Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 8:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 8:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 8:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1847
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 41,193 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Small collection:
    1. The joy of my new mattress - and a washable cover that will be easier to fit as the mattress is much thinner. Swinging swollen end of day legs in to bed much easier.

2. Cycling on my shopping trip - it was windy and this was a pain heading in to town , but it was not raining. For once.

3. Strapping my walker relatively easily to the trike so I can walk round shops that pose a challenge. Poundworld being one.
    I did biff bollards and one of those road safety barrier chicane things with the overhang of the walker off the luggage box of the trike. Walker is robust enough to have shrugged it off.
    Different route next time!

4. Poundworld bargains.... I look for brands chiefly and try to ignore the usual pound store things.

5. (Said in Very Small Voice) However I may have succumbed to yet more microwave cookware and a Minions mug. In my defence the cookware was exactly what I needed , a largeish soup-casserole- whatever bowl with handle and vented lid. It is bright fuschia pink and I mean bright, but who cares, for a quid?
    I have no defence for the Minions mug, except, well, ...... Minions ...

Last edited by mcculloch29; 09-03-2017 at 2:50 PM.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 9th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 14,905 Thanks
    oldtractor
    1. gorgeous sunny spring day
    2. back from the supermarket cupboards and freezer are full
    3. eating a Chelsea bun
    4. coffee with the bun
    5. taking the dog a walk and looking at the plants in peoples gardens.
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 16,816 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    PK - well done to you both on the weight loss - hope DH is feeling better now he has meds

Frith - any news on the job?

1 beautiful sunrise
    2 its lighter in the mornings
    3 birds are singing when I get in my car at 6am
    4 cheap lunch out -no cooking and no washing up
    5 heating off, washing still outside
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    2. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 24,632 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I'll raise you ...
    & and her spooky men. I raise you The Tiger Lilies. No link or I'll get banned! Just search for it.

And Fur Elise, makes my fur ruffle.

5 As BoPsie earns money as well, yesterday Raffles was in a right furl. Right monk on. Sat on table as no one home. I gave him his treat and he is back to normal.

4 At mill. Just going through the type of hay bags we are going to be getting. Jobs a good one.

3 Just had boiled egg salad watching cricket.

2 Yard looking good. The buds are showing on the tree of cherry here as well. New rhubarb, no take this year, is looking good. More on crumble next year.

Don't forget that tomorrow, BoP is on the Big Warster Train.
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 9th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 29,872 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good morning it's Friday...noisy bin lorry woke me up.

Thursday started with :
    a quick call to one SIL

Quick catch up at local cafe with good friend , very early , which actually suited me. Had an unusual for me peppermint tea. She brought a box of her special biscuits she made.

Tidied up front porch , removed dead plants and planted some new autumn pansies. Cleaned outside of front room window ( having done inside day before) ...I must say what a dramatic difference...they must have been filthy before! De cobwebbed yet again...a never ending battle of wills!

Went to see my OH, got some photos developed from our early anniversary party, we had been given a lovely photo frame as a gift. Quick lunch with DD1 and leftovers brought home. DS ate mine and DD1 had hers for tea.

Quick nip into supermarket...first in weeks and weeks , I'd been doing online shopping . Only bought fruit and veg and milk ...and a RTC cheesecake may have been purchased.

Home....36o so languished in heat. Got as far as emptying the box of stuff that came from OH's car that had been sitting on breakfast bar ( aka dumping ground for past week....enough!) then I just languished. With the occasional moan and groan about how hot it was....more of the same for the next week! It's autumn! Cool down a bit please!

Had to make a call after having sent 2 emails regarding a policy that had a death benefit for OH. Emailed last Thursday, re-emailed Tuesday. Then have to call? Oh yes it was all being dealt with but an acknowledgment email after the first would have been nice. This will cover funeral expenses...I don't think I should have to be chasing it up! Anyway...resolved!

My gardener comes today...have asked him to cut the nature strips out front which take ages as we are on such a big corner. I will get the back done over the weekend. I will use him as long as I can afford to!

Right, today is another day ( another day of heat!) so shall be busy in the morning whilst it's a bit cooler. Back to undertakers to check photos and music are in sync with their system. DD2 comes back from camp later...think she's struggled, if her texts are anything to go by.
    • Miss_Penelope
    • By Miss_Penelope 9th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Miss_Penelope
    Here goes for Thursday

1. Made the sponge for DD birthday cake which is too big. Cut it down to smaller size and used some for after dinner, had vanilla sponge and home made custard. Very nice it was too.

2. Froze remaining off cuts of sponge to use for sponge fingers in a trifle at a later date. (3 puddings in one) this fills me with joy!

3. DS swam his first length. It has been painful to get to this stage but he finally got there. Very proud mum.

4. Got extra hours at work today. Not great that I had to work but extra money will be put into my savings!

5. DD has discovered peanut butter and loves it, which is a good thing because I have two jars of it in the cupboard and only me that likes it.

Have a good evening.
    • bagpuss38
    • By bagpuss38 9th Mar 17, 10:48 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 3,387 Thanks
    bagpuss38
    Wah lost long post. ��

Thank you for you pleasures, night all x
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11
    Very BNPL - £353.00
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Mar 17, 5:03 AM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 24,632 Thanks
    It gets worse ...
    Pancakes, peanut butter! Gosh. no No No No No No No No No. Avoid. How many times have I mentioned proper foods and you lot go nuts!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Ms Penelope. Peanut butter. Non no no no no no no no. Don't come round here saying that.

No pleasures today, taxman DD taken. Argggggh. Accountant getting sacked in the morning. Taxman took too much VAT.

On that, have a nice day!
    No one dreams of escape
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Mar 17, 7:34 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 13,366 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Some pleasure for the last few days,

Sunny afternoon for the internment of DM's ashes, listened to the blackbird song which she would have loved.

Time spent with family, tea, cake and memories.

More sunshine, my dogs lying in patches of it and snoozing.

Eldest hollow-legged SS won a cup with his Uni footie team, proud proud.

The little Owl, we hear it most evenings now when we take the girls for last walk.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 36,495 Thanks
    Frith
    What a silly week here. In very brief, no word from Super Job (annoyingly, a quarter of the job I used to do for 10 years so I thought I might at least get an interview). Bigger son continues to go completely off the rails. Smaller son upset and angry about that. Tired, no money and, for FOURTH TIME, half my back tooth snapped off today. Phoned dentist and they have used all their NHS funding until April. Not sure what to do until then as snapped off edge is razor sharp.

Some pleasures for this week!

1) Hens continue to operate sensibly.

2) Gave my colleague half a dozen eggs today as she has helped me with my coursework.

3) I will finish whole of NVQ by the end of the day!

4) 2 parents of other children going down the same route as bigger son have contacted me and I know 1 (2?) have contacted school, not sure if they've also phoned police...

5) Smaller son has chosen his GCSEs but still hasn't dared take the form in, in case he changes his mind.

6) My friend has got him some chef's whites.

7) House surprisingly clean and tidy.

8) Good builder who re-did the bathroom has texted about quoting for a new porch...

9) Football practice tonight for smaller son.

10) Local football match for him to watch tomorrow (£1 for a child!)

That's about it for now.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 11,111 Posts
    • 140,725 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Family, particularly Grandsons whose smiles light up the day.

2) Getting Zebra up this morning, I heard him singing and when I went into his bedroom he was cuddling a toy duck who apparently was sad and crying so he sang it the 'ABC' song to make it happy again.

3) Many pleasures during their stay this week, the Zoo, taking Zebra swimming, feeding the Koi carp at the garden centre and giving Zebra his first bus ride yesterday afternoon which he loved.

4) Free wood, Cookie dogs pub are having trees taken down in the garden and have a couple of very large and heave garden tables to dispose of all of which will fill up the cradles in the log pile very nicely for next winter, we never turn down wood!

5) Getting back to routine, having enjoyed family time so very much getting back to 'our' lives is pleasant too.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 10th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 3,993 Thanks
    Cappella
    Today's pleasures.

1. The new washing machine was delivered and plumbed in by nine o'clock this morning and it works! I hate replacing white goods as things often go pear shaped but all credit here to the Currys delivery lads who were so helpful and friendly
    2. The washing pile is no more
    3. There was funding in the 'white goods account' to pay easily, if not happily, for the new washing machine.
    4. The ginger ninja has a new squeaky toy and sings to it with his tail wagging, it makes me chuckle.
    5. MrC has just brought a huge bag full of purple sprouting broccoli from the allotment. It's my favourite veg.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 41,193 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Not sure what to do until then as snapped off edge is razor sharp.

Some pleasures for this week!

1) Hens continue to operate sensibly.
    Originally posted by Frith
    Do you have a dental hospital in driveable distance? It may constitute an emergency if it endangers your oral health.
    ... and b, I have to ask...

What do the hens do when they operate recklessly?

I have energy today.
    With the drain on my body from constant arthritis pain over the last few years I had literally forgotten what this was like. Usually I operate whilst feeling just ok, or not ok but having to carry on.

I have no idea where the energy came from, but I intend to repeat what I did, in case it was any of those things. This includes taking some vitamin supplements I was sent to review.

So, lots of little triumphs. These are 1 to whenever...

Discarded rubbish in flowerbed picked up and binned.
    Bit of weeding done on patio.
    Items awaiting rehoming stored to MY liking following DD tidyup and a vital storage / move items around plastic tub freed up for my use.
    Recycling recycled.
    Bag in outhouse full of Dr Cs car bits emptied. Blue badge parking disc in pristine condition discovered.
    Parking disc in use, in handbag, is worn and near unreadable.
    Above bag used by Dr C is now in use for storage and transportation of recycling.
    Reduced membership of professional organisation applied for.
    Work invoice sent off.

OH YES GET IN! THEY HAVE JUST ANNOUNCED ON THE NEWS THAT JACK MONROE WON THEIR CASE AGAINST KATIE HOPKINS! £24 000 COMPENSATION! HAPPY DAYS.

(Selfish note.... I hope this means the cookbook of Jack's I crowdfunded reaches me sometime soon. )
    Last edited by mcculloch29; 10-03-2017 at 2:48 PM.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 10th Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 4,036 Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    • A walk along the beach before work.
    • Finding some firewood and plant pots being given away free outside a house.
    • Buying some fruit from the old fashioned greengrocer's in the village.
    • Going to choir practice at the parish church.
    • A glass of homemade wine (rosehip).
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 10th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 17,759 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1-501 I have accepted a new contract, I start next week - very happy. It’s nice to be able to make plans again. but no money for a while yet. I am going to have to budget to weekly pay.

2 I re food planned and made it a bit fun as well, well that is if the home cooking works out. Today also felt like a milestone as I chucked on a top and trousers that fit far better.

3 I walked up to the hospital for the usual thyroid blood test, nice that it’s over.

4 Spent some time in the front garden tidying and trimming up so crocuses could grow through, tidied all up to the point of 2 very full big bin bags, and ran a broom around the front doorway where things gather, just a little love has made it look a lot better. And splashes of colour where the primulas are growing in vivid pink.

5 Number 1 is starting to sink in.probably just as well as I was enjoying myself far to much feeling semi retired..

6 The washing is all up to date.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 24,632 Thanks
    Well cone PK. I hope you get on with your new millwright, and make hay while the sun is out!
    No one dreams of escape
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 29,872 Thanks
    mhagster
    PK great news!

It's Saturday morning, it's early and I need to get up and do some baking whilst there's the tiniest hint of coolness around....though I don't think you would consider 18o as cool, compared to mid 30's later it is!

Friday came and went reasonable well.

Nice chat with friends from home. Then a brief one with my sister later in day.

Gardener came and edged lawns, strimmed lawns and mowed lawns. We have to maintain the nature strips ( grass verges) outside our properties. We unfortunately have a double strip that goes all the way round the perimeter and we are on a large corner plot. Just one less thing for me to do and I will do back grass today.

DD1 and I walked over to funeral directors to test photos and music on their system and then had an impromptu visit with OH. It's a bit surreal but a bit comforting too. The FD was all well you're here anyway! Okay!

Walked back the long way and got an ice lolly to cool down.

Celebrant came and we went over her speech. A few minor corrections along the way. She is lovely.

Phoned the florist I received flowers from ( not my local one) on just Tuesday from DD2's school. They were stunning when we got them but by Thursday they were wilting and dying and turning brown. I was going to complain, then thought I had better things to do and then thought no, complain as school would have paid a lot of money and would want to know that we were happy.
    Well...you would think I was making up tales , she had trouble understanding my accent ( I'm quite well spoken not broad...but it happens ) she did not seem to understand what I was saying.....no, I did not come in to your shop and buy them....they were delivered to me! ( for the 4th time) , I sent photos ....she called back....did I know how to look after flowers? Very indignantly, I told her I buy fresh flowers every week ( have since I was 17) and yes I know how to look after flowers. And all the many other displays I have received are still alive! Anyway....10 minutes later agreed to send me flowers today ( Saturday) thank you! I'm glad my flower shop ladies are pleasant!

DD2 came back from camp and DS went away camping...one in, one out! With piles of washing dumped on laundry floor! But my super dooper new washing machine shall sort it all out. Capella enjoy yours!

Right , I'm off to say good morning to my dog and then get started in the kitchen?
    • katkin
    • By katkin 10th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,646 Thanks
    katkin
    Mhagster I'm west coast Scottish so quite a "wedgie" accent but have never had any problems with anyone understanding me and I've been too a few far flung lands. Most love the Scottish accent. Dubious florist! I'm glad you got it sorted though, I'm sure the school would have been horrified to have found out their flowers weren't great.

Mr Blackbeard of P do you actually work at a mill? If so what kind of mill? Lace, flour, rat?

Half a day working from home again, busy times as Friday is my day off. A pleasure getting things done though.

Great sleep and only woke once last night

My cats are far too excited about the family of blue tits who are living with us under the eaves. I can't quite work out how many there are but I've seen adults and at least 3 babies.

Car managed to obtain her MOT second time around, the repairs were not as finically painful as I'd expected. So Rhonda the Honda CR-V lives again...for another year

Planned out and part booked our first glamping trip next month. Cattery booked, site booked, car working, equipment check started. Can't wait - a beach, bonfire and bottle of wine in our gorgeous tent set up makes me so happy. Weather, who cares about weather...

Found a lovely Indonesian satay recipe (pesky peanut butter bites again haha!), marinade and sauce made up to enjoy tomorrow for a night in with hubby and netflix after a day trip out on the motorbike

Be well everyone x
    Last edited by katkin; 10-03-2017 at 6:29 PM.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 64,464 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hello, I am watching the rugby, in Wales so supporting the Welsh, who are currently ahead. Next weekend we are going to see them in Paris for DS 18th birthday

Congratulation PK

Pleasures for last two days

1 daffs galore, lambs in the field and the beginnings of blossom on the trees. Spring is springing
    2 sausages and cauli cheese for tea last night, lamb and leftover cauli cheese tonight. Oops, seems s bit harsh having lamb after celebrating them being in the fields
    3 getting on with my chapter
    4 walks by the sea
    5 OH has arrived
    6 taking my last antibiotic for chest infection and tonsillitis. However I seem to be suffering with a pulled muscle in my chest now

Walking another section of coast path tomorrow. Not the bit we were going to do (Mach to Borth, Frith) as its too long with too much climbing as some of us are not 100%. Instead we are going north of Harlech for 7 or 8 miles
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 24,632 Thanks
    Mhags. Quick read your post. I am so bloody pleased reading that. I have a tear. Not jenny. A bloody tear.

It is so heartening that those around you have so much to remember. So much to go forward.

Bless you. And you want this.

One from Jenny.

Men don't cry, really?
    No one dreams of escape
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

1,584Users online

Martin's Twitter