Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1851
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 16th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 4,366 Posts
    • 21,044 Thanks
    VickyA
    Good evening everyone

What a day! Again. Goodness, it's all going on. Hormones are raging in my class, which means the whole thing is "interesting"!

Despite those hormones, there are still some pleasures.

1) HM Beef Keema for supper.

2) One of my lunch duty days at school, which means I get a free jacket potato, cheese and salad.

3) Cat cuddles. Love our cat.

4) More stuff thrown out.

5) Bed time. Ah, at last. I think I deserve a good night of sleep!
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • Frith
    • By Frith 16th Mar 17, 11:36 PM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 39,109 Thanks
    Frith
    Not a nice few days thanks to the ex Mr Frith throwing his weight around again, bursting into bigger son's school, sending nasty messages to smaller son and generally being a pain.

Pleasures for today (Thursday, thank goodness!)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) 2 quiet lessons at work today so spent some time stapling a display up.

3) Bigger son ever so slightly better and even chatty tonight for a short time.

4) Smaller son and I went to pick up our new front door! It won't be fitted yet, got to wait for horrible 1970s porch to go and new, more sympathetically styled porch to be built. The Ebay door just about looks in keeping with the Ebay windows bought last year, very solid and Edwardian - £50.

5) Really scraping for a 5th but I am enjoying wearing my new pyjamas, bought to replace those that met a terrible end in the great gastro enteritis outbreak of mid March 2017. :-/

Broken tooth is going to be mended tomorrow so that's something to look forward to - I think!
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 17th Mar 17, 8:27 AM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 31,913 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good evening from a slightly cooler day (25o with a breeze) it makes such a difference, back to being a hot potato tomorrow.

A very unsettled night but OH's Scottish funeral was taking place so I was interacting with people who had been. There was a good turnout and another lovely service. Phoned my niece, both sisters in law and friend.

Went a lovely dog walk with DD1.

Had a lovely lunch too, we shared .

Wrote an email to our oncologist, we have fund raised over $3000 on OHs memory in just one week . We want to donate this to our cancer hospital for research into his particular kind of cancer which is very underfunded.

Got a lovely email back from palliative care ward manager.she will call me next week to arrange for us to go in with our gifts.

This afternoon chatted to Sydney friend and my sister on phone.

DD1 tutors 2 local boys . Their mum sent her a text this afternoons could she just pop outside. The biggest lasagne we have ever seen ...I should get about 16 portions out of it....my job for tonight. I've just jiggled the freezer around to make room. Really kind of her...I just hope it tastes good!

Whilst jiggling I found a left over piece of steak pie and veg so just had that for tea. Finished the last of the strawberry cheesecake.

Ex FB 'friend' messaged me last night to say she didn't know why but we weren't FBF any more and she'd sent me a new request. She said "Really not sure what to say to you. Tuesday 'was a lovely day' - no it wasn't it was bloody awful!!! " so needless to say I shall not be re- friending her . She did offer help and is only a phone call away but no thanks love!
    Even though Tuesday was a sad occasion as it was my husband's funeral it was also one of joy and we celebrated his life and his love and in no way was it awful.

One moves on....just about to phone my nice friend from home who kindly did the catering for me yesterday at church.

All is quiet. Son out a concert, DD1 is doing uni coursework and DD2 is out for dinner..just me and my dog boy at my feet. Birds are singing and getting ready for bed. Our nights are drawing in earlier. As yours are stretching out. I'm loving all the descriptions of new spring flowers and buds. Our leaves are starting to fall.

Have a good Friday x
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 12,150 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. It's Friday and my day off.

2. Quiet early evening yesterday as no one else came home till 8.30. I was productive with tidying etc and I thought I was doing it all at a fairly leisurely pace but got loads done! Amazing what not being interrupted does.

3. DS1 girlfriend is in hospital with an infection and intravenous antibiotics. She improved throughout the day but needs a scan to determine cause of infection. They have discounted a couple of probabilities. She is getting good treatment.
    DS1 had yesterday and today off work as his 'weekend' so was able to be with her.

4. Caught bus to work. I was able to read my book in peace. It also made me focus so I left only a few minutes late.

5. Eating healthily and managing to eat my 10 fruit and veg easily. The portion sizes may have been smaller but a large variety.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 17th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,322 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Mr Blackbeard of P I'm very curious about your mill now is it a working mill or a museum mill? We have a Museum mill nearby, it's a joy to visit.
    Originally posted by katkin
    It's on the Floss. Actually mill is colloquial term for workhouse. I am in engineering design, so not a proper mill. It is a loose term to keep BoP and yous lot amused. But we really did have the rat catcher in the culvert on Monday, just after someone else muted what the place was. Oh the design. FADEC unit for the car badge holder, Messers Royce and Rolls! Ok! I don't work for them, but a consultancy!

Town looms tonight with the big Warster train due as well. More later!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 17-03-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Trouble at t'mill get that nose t'grindstone BoP
    My pops used to work for RR railway engines .
    1. Its Friday, No more work till Monday
    2. Doctor very understanding yesterday when I got a bit sniffly as she thinks vocal problems are permanent after my op .. she is referring me for speech therapy so feeling positive
    3. eating from stores oven fish & chips for dinner last night and stew for lunch today
    4. arranging to use vouchers to go out to lunch on Monday with a friend
    5. nice texts with my sister wishing her happy birthday

Have a nice weekend everyone x
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 17th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 5,025 Thanks
    Cappella
    Pleasures today:
    1. Wrapping little presents for my lovely daughters birthday on Monday. We collect little surprises throughout the year but all have to be be either useful (ring pull can opener) or beautiful (shell from a beach we visited last year) and not just 'more stuff'. She is 40 now but everyone likes presents I think
    2. The birthday cake I baked and iced looks tempting. My cakes often don't so this one is a real pleasure
    3. Smiling at the ginger ninja giving me the evil dog glare, because he thinks it's tea time and I'm not leaping up to feed him.
    4. An interesting book 'Few Eggs and No Oranges" it contains the diaries of a woman called Vera Hodgson, and covers 1940 - 1945. I do love diaries, but always end up frustrated by not knowing what happened to the diarists when the diary ends.
    5. Finding 'No Eggs' in the CS I went to to drop donations into today.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 17th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Mhags, the flowers sound beautiful.

Phew tired puts it mildly from travel and work which is “ok”, I’ve just put my first invoice in, and the bank breathed a sigh of relief it’s not a moment too soon.

I have just food planned for extremely low GI next week, weight is moving even better with work and lack of time to eat.

Looking forward to proper sleep tonight, as I keep waking up at about 4am to make sure I don’t over sleep, very black bags under eyes.

The Chinese food from the one and only fantastic local, we haven’t had it for 3 months, might even freeze the left overs.

Washing loads are all hung around drying and up to date.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Mar 17, 11:30 PM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 39,109 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday!!!)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Rather a quiet day at work.

3) Left work for a while to go to the dentist. Ours has run out of NHS money until April so had to swap from tiny town dentist to massive city dentist. I just needed my wisdom tooth patching (4th time in a year) because I grind the back off it. Well, despite my best brushing efforts this morning, the dentist could see a bit of food trapped in it (it is hollow once the back falls off). He got his little water jet on it but there was an exposed nerve there - SLAP, was the noise of my hand which did a sort of reflex bat away of his arm!! I apologised a lot and he thought I'd have to have an injection before he filled it but I was very brave. It is a lot better than the last mend which stuck up too high so I couldn't get my teeth to "mesh" together properly.

4) Bigger son had a day off as he is just exhausted with the severity of his depression at the moment. All he has done this year each day is feed the hens in the mornings. Got back after work and he had washed up, tidied up, put the washing machine on, fed hens, wheeled the wheelbarrow back from the allotment, cut down the undergrowth at the bottom of the garden and started cleaning bricks for the new porch - and done some homework! He did seem better this evening. School are going to put him on a part time timetable.

5) Bigger son is now out at his friend's house.

6) Smaller son had football practice which he loves.

7) Watched Gogglebox and the Last Leg.

8) In bed now with 1hwb and will listen to the Now Show.

ETA - had chips on the way to football up the lane running parallel to the steam railway and saw a train.
    Last edited by Frith; 18-03-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Mar 17, 1:08 AM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 34,486 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    2 grand slams in the bag one to go bop
    1) first 2 Facebook posts, one from Dundee friend, one from Canada, totally different about the Oxford comma. I love the Oxford comma.
    2) left over lish lentils in creamy sauce with pasta and fresh tomato for lunch
    3) there used to be a nice chap worked with us. When things got tough we'd go share a fisher Donaldson fudge donut. Thrilled to find him in one of my thesis monitoring committees this afternoon. Guess what we did after :P
    4) then he gave me a lift home and I finished my book. Mr piano has gone to Paris for the weekend
    5) then a friend's daughter's 16th birthday ceilidh. Huge fun, 4 dance sets interspersed with tea, cake and disco music. Mr guitar and I danced something to do with left right stamp twice or something like that, and then la Macarena
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 18th Mar 17, 5:55 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 14,363 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * All lighting finally installed. I think the electrician is such a nice guy. Good work and fair prices. Always pleasant.

* My friend is now in L&D awaiting the birth of her baby. I've texted back and forth with her all day. It looks like her babygirl will be born on my eldest daughter's B-day tomorrow. Brings back such wonderful memories.

* Nuked frozen lasagna for dinner. We tried a different brand and it was so much better than our standard go to.

* Quoye has tried to become bossy with her mom. This makes me giggle inside. My dear Olivia has always been the boss where ever she goes. I had to tell her repeatedly that I was the mother, she was not the mother. Now she has a child with her own personality in so many ways. She says it makes it easier because she understands Quoye. Quoye will become a strong woman if that holds true.

* New restaurant is opening soon in our little town. And it is not another Mexican restaurant. Or a chain. This is big news!!!

* DD3 had a first date tonight with a former Army Special Forces guy (10 yrs Middle East) that now works for the government in a different job. He sounds intense to me. I'm wondering how it went. She was looking forward to going to dinner with him as he sounded smart and funny on the phone.
    Who said it was easy. [Coldplay]
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 18th Mar 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 12,150 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Lovely start to the day and spent time gardening and put some woodland seeds under our trees. Hopefully they will grow. It didn't take much time. Also dug over a couple of beds ready for potatoes.

2. Enjoyed sitting with a coffee in the garden in the sun. Relaxing and admiring the view and appreciating how lucky I am to live here.

3. Picked more daffodils that are in a vase with more willow Watkins.

4. Sorted out more stuff and threw rubbish away and put other things where they belong and created more space. I had a huge collection of bottle gift bags so only kept a few. Also found some buttons which will be useful.

5. Took DS2 into town and combined it with buying a curtain pole and found curtains in a sale which ssh should look great in the bedroom.

DS1 phoned his girlfriend is awaiting exploratory surgery today. He spent the day at the hospital with her. When he got home and having a bath he heard a noise and his windows had been broken. He phoned the police and they came. It was teenagers in the park Ares behind his flats with a catapult.
    His neighbours windows were also broken. He is ok but just shaken.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 18th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,322 Thanks
    In the bag ...
    Going to be a ride this one DD ruck on!

5 Bit blowy last night so never got to big Warster train. Stayed inn and watched Danny Kay. Wonder man. BoPsie was tickled. I said tickled!

4 Breakfest we reintroduced the SpagYetti hoops! Served with snorker, best back, mushrooms, grilled star cut toms. Hot buttered toast. Topped with fresh four egg scrambled. Wolfed down with tea.

3 Just done the tikka chicken. Proper food. Now brewing on the side. Lots of chili and fresh ginger inn there this week. Please not, not for the weak ones!

2 Day BoP is watching the rugby, will see the comedy acts thirst, then the main event. Got to bag tooooo!

Bring it on!
    Watching the trail
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 18,851 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    mhags - I'm sorry, I can't help smiling at Haggis devouring lovingly baked biscuits - he's clearly re-translated kummerspeck - grief bacon - to suit himself. Delighted to hear you surrounded by flowers, both chosen & mystery, even as 'normality' restarts for family. Is a firm email to the bank in order? Hurrah for a monster lasagne - even if it requires freezer Tetris.
    LaineyT - happy 18th to your niece - may she learn to navigate the adult world with confidence & grace! (You have introduced her to this site as way of saving money she has, getting the every best from every penny when she spends it & learning that some mistakes are avoidable?) Dog eating compost! Ah, bless! Yahtzee tournaments sound fun. <Eyes birthday-celebrating sons thoughtfully.>
    Capella - we use rationing cookbooks as they were seriously tested and still keep working. While my lads have yet to learn to love Woolton Pie, there are all sorts of fritters they devour like gannets. Dog hair in birds nests & the pleasure of a good book. Much impressed with present rules - may try to implement them!
    VJsmum - daffs - nature's way of reminding you to keep hoping! Your son loses Minstrels to you?! Awe! Rats about tonsilitis though.
    BoP your mill's pop quizzes amaze me & I'd proffer M'sieur Saxe of the saxophone as a Belgian without peer. Planning a Christmas Do already?! How much do you need to save for bail? I'd stay home for Danny Kaye - just glorious!
    Mrs LW - mirrored yachts & magnolia - you have a wonderful sharp eye for the delights around us! Salmon & green veg? <Eyes '5 leaf' soup & contemplates upgrading.> Easter in Berlin admiring the sights? Well done! Aren't phonesnaps amazing?
    katkin - I *love* your descriptions of your cats! Right with you on enjoying the extra light.
    Purple kitten - right with you on staying smart whilst those about you wear trainers - "keep your head, heels & standards high". (Within reason!) May first invoice be promptly paid of many!
    Frith - devoutly hoping tooth is tamed! So unhelpful having ex making waves but awed at new front door awaiting demolition of porch. I appreciate you don't do hugs but deeply approving & supportive handshake at how you are managing with sons.
    DundeeDoll - glad you're back on UK time! Mr Piano is a most remarkable lodger <covets mildly, none of my lads can drive [yet] & their ideas of edible are 'a little distant' to mine - could you coax him to share a few recipies?> Ah the Oxford Comma - I cheer Lynne Truss "There are people who embrace the Oxford comma and those who don't, and I'll just say this: never get between these people when drink has been taken." And how have I lived this long, without hearing of the Fisher Donaldson Fudge Donut? I suspect collusion to prevent impressionable minds being led astray.
    villagelife - I'm a fervent believer in planting bulbs. Little landmines of hope, and you rightly say they improve over the years! Good luck to DS1! Me, I try to encourage bookkeeping at month end with a meal out, or a similar reward as it does help get all the paperwork onto the computer in less vast batches. "Not being interrupted" - makes an amazing difference in how much you can achieve! Hoping DS1's lass is on the mend soon. Yikes idiots with catapults. Glad he's mostly OK.
    VickyA - mothers day cards & paint charts - well done you! Hormones in class - yikes!
    oldtractor - I think Spring maybe here, as it's been warm & is now lashing wet - so things are watered to start growing!
    mcculloch - delighted both Aldi mulling cider for you & the fates delivering good things to review!
    Skint yet again - proper slow cooker stew <I will not covet but go cook, in a minute> Vocal problems? So glad medics taking steps - you need to be able to tell the Department *exactly* what you think of them at your leaving do!
    mila - oh Quoye! I may *plan* a two day box set marathon sometime - right now even snow wouldn't stop work needing doing by the deadline. Hurrah Q has an understanding Ma, & giggling gran!

OS Pleasures recently
    Sons negotiating for my conference biros...

Audited a local museum's books - didn't quite break even but much positive work done.

My lads! One in a Family Guy Star Wars spoof T-shirt & another in a spectacular crocodile onesie with feet and toe claws! Such happy lads! I was even allowed to take a photo for granny, though "not for her fridge door!".

Thank all involved for Google - I was able to dissuade son from taking up squid as a pet using logic alone. He's into Cthulu so further tentacled research may be required.

!Last Leg & Brian Cox - I do love watching a astrophysicist biting back the temptation to bean a neurosurgeon. (Harry Hill's past life disconcerts.)

