Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1879
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 14th May 17, 11:26 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 34,313 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Happy Mother's Day mhags. As you know ours was a few weeks back
    Pm to bop have gone off tangerines!and from an ex hatter too. Pooey
    1) after excitements of midnight plumber had a lie in
    2) promised sunshine indeed appeared and got washing out on line
    3) then off to Edinburgh with 4 friends to spend afternoon with another friend who moved down 6 months ago. It's taken us a while to all be available the same weekend!
    4) we had roast chicken and played careers with counters that looked remarkably like cluedo figures. Prof plum won
    5) home to find xoh has fixed door handle, hung a couple of pictures, sorted the tv and rehung the downstairs loo mirror. She's going tomorrow so no more little jobs ( though hoping she can hang front room curtain rail before she goes!) but she'll be taking some stuff away so very much progressing :-)
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 14th May 17, 11:36 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,800 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    3. Dgs1 3rd birthday party, he had short hair today as he had been cutting his long locks himself! Had to be tidied up by barber.
    4. Joining in with the kids on the bouncy castle.
    5. Seeing all my family.
    Originally posted by topsyturphy
    That made me smile, I wonder how many times the barber has done a quick repair of U-16 DIY haircuts?
    Possibly over 16's too. I have a memory of ex OH deciding he could cut my hair for me and DD's too, despite protests. Wrecked tresses and angst for weeks as our hairdresser was away on leave...

I haven't made the sourdough bread yet, but will do.
    Quick collection.

1. Cycling in warm weather. The house was relatively cold, the kitchen so much so my bread was sullen to rise, but outside was warmer - as I discovered, having prepared for a cool cycle!

2. Lovely fundraising concert and quick catch ups with old friends. I was saddened to hear of the death at the end of March of someone who had dropped outside our circle some time ago.
    I felt sad that I had missed the funeral, but when I looked up details of their death online, it took place the same day as L's funeral last month. The services were at different crems, well over the width of the county apart in distance and only a couple of hours apart in time. I couldn't have got to both services.

3. More money-saving recipes sourced from odd places. Today's was a savoury bread pudding made from fridge and storecupboard staples. Stodge, but hm bread made it tastier.

4. A few more flowers on my oriental poppy and the promise of many to come. I hope stray footballs from the park don't flatten it..

5. Your pleasures. Good to hear you made it to NYC in one piece, BoP and BoPsie. Front row seats... oh get in!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 15th May 17, 12:05 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 18,677 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    BOP and Bopsie, wow..

1 Lovely to see the butterflies and bees on the garden plants.

2 Did a fridge check and used up everything good for us into a bolognaise type thing, I put the leftovers in a tub on the side to cooldown, and dh got excited thinking it was a Christmas pudding…

3 A friend from up north is working “dan” south and called into see us, bought an old generator off DH, and played with the animals.

4 A little bit of cleaning and tidying.

5 Watching Thunderbirds.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th May 17, 7:02 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 11,885 Thanks
    villagelife
    Interesting couple of days.

1. Went to see Harry Potter film on Saturday with live orchestra and it was excellent.

2. Ate out and then had a walk round London.

3. Friend came and stayed til Sunday. We hadn't seen him since Christmas.

4. DS2 cooked honey glazed ham which was good.

5. Glass of wine in the garden.

DS1 girlfriend was meant to be coming with us but felt she couldn't cope with it. She has mental health problems and now feels she needs to be admitted before she self harms. Her GP was good on Friday but mental health team didn't want to know as they had discharged her a couple of weeks ago on a phone call.
    Hopefully something will be done today.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 15th May 17, 11:41 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 31,531 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hope your son's girlfriend gets the help she needs village life

Almost bedtime!

Love a Monday at work and payday!

Picked up by my Canadian friend, who was recently in Europe for Vimy commemoration, lots to chat about but oh dear getting in and out of her very low sports car! Waaaah! Her treat. Went to what was at one point mine and OHs favourite cafe , not been for a long while. Had a scone and peppermint tea. Her treat.

I'm trying to be a grown up by drinking peppermint tea. I'm not really a hot drink-er and don't like coffee or regular tea and most cafes don't stock lactose free milk or I would have a hot chocolate but don't want soy milk.
    Cafe had it's fire on! It's so chilly! Was a very foggy start, a bit eery walking to work this morning.

DD2 not well today and off school but had to go in for a theatre production doodah this evening, she's very critical of herself but I thought it was good...what do I know? I'm just her biggest fan! Same again tomorrow but being assessed by external assesors.

Dog snuggles. I've had a few 'moments' today and he just comes up and snuggles in.

Have a good day.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th May 17, 3:11 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 26,912 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    BoP Tour Live ...
    At the battery. Boat waiting. The crown awaits.

Loads more later.
    I sold my only sock
    For a handshake and twenty menthol cigarettes
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 15th May 17, 9:18 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 34,313 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Want to be a part of it, New York, New York
    1) Started day by tidying my desk - much better
    2) lunch was hm cheese and tomato sarnies.
    3) lift home from mr piano very welcome as it's back to wet and cold
    4) boys have had a hair cut - very smart
    5) now in the front room watching maigret. seems ages since we could sit in the front room. unfortunately a) no curtains (curtain rail hasn't been put up right) and b) can't remember how to switch tv on (i know totally useless) so am watching it on my laptop.
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 15th May 17, 9:40 PM
    • 4,366 Posts
    • 21,044 Thanks
    VickyA
    Good evening everyone

Busy weekend for me, but absolutely lovely.

1) Met up with an old school friend whom I hadn't seen for a year. Picked up where we'd left off! Quite scary that we'd first met each other 27 years ago.

2) £50 off my first ever Ocado shop. A £20 voucher code turned into £25 because I hadn't checked out... and another £25 off for using a deal on my credit card. Fabulous!

3) Part-time working is getting closer and closer. My headteacher is offering me part time (potentially) from after half-term.

4) Went to the sports centre and did the "Insanity" class. Gosh it's a workout and a half. Next one booked in for Wednesday!

5) Omelette for supper cooked by DH. Perfect!
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 67,281 Thanks
    VJsmum
    BoP - walk the highline. One of the few things you can do for free in NYC

Pleasures for Saturday

1. Went out for lunch with DD - she is very happy in her last term
    2. Cleaned the kitchen and office and have moved back in. Let's hope i stay there
    3. Had yummy steak for tea, with the rest of last night's wine
    4. Watched Eurovision - such a beautiful, emotional heartfelt song won. The right choice

And yesterday

1. went out for breakfast with DD and OH. Food was ok (went to 'spoons) but the clientele were a bit rough
    2. Had a nice walk back, went the long way round and we had a nice chat
    3. did some work in the garden - looks better than it ever did
    4. Had a barby for tea.

And today

1. out for lunch ( for a change)
    2. went to the dentist. I have a huuuge bruise on my jaw from the work last week, but it isn't unusual. He has filed down the new filling as he thinks it is causing my saw jaw
    3. nice bit of gentle rain on the garden, all day. Just what it needs
    4. clean sheets tonight

Night all.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th May 17, 10:10 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 26,912 Thanks
    BoP Tour Live. ...
    Climbed to the crown of the statue. They have a lift so far for wimps. It had a thirty minute wait. Selfie transmitted to Blighty. Gloating like mad.

Ellis island visited. Awesome.

Feet now up.

VJSmom. Philadelphia tomorrow. May do highline Friday.

PM2DD. We're inn the swing of it.
    I sold my only sock
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 15th May 17, 11:01 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,800 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    You might like to see this BoP and BoPsie. It was filmed in the Reception Hall of Ellis Island.
    One of my favourite folk songs references Ellis Island and the first person to pass through the doors in 1892, 15 year old Irish girl Annie Moore. The song follows an introduction . This version is rather over-sung and over-orchestrated, but it is a lovely song.
    Sean Keane's version is the best.

Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th May 17, 7:00 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 11,885 Thanks
    villagelife
    DS1 GF hasn't managed to receive help yet. People aren't phoning back once messages have been left. DS1 seemed slightly better but hopefully something will be sorted.

1. Traffic good on way to work.

2. Fairly quiet day at work which is what I needed as feel drained.

3. Shepherds pie for tea , comforting food.

4. Chat with my parents.

5. Glass of wine in garden with DH.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 16th May 17, 12:46 PM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 31,531 Thanks
    mhagster
    Work. ( done , Tuesday my least favourite day as it's so quiet)

A day of no peppermint teas...the pleasure being whilst it's been nice meeting people and catching up, there was no one to meet today

Made steak pie with RTC steak done in slow cooker. For tea tomorrow night, everyone out and about tonight.

Friend from Sydney called had a good chat with her.

DD1's friend was supposed to be staying overnight. So they have a nice clean bathroom, the stairs are hoovered and there's a nice made up spare bed...even had the heater on...except she's not staying! Jobs are all done though!

Sat at my desk and went through paperwork/ emails. Have already had replies. So more to deal with tomorrow.

Chat with my sister.

Back out to school for drama doodah! Better tonight than last night and it was being assessed and marked tonight.

Have a good day
    Last edited by mhagster; 16-05-2017 at 1:16 PM.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 16th May 17, 1:03 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,800 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Collection:

1. Lovely clothes as birthday gifts from sis and friend. I love my long floral top from sis which covers a multitude of late middle aged sins. Leggings from friend have a high waist, woo-hoo! Finally manufacturers understand that not everyone buying leggings wishes to display their underwear.

2. Meal out at the most MSE establishment in the district (outside Wetherspoons, which wouldn't have been up to scratch for a birthday meal). A lovely hot filled baguette, proper chips and salad for under a fiver. The pub has a lovely setting and we looked out on to a glorious garden with a beautiful mock orange in full blossom. Shame about the rain, but it was needed.

3. My mother always picked Lily of the Valley from her garden for me on my birthday. As birthday gifts I had Lily of the Valley soap and separately, a Lily of the Valley scented drawer liner.
    Neither friend knew that Lily of the Valley is always associated with my Mum and my birthday to me.

4. Chat with DD on the phone and I will see her tomorrow for belated birthday celebrations. Three chats with sis as I kept finding things to tell her. Including DD's and SoniL's choice of holiday destination, which was my sister's first holiday overseas, aged 21 or so.

5. I have just won £25 worth of gift card vouchers. I already have a small fortune in Am@zon gift cards as birthday presents, so I have converted this unexpected windfall in to vouchers for Mr T.'s to help with the grocery bills.

6. Your pleasures, thank you.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th May 17, 8:13 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 26,912 Thanks
    BoP Tour Live ...
    On train. Now inn Philadelphia. Bell well cracked up to be. New hotel. Public subway free except afternoon rush hour. Fantastic.

Loads more later
    I sold my only sock
    • Frith
    • By Frith 16th May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 38,711 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday)

1) Took the car to the garage and the pleasure was that (I think) they have found out what is wrong with it. A mere £580 to fix next Monday. :-O

2) Got many jobs done round the house - cleaned the turtle tank, changed beds, hoovered, did bits of admin.

3) Went to the allotment and did over an hour of digging. Nearly ready to plant out our pumpkin, courgette and sweetcorn plants off the window sills and also salad and rainbow chard. Hens happy getting worms where I was digging.

4) Had a scary phone call from school re bigger son who had disappeared (plus ca change) but the pleasure was he turned up for both French papers and Biology 1. He said they were not a problem.

5) Healthy eating continues (it is a 42 plan I have devised with many getting organised elements as I will be 42 in 42 days. Or 42 days from when I started!)

6) Bigger son did another poem and we watched the final episode of the Island.

7) He just came in in his pyjamas (that he's been wearing since 7) and said he had been for a bike ride! Just a quick one around the village but he'd also gone barefoot pretending he was on the beach (!)

8) Watched Holby City.

9) Nice email from the lady who taught our course at (former) work who will pop to see me to make sure my coursework is OK and passes.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 16th May 17, 11:01 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 34,313 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    42 frith isn't that the answer to everything? i will be 54 in 102 days 1) colleague gave me lift in cos we had 8am skype. 3 hour meeting. went very well
    2) after very good meeting with 2nd phd student (vjsmum thought of you) and another meeting we went for lunch. in true mse style i had taken my own packed lunch
    3) phd student gave me very nice box of chocolates (take note vjsmum rotfl)
    4) yummy tea with mr piano and mr town planning
    5) early night
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 17-05-2017 at 7:06 AM.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th May 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 11,885 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. worked with a nice colleague who had agreed to help me out if I needed it. Helps not having to be conscious of the time.

2. DS2 cooked risotto. It was very tasty but he did complain how long he had to stir it for.

3. Text from my sister.

4. Started looking up times of trains for a visit to a friend.

5. Sat in the peace of the garden.

Still no news on DS1 girlfriend. Very limited help available.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 17th May 17, 8:29 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 31,531 Thanks
    mhagster
    Let me find some pleasures amongst the direness of the day.

Work, 'twas okay and looking forward to my busy Thursday.

We have boxes and boxes of nutritional feed that was OH's , just drop it in when you're passing! It's not somewhere where you just pass. There are kits from when he had his PICC line dressing changed each week...just drop it in when you're passing. So I've been meaning to ask my friend each week when when we catch up on a Friday and we chat about everything else but that so I emailed her today and asked if she could run me in to city with everything and yes she could and let's do it Friday . Gulp! So soon! And it's not really soon it's 11 weeks on and we don't need them and someone else might. One less thing to 'do' . Gulp! Don't know how I will feel about going back to our main cancer hospital.

My poor DD2 , so upset at school and asking to be brought home. Duly done and emails sent. Sigh! I'm glad I was here for her.

Dog snuggles whilst listening to the rain on my office roof. Slightly milder first thing instead of blooming freezing. Heating's on now though.

Steak pie is in the oven along with RTC potatoes ($5 down to $1). Yummo!

The biggest snooze this afternoon....all tucked up under the covers and slept for 2 hours.

Emails sent asking where's my pensions?

Tomorrow is another day
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 17th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 18,677 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Villagelife: I heard about the HP film via Twitter, it sounded like a great time.

Over the last couple of days, back later with today’s

1 Glad for the heavy rain which has perked up the plants.

2 I tidied out the kitchen corner unit, so I know what we have now, and discovered a luxury hot choc unopened tin which is welcome, and some very out of dates bits that I made into bird foot, suet etc.

3 We went over the bridge to pick up bits for DF and the animals, and replaced our kettle under warranty. We decided to do a shop in c0stco and have dinner there very cost effective.

4 We went to the cinema to see Guardians of the Galaxy2 and it was fantastic, we stuck to our diet and very proud as we had a chicken wrap and banana as snacks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,487Users online

Martin's Twitter