Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1890
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Jun 17, 12:29 AM
    • 3,039 Posts
    • 34,318 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    hugs to mhags my gbf's partner who died in november would have been 66 this week. The big C is horrid.
    1) had a terrific lie in (stayed up far too late night of election then book club so late home friday)
    2) rain stopped and i got some good gardening done
    3) mr piano dropped me at Mr T so i could buy a wedding card for ex work colleague. he was going to a concert in the cathedral
    4) then onto wedding evening do. had a lovely time. bride looked loverly of course
    5) oh yes and Thursday's vote - episcopalean church in scotland has voted to drop gender from marriage canon. yay. we shall be partying in the aisles tomorrow (or rather today, oops, gone midnight and i'm leading sunday school as well as introducing toilet twinning to the congregation)
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 11th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 11,900 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Met an ex colleague who had retired at Christmas. She is enjoying herself. Definitely keeping busy.

2. Chat with neighbour.

3. Watched rugby on tv.

4. Sat in the garden with a coffee.

5. Back is slightly less painful.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Jun 17, 7:10 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 26,932 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Do we have to?
    No pleasures today. Taxman is taking too many wobbleade chits!
    I sold my only sock
    For a handshake and twenty menthol cigarettes
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 18,603 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Say that aloud in BoPsies presence.
    She's your 1-1000 every day & you know it. Raffles, trains, knowing how not to take a photo of your ear Every Time, Jenny, rocking a tutu - plus all of us here? <small pout tending to moue broadening into huge grin as I ponder BoPsies' possible responses>

Of course if the taxman has goofed, (& it happens) see what you have as an MP & cry havoc & unleash them on HMRC til the wobbleade chits are stacked in bricks around you...
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 38,734 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today:

1) Lie in. Bigger son went for an early bike ride so smaller son did not wake up until 10.

2) Porridge for breakfast.

3) A feast for the hens - left over chips from last night, grapes, lettuce and some porridge.

4) Changed my bed and got all the washing done.

5) Popped down to see parents and brother.

6) Pork chops for tea with roast potatoes, carrots, stuffing and gravy.

7) Did maths and English Lang revision with bigger son.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 26,932 Thanks
    Ooooooooooooh DfV. Yous set me alight to tickle my heart.

Problem with taxman. I probably earn too much but should I charge him for collecting his money?
    I sold my only sock
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jun 17, 9:04 PM
    • 10,780 Posts
    • 149,826 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) The smell of newly mown hay, the field the horses grazed last year was cut this morning and the whole village smells scrumptious.

2) Honeysuckle climbing all over the hedgerows, adding to the lovely smell wafting on the breeze.

3) Podding more peas from the polytunnel, this lot is the last of the current batch and got another 12oz from what I picked, I'm little again and sitting in the back yard on Sunday morning podding peas for lunch!!!

4) Tiny little lad in the pub having lunch when I got back with Cookie wanted to stroke her and got down on his little knees and hugged her then looked at her face and said' she's got brown eyes just like me, I've got brown eyes just like her!' so sweet.

5) The stairs, hall and landing are painted and look so much better for being slightly lighter, certainly smarter than they did yesterday. New carpet comes a week on Wednesday along with the one for our bedroom, better get painting in there pronto!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 3,039 Posts
    • 34,318 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) launched our toilet twinning collection at church. I spoke briefly at the start of the service saying how we hoped to twin all 6 cathedral toilets in the coming 4 weeks - by the end of coffee time we already had £178 (£2 short of 3 toilets)
    2) then chaired eco group - so much enthusiasm. Cal is going to do a flower arrangement in a loo (loo being donated by mg's cousin who is having bathroom redone), mg is going to design sticky labels for jam jars so people can collect 'as they go' lol. D very keen to lead harvest festival, focussing on wateraid (a good follow up to toilet twinning)
    3) lunch with cathedral buddies. The bank bar so not too expensive
    4) came home and got out my 120 bass piano accordion for a practice. We are now officially best buddies :-)
    5) back for evensong at which money for 2 more loos pledged. I am very very happy.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 11th Jun 17, 10:52 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 18,678 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    • Enjoyed a very loungy Sunday, making the most of it as a busy week next week, now choc a block with various appointments and visits why do we always do this before we head away on a break?!?
    • Had some leftover Chinese, the best way to have it with all the fat drained off. I have also made a couple of lasagnes today, one was tea.
    • Enjoyed quality time playing with the animals.
    • I know a long break is coming up when I can start packing the van with things like a sarong and good old paper books.
    • Feeling vaguely organised it won’t last long.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Jun 17, 7:00 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 11,900 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Saw MIL yesterday. She seemed the same but became tearful when we told her about the nursing home. I hope she doesn't refuse to go. Impressed again by her carers who do seem to care.

2. Walked round the gardens of Polsedon Lacey. Enjoyed it and somewhere I hadn't visited before. We had driven that way home to avoid the traffic jams around the M25/ M3.

3. Watching a pied wagtail (I think) in the garden.

4. Relaxing in the garden.

5. Planted out some sweetcorn and courgette plants.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Jun 17, 7:42 AM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 67,313 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hello peeps - another day, another train. London then dad's this time.

Pleasures for the weekend

1. Watched election results till 4.30 when it was really clear how it was going. Was having a facebook party with like-minded people and drinking "inferior whisky from a spiderman glass". Snatched a couple of hours sleep, saw DS off to his first A level exam and then snatched a couple more
    2. Had coffee and catch up with friend Friday afternoon
    3. Out at friends on saturday evening. Did Glastonbury planning - she is a glasto virgin, who got me the ticket
    4. SOuthend AGAIN yesterday. The first of two graduations - this one was the more informal one and it was fab.
    5. Stopped for a curry just outside Euston - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d720396-Reviews-Ravishankar_Bhel_Poori-London_England.html
    Not sure why it's only got 3.5 - it was fab and cost £33 for 3 of us, with drinks.

Have a great day all
    Last edited by VJsmum; 12-06-2017 at 7:44 AM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 31,537 Thanks
    mhagster
    Well done to Miss V Vjsmumon her graduation ! What's next?

It's the Queens Birthday so we have a public holiday over here! Hurrah and bless you ma'am, unfortunately I forgot to switch off my alarm and was woken up at early o'clock, the pleasure was in the not having to get up right then and there as I usually do!

RTC croissant and jam for breakfast.

Dog walk...had to take an about turn from where we normally walk as I didn't fancy an encounter with 3 Rottweilers ...they're maybe perfectly nice dogs but felt rather outnumbered. So we went a diiferent way than normal and saw some loveky flowers and some lovely birds.

It's my number one sons birthday tomorrow so sent him and his middle sister off to the rock climbing centre as my treat...his poor little sister had to go to work but she's on double time as it's a public holiday.

I cut the grass ( after said number one son started it for me) did the back garden, the veggie patch area and the 2 lots of grass verges all round the side and front of house. Must have walked a kilometre back and forth!

Was inspired to organise a morning tea to raise funds for cancer hospital in OHs memory for his birthday next month. So went to see Tupperware lady who always has a Tupperware sale in her garage on a public holiday. Came away with some freebies and brochures and she will come to morning tea and donate the commission I would normally get. Not just any old morning tea but a Christmas in July morning tea.

Have hoovered all downstairs, cleaned downstairs bathrooms and washed all the floors. ( upstairs is another matter!)

As its the Queens birthday we are celebrating with takeway curry! Sounds good to me.

Yesterday I baked and baked , shared some with neighbour across the road.
    Made a huge banana bread, 2 lemon drizzle loaves, chocolate cookies made from a jar of rich chocolate pate I found in the cupboard which was from a hamper we had received last year. Why anyone would want to eat rich chocolate pate is beyond me but its fine in a cookie!

We had tasty lentil soup for lunch and tasty cottage pie for tea, I didn't have enough potatoes to mash and cover so I thinly sliced them and layered them on top. Those were the last of my bargain $1 bag from weeks ago!

I'm now going to call my estate agent back home...see what exactly is (not) going on!

Have a good day
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 17,036 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Some pleasures for the weekend,

The warm, windy weather meant that my garden was like a huge tumble dryer, much drying done.
    Did a tidy up of the fridge and found some xmas mincemeat , mm buns made and house smelt lovely.
    I shoplifted! went into petrol station and fancied a crunchie, when I got to the till the lady said that the nozzle hadn't been put back correctly, looking around no-one else to do it so run back out, clutching my crunchie. Paid for both my petrol and my chocolate & joked to cashier had been caught.
    Capt S at the cricket so had house to myself, pottered in garden and binge watched The Handmaids Tale.
    As above, walked girls alone and bizarrely my old lady's protective tendencies kicked in when man passed by, perhaps she could sense something? Her lip curl was impressive and left no doubt as stood in front of me.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 26,932 Thanks
    Take your medicine
    BoP does not like paying tax and the taxman has cleaned him out! Blooming direct debits. Arrg. Wobbleade chits by pm into my pal of pay account please!
    5 Again the proletariat are brutal. Don’t you just love it! I’m heading for the roundabouts, I’ll leave the swings alone for the moment! Bet the stewards of Bass will be knocking non our doors again come October.

4 Was inn town on day of sat to pick up my prescriptions. Too many, but last of the Cloppy Dog Roll as they call it. No more from 28th June. Stuff that cardiologist! Got it? While paying far too much for them, our new MP was inn as well. Good to see him re-elected to swing the mace and give them some carp. He’d lost his voice and as he does not touch the firewater, he will have to do with just honey and lemon.

If you could vote for the person, he is.

3 Down at mill, the bails of cotton we are churning into cloth, has a slight problem. The lease on the mill pond is up and I think we can … but we have a ..

2 Day for lunch as well as more than my five a day, which if you only see the cheese on toast delivery service, you don’t get on a weekday, BoPsie has provided more proper food. Mousse! Chocolate version. Full of goodnees and good for you! Lunch is proper cheese of wood of apple, salad with pie of pork, cakes of Jaffa. And the mousse. Spoon is well licked I can tell you. Mind you at elevenses, bicuit of club was taken! Now for the oranges. Also good for you. Mind you yesterday I nearly had kitchen disaster. I made the kedgeree, and then the egg whisk So carried away on doing egg fried rice, I had added milk and that is a no no for kedgeree. Still managed to pull it off! On delivery service, BoPsie was watching the box of ogle and there was an advert for the fat burgers. They deliver. But not in our area thank goodness.

Raffles managed to pull the birds again
    I sold my only sock
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 10,780 Posts
    • 149,826 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Swallows obviously feeding young swooping along the road and over the fields before disappearing into the old derelict corrugated barn by the lane.

2) We have a very old oak tree in the village, he'd need about 4 long armed people to span him and a few years ago he got a fungus and the council wanted to take him down BUT the people in the road he lives in clubbed together to get him treated and this year when I walked past today he's sprouted a whole new canopy and looks fabulous!

3) Long dog heaven today, Cookie and I met a beautiful and venerable old greyhound lady coming out of the riverside park, we met a velveteen coated whippet having a mad 5 minutes dash about in the park and I was chatting to a friend and her dog when a tiny fairy like Italian Greyhound came scampering up to say hello, wow!

4) He Who Knows bless him is working like a Trojan and has finished 3 walls of our bedroom with painting and has started the gloss on the skirting boards, looks fantastic.

5) My doggie walking pal Sue has found her new home in Cornwall, made an offer and been accepted, I'm so pleased for them but I'll miss her and Charlie retriever like mad when they go.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 38,734 Thanks
    Frith
    Yet another post lost!

1) Scotch pancakes and strawberries for breakfast.

2) Took mum to potentially very serious emergency dr appointment (particularly ominous with the medical history of her mother and sister). Turns out it is nothing "lady orientated" but damage done during her big operation last year. Phew!

3) Bigger son's Eng Lang exam went OK.

4) Popped into Lidl.

5) Had a tidy up.

6) Man came and gave sensible quote for skimming plaster over the stairs/landing/under stairs walls so bigger son and I will set to next week to remove the old plaster and plaster board it.

7) Just done some chemistry revision but rather a lot of work to do there over the next 2 days......
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    • 3,039 Posts
    • 34,318 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Woken up this morning at 6:47 with a sore throat :-(
    1) watched a couple of episodes of heartbeat. Haven't seen it before - a gentle start to the day then eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms for breakfast - note no toast due to sore throat
    2) very nice hm tuna and pasta salad for lunch
    3) made pork and squash thing in slow cooker (for 'thing' read 'what else needs using up?)
    4) continuity announcer making me laugh (12:44 on the catch-up http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tbzm0#play
    5) mr piano making yummy chicken and rice for tea. Well certainly smells yummy. then i will be having an early night.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 12th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 4,686 Posts
    • 42,805 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Congrats on the loos, DD! Brilliant idea, I think our old village church had a twinned lav as well

The rest of the weekend and today...

1. Lovely swim with DD yesterday, although I realised that I can also no longer/currently unable to do front crawl as well as back stroke due to my shoulder injury last year But that I felt stronger and faster in the water after only one swim last week!

2. Put £3 into my savings pot tonight as I resisted the very strong urge to go and buy chocolate or rubbish three times today. It was a strange day....

3. Managed to not get too grumpy at the naughty pickles in class (Friday's star child was very tarnished by about 10am, unfortunately, along with a load of others who were mucking around more than I can accept ) however, as I said to them, tomorrow is another day and a new opportunity to make better choices. Fingers crossed it sinks in to some of them at least!!

4. Took DD to her netball practice this evening and enjoyed the beautiful countryside and the lovely sunshine.

5. We met a gorgeous German Shepherd dog at the pub on Saturday when we popped in for a drink by the river. He was sooooo friendly

6. Shared a scrummy Lion bar with DD, haven't had one of those in many a year!! A simply delicious pleasure
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 11,900 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Raspberries from the garden. They tasted delicious. Also had broad brand with tea from the garden.

2. Managed some gardening. Very gentle but it helps to destress.

3. Colleague at work helpful. Another one not so.

4. Long chat with MIL on the phone. She is hopefully mere accepting of going into a home.

5. Ironing done. I have clothes to wear today!!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 31,537 Thanks
    mhagster
    Birthday pancakes for breakfast. Birthday scones at lunch and birthday meringues in lieue of birthday cake! It's my boy's birthday.

Work. Boss brought me a huge bag of lemons! When customer brought me some last week I had offered him some and he said he had a tree in his garden. Then customer came in and said he'd bring me some more later in the week...I don't think there's such a thing as too many lemons! Love'em

Home and made all the birthday baking.

The tasty taste of lemonade scones. 3 cups SR. flour, 1 cup of lemonade, 1 cup of thickened cream which is probably the equivalent of whipping cream. Mix together into a dough. Cut out and bake about 18 minutes in a hot oven. Lavish with jam and enjoy.

Having pizza for tea.

Have a good day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

404Posts Today

5,844Users online

Martin's Twitter