Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1891
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,324 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Naughty Step for ...
    Not again! Broad beans are not proper food. They’re awful. Like cream crackers, invented by the Victorians to keep people amused at how foul things can be. Please avoid. Enuff said!

5 Was going to have helping of brewed curry last night, but we had so much proper food in available, I could not be done warming up the curry. We had another five of the day with salad, cherry toms are so good this year! Then had ice-cream covered in chocolate on a stick. They were from w8rs and we gets an cup of tea and an extra 20% off just for filling my face!

4 Agincourt! Again. Now 33 years ago BoP was in Paris with my leather jacket! Can someone please get it? Football tonight!

3 Watched the boating yesterday. Looks like the kiwis are in it to … Never mind, we should have sunk them when they upended their boat last week. Guess they have the yanks in the final. Been a good watch.

2 Down at the mill. I work so diligently I wear slippers and walk on tip toes. That way I creep up the unsuspecting and make them jump!

Over the other side it is always greener.
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 10,923 Posts
    • 151,394 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Having enough sweet Williams in the garden to be able to give my friend Sue a big bunch and not see any gaps afterwards.

2) The bedroom is finished both walls and gloss and it looks lovely. Wednesday week is carpet laying day when it will be finished.

3) The sound of bees on the flowers on the footpaths, makes me VERY happy!

4) Walking in the shade of the trees on a hot day, always makes me think of Alice falling down the rabbit hole as the trees meet overhead and it's like a tunnel.

5)The smell of basil in the heat of the polytunnel, positively Mediterranean!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 13th Jun 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 18,808 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Absolutely shattered, today problems with both DF’s dementia, and received some bad news last night when the phone rang late about family.

There are pleasures.
    1 Last day at work for a while and our break will happen = phew.
    2 Problems with both our cars, so glad DH is talented, one back on the road, one in parts in the drive at the mo, for a lot less money than a garage. But also so glad this contract came back up to cover costs, and of course no car would mean delayed hols.
    3 I also applied for a few other roles.
    4 Cycling washing out to line, bringing in, if it’s animal briefly through drier to get the fur off.
    5 Thankful that the painkillers and antibiotics while not nice, do work I think the break will work a few wonders as well.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 39,133 Thanks
    Frith
    PK - sorry to hear about your tough day.

Pleasures for today:

1) A pleasure to get up after yet another miniscule sleep and have pancakes and strawberries for breakfast.

2) Bigger son's maths exam went well.

3) Plenty of jobs done around the place.

4) Egg mayo sandwiches for lunch.

5) Went to have a cup of tea with my school friend.

6) Chemistry revision undertaken and still going as I type...
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 68,250 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Evening - back home again1

PK sorry about your woes..
    Mhags, DD has to see what work she might get, acting wise. She is doing an audio book over the summer (Unpaid, but experience) and will be honing up some of her skills (piano, flute, guitar, french, horseriding - she can't really ride a horse, but a lot of jobs seem to require it. So she is having a couple of lessons.). Come september and she will have to do something to earn some money (bar, coffee shop type work) and then still trying for auditions.

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Excellent meeting with helpful woman in London. And she has followed through on her promise to send me info
    2. Worked on the train
    3. Had good walk around parliament square and then down to Victoria
    4. Picking up a yummy salad to have on the train to dad's
    5. Dad was ok - we had a takeaway for tea

and today
    1. woke at 4 but managed to get back to sleep for a couple of hours
    2. saw my lovely sister for the first time in ages
    3. walk by the sea, a bit brief this time but was lovely down there
    4. worked on the train
    5. had dinner on the train and they've changed the menu. I had vegetable biryani.

Have a good evening all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 13th Jun 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 9,843 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    My pleasures for last few days

1. Worked with a colleague who I hadn't worked with before, even though it was a difficult day, felt like we worked well together.
    2. Nice drive to work & lovely weather.
    3. Managed to do some tidying in garden
    4. Email received inviting me for another interview/assessment, that's now 2 to do.
    5. Day off today.
    6. Receiving messages and texts from lots of good friends.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th Jun 17, 11:51 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 34,486 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Many happy returns mhags I love hm lemon curd and hm lemonade
    1) meeting on city campus organising workshop. Took a flask then heated hm stew up for lunch in library cafe microwave.
    2) 2nd meeting of the day free tea and biscuits
    3) bus back to office for 3rd meeting - arrived 5 mins to spare so managed to make a cup of tea
    4) 4th meeting was with marker of one of my masters disertations. Solid pass yay
    5) 5th meeting got urgent documentation done then onto bus round to friends and light supper. Haven't seen them for yonks
    6) 6th meeting was vestry. Well onto 6th toilet. Oo just noticed 666
    7) lift home to empty house. Mr piano and mr student out walking dogs. Finalised workshop for tomorrow and now in bed with the archers. And not a broad bean in sight bop
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 12,177 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Seeing poppies in the garden. Lovely shade of red.

