Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1848
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Mar 17, 11:45 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 37,727 Thanks
    Frith
    Updated pleasures for today:

1) Finished my NVQ! The longest, most tedious piece of work I have ever done. I could have finished an MA in the time it has taken me.

2) Played a bit of football with smaller son.

3) Quick and tasty tea.

4) Took smaller son to football. One of my colleagues was there so had a chat with her.

5) Bigger son was happier for a while tonight, showing me his "treasures" from his box.

6) Watched the Last Leg.

7) In bed now and will listen to the Now Show.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Mar 17, 6:19 AM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 17,629 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Frith sorry to hear no news from job application. Could you contact them and ask for feedback - might help to find out how many applications they had / any ways to improve your CV

MHags you still astound me being able to function with such dignity (((Hugs))) to you all

PK Congrats on the new job
    1. That Friday feeling
    2 DS away for weekend and plans made for girls coming round. Stocked up on nibbles pizzas and garlic bread aldee under £4
    3 cup of tea and ...
    4 Jaffa cakes
    5 stew in my slow cooker
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 11-03-2017 at 6:22 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 11th Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    Cappella
    Mhags - the new washing machine is a treasure indeed, and I really am enjoying it. Think of you with yours when I press the 'on' button :-)

PUrple Kitten congratulations! Time to celebrate

Pleasures.
    1. A real letter from an old friend.
    2. A wedding invitation with the letter.
    3. A neighbours marmalade kitten playing with the blind cord on her windowsill this morning.
    4. Clean washing!!
    5. A new to me poet, Simon Armitage. Loving his work.
    Last edited by Cappella; 12-03-2017 at 8:44 AM.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 33,958 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Good news pk
    Hugs as always to mhags (though as an Englander in scottieland I think we'll be on opposite sides at twickers)
    1) decorator has almost finished hallway. Looking lovely
    2) nice cheese and marmite sarnie for lunch
    3) visit to physio. Improvement slow but still improving. Next visit not for another 2.5 weeks
    4) back on the bus. Got top deck front seat.
    5) meal with work colleagues after work in the transformed building we used to work in. Makes a lovely hotel
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 11th Mar 17, 9:11 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 11,569 Thanks
    villagelife
    Congratulations PK
    Mhags many years ago in DH former job he used to bring flowers home that had been used for visits by the Queen which were beautiful for about 36 hours and then were over. It sounds like your flowers were in their prime which isn't what you want when delivered to you.

Frith hope you hear soon with good news about your job application and well done on completing your NVQ.

1. Had a good holiday and the last day was really warm and sunny which was lovely.

2. Met friends yesterday for a meal and much fun was had. These friends are so easy to be with.

3. Tidied the house. It wasn't too bad DS2 had kept it reasonably tidy. Still had to do some washing up.

4. Some washing done and dried on the line and it has been ironed.

5. Spent time in the garden. Dug over a couple of veg beds - hindered by the chickens. Dug up a couple of clumps of nettles and found some scales, various bits of metal and concrete with some glass thrown in for good measure. At least another bit of the garden has been cleared.

6. Seeing the daffodils out, some picked and in a vase, and the willow hedge has green leaves. It's lovely time of the year seeing the garden coming to life and the bird song this year seems to be louder.

7. DS2 seeing a hedgehog in the garden. At least one has survived the winter.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 25,964 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Of course I do, and you?
    Mr Blackbeard of P do you actually work at a mill? If so what kind of mill? Lace, flour, rat?
    Originally posted by katkin
    Oh yes. I wish it was Lace, but is a rat infested place! Oh, please keep off the peanut butter.
    5 Inn town last evening. Curried up, with BoPsie. Then home. Too much ale of wobble.

4 Snorkers are just under the grill. Best back ready. Toms, star cut grilled toms, mushrooms. Poached egg on hot buttered toast. Great start to Saturday.

3 Doing yard this morning. Won't take long! Buds are coming up.

2 Night BoPsie will be wanting her six fingered freaks to win. My money is on Arsenal. Been with them since Charlie George in 71.

Back to the grindstone at the mill!

Edit
    To ease the pain should Lincoln win, I have placed a £1 on them. If they win I will be wobbly!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 11-03-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Mar 17, 6:52 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 11,569 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Met a friend for coffee. Had a good chat and saw another friend whom I hadn't seen in a long time.

2. Washing dried on the line again.

3. DH saw MIL without me. I must see her soon but I do try and ring her but she doesn't answer the phone.

4. Enjoyed watching the rugby.

5. Finished my book.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 12th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 17,629 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Pleasures for Saturday

1. awake early but didn't need to get up for work
    2. got lots of cleaning done
    3. got towels washed and out on the line for a couple of hours
    4. friends came round for the evening
    5. no hangover !
    Did have a few glasses of home-made wine gifted from another friend and slept like a log till 5am. Then managed to get back to sleep for a few more hours - almost unheard of but much needed
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Mar 17, 9:58 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 30,869 Thanks
    mhagster
    Bedtime. Just had some very kind words sent to me by a friend from home. Just what I needed before I go to sleep. It's been a hard at times day. I'd asked OH to write me a life manual , he didn't ...he referred to it 2 days before he passed away...as a joke. Today I needed that blooming manual!

So for pleasanter things.

Up early and didn't phone anybody...nice to talk but sometimes just as nice to be quiet.

Iced teeny tiny empire biscuits at very early o'clock, before the sun came up. Another day of much heat.

Had to get ink for printer ( seriously $90 for the cheaper version! ) luggage type tags for our memory tree. We will ask our guests on Tuesday to write their names and a message if they want and I will hang them on some branchy things...it looks good in my head! Bought a nice journal to start bullet journalling again .

Grass cut, car washed, garden swept ...though will be full of leaves in morning again.

Much time spent with dog boy.

Cooked for the first time in weeks. Made spag Bol which was nice and lentil soup for lunch tomorrow .

Have a good Sunday. X
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Mar 17, 10:55 AM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 66,452 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Mhags, you are doing so well but don't forget that it is ok to crash too

Pleasures for the last couple of days

1. Spending time with OH in ICT. Long time since we've been here alone together
    2. Yummy food, Welsh lamb, pancakes with PEANUT BUTTER ( to BoP), out last night and had hake on a puy lentil stew, just had Begg with avo
    3. Good walk yesterday, another 7 miles of coast path ticked off. Due to various injuries and ailments it was all we were up to, rather than the 17 mile route we'd planned. This one was from Penrhydeudraeth to Harlech. Finished up in a pub as ever.
    4 also went to the pub after eating out last night. Such a nice community of people here. Little bit blurry today
    5. Raining this morning so we are taking it easy. Hopefully do a beach walk later, OH is leaving at 3.30. I am staying until tomorrow morning.

Have a fab Sunday.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 716 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    1. Had a bad sleep, but surprisingly don't feel too bad today.

2. I'm about to have a long hot bath.

3. Making veggie pizza for lunch.

4. I did the laundry yesterday so I don't have much housework to do.

5. I bought a good new book to read in bed tonight with cups of tea.

"It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 10,456 Posts
    • 145,783 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Raising virtual cup of tea to Mhags and family for just 'being' let alone achieving all you do in the course of these first few difficult weeks, you are inspirational M'dears!

1) Coffee out this morning at the garden centre, always nice.

2) 2 x regatta fleeces for £16!!! + 1 for He Who Knows also for £16.

3) Buds on all the trees and shrubs visibly swelling and in some cases actually beginning to show green also a magnolia across the road in a front garden is actually unfurling flower buds.

4) Took all my plus size clothes to the clothing bank.

5) Zebra is now a very happy boy because his daddy is home, he missed daddy lots!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • C J
    • By C J 12th Mar 17, 4:19 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 4,810 Thanks
    C J
    1) Managed a few hours' sleep last night so I am not so shattered today. I discovered for the first time that I could turn over and snuggle down on my left side for about an hour before it started to really hurt, so I had a short spell of blissful comfort before having to return to lying awake on my back. Every day sees a tiny improvement, for which I am very grateful.

2) Lovely breakfast of bacon and scrambled eggs (the eggs straight from my happy hens this morning). It's a joy to be able to eat again, as for several weeks post surgery I was permanently nauseous and unable to keep very much down. It was very debilitating, and I'm glad that chapter is over.

3) Mister CJ has been an absolute star throughout all this trauma. He's looked after the hens, our puppy, and our two cats (he secretly hates cats, and only allows them as he can't help but indulge me). He's kept the house beautifully clean and tidy while I've been in hospital, even though housework and cooking are not his forte. I am very, very lucky :-)

4) Unexpected bonus of all my health tribulations is that I have lost weight and dropped two dress sizes! Every cloud etc etc. I had planned on trying to lose a few pounds this spring, so this has been done for me (though as a diet regime, I don't really recommend it!)

5) Looking forward to the family all coming for dinner tonight, including my brand new grandson, now 10 days old. I'm a granny!! Unbelievable, as I am still only 25 in my head :-)
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 12th Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 18,264 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Firth: I hope you hear soon, hopefully they are just running behind on time.
    Mrs LW: wow to your No4, I look forward to doing the same one day.
    Mhags, you are inspirational, I hope you were able to "be" today.

Thank you for the kind comments re the new role. I found out by the end of Friday I got all the jobs I interviewed for during the week and ended up with 3 offers. But it leaves me feeling incredibly wobbly as I don’t know if I have chosen the right one. Nice position to be in eh. Nerves are very much catching up on me now as I am writing to say thank you but no thank you to other things. Scarey – very.

1 We travelled to visit the in-laws yesterday it was nice to get out in the spring sunshine and see all the flowers on the way, it’s a fair journey over to theirs, but always nice to catch up with them. And lovely when they start talking of memories, and to boot we were very well fed and watered, and treated to a desert of a chocolate glitter bomb!

2 I planted some seeds into trays today, drastically prompted by the in laws yesterday, she is very green fingered and everything was growing on windowsills, I however realised I have planted all the bulbs out and forgotten to sow any seeds to start on – big whoops so thought I would get a few planted.

3 Clean bedding on, old bedding in the wash, and refreshed the animal bedding.

4 I was going to make a fun meal today but it turned into a healthy option as I am enjoying losing weight and we pigged out yesterday.

5 I know it sounds a bit soppy, but I have enjoyed the time spent with DH and the animals and will miss it, but we need to top the funds up.
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 12th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    VickyA
    Congratulations on the new job, PK.

mhags - continuing love to you and the family. xx

Frith - congratulations on passing your NVQ!

A variety of pleasures for the past few days:

1) A visit to Twickenham on Saturday with the whole family - brother, parents, DH and a friend who is a member of my "Tigers Family" As DH lived in Scotland for 7 years, he has a vague love of the Scottish rugby team. That love died yesterday!

2) Lunch out with the in-laws. FIL started his chemo and radiotherapy last Monday, so it was good to see him. Oh, and they paid.

3) One of the TAs in my class brought me flowers on Friday. She said that she really appreciated the hard work that I put in to every child in the class and I didn't deserve the rubbish that some children were throwing at me! Exhausting.

4) Big shop done. Found a few more things in Aldi to supplement my Tesco shop - like British sugar. I'm very cross that Tesco have stopped selling British sugar.

5) School work completed.

Bye all.
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • Miss_Penelope
    • By Miss_Penelope 12th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Miss_Penelope
    Had a lovely day today.

1. Lovely morning so took DS and DD and OH to park. Took flask of coffee, sandwiches, fruit and left over birthday cake from DD birthday party yesterday. Lots of exercise and fresh air.

2. Washing on washing line.

3. DS and DD playing lovely together ( they don't always) and painting some water colours that DD got for her birthday.

4. Cheap dinner as used up what we had in ( which is not very much as using up freezer and store cupboard) fish cakes, chips peas and sweet corn.

5. Star gazing with kids, looking at the beautiful, bright, full moon before bedtime at 7. p.m

Good night all
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 33,958 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Long hot bath is always the start of my weekend Wednesday
    1) church. First time for a while due to bad leg and travels. Lovely to be back
    2) bank bar 2 meals for £10.99 excellent. I had chilli (very tame after Sri Lankan food but yummy)
    3) b&q to get next stuff for decorator. He'd found some stabiliser at home so could return stabiliser I'd bought. £13 off today's stuff
    4) even song bishop installing friend as canon. Have to say I don't really understand all this cathedral chapter stuff, but couldn't happen to a nicer guy
    5) pizza with gbf (who also knows new canon so came to service), mr piano and mr student, mr piano's treat. Nom nom
    Now listening to the archers. What else? Love to all xxx
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Mar 17, 11:08 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 37,727 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for yesterday:

1) Vicious tummy bug was shortlived :-/

2) Wisdom tooth that snapped off on Friday is pain free. Had to cancel dentist's appointment yesterday due to 1)

3) Smaller son went to the football with his friends and the local team won 3-0.

4) Bigger son went out with his friends.

5) Slept all day!

Today

1) Much better.

2) Builder V came round to give quotations for the new porch, re-plastering between the beams in the kitchen ceiling and repointing of the front of the house. Obviously these will be separate quotes and done as and when I can afford them. I've been looking forward to pulling the porch down for nearly 18 years! (I always do the easy bits to save money).

3) Did all the jobs that built up while I was in bed yesterday.

4) Made macaroni cheese for tea with cauliflower, ham and leeks.

5) Did the ironing.

6) Watched Top Gear and Casualty.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Mar 17, 7:08 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 11,569 Thanks
    villagelife
    Mhags you are doing wonderfully well and some days will be much harder than others but you have the love and support of others so make use of offers of help.

1. Wallpaper brought in the sale and a pattern that we both agreed on.

2. Met two friends while shopping for I f2f in a fairly deserted town.

3. Had made beef stew early in the day and left it cooking in the slow cooker so when it came to eat it was quickly prepared. This is the time on a Sunday when we often buy a takeaway.

4. Spent time in the garden - planting seeds, digging beds and severely pruning a hedge.

5. Relaxed in the evening. After dinner and watched the jump.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 13th Mar 17, 7:13 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    I Love comps
    My Pleasures for yesterday;

1. Managed a lie in

2. Went to a garden centre for lunch and a nice browse round

3. Saw my daughter

4. Watched 'The Voice'

5. Had a nice message from a friend.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,823Posts Today

6,438Users online

Martin's Twitter