A snippet of Crufts reminds me I must message my sister (chocolate Labrador owner & has been there.)

Argh! Birthdays & boychicks & hours traipsing around cities with no blithering result other than blisters & bad temper (mine.) Pleasure in telling them to say what or to loose the money...

Figuring my way around a rail strike despite it not bring 6 am - a modest pride that my dear-gods-can-that-*really*-be-the-time wits could cope. Plus a definite pleasure that my boss had agreed to pay all additional expenses.

Glorious Full Moon.

Coaching colleagues through some tech stuff - my 'rough guide to the turf' appears to have helped them settle in & crack on & yet they're grateful! (Indeed, now diverting approaches to manager for much *much* more of the same - fine, but we'll need additional staff and at least two other interested parties input.)

Team mascot is either a superhero or a formula one controller or forward operating position caller down of fire - either way, we have a Playmobil mascot watching over us & that's somehow important in a completely deniable way. We also have biscuits - morale is looking good!

Potted up primroses - three may go [have gone & been appreciated/admired!] to brighten the office we're immured in & (the feebler) three will go to son's windowsill to remind him how to nurture plants before we hand him germination trays & propagators. [Which I really must get on with!]

Misty morning - so figure of postie even in hi-vis, still ghostly after yesterday's beautiful warm spring. (We'll be complaining of the heat soon!)

At the end of a mad week (with more forecast!), it is very good to come here, and enjoy all the goings on vicariously. Especially since I'm still in a dressing gown.

Big hugs to all who need them, all luck with those contemplating &/or taking action relating to Spring - ach health strength love luck hwbs & kneepads to all as need & may you have a brolly & handkerchief as soon as you need them.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 18-03-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 18th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 4,733 Posts
    • 68,189 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Greetings from the eurostar to Paris for the rugby and DSs 18th birthday.

DforV well done on getting sons to have their pictures taken. My DS flatly refuses

Pleasures lately

Magnolia tree in bloom in the garden
    Warm sunshine
    Usedul if tough supervision
    Caught train 2.5 hours earlier than i feared
    Coffee with friend
    House clean and tidy
    On my way to Paris
    DS liked his pressies
    Walked by the sea
    Pretty much better

Have a great weekend all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • allie23
    • By allie23 18th Mar 17, 2:03 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 13,604 Thanks
    allie23
    OS pleasures today have been:
    1. Listening to the sound of the rain.
    2. Laughing with friends
    3. Sitting in front of the fire reading a book.
    4. HM spaghetti Bolognese for dinner.
    5. Realising that there are buds on the trees and that the daffodils are almost out.
    Save £12k in 2017 - Challenger 11 - £14,920/£24,000
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 18th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,322 Thanks
    VJs Mum. Don't forget that late Feb 1984 I left my jacket in Paris! Can you pay hotel bill as well please!
    Watching the trail
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 18th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 My seed trays on the windowsill are sprouting which is always a nice feeling. Also, our weeping cherry blossom tree, it’s wonderful and has just bloomed with bright cherry blossom. The geraniums are giving more and more vivid pink colour and my animal proof pots that contain “autumn” lidl bulbs are sprouting!!!

2 We didn’t want to go out but also didn’t have a choice, as I need to look after df. So, we went to a nearby town, got him some cash, and some various bits and bobs. I was shocked to see the pound shop has truly gone now. The fruit and veg stall was very forthcoming for our diet. Picked up a couple of packs of bulbs begonias and something that looks colourful.

3 Stopped off and had some teas, also had some grilled chicken and salad, it was nice not to have to make it.

4 Stopped in at Lidl on the way home seeded rolls for us and various offers for DF and our animals.

5 So nice to be home with a cuppa and animals.

6 Chinese leftover will be a bit later.
    • Lumanous
    • By Lumanous 18th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Lumanous
    Hello please excuse the ignorant question but what is 'OS' in the title of this thread? I tried to search on the older thread but I couldn't see, I know I am late to the party but I use os for some different acronyms which are clearly not relevant so I was curious!

What is an os pleasure...?

No, my username is not a typo
    • gran3
    • By gran3 18th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    gran3
    Old Style.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,258Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin