 for her round trip ticket. Score!

* Tomorrow the floor in guest sitting room will start being redone. Yikes! It's been torn up since Oct. but no one goes in there much so it was put on hold during the kitchen remodel. Hurray hurray for being at this point.

* OH proudly displayed our first homegrown tomato of the summer. Radish, carrots and jalapeño have been steadily available for a month now. But that first tomato!!!!

* Long, peaceful nap! A favorite!
    "Until God opens the next door, praise Him in the hallway." Kelly Wahlquist
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 17th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 2,707 Posts
    • 31,484 Thanks
    mhagster
    For Saturday
    Long chat with friend from home.
    Breakfast with DD2 , had a bacon sandwich
    Bought 5 primroses at hardware store for $9.95 , much cheaper than a bunch of flowers and longer lasting. Brightening up my back porch.
    Lovely dog walk .
    Washing out and washing in and ironed. But damp but will dry off once I put heating on for a bit later.
    Found a cookie ( I'm assuming a child bought them) last one in box so I had it!
    Nice chat with my sister. She's been working this week so I've not had a chance to chat when we normally do. She was looking forward to a nice warm sunny day just as darkness and cold is falling here.

• By Blackbeard of Perranporth 17th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 4,453 Posts
    • 26,861 Thanks
    What a mess.
    5 Clothes are strewn across the floor, someone emptied my wallet. Duvet is far tooooo heavy. Morning!

4 Breakfast is done. Snorker, best back, mushroom, toms, SPAGYETTI hoops, toast and poached egg. Tea is drunk. Tum is rubbed.

3 Off to has me fur trimmed at the barber this morning. Usual rules, I still pay full price! No, where is sparra, not a pensioner !

2 Right that's that. Now on with the downstairs John! This is going to get messy!

Never can have too much!
    I sold my only sock
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 17,945 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Wow Mila that's HOT

Hope the summer fete goes well &

More pleasures for yesterday

1. DS very chatty
    2. lots more tidying and decluttering. 3 more black bags full of stuff. DS has parted with lots of car parts ...from his previous car so no use to him !
    3. DS did all the heavy lifting and utility room now shelved and organised and lots of stuff stored neatly !! Just need to get a sneck (latch/lock) for the door
    4. found a puppy litter 2-3 weeks old through someone whose husband is a vet and we are going to look at them next week So excited and as they wont be ready until 8-9 weeks we still have plenty of time to finish decluttering
    5. DS treated us to a curry nom nom
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 17-06-2017 at 9:09 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 17th Jun 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 34,291 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Cough cough splutter splutter. The sore threat of Monday has developed into a summer cold :-(
    1) staff end of term party last night - good catching up, though only stayed till 9 due to cold. Glad I went though
    2) has good chat with vp of l&t who was very complimentary about my programme changes - this year we've over doubled graduations
    3) mr piano came picked me up with mr student
    4) mr piano treated us all to fish and chips - perfect for Friday
    5) then an early night for me. Only just woke up to news of Scotland Australia score mhags
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 17th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 2,707 Posts
    • 31,484 Thanks
    mhagster
    Excellent score DD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,792Users online

Martin's Twitter