Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1849
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 13,921 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Belated but heartfelt congrats to PK on three job offers and to Frith on completing NVQ
    As always, I am in awe of your stoicism Mhags x
    Some pleasures for the weekend,

Youngest nieces 18th birthday so out for a family meal, food was just ok but much joy in celebrating with her, DB would have been very proud.

Warm, sunny weather on Saturday so spent most of the day in the garden, pleasure in seeing so much growth and working without a coat on.

My old dog has arthritis in her hips and is often sore but warm weather helps, heart lifting to see her lying on the grass, belly up, scratching her back.

Bacon butties and the Archers omnibus, do love my Sunday mornings.

Finishing the first book in my R Hobb trilogy and the pleasure of knowing that still had two more to read.

Poetry please, in-between days, perfect for a lazy sunday evening.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 13th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 4,223 Thanks
    Cappella
    Another Robin Hobb fan here LaineyT Still not sure about the Soldiers Son trilogy though?

Yesterday's Pleasures
    1. A full week firmly back on the cardio diet and a small weight loss - every little helps!
    2. Picked a full carrier bag of purple sprouting and another of late leeks on the allotment yesterday. Worth all the effort ��
    3. Our first picking of unforced rhubarb with skyr yoghurt and walnuts for breakfast.
    4. Trialled another wartime recipe for a fish dish from one of my late mums cookery books, it was MUCH nicer than I'd thought it would be.
    5. Reading poetry and drinking hot spiced black tea. Perfect end to a rather fraught week.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 65,192 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Five things that have made me smile already this morning

1. a hillside full of daffodils
    2. the Dovey estuary as the train trundled alongside
    3. Boaty McBoatface having its first voyage
    4. the guard saying "Iechyd da"
    5. some calves play fighting in a field.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 24,999 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    And now for this ...
    5 Slow weekend inn the parish. Was out yesterday, with camera, testing so hopefully update later tomorrow. Went to get BoPsie’s phone updated and got a new one myself! There. Easy to get mine working, but hers was on accessible mode, so had electronic Steve Hawkins telling me what to do. He did not argue with BoP and soon BoPsie was up and running. She managed to get the Brentford Gravedigger’s songs onto the thing as well. Clever is BoPsie!
    4 Tea last evening, inn new pots, was proper food. Smoked haddock, non Icelandic , kedgeree. BoPsie got some fresh parsley yesterday and scissor chopped it into the pan. Was done with fresh tiger prawns as well. Eau de faucet with concentrate of lemon was also wolfed down. Enuff left over for tonight.
    3 Back at mill and I said that the rats were running riot. Guess what. Rat catcher is actually here today, checking the culvert outside! You did not expect that.
    2 Nite BoP is getting ready for the beach again in his tutu!
    At Mill we have just had that question. Name two famous Belgiums, and Plastic Bertrand and Hercule Pariot don’t count! Some one else has that fantastic ditty ‘Ca plane pour moi!’. Not only do you get proper food notes from BoP, but now, Proper Music as well!
    Once again, I did not …
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 11,274 Posts
    • 142,301 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) This wonderful spring day, I've been longing for some sunshine and warmth for weeks and today has delivered, in fact I walked Cookie in the sun without a coat and was still warmer than I liked in a jumper!

2) Trees covered in blossom, mimosa and even a magnolia which overnight has covered itself with open flowers, beautiful!

3) Walking round the village and having people to say hello to, people to stop and chat to and people with dogs to pet, it's very pleasant.

4) The river bathed in sunshine with a bright blue sky above and no wind which means that all the moored yachts had a perfect reflection in the water, it looked like a painting.

5) He Who Knows has managed to get all the lawns cut, the smell of freshly cut grass is one of the biggest pleasures of all!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 65,192 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I believe today (Tuesday in Australia) is the day of Mr Mhags' funeral. Sending love and light to the Mhags's over the ocean, may your day be filled with fond memories, love, laughter and yes, there will be tears.

Thinking of you.
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 13,921 Thanks
    LaineyT
    [QUOTE=Cappella;72243108]Another Robin Hobb fan here LaineyT Still not sure about the Soldiers Son trilogy though?

Just started book 2 of the liveship trilogy and am absolutely entranced, have done all the Fitz, Fool and Farseer ones and have my eye on the rain wild chronicles next
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 11,083 Thanks
    villagelife
    Mhags family love to you all.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 11,274 Posts
    • 142,301 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Mhags love, not lost, just gone ahead xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • bagpuss38
    • By bagpuss38 13th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    bagpuss38
    Lots of love to mhags and children xxx

Sundays pleasures

1. Breakfast in bed!
    2. An enjoyable afternoon with some friends who popped round for
    lunch
    3. Finally finished assignment, can now relax till end of April
    4. Enjoyed a good book
    5. Mmm this one I'll save for another day.
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11
    Very BNPL - £353.00
    • katkin
    • By katkin 13th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 6,995 Thanks
    katkin
    Thinking of you mhags X

I'm struggling to come up with 5, so thought best not to count and just be grateful for what I get.

Blessed with a wonderful family, who are there for me and so very supportive.

The joy of work and the purpose it gives me.

I really enjoy sticking a pinky finger into a jar of peanut butter, then licking!

Spring is pushing through here too, slowly but surely. Daffs and crocuses the odd peep of maybe bluebells under the trees.

Proud of my wee marmalade cat at the vet for his annual check up and jags. He behaved wonderfully, was welcoming to the vet and walked straight back into his carrier after his examination. Unlike my big (read massive 8kg wildlife assasin) cat who has a danger warning on his medical records! Though he's putty in my hands..

Amazed by the ability of my very humble human's ability being to bounce back.

Take care everyone. Mhags
    Last edited by katkin; 13-03-2017 at 8:05 PM.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 13th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 17,924 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Thinking of you Mhags, may you smile at the memories.

1 I have had a wonderful day, I spent a large portion of it in the garden enjoying playing with the animals they got very over excited but a lovely time was had in the sun.

2 Making the most of just enjoying time, as I start Wednesday and I need to get used to much earlier starts than I have ever had before.

3 Build your own chicken wraps tonight, with brown rice and salad.

4 A bright turquoise blue neon nail polish, loving it, I do like a splash of colour.

5 Several animal loads through the washing, we try to keep up, after the sun went in I hoovered the house up and tidied up.

6 I learnt today that I can go in casual to work, trainers etc acceptable, but I find it hard to do so I think I will stay smart for a week.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 36,805 Thanks
    Frith
    Best wishes, MHags and I hope the day went smoothly for all.

Pleasure for today (Monday).

1) A day off work because I thought I had better wait at least 24 hours from being ill. :-/ Bigger son had a day off because he was also ill into today.

2) My new Ebay shoes arrived! I was never allowed patent leather shoes growing up but I now have my first pair. :-D

3) Went to see the hens, 1 rat in the trap and we fed them plenty of scraps and some corn on the cobs. Barbara looking particularly resplendent - her feathers are so glossy they have purply low lights gleaming through.

4) I went for a walk and did some geocaching in the wood locally.

5) Popped to see my school friend.

6) Smaller son is watching the Man Utd match with my brother.

7) Bigger son and I have been watching television in front of the stove, especially my (surname) namesake on University Challenge!

8) Looking forward to Just a Minute.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 13th Mar 17, 10:46 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 14,963 Thanks
    oldtractor
    thinking of mhags and her children
    Trying for 10 a day
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 33,576 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Thoughts with you mhags
    1) walked to work
    2) left over chicken pasta arrived in tea room as I was finishing lunch. Washed and filled Tupperware, popped in fridge. Tomorrow's lunch sorted
    3) supper at mum's. Salmon nom nom
    4) dd1 came too
    5) soak in bath. And now in bed with the archers
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 14th Mar 17, 2:24 AM
    • 4,458 Posts
    • 42,382 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Thinking of you Mhags, DS, DD1 and DD2 plus Haggis.

Will write more tomorrow as my brain just informed me it is shutting down, worn out by a mammoth post elsewhere...
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Mar 17, 6:41 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 11,083 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Thankful for support at work. I work in two locations and enjoy Monday and Tuesday more. The other location did there best to make my day hideous in the morning until a blunt email from me then didn't hear another word!!

2. DS2 cooking tea. He cooked sausage rolls which were good.

3. Traffic good on the way home. It seemed like school holidays it was quiet.

4. More daffodils out in the garden. It is well worth the effort of planting them especially as they tend to look better in subsequent years.

5. Long chat with DS1 on the phone.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 24,999 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    This one is for the …
    I think there is some down under today. As one passes, another begins.
    5 Millwright, the rat infested one, see yesterdays ditty!, has bagged the hay for the next load of work. Job is a good one!
    3 On the job today, the new phone, with discounts and bits, and now with 6 months free Sport of BT, has bin pinging like a good one. BoPsie was on the streets and again relying on non-public transport. Two buses failed to turn up. I said to her get on your bike! Well, there is BoP expecting that BoPsie would ease her way with a snorker sarnie at local spoon of grease, but no. My BoPsie is not like that and got home! Money saved!
    2 Last night we wolfed off the last of the non Icelandic Kedgeree. It was superb. Recipe available on request. Details below on how to live like BoP!
    We return to where we started.
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 65,192 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Evening all - I am wrestling with a conference paper template so thought i'd procrastinate

Pleasures since yesterday morning:

1. Lunch with friend, yummy Arabian eggs - kind of posh egg on toast with a kick - in a posh coffee shop in birmigham
    2. Got DS's birthday pressie, 18 on Saturday - he is having a holiday at some point, but wants a few bits and pieces for his guitar too.
    3. walking in warm sunshine
    4. avo on sourdough toast with bacon for tea yesterday as there was just me here. Sausage and cauli cheese today
    5. Cleaned the kitchen
    6. sent my latest scrawls to my supervisors, gave up shuffling words around and thought i'd leave it till i've had feedback
    7. My case study organisation said yes i could use them
    8. watched Broadchurch last night and waiting for the Replacement tonight
    9. having fun with DS - i got quite a lot of Minstrels out of it.
    10. had a bath watching the last Call the Midwife - they certainly threw everything at that

The non-pleasure is that i think my sore throat / tonsilitis / whatever has come back for a 3rd time.....
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 14th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 4,353 Posts
    • 20,895 Thanks
    VickyA
    Oh, I'm so sorry to be late mhags. I hope that you, the children and Haggis are all ok.

VJsmum - your DS shares a birthday with me! Happy birthday to my birthday twin - albeit 20 years apart...

Pleasures for the week so far:

1) Reading my book. I'm making a concerted effort to read for at least 20 minutes each night.

2) Using up food from the freezer. Makes me feel a little virtuous!

3) Mothers' Day card bought. I'm organised, for once!

4) Payout from TopCashback. A happy day when that happens and it gets set to one side in my "subscriptions" pot.

5) Paint charts! We need to freshen up the house, if we stand half a chance of selling it at some point.
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

500Posts Today

4,703Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin