Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1853
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 145,977 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Weekend pleasures

1) Being with DD1 and enjoying her company.

2) Lunch with DD and one of her colleagues and a 10 week old little lad who is scrumptious, we all had lunch and then when DD went off to her rehearsal for the concert the rest of us went home and had a cuppa and a cuddle for me with Brian the cat who I adore, most pleasant.

3) Nice stint in DDs garden pruning the apple tree, sorting out the rest of the borders and creating a woodpile for bugs and critters on her nature area beside the bug hotel there.

4) Getting all her ironing done yesterday. going through the house today and leaving her tidy and clean and cooking over the weekend to give her a break, she works too hard!

5) Being back home and looking out of the window here to see green on the hawthorn hedge and massed ranks of assorted daffodils all in bloom behind it facing the study window, so pretty!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 20th Mar 17, 8:41 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    VickyA
    Good evening everyone

Two days after my birthday and I'm still recovering. It felt strange having it on a Saturday and therefore NOT having to go to school. Slightly giddy!

Pleasures for the last few days:

1) Spending time with DH. He took me for afternoon tea at Chatsworth. Beforehand we visited the Chatsworth Farm Shop. Woah!!! Amazing treats.

2) Rugby yesterday. We won!!! Even had a free lunch, which should have cost £25 each! We're still feeling quite smug.

3) HM Spag bol (from the freezer) for supper this evening. Made Monday slightly more palatable!

4) Even more sorting done. Really need to get on and cut through it properly.

5) Salad already made for lunch tomorrow. Trying to be healthy, but actually all I want to do is eat chocolate!
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 20th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 4,624 Posts
    • 66,505 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Good evening everyone

Two days after my birthday and I'm still recovering. It felt strange having it on a Saturday and therefore NOT having to go to school. Slightly giddy!
    Originally posted by VickyA
    Happy birthday - you share it with my son
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 20th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 18,264 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Another day done, and a bit of a I’ll just get on with it.
    2 I was very hungry managed to eat the apple and banana I have been carrying about.
    3 Dinner will be pasta on the hope that means we won’t be hungry all day the tomorrow…
    4 Cleaned out the fridge, some scarey green ham was lurking.
    Banking 5 for now,sleepy very sleepy.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 20th Mar 17, 10:50 PM
    • 4,205 Posts
    • 37,770 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for yesterday and today....

Yesterday

1) A lie in!

2) Went for another long geocaching walk - found 14 over 3.5 hours.

3) Sons came home.

4) Did 3 lots of homework with smaller son.

5) My school friend phoned.

Today

1) Woke up at 3am because the power had gone off (don't know why but it always wakes me up!) A lorry on the main road had somehow managed to catch and snap a cable. All the roads from our crossroads were shut and a new cable lifted into place by the afternoon.

2) Bigger son still unwell and not at school. I worried about him all day, as I always do having to leave him to go to work. Also left him in the gloom with no hot water or heating (no power). But he said he likes pretending it is his house and pottering round and my brother had popped in and he'd made him a cup of tea "like it was my kitchen" :-)

3) Made lots of phone calls and hopefully the doctor will refer him again to psychology - also double checked what will happen if I resign from work to look after him and it is just about doable.

4) Took library books back and got more out.

5) Smaller son made some cookies from the Millies cookies recipe.

6) Watched University Challenge.

7) In bed and about to listen to Just a Minute.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,680 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    A collection:

1. Lovely music night on Friday was followed by a lovely meal out with two friends on Saturday. It was to mark one friend's birthday. The waiter overheard the reason and a chocolate cake came out, with candles. Friend was thrilled, her family hadn't thought of a cake for her. The food was amazing as well.

2.Another day of an energy burst yesterday. I did flake out at approx 6.30 pm and sleep for nearly three and a half hours. I still slept at nighttime but bedtime was delayed until 1.30 am. Wisely, I feel

3. Lots of fiddly little jobs done in the energy burst. Place is a lot tidier as a result.

4. Good job as Dr C paid a flying visit and picked up some goodies that he really appreciated. He made me laugh with one of his anecdotes that I can't repeat...

5. There is nothing more boring than someone else's dreams, is there? I rarely remember mine. (Feel free not to read on.)
    However I was really pleased I did remember last night as it involved my telling Jarvis Cocker* how big a fan of his I was and receiving an unexpected snog in return. How pleasant to recall all this on waking up.

* The human one, DD. Not your spaniel.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 21st Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 30,886 Thanks
    mhagster
    Oh shall I moan and say it's still warm? Thought today was to be cooler. Maybe tomorrow ! Lots and lots of rain though.

Early morning catch up with friend in my local cafe. I'd toast and bacon.

Lovely surprise and delivery of beautiful flowers ...from the girls ar the florist! Such a lovely gift.

Lunch of french toast with DS . Made from free free range eggs that the mum of the boys DD1 tutors gives us. Huge yolks and so yellow.

I've kind of been of been offered my old job back ..have set out conditions and the ball is in court for consideration....had only asked to use him as a referee on my CV. Quick calls to 2 friends for their counsel!

Made a nice mango & chicken curry for tea.

Off out soon to school eisteddfod ...DD2 has written & directed her houses piece.

Have a good day x
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 21st Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 4,624 Posts
    • 66,505 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - i am hoping by actually sitting down and typing something, i will follow it by doing some work instead of procrastinating (although this morning's procrastinating has been to put a load of washing on, including stripping two beds, and making a veggie curry out of all the odds and s0ds lying around the fridge).

So pleasures for yesterday

1. noticing the flowers on my magnolia
    2. The equinox - days become longer than nights, always A Good Thing in my book
    3. DS got an A for some history work let's hope he keeps it up
    4. lunch with friends.
    5. it was the anniversary of BiL's death obviously not a pleasure. The pleasure was that OH went to see his mum who had coped well with the day.

We have A Situation developed with my sister and her OH - he has kicked her out as she was seeing someone else a while ago I am trying not to judge, but i am at a loss to understand it. Now it seems that he has been "talking" to his ex-girlfriend over this time also (that's how my sister put it..). There are three kids involved (FN is away at uni, but still one of their 'kids' and has put up with a lot of $4!7 from the pair of them). I would like to bang their heads together. She has gone back to dad's for now until something gets resolved.... The only good thing is that dad has always been good in a crisis and is being so again....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 21st Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 26,041 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    This morning one got to dance with Old Nick
    5 I forgets 3 yesterday. Typical. Just like at the weekend I forgot to trim my fur. I am going yeti for a week or too. More later. After being in my ready for the beach wear yesterday, we rushed home to have cold salmon salad. BoPsie was upset a bit that two days on the trot we had salmon. I said if she did not want hers. I would.
    4 There’s BoP settled inn with the millwright and making hay, and previous salt mine, which has struggled to replace BoP!, has bin inn contact again. Thanks for the envelope, but no thanks. Perhaps the problem is with the lead, not the chair. I could say more, but I do not wants to … Envelope was nice though, brown and A4!
    3 Now Raffles, king of the jungle and protected newt pond, knows his tin of treats by heart. You only have to pick it up and he is on it. He only gets about three a week otherwise he would be not a sleek as he can be.
    2 Cannot believe it is only 8 weeks until BoP goes for lunch with Donald, and front row seats on Broadway. Got to book the ballet this weekend. We were wanting the opera, but not on when we are there.
    Minded from a comrade in arms who related his journey home for the first time during basic training. His favourite uncle told him not to bother coming back again. Those were not his words, but a more refined version. Glasgow. 1978.. Another colleague on the same course as me, was dumped in a lane near Larne. Both wanted better, came from opposite spectrums.
    There are many more walls today. There are more divisions.
    Your thoughts fade
    As you shake between the fags
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 145,977 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Beautiful sunny day here but cool with the breeze being quite brusque, nice to walk in with that hound though.

2) The noise of the wind in the rigging and the 'clanging' of the rigging against the masts of the yachts in dry store in the sailing club boat compound.

3) A very enthusiastic group of teenagers with canoes and kayaks down on the public hard on the river, huge 3 tier trailer awash with their boats all getting very excited as they prepared to launch into the river.

4) Cloud shadows on the water when the sun is out and silvery reflections on the water when the sun is behind the clouds moving fast in the wind, pretty!

5) Tiny leaves on the crab apple tree on the front lawn today and masses of bluebell leaves and primroses round his feet, promise of things to come.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 21st Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 33,961 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    A collection:

5. There is nothing more boring than someone else's dreams, is there? I rarely remember mine. (Feel free not to read on.)
    However I was really pleased I did remember last night as it involved my telling Jarvis Cocker* how big a fan of his I was and receiving an unexpected snog in return. How pleasant to recall all this on waking up.

* The human one, DD. Not your spaniel.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    haha you wouldn't want an unexpected snog from my Jarvis!
    1) Binge-watched Broadchurch when I got back from mum's fell asleep during episode 3. Woke up early and watched rest of 3 and 4 so now all caught up
    2) dentist -had chipped front tooth. check, clean, polish and mend came to under £30. very lucky to still have NHS dentists up here
    3) had already decided to hide in main library and catch up on some supervision (too many interruptions, too many politics at the office!) called in at charity shop on way down and bought a shopping trolley. It's red with white spots and white wheels and has been christened Minnie. Needs some Minnie Mouse ears
    4) then the post office to post 3 parcels, 1 to Hygge swap in USA (have been studying what I can and can't send - tea yes, coffee no, stationery yes, airbag no...), 1 to sister for birthday, 1 for son bits from Sri Lanka. girls' and xoh's little gifts from SL went via DD1 yesterday as they've gone to visit.
    5) hm cheese sandwiches and flask of tea for lunch, though have bought a couple of coffees and an empire biscuit, so half way to mse.
    Right, last 8 pages of this dissertation and I can go home with Minnie. Mr Piano is back from Paris (perhaps he bought your coat bop) - hope he's cooking!
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 21st Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 26,041 Thanks
    PM2DD

I've has started. I'm looking for it!

More later!

Here it is. Piano Man. Billy Joel! Had to be done!
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=billy+joel+piano+man&form=APIPA1&PC=APPD

Apologies, I have avoided google for years.
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 21-03-2017 at 8:40 PM.
    Your thoughts fade
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 21st Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 13,807 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Enjoyed all your posts! You lot make me giggle. Alot!!

* Bills paid today so it's no more avoiding getting my tax stuff together for the accountant. It will be my pleasure when it's turned in to him.

* Online bill pay!! No check writing, envelope addressing, flap licking or stamp sticking.

* Starting to line my cabinet shelves and put the freshly washed dishes up. I'm trying to cull as I go! It's wonderful that it's all so clean.

* My dear friend's new baby Karlea Mae is doing fine when I called. A calm babygirl unless it's time to eat. I can relate.
    Mummy's hormones are all over the places though. Her DH is off until Friday so that's helping her so much. He is 69 yrs. and is finding a new baby both a joy and a sleeping challenge.

* I'm gathering up everything for our trip to Albuquerque where we're will see Quoy! and I will have cataract surgery on Monday. Right eye then left in two weeks.
    "Until God opens the next door, praise Him in the hallway." Kelly Wahlquist
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Mar 17, 10:38 PM
    • 2,687 Posts
    • 17,646 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hope the cataract surgery goes well Mila. My DF had that yesterday he's been waiting for an appointment and they telephoned him yesterday and said can you come this afternoon ! He was in, done and home within a few hours.

Pleasures

1. green waste bin collected, it is still a novelty not to have to drive to the tip
    2. walked up to the hospital in the sun and blood tests were over and done within minutes
    3. walked home again via post office and posted DM's mothers day and birthday cards all in one envelope and just the cost of one normal first class stamp
    4. next door's magnolia tree continues to amaze me mini tulips flowering in my garden, a lovely splash of colour in amongst what is mostly various shades of green
    5. sounds of helicopters overhead. I do love the sound, but hope it doesn't go on too long as I want to get to sleep !
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 22nd Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 26,041 Thanks
    Another day down by the trees
    Ok, keep your eye in on this!
    5 Put my hat on the maker of books last night and it did not pay off. Well, only 20% up this month and still one weekend to play for. Please note BoP used to give his cash to some insurance scam, to pay for his pad, but it was like putting money into a drain. So for more fun, he now invests £5 a month and tries to get a night out. Sometimes it works! And is more fun! Please note, you could lose your hat as well.
    4 Down in my beach ready gear last evening, tutu in tow. I is not talking ripples, we are talking waves. More from the beach later.
    3 At the mill this morning. On the way home last evening, the non-smart motorway was blocked because a car had broken down. Maybe it has no hard shoulder. That is not smart! BoP of course flew pass on the back road. Wheels of steel!
    2 Night BoP has extra oranges available and will be delivering a full on tossing session. Pancakes it is. I know it is lent, but you cannot stop the BoP.
    PM2DD It all fell apart on 14th June 1970 in Leon. Ramsey took off Bobby Charlton. Tonight will be no different! Still, I hope we do not qualify this time, because next year the tournament will be a disgrace to football.
    One who butchered his own is only worthy of …
    Your thoughts fade
    • Frith
    • By Frith 22nd Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    • 4,205 Posts
    • 37,770 Thanks
    Frith
    Just a quick update of yesterday:

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Bigger son went to school! And stayed for an extra hour to do some more Resistant Materials project.

3) I think work went OK. Can't remember it so must have been alright.

4) Bigger son went to stay at my sister and brother in law's and is walking in Wales today.

5) Smaller son and I bought goodies from Waitrose.

6) Watched Holby City.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 22nd Mar 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 13,807 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Thinking of those of you in England. Watching CNN who is reporting. Praying for those affected.
    "Until God opens the next door, praise Him in the hallway." Kelly Wahlquist
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 145,977 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Bless you MILA your prayers and thoughtfulness are so much appreciated. I think we've all been long aware that we were on borrowed time and that the luck has been with us (as well as the wonderful thoroughness of the security agencies) but also that terrorism would and has caught up with the British Nation, it's been on the cards and inevitably had to happen at some time. My thoughts and prayers are also with those who have lost their lives and also had their lives changed forever by this evilness.

1) Dentist visit all OK!

2) Just got a fresh rye bloomer loaf for 29p in the Co Op as a reduction.

3) Nice swim this morning, we tried the 'seniors only session', prefer the open one!

4) The scent of Skimmia Japonica which is in bloom now and almost as wonderfully musky as Hawthorn and will also give us masses of gaudy bright red berries in the autumn.

5) Small clusters of leaflets beginning to appear in amidst the swelling buds on lots of trees, spring is happening NOW!!!

• katkin
    • By katkin 22nd Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 7,142 Thanks
    katkin
    My thoughts are with all those impacted by the Westminster attack. It's frightening watching the news as information comes in.

On a lighter note, a few pleasures from my last few days:

It snowed! Unexpected as none of the roads I drove on we're not gritted. However I managed to get to work on one of our islands, ferries were running and the landscape views, hills and mountains were snow capped and very beautiful.

First day at work of our new modern apprentice. A lovely young man who is enthusiastic and a smart cookie. He got thrown in at the deep end with me at public consultations and took it in his stride. I'm privileged to be part of the first steps of his working life.

Coming home late to find hubby had done my share of the day's domestics, including fresh linen on the bed, the laundry and brought me new books from the library he thought id like - including cookery books!

My giesha history book is facinating and I'm learning so much about Japanese history.

My hair played nice and looked super good today! If only it would behave itself like this every day

A lower electric bill quarter woo hoo. Hubby's plan of swapping all the bulbs st home to LED's as the old ones died has worked - we are a fully functioning LED household now.

My wee marmalade cat has been bringing gifts of leaves home for me. A lot nicer than wildlife. He's leaving them on my side of the bed. The big boy has helped me rise earlier these last few days by jumping up and giving me a big head to head bump before I can even switch the alarm off. He thinks the leaf gifts are nonsense, he's more of a blue tit and shrew fan.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 22nd Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 18,264 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Vjsmum: oh dear, to your Dsis and OH..
    Mhags Good luck on whatever work choices you choose.

1 Feeling very tired, pleasure to be home.
    2 New work colleague making sure I took a tea break.
    3 Easy lasagne and veg for tea, but we are very hungry from the diet.
    4 Looking forward to surprising Dh tomorrow, as I am picking up fish and chips on my way back as I will be late as going from work to DF then home via chippy.

5 More work to get out of the way in a mo will be a pleasure to get it done.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

834Posts Today

6,956Users online

Martin's Twitter