2. Watching my chickens in the garden running about.

3. Long chat with DS1 who seems happier at the moment.

4. Vase of flowers looking cheerful still.

5. Bus to work and read more of my book.

DH talked to nursing home manager and there may be a problem with the nursing home. The manager, who has been away since it was decided, thought MIL could walk. Hopefully she can still go but not sure how they thought she could walk. Will find out later.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 31,932 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello from land of the chilly!

Work.
    Home
    Snooze
    Nice dog walk
    Shared the love of the lemons...handed some in to the girls at the salon. I have more than I can possibly use ( though will be making lemon curd tomorrow for DD1s friend for a baby shower ) and I have a customer who is bringing me more tomorrow .
    Washing almost dried on the line, just ironed it and sigh...need to go and remake my bedding!
    Number one son had his first exam , two more to go and DD2 had a big exam too , this one is used as a kind of standby if there are problems at end of year when exams take place.

Have a good day
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,324 Thanks
    No more of this
    Good to see that the message about broad beans has got through to some of yous gals! Mind you flask stew warmed up in the nuclear oven. One hopes it had a decent dumpling

5 Down at the mill, we have some from the foreign legion here. Seems they were quite ecstatic about the football last night. Don’t worry, they have been sent to the heads and will be slopping them out for a while.

4 Raffles has been out this morning and managed to bag himself another bird. This time a lesser spotted woodpecker. We did feed him his breakfast, but to no avail. He prefers fresh food and not the packed up wheat puffed flavoured carp we try and feed him on. Perhaps he gets it from BoP!

3 Had the warmed through curry last night with plain rice for a change. Nicely better when brewed for a few days. Proper food and tum was rubbed. Note BoP using the finest ingredients such as long grain rice, which is a damn site cheaper than that bascrappy sough at more than double. In fact, the Basmati rice is mostly long grain anyway! Better!

2 Treaders are ready for the bike run this evening. Tyres will be pumped up and ready to roll. Feel the breeze!

Take that back and get another one!
    Watching the trail
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 14th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 8,226 Posts
    • 31,201 Thanks
    ampersand
    Have just re-glued all the &thanks back to page - 3rd time - but it's perished rubber bands time here. Can't spin the balsa propellors for any sort of love, much less money. Just managed to make a landline call work, so we'll see if this works, to the sound of today-tech leather on willow.
    50hr days still screaming here. osps will just be what springs to what was once &mind
    #
    Oh, rebuke that bop. He knows darned well he had his beautiful jkt back from gay paree mois of crimbo 2016. It was disinterred by & at time of AB's fantastic victory sur La France, ma belle, DESPITE bop having hidden it up dans le march! de Vanves and then trying to lay the blame on Raffles..... Is there no end to etc.etc?
    Raffles, kindly receive due and humbles for yellow thing.
    #
    As they come then -

1. & has a splendid new hand-carved wooden spoon, rcvd in post hier:-))))))) and KNEW at once what first use would be. 2kg of last year's h-g frozen framboises dived into preserving pan. Enzed hometown friends had spoken with strong sweet smiles, of having finished their earlier jar. New batch urgently needed. Now done - 8 jars. Spoon Top of Class, starred 1st in fact, on grounds of extraordinary performance in equivalent of driving test emergency stop.
    All will be revealed if someone can decipher &'s handwriting:-)
    If not, go to France and join &'s oldest Nthn hemi friend who has a legendary bundle of not entirely legible correspondence over 47years...says she:-)

Dear readers, drop your phone in a preserving pan of boiling jam and see how you get on.

2. & does not have tv. Apparently, & was widely seen on tv - election result. It's causing some odd things and lots of stops and greetings and conversation from unknown others. Peculiar reworking of Andy Warhol's '15 minutes of fame', esp. when going back to earliest & continuity broadcasting days. 'Nother side of world, that was.

3. New rose, Lavender Ice, still unplanted, but in fullest 5 cabbage head bloom. Amazing stem. Stunning.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lavender+ice+rose&client=firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi38a SUlr3UAhVHGsAKHbZaDnoQsAQIOw&biw=939&bih=536

4. Mr T's 49p apricots [What, &? You've bought sth full price?] are terrific. 2 lots poached in h-m elderflower cordial with hint of ginger. DI-VINE!!! Cream, h-m genoese are extremely friendly avec.

5. Alma Patron just back hier soir, after marriage!:-), with The One new wife. Oh Yes, & sensed this some while back. Very much liked this young woman from the interesting off. Absolutely delighted and shared in some wonderful 1st sight pics of them in Mme Alma's homeland.
    Fabulous, as was 23-22, Mrs L-w. Oh wow, how tight was that? At least the Highlanders had their head around this Oz referee, unlike Crusaders with Monsieur Raynal last match, to which end I link this piece. Discussion with patron post-match and we agree.
    Well, have ploughed through grauniad comments and can't find it.

6. Suspect Vicar asked if & would read 1st Lesson, Isaiah 40, knowingly. & did and has since. Was still in full red mode and ready on HT Sunday for not only that, but garden trail teas in vicarage garden all afternoon subsequently. With vic. now Ruralled and Curate now Prof'd. it's more and more go-go-go and sad, but big RM shortly, followed by Ely Cathedral. Curate's secular life means big science talk tonight.
    & must fly, change, fly again.
    #
    Strongest blessings to all and congrats to dd vjm.
    Intermittent hearing of this on woman's hour made me think of her:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tbf1h#playt=0h08m26s
    -ref. Katie Mitchell's new production.

Was also held fast by the 'women leaving prison' focus.

Prisonbag.com latest here:
    http://prisonbag.com/
    BURBS is Josie's latest piece. Please keep with this family.
    #
    7. Didn't even hear until Monday, have seen none, BUT RAFA WON his 10th French Open. YeSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

8. And another wicket has fallen. Jonathan's take on wickets tumbled thus far seems akin to 'saders failing to wrap heads around ref. Raynal.
    Last edited by ampersand; 14-06-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo confetti. Not surprised today.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,324 Thanks
    Ooooh & Last night took it all back to the football match At Parc de Princs in late February 84!
    Watching the trail
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 14th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 8,226 Posts
    • 31,201 Thanks
    ampersand
    Yes...well there was the OCCASIONAL deignful glance left to another screen where some little round ball was going on.

Oh, did France, LA France Ma Belle, win little round ball game?

Seems so.

3 round balls in the fishnet stocking to 2 round balls in the betty boopery.

Good-o.
    :-)
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 10,923 Posts
    • 151,394 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    23-22 was a cliff hanger of a game to watch and didn't they both play well, one of the most attention grabbing games I've watched for ages! bring it on!!!

1) The computer broke this morning and He Who Knows was fishing for the day so I turned the little devil off and did all the jobs I've been noticing needed doing in the house including washing the pair of sheepskins we have on the floor by our chairs and they've dried in a day! I've groomed them with Docky dogs old metal brush and they've come up a treat!

2) Finally sorted out the worn bedding from the airing cupboard, it will go to the sea scouts jumble same early in July so now I have some room on the shelf. Going to sort out older towels tomorrow and then buy in some fluffier new ones, these are beginning to look bald!

3) Peace and quiet to read a book this afternoon, had the windows wide so a cooler room and slight breeze and 3 cups of tea, magic.

4) Steam mopped all the floors in the house, cleaned bathrooms and utility room, 4 wash loads dried outside, did the ironing, walked Cookie, feels good.

5) Sorted out some more books from the book case to also go to the sea scouts jumble, the house is beginning to look far less cluttered and it's beginning to feel good doing it.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Jun 17, 8:50 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,324 Thanks
    To the heads &
    Watching the trail
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Jun 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 39,133 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) A slightly better sleep than the last few.

2) House fairly clean and tidy.

3) Took bigger son to lunch between his 2 Chemistry exams and his History exam. Surprisingly, found Chemistry the hardest exam yet (though his best subject) and thought History (no preparation whatsoever) was OK.

4) Phoned the doctor as school want a slightly different diagnosis for smaller son, to go on his paperwork. Doctor helpful but not his job.

5) Gammon for tea, with colcannon and carrots.

6) Cleaned the turtle tank out.

7) Bigger son has had a spoon making extravaganza.

8) Lidl flat peaches very tasty.
    Last edited by Frith; 14-06-2017 at 9:36 PM.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 14th Jun 17, 10:35 PM
    • 8,226 Posts
    • 31,201 Thanks
    ampersand
    To the heads &
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    #
    No thanks, bop.
    That's a Decline.
    Last edited by ampersand; 14-06-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Jun 17, 7:08 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 12,177 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. MIL can go to the nursing home in Monday if she can take her mobile hoist. Looking promising.

2. Work bearable and busy. Had to stay late as nobody else could. Annoyed me that line manager couldn't as never does. I will get the time back somehow.

3. Chat with neighbour over fence.

4. DS2made chicken pie for tea. He also cooked French beans with it. He rarely cooks veg.

5. Relaxed in the garden.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Jun 17, 7:11 AM
    • 4,755 Posts
    • 43,156 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Hugs PK, hope today is lovely for you x
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 15th Jun 17, 7:22 AM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 31,932 Thanks
    mhagster
    Busy morning at work. Thursday is my favourite day at
    work.
    The most stunning sunrise.
    Another pile of coverless mags brought home.
    Baked potato with tuna for late lunch which will probably cover tea.
    Just going to make lemon curd by request for DD1 friend. Was given more lemons this morning.
    Son has just one more exam to do,today's was hard.

Have a good day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,199Posts Today

6,122Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin