Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1889
    • bagpuss38
    • By bagpuss38 8th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    bagpuss38
    Sending gentle thoughts and hugs mhags.
    Be kind to yourself xxxx
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11
    Very BNPL - £353.00
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 28,063 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Ok, donít forget that none of them are worthy!
    5 Well if you vote early, your vote will be last out of the box, and as my old chief said, they wonít count it as the result will be known by then!

4 Fish finger for tea last eve. No tossing this week either! Had enough pancakes, but maybe next week. Bit undecided about this weeks chicken tikka bits on Saturday. Advice is needed, as on FryDay we are removing the bog! If I donít get home for four, BoPsie will be in there with the sledge hammer! That means no train of big to Warster on FryDay night and a possible out on Saturday! Which means the chicken tikka bits will be used on Sunday as a curry, dynamite mushrooms ignored and fridgies will be toasted!

The Bog. Who cares!

3 On food, had the dog burger yesterday and as I said, no fads. One a month is enuff, but my tum was well rubbed. Just a tad more days of bean, not broad, on crumb until the taxman takes his money. Good job I get interest on it before he takes his rake!

2 Nite I will mark the card.

Out!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 43,436 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Massive hugs MHags xx

1. Sleepover chez Chap last night, he cooked the most amazing dinner

2. Managed to get into school on time - after we both forgot to set an alarm!! Slight panic this morning, but thank goodness the traffic was reasonably light.

3. Have reserved DD a space on a reasonably cheap and amazingly fab-sounding school trip to la belle France during her massively long half term in October! I'll still be slogging away whilst she's enjoying all those trips out to boulangeries, cider farms, etc etc.

4. Couldn't do the washing up tonight as new tiles have been laid around the sink and the area's not dry - yippee!

5. DD's method of cuddling me to tell me if I've lost weight this week appears to be scientifically proven - for the second week running, she was right!!

6. So....today at the staffroom tea party we held in honour of a lovely person who was leaving, I indulged....oops! Never mind, I shall endeavour to continue with my downward trend as it feels good!!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 8th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 39,721 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) A broken sleep as I was woken at 3.50 by the ancient cat who, for reasons unknown, had decided to scale the porch and was sitting on the bathroom windowsill!

2) Bigger son's maths exam went OK. Revision for biology tomorrow has been completed.

3) Bigger son bought a special carving knife and has spent the afternoon hand crafting wooden spoons.

4) My parents popped in.

5) Plastering man came round so hopefully I shall get a quote for the landing and stairs in a few days.

6) Made a chow mein for tea.

7) Next door neighbour has offered us all the wood from having his kitchen replaced.

8) Looking forward to watching the election results come in.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 8th Jun 17, 11:45 PM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 19,280 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Hugs Mhags

I wonder what the election holds, the first one where I voted but didn't want to...

1 Watching an amazing thunder and lightning show here.
    2 Just raised my first invoice in a while, phew happy days.
    3 The animals are recovering from being neutered, lots of extra cuddles.
    4 I impulse purchased a sale multicoloured cardi for £7 it turned up today not quite what I thought but bizarrely better and brighter.
    5 DF is home from hospital and receiving special care, I spent tonight arranging a lot of things for him to be in place while we are away for a while.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 8th Jun 17, 11:56 PM
    • 4,844 Posts
    • 69,809 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Evening / night from election results..

Hugs to Mhags, I hope today is better for you

pleasures for yesterday / today

1. went out with the curry mums, nice to catch up. I had curry
    2. some good PhD work
    3. good walk to the polling station and to friends house to deliver a card
    4. two loads of washing dried on the line yesterday
    5. made some sourdough bread
    6. cleaned the bathrooms.

Am yawning my head off so not sure how far into the night I will get....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 9th Jun 17, 6:18 AM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 12,839 Thanks
    villagelife
    Mhags - hugs to you.

1. Quiet day at home. Could walk for a couple of minutes at a time.

2. Cooked bread pudding to use up bread and gave the birds the crusts.

3. Picked some flowers to refresh the ones in a vase.

4. Spoke with DS1. He has agreed to do on call at work. It's one week in six and a guaranteed £140. It will increase with call outs and will help with his financial worries.

5. DS2 have me a lift to vote. I would have had difficulties in walking or driving. It was really busy at the polling station.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Jun 17, 11:58 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 19,508 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Mhags, some days are just harder work than others. So glad there are hugs & phones & Haggis.

OS Pleasures recently

Lad, having sat too long, stood up & was staggering a bit - "careful, or you'll impale yourself on a stack of dictionaries!" There's a death certificate...

I have very strong views on unexpected guests & frogs in the kitchen especially. So when a stack of plastic crates went over & I wasn't certain if I was hearing dripping or something croaking, I yelled for backup. [There appears to be some slow leak over an unused aerial cable.] A Pleasure as it could have been a frog. Plus I excavated a lot of Kilner glassware of assorted vintages.

Awww! Stranger at work crooned over my use of a teapot "a nice sight to see". Tempted to rotate assorted Denby pots in & out but this is a charity shop cheap find for a reason.

Penultimate visit of maths tutor, we hope. There are not enough fingernails left & my cuticles are getting savaged - pleasure in that after Thursday morning it is done with, for a few weeks minimum.

The Ramadan dates are in store! Luscious boxes of different breeds & countries of origin & all I may do is gawk as the sugar level is 80% & if I need the fibre & all the other vitamins I have other things I should eat first. [Dashit.] Still good to see & a handy reminder to load up on other Ramadan discounted things like oil & rice & assorted lassis & baklava.

Observing son peeling label off water bottle to take into exam hall. All with the solemnity that befits preparation of sacrifices.

Youngest wants a specific sort of folder or document carrier at due-in-school-in-15 minutes notice. By heroic chance I know where one is & have given him directions. Now awaiting cries of wrong thing &/or can't find it. [Devastating silence, then Hug!]

Delivered son most of the way to maths GCSE & now feel like Abraham clutching the sacrificial rope. Today is heavy with decisions that will answer back - for all candidates sitting Maths & for all standing for office. [Yesterday, now.]

There is a distinct satisfaction in voting. Not only do I feel generations of female relatives breathing approvingly down my neck as I honour them, but with a single pencil mark, I earn the right to grouch. Huge satisfaction in finding the menfolk had already voted without prompting.

Software testing - all went more or less to plan, seemingly & I was able to point out a couple of areas that appeared to have escaped the official tickbox notice. Given how completely underqualified I felt at the start, to be able to have something to contribute was a massive pleasure.

Hurrah! No more maths exams, no more voting & it's Friday! There is even sunlight in between the showers.

Hugs, handshakes, hot water bottles, parasols, strategic shawls and general waves of benevolence all round!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 39,721 Thanks
    Frith
    Another GCSE maths exam to go here, DfV! Paper 2 yesterday. Biology today. Next week = Eng Lang, maths, physics, more physics, chemistry, more chemistry, history and Resistant Materials... then, no more! Hope they're going ok in your house.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 9th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 8,279 Posts
    • 31,537 Thanks
    ampersand
    I am in tears on and off as I write.
    Have been Lady in Red and running and speaking and phonebanking and door-knocking and telling and donating and fodder-baking and taxi-ing and counting and writing and working and talking and persuading for so many days......

It has all been worthwhile.

No longer have any idea of time, day, date, but DO know, gloriously, this:

1. http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/daniel-zeichner-elected-celebration-cambridge-13160202

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-40214213/daniel-zeichner-mobbed-by-supporters-after-cambridge-win

Zillions more. &squat vaguely recognised and rtn'd to @ 6 bells. Crikey! 10hrs ago already? Not possible.

2. We all freely exercised this precious Right to Vote, even in Stroud.

3. Oh Mrs LW, this is really for us and vl and all welcome others -

A fantastic, sweet, underdogs win for the Blues v. Lions. Lowliest team in Conference this enzed year, yet a remarkable win with a remarkable try from Ihaia West, a very, very &home boy with famberley-connected one-time co-players. 22-16, yes thankyou. This run fully recalls Beauden Barrett's stunning try in Paris last November, &-assisted))). Boy Beau ran down to &'s AB flag...oh, yes he did:-)))

Enjoy them both, all over again -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12WQeiS3SFk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSkXcBy3O8

-and beautiful Sonny Bill played a blinder, too.
    Lions face Crusaders next, who haven't lost all season.
    djoko gone from French Open adds lush mini-portion of schadenfreude to yummy mix.

3. What has happened is real.

4. CAMaraderie in all truest ways: so many wonderful, caring, honest, hard-working, willing, united volunteers, from babes in arms to upper 80s. Tmrw's Victory Party moved to round ball stadium. Late msg is 'too many to fit in AW Hall.' A bit more baking & - and a decent bot. or several. Et oui, will be done.

5. To Church en rte to town of horse and lesson to muslim family shortly. Much and many peeps to reflect on, leave there, pray for, give thanks, have quiet+still time.
    #
    Will catch up on osps reading next week. Thankyou to all .
    Best sort Spookymen tickets next, 1st stop Oxford Sheldonian, 7 July.
    #
    Let's all just sublime into this -

http://spookymen.com/watch/
    Last edited by ampersand; 09-06-2017 at 4:11 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' FranÁois-Marie AROUET

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 11,123 Posts
    • 153,493 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Vive le Balloon Ovale...it's a beautiful game!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 10th Jun 17, 7:08 AM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 12,839 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Friend came for lunch. Managed to make quiche sugar it with salad. Salad leaves and potatoes from the garden. Had thought a food shop would be necessary but managed without.
    Had a good catchup.

2. Read my book for some of the day. Eventually managed to sit outside. Evening turned out nice after the heavy showers all day.

3. Text from a colleague to see how my back is. Made me feel better. Painkillers have made it bearable today.

4. Funding has been approved for MIL in a nursing home which is a relief. She hasn't been told yet so hasn't refused to go yet. I'm sure she will find a problem with it.

5. Relaxed eve chatting with TH and DS2 sharing a bottle of wine in the garden. Watching bats flying around.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 32,492 Thanks
    mhagster
    Teatime here but not decided what to do...shall rake in the fridge and see what I can find, not much left and should probably have done a shop today.

I've had a tough last few days. Been very tearful and upset easily.
    We went through OHs clothes yesterday . DD2 school is doing a winter clothes collection for charity and we decided a few weeks ago that this is where we would give them . We had agreed with OH before he died that we would give them to a homeless charity. We cried. We laughed. We've all kept a few things each. I don't think there's a right time to do it and whenever we did it , it was going to be difficult but hopefully people will be warmer this winter because of our donation. OH loved clothes and clothes shopping...me not so much! ( unless it's a bargain from op shop!)

I'm listening to his noisy music on the iPad , it's not my taste in music but there's an odd comfort in listening. One clean bathroom and tidier bedroom whilst listening.

I'm going to have a bash at making DD2 a wrist corsage for her school formal ( prom) , we went to the florist and they wanted a fortune, florist has recently been taken over and prices have shot up. I bought red tulips with the last of my Mother's Day vouchers. Shall polish my bedroom furniture then put them in my room.

The first of my red camelias have flowered....looks like spring is coming...one week into winter! Put some in a jam jar!

Have been invited to a winters feast for a friend's birthday in a few weeks. These are the friends that kept us fed whilst OH was in hospital and after he died so looking forward to some delicious food and good company.

Lovely chats with friends from home this morning, they are good listeners.

Have a lovely weekend.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 11,123 Posts
    • 153,493 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A decent nights sleep last night and NOT waking up this morning at silly o clock with the light levels, feel my 'ping' has returned!

2) Fab pickings from the polytunnel at the moment and loganberries showing red on the bushes in the garden, not red enough to pick but showing willing! strawberries to pick too though.

3) He Who Knows got all the prep done yesterday and has today started painting the landing, stairs and hallway. It's a big old area so it will take time but the colour already looks much lighter and better on the walls.

4) Looking after the two spaniels next door this afternoon and evening while their mum and dad go to a family do!

5) washing on the line already and almost dry, love this warm and breezy weather.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 19,850 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Much thoughts are with Mhags, Rosie and Tilly send appropriate doggy cuddles.
    Some pleasures for the week,

The cold, wet weather meant that put away jumpers were brought out again and blankets put back on the bed.

At the age of 53 I attended my first Pilates class! Was pleased to hear that my core muscles were still in place and reasonably strong ( thank you Bill ) but hips and knee joints creaked, will go again.

Thank goodness for Arnica, silly accident getting out of bath meant impressive and immediate bruise on back of leg but thanks to said herbal remedy soreness quickly went.

Northern Soul World Cup on 6 radio and discovering NS radio station, another life for me but many happy memories.

Watching bird mamas feed their offspring on our front lawn.

Voting and watching the unfolding drama, dice rolled and spectacularly backfired.

Gogglesprogs back on tv.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thank goodness its the weekend !
    Woke at 4am today with anxiety attack about something I was doing yesterday at work and now thinking I have forgotten to do something but wont know till Monday, Hope its just my mind playing tricks on me

1. slept most of the evening on the sofa but managed to watch some of the last leg. Good job I had some sleep earlier in the evening !

2. the sun is shining so washing is on. Mountains to do today as usual

3. blackbirds on the lawn running around with beak full of worms

4. DS has had a week off and we are decluttering House is full of 20 years of stuff !

5. bought some summer clothes and I am now in a size 14 trousers I went down from obese to overweight before my op in October and am now managing to lose 2lb a month
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Jun 17, 11:29 AM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 43,436 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Ooooh Northern Soul, love a bit of that Must hunt 6 radio down!

1. Another lovely soiree chez Chap. For the 4th night in a row I fell asleep with my glasses on and my phone/book in my hand! (DD has been coming in to remove said items when I'm at home). Wonder what's up with me? Normally I struggle to get to sleep....I'm not knocking it though, am enjoying the rest

2. Mr M's provided lots of delicious random YS items for our dinner last night. I couldn't be bothered to cook, but with 10p salad, 65p pizza, 29p amazing posh juice, 39p tub of scrumptious yoghurt I didn't need to!!

3. Used another of Chap's £8 off £40 spend at Whatmore's to buy a present for his folks, prosecco for me and a birthday bottle of whisky for him, to go in my present stash for a bit later in the year

4. Fab day at school yesterday, my little lovelies were so cute and hard-working. Even my usual trouble-maker has had such a good week, I was able to give him Star of the Week (which nearly had his mummy in tears, bless her!)

5. One of my lovely parents at school has loaned me a candyfloss machine so I can make some for a science experiment - not for eating (much) We're making fossils in science on Monday so DD and I will need to get experimenting this weekend, to make sure it works! The class can't wait - only half of them, as the other lot are Y4 and they'll do a 'boring' science lesson in comparison

6. Free newspaper at MrW's for spending over £10.

7. Free on-street parking outside the lovely caf! Chap and I met on our first date *swoon *

8. Chap also had a chance to reminisce as he waited for a bus near where we had our first smooch *swoon *

9. Have paid for our end of term night out - first time I'll be taking a plus one in many a year

10. DD got more fab exam results, yay! Her academic scholarship should be safe for next year, lol.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 28,063 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Bog Off ... Read On!
    to the wakers and others!

5 Week at mill and some changes. Still vacancy for counter of beans. We have enough water inn the top pond to do untill Thursday, so I have it rains on the hills.

4 Had usual fest this morning of snorker, best back, star cut trimmed toms, poached egg on hot buttered toast and mushrooms. Well worth it to rub my tum!

3 Then we had Bog Off. The crapper is out ready for painting. BoPsie was expecting plenty of profanities, but lets say, bu99er that and get on with it! Out inn one. Hopes that I has no too much wobbleade and attempt to sit downstairs!

2 Night wes inn town with the red paint! More later!

You only do it to draw attention to me!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 10th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 19,280 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Skint, well done on the sizes, I am aiming to get back to 12/14, I am 16 now and feel better for losing it just keeping plodding at it.

For Friday
    1 I worked at home and got things done. Just as well I didnít go in as the motorway was shut all this morning.
    2 I went to the docs who said my tests showed I have a specific acute infection as they were able to confirm what it is, they have prescribed the right large dose of antibiotics hereís hoping.
    3 I drove DH to his eye apt and could take a break while they did that, heís now wearing shades in the house for a bit.
    4 Cleaned up the house to also make sure everything is clean for the neutered animal wounds.

For today
    DH had a call today about his results from yesterday, no panic but they want to see him weds for an op, and I will need to take him of course, my problem that I will need to sort in the back ground was that was my last day in, just have to hope they are ok with it.

1 The lawn is mowed but the weeds are making a takeover bid, I will have to put weed killer down before we head on holiday that way no harm to the animals. I havenít dared get in holiday mode because of DF but it looks like we are going to be able to enjoy.
    2 Ordered a vast shop for DF to be delivered day before we go.
    3 I weeded all around another big bag of garden stuff collected.
    4 I popped out to get the li)l cheese offer and as I was turning back into our driveway spotted something fluffy. Parked up and a new born blackbird had fallen from somewhere, I watched and the mum came down from a piece of woodland but an hour later and it had moved into the road, so I scooped it up and put it into the woodland and sure enough itís mum scooped around. I will check on it, hoping its better than being squished on the road at least. I donít want to take it away from itís mum.
    5 It may be take out tonight, or we may be good I am veering to takeout thou.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 39,721 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for yesterday:

1) Awake until 4.30 watching the election. Can't believe TM hasn't resigned. Well done, Ampersand and other helpers! Nowhere near unseating our chap, sadly.

2) Bigger son's biology papers 2 and 3 went OK.

3) Hens OK.

4) Fish and chips for tea.

5) Smaller son had football practice and my former colleague was there so chatted to her.

6) Watched the Last Leg.

Today

1) A very good sleep after the 2 hours I got on Thursday night!

2) Got loads of washing done and changed bunk beds, despite continuous rain again.

3) Tasty part baked rolls for lunch.

4) Bigger son did OK at work (local pub) then I dropped him off at the local carnival.

5) Did some revision with bigger son then watched Casualty.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,646Users online

Martin's Twitter