Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1866
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Apr 17, 7:37 AM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 17,639 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    chella well done paying off your debt
    MrsLW well done on your BMI

Tuesday pleasures

1. phoned GP at 8am managed to get an appointment for 9am !!
    Still waiting to hear about neck she couldn't see reply from ENT & I have to wait for other doc to write to me. However she has now referred me to a dietician re diabetes

2. lovely sunny day managed 2 loads of washing dry on the line.

3. managed to wash kitchen windows & patio doors and guttering (gutter of ground floor extension not 2 floor roof height )

4. went for a walk to stretch my aching back afterwards

5. made a piri-piri chicken with nando sauce only 99p in co-op and had dinner with DS who was home for a change - on a rest day before going into volunteer job at 7pm.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 19-04-2017 at 7:39 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 19th Apr 17, 10:46 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 30,874 Thanks
    mhagster
    Today my cheque finally cleared. This is such a relief.
    Work was okay. I'm happier being busy. No nasty phone calls.
    Cleaned fridge. Washed all cushion covers and throws. Even chanced washing the sofa covers ...I have cream sofas and a brown dog! Pleasantly warm today.
    Took 2 bags of stuff to salvos .
    Had chicken curry for tea , from freezer.

Have a nice day
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 19th Apr 17, 12:06 PM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 25,984 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Please lock the doors
    Thank goodness BoP is off to the Apple of Big. He will miss the conjecture. Note to readers. BoP has not seen the news since 21:33Z 1982-05-03. It was a Monday. You’ll miss nought. Also around that time the hacks were ceremoniously removed from the local inns. Just yesterday their filthy offspring were wanting words on friend from last week. Keep mum, stay stum. Don’t read their dirty ink words. Avoid. BoP house is tuned into Classic FM. Radio silence has been declared.

5 Losers were posting items yesterday, we had a firelighter was pushed through letterbox last night. Will come in handy to set the leaves on fire come autumn. Think we will get a few more. Best place for them I say. If you have no leaves to burn, then please recycle responsibly.

4 Got home last eve to do the Chicken Banjaxo. Proper food, not that expensive carp in the joint of burger. Note to readers, Chicken cost £2.54. It has provided 4 meals at 64 pennies per meal. With the banjaxo sauce at £1.25, rice and bits for another £1, that is £1.80 for each curry or 90 pennies per portion. The joint of burger cannot compete with that. Eat proper! You know who I am on about! As usual BoP gaff serves the best food, with choice. Like it or lump it.

Chicken, from the roast on Sunday. With onion (non toenail this time), chili, termites, coriander, marem gasala. Served with fresh egg fried rice. Mushrooms, peas and corn were also thrown inn. No wobbleades were consumed. Salad was tossed on top. And there is enough left over again for tonight! Stead clear, evacuating and usual rules. Curry is maturing on the stove.

Please remember refrigerators are for chilling wine and cooling wobbleade. Please reheat properly if you follow advice of BoP. Oh and left over chicken was put in bath of bird and is now nesting with the magpies. Other birds were involved. Please do not put chicken on the ground as the cats could choke on it. Unfortunately, Raffles is capable of getting into the bird bath! No bird is safe.

My word, still on the subject of proper food and avoiding those shops that sell a slice of bread for the cost of four loaves! Only one man was able to do this and he bought the wine as well as the fish! BoPsie noted in w8rs last eve that they were selling protein pots and one was reduced to only the bar gun price of £1.50, from £2.29. Proper saving I think not ! One hard-boiled egg and spinach. By the time that BoP got a glecks see, some punter had purchased the egg! Remember deep pockets, short arms. Avoid. Note that BoP coming this Saturday will be the usual BoP fest. And I must say now the hens are kept indoors, the eggs are so …

3 Still at mill, not a pleasure, building up reserves to pay for bathroom. Oh and the exchange rates are favouring BoP. Deep pockets, short arms. Got it? And as you know, proper elevenses were taken this morning. Kettle, boiled, not that luke warm water for the foamed coffees. Tea was put in pot and tea was poured into milk. Digestive chocolate biscuit was taken and tum was rubbed. Proper foods not that carp available elsewhere. Please be careful of the foam drinks that contain glucose syrup. This is bad for you.

2 Night, prior to that BoP, beach ready, will be at the gym. More later! Oh and a reminder. BoP is at the dentist next week. Usual rules, it will hurt him more than it hurts me. See rules passim.

You can knock as much as you like, I‘m not answering, thank you!

Gosh has I rabbited on today!
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    • 10,464 Posts
    • 145,871 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Wonderful smell of cut grass as one of the meadows on Greenaway Lane had been mown this morning, not a hay cut but just cut and left down, was wonderful!

2) Woodpeckers 'yaffling' with their laughing cry in the gardens that back on to the river, always makes me smile.

3) Sitting in the sun through the lounge window to have a coffee this morning and feeling toasty warm.

4) Azaeleas and rhododendrons starting to open in gardens in their bright sizzling colours, one a vivid orange the brightest thing in the road, beautiful!

5) Lovely long chat with DD1 on the phone and the promise of some more clothes she's slimmed out of and I've slimmed in to, can't be bad can it?
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 19th Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 18,264 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    • I planted out some free tomato seeds, and planted anymore seeds we have around. But must shop for a special memorial plant something fitting, other animals helping me with all of the gardening, just seeming to want to be in company.
    • Food planned healthily with allowance for a day out tomorrow.
    • More washing loads hung out about 5 so far.
    • Cleaned up the upstairs, all mirrors, ceiling fan cleaned, bathroom top and bottomed, then dusted and hoovered.
    • Tonight’s dinner is a new pot salad with everything in with boiled egg, ham, sliced pork and gherkins.
    I went around checking on our little animals to find our little Minstrel had completely unexpectedly passed away in her sleep, a complete shock she wasn’t ill at all but apparently, her heart had reached the end. She came to us literally in a shoe box just under 6 years ago, now, unloved by the owner who didn’t understand why her living in a shoe box was literally driving her bonkers and then tried to demand money for her as well. Well she had free reign of the house and garden here for the rest of her life and loved life and having companions, but it was much shorter than we expected.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 19th Apr 17, 11:06 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 33,961 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    prediction for bop hatters will lead play-offs and go out first round lmao
    1) rubbish day at work. say no more. mse os? not all days are so !!!!!
    2) actually in between awfulness, there was good os. free cake at first meeting, lunch at second meeting (so today's hm lunch in fridge for tomoz) and 3rd meeting more coffee. had travel mug so took coffee from 3rd meeting to library afterward
    3) more !!!!ness which won't be disclosed. ended up leaving library, phoning xoh and having a bit of a bawl. good we've kept friends
    4) sat in garden chatting to xoh on phone (very bad reception in house for mobile). was quite warm
    5) then we (mr piano, me and 3 dogs) went up to mum's for supper with dear sister and her youngest and my 2 girls. very nice (though may have consumed a little too much wobbleade due to !!!!ne$$ of day. did i mention there was !!!!? lol. just one person. amazing now reflecting how much one person can bleuh whole day. actually rest of day pretty good. not looking forward to seeing them tomorrow though. bleuh! still could be worse, could be pip having let the infected cows out ;-)
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 19th Apr 17, 11:16 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 9,792 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    My five for today

1. Hot cross bun & fresh coffee for breakfast.
    2. Went to craft group & took finished rag doll - gave for charity stall in
    May.
    3. Painted some fabric ready to do some embroidery.
    4. Dh made chicken kebabs for dinner - really tasty.
    5. Cup of hot milk before bed.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 20th Apr 17, 1:17 AM
    • 4,202 Posts
    • 37,743 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday already!)

1) A lie in until 11am!

2) Went to the allotment to feed the hens and found bigger son there and MrN's son5. MrN's son's bike had a puncture beyond repair so took him and the bike back to his house.

3) To the library to use the computers (cannot get my printer to work) and printed out payslips as these are sent to me as emails. Also reserved some books on calligraphy (bigger son has shown an interest) and was amazed to see, when the librarian was reserving the books in his name as it is free for children, that there is another boy with THE SAME NAME locally!!! It is not that common a name at all. Interestingly, about 90% of the county's books on calligraphy are in prison libraries locally so cannot be reserved.

4) Went to next town to watch smaller son doing his football school. He didn't see me for about 10 minutes which is always fun! Generally running around, shouting to his mates and taking part. The only thing he doesn't do is, if they are all taking turns at goal, he doesn't sit down in a line to wait for his turn but stands to one side (sort of by the line of children) twirling gently. I notice the man in charge has stopped asking him to sit down now.

5) Exciting 40 minutes of work learning how to be a Presiding Officer for the elections - the only election type job I have not done over the past 20 years. Everyone very jolly at the council.

6) Phoned my brother who is working in a small Devon town moving slow worms from a construction site to an allotment. He is getting a bit bored of being by himself 24 hours a day now and has done enough walking along that bit of coast to wile away the hours to last him a lifetime! He has about 22 hours a day free.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 20th Apr 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 30,874 Thanks
    mhagster
    Bedtime.
    Busy at work which makes the time fly by.
    Lovely dog walk.
    Drove to next town , bought a new cushion ( I do like cushions) with a voucher specifically for that purpose. A birthday gift from kids. May also have bought very RTC easter chocolate. Went to aldi for dishwasher powder.
    Took 2 big bags of stuff from DD2 to Salvos.
    Had a mystery meal from freezer which turned out to be lovely chicken pie, sprouts and carrots and peas.

Have a good day
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 20th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 2,951 Thanks
    juliettet
    My 5 today (and yesterday)
    1. Foiled Daisy cats attempt to catch birds by piling up pruned branches under the bird feeders so the ground feeders can hop about in safety.
    2. A clear desk last night. Need to keep up as away for a few days next week.
    3. No lights needed this morning for my 6am shower. It is Spring. Desperate to buy plants at the weekend but still risk of frost here in Scotland.
    4. Treating myself to a manicure tonight, nails of red will be flashed.
    5. Lovely chat with my Aunt in Lincolnshire and promise to visit in July.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 20th Apr 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 25,984 Thanks
    After that ...
    Cannot believe that I rabbited so much about nonsense last day.

5 What can I say about the stove curry. A day makes it all the more fury! Tum was rubbed. Fresh egg fried rice was served as well. Not that benny from crossroads carp either. Proper food. Now that was four meals and the local magpies happy as well!

4 Sanded two walls in the bedroom. Two to do tonight ready for buckets of paint. Proper paint as well, the one with the dog version. Proper job.

3 Still at mill to get the hay inn to pay the bathroom job. BoPsie has yet to test her bubble stuff inn the bath. Seriously I cannot find my ducks at the moment as well. More later. Please note, it is dangerous to play with squirty rubber ducks if you are not used to them.

2 Nite is Camera club and image of the year. More later.

Don’t loosen your grip

OMG Frith. Slow works. Raffles favourite afternoon snack!

DD At least they're in the semi final!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 20-04-2017 at 1:48 PM.
    No one dreams of escape
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 20th Apr 17, 2:21 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    VickyA
    Good afternoon everyone!

Long time no update. End of term, followed by going away with my mother, returned home then away with DH and the in-laws... I'm enjoying the peace with no nagging/"opinions". However, obviously it's good to spend time with family but my ears have just about stopped bleeding.

Pleasures for the last few days:

1) A good sort out and 3 bags of books and stuff taken to the charity shop. There's now a teensy bit of space in our spare room...

2) Coffee with a friend & colleague. Good to catch up.

3) Reading my book. Ooooh, it's so good.

4) Had some time away from social media. Some. It's difficult, but it's reducing my stress. That and planning my day more thoroughly.

5) Listening to Bryony Gordon's podcast interview with Prince Harry. So, so interesting and moving. A must-listen.
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Apr 17, 5:45 PM
    • 10,464 Posts
    • 145,871 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Have just made 10 jars of rhubarb and fresh root ginger jam to use in the winter, yum, yum!

2) Visited a new to us Garden open to the public beside the River Test, really nice down by the river and dabchicks, geese and swans all nesting but it rained on us as well.

3) Came home via the Arboretum at Romsey where we're members and had a nice walk there but decided against lunch out as the restaurant was awash with small people and mums.

4) Lovely neighbour rang to ask if we'd like some potted sunflower seeds for Zebra to grow on, isn't that lovely?

5) Pair of buzzards 'wind dancing' on the thermals over the village as we drove back in at lunchtime, beautiful!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 20th Apr 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 18,264 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 A nice day woken up by a fuzzie trying to curl up in my hand, awwww.
    2 DH and I went a few towns over, for cheap shops, all of which were useful various B&M, Savers and £1land all helpful for bits and bobs.
    3 Popped into a garden centre for inspiration but didn’t get any, but did pick up some 50p plants.
    4 Just had a quick soup for dinner.
    5 Cleaned the pond filter, and pond out, nice to see the flowers coming out and the pond still with newts in.
    6 Some offers through for next week.
    7 After a lot of research and I will be ordering I hope a lovely anniversary present for DH for his man cave.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 21st Apr 17, 12:14 AM
    • 4,202 Posts
    • 37,743 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today (Thursday)

1) A lie in!

2) Bigger son came home to have a shower (they're at their father's this week).

3) Went to watch smaller son playing football again.

4) Went to Ludlow to look round the charity shops.

5) Stopped on the Clee Hills to look at the scenery and read my magazine in the warm car.

6) Took my mum and dad to the local brewery (they have different food themed nights and tonight was "fish") and they were quite jolly.

7) Just cleaned the filter out for smaller son's turtles and lobbed them a piece of cuttlefish and they have been chomping pieces out of it and swimming after it for ages - they're still doing it now in the dark with the tank lights off!

8) Voted for local election in May (postal vote).
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 21st Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 15,548 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sorry to read of your little one's passing PK but what a good life she had with you x

Some recent pleasures,

A few days away in York with my beloved.

Hotel was v swish and comfortable with a fine view of the Minster.

That beautiful old building, we spent hours in there marvelling at its architecture and discovering the hidden gems like the Green Men peeking out of pillars, a statement made by long gone masons. Lit candles for our loved ones.

Achy legs every night, we walked miles but never seemed too much.

A joyous welcome from our dogs, they obviously like the new kennels and were well looked after,
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 21st Apr 17, 11:42 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 30,874 Thanks
    mhagster
    York is one of my favourite places Lainey .

Hurrah for Friday.
    Work all done.

Lashing rain , good for gardens. Lots of autumnal colours. Berries and rosehips are bright.

Lovely surprise of flowers from old colleagues back home, just to say they were thinking of me . The florist delivery driver came into work to see when I'd be home! ( florist friend had said I'd be at work) Had an hour to discover who was sending flowers, was very intriguing!

Dropped off DD1 at uni, did grocery shop ( refund of $3 on last week's pack of turkey that came with a hair...my son kindly woke me up to tell me ...and that he would have to have ham sandwiches instead!) my planned budget was $100 and I was $106 .

Home and hoovered.

DD1 was fed at uni, DD2 out for dinner with friend, DS still away so I may have munched on hobnobs for tea!

Just lay on top of my bed with DD1 and watched car share. Chortled our way through that. Especially episode 3 .

Had a lovely email from our speech pathologist in response to lovely email I had sent him, to say thank you.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 21st Apr 17, 12:06 PM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 25,984 Thanks
    You know the rules ...
    5 Got home yesterday after reading about Frith Bruvver, and wandered how much he would offer for Raffles. Yet again I had to remove a worm of slow from his afternoon feast. If we went on the fines, he could have paid for a mansion by now! Still he is growing!

4 Still at mill making hay to pay for the bathroom jobs. They do look smacking. BoPsie has not released my ducks yet, but it will not be long. More later

3 Only just over three weeks to Apple of Big tour. Donald’s not invited us to lunch yet. Got phone thing sore ted for the trip as well. Upgraded again with discount now got all the world data in one mouthful. Pictures later.

2 Nite Train of Big Warster awaits. Cans of red paint are ready. Town it is. Curry shall be eaten.

PM2DD Looks like the dream team at the Theatre of Fish have been landed a sinker!

Now I do not need to hark on again and again and again and again and again and again. Keep off the foam drinks. Eat proper. I have known two people who had Diabetes type two and are now free from it. Eat proper, not the glucose enriched foamed cakes and things. Think BoP. Not that honey nut cereal bar for breakfast, but proper food like a snorker, best back, poached egg on hot buttered toast! Mushrooms as well. That fizzy pop drink stay clear. As for that smartie biscuit, it is just full of sugar. Avoid. Right that’s you lot tolds again! Enuff said!
    Click here for more views by BoP!

Coming Soon
    Apple of Big Ditties. Stay in the Parish!
    Including front row seats and more!
    No one dreams of escape
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Apr 17, 4:59 PM
    • 10,464 Posts
    • 145,871 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A trip to Exbury Gardens near Fawley in the New Forest where they have acres of rhododendrons and azaeleas most of which are now in glorious coloured bloom, it's like being inside a rainbow.

2) Taking a picnic and sitting on a bench on a bank absolutely covered in primroses tumbling down to a fern banked stream to eat it!

3) A drive home through the New Forest across to Beaulieu Station which is beautiful countryside and has many New Forest Ponies to see too.

4) Trying a new rhubarb recipe (for a savoury spread/toast topper) and discovering that savoury rhubarb is very nice indeed.

5) Finding it so much easier walking uphill now we've lost some weight.

• VickyA
    • By VickyA 21st Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    VickyA
    1) Very pleasant chap at the council offices put DH's car on record so we can use the local tip.

2) Free parking in town - a new spot discovered!

3) Using Shanks' pony to get into town for a second time.

4) Coffee with another friend. She paid. Good to catch up, even though we'll see each other at work on Monday.

5) FaceTime with cousin in Canada. Told her about my plan to visit her in Canada next year... just got to save up!!!!

6) Half of new job application completed. Just need to do the other half.

7) Banking done, credit card paid (in FULL!).
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,434Posts Today

6,787Users online

Martin's Twitter