Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1777
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Oct 16, 11:49 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 34,351 Thanks
    What a day! Here are my pleasures:

1) Not a bad sleep and a bit of a lie in.

2) Did 5 hours of so of canvassing. Hopefully, the pleasure will be the money at the end. You'd be amazed how many elderly men don't wear trousers between the hours of 11am and 5pm. :-O Sometimes they don't wear a top but it seems to be mainly a lack of trouser...

One man called me (well, not me in particular but anyone working for the council) a name that rhymes with oil tanker. He didn't want his form, apparently. I went to the next house, posted the form, walked away from house. A terrible noise, like someone inside kicked the front door really hard. Then a tearing, growling noise as a dog made mincemeat of the form I had just posted!

3) Had a cup of tea in Sainsburys to break up the day.

4) Went to see the hens.

5) Watched Casualty.

6) Scampi and chips from the van.

7) Brother popped in on his way home from playing snooker.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 16th Oct 16, 5:43 AM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 12,092 Thanks
    Not a great day today.

* Long nap and it helped.

* DH grilled steak.

* DS2 and DD2 washed and detailed my car. It looks G R E A T !!!!!
    They also went to the show and came home laughing about the movie. They had a good time.

That's all I can think of at this point.
    Oct $137/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 9,839 Thanks
    1. Had lunch with friend(ex colleague) lovely public and really great to catch up with her. She had an awful time at work and i was really worried about her. Now she's moved away and working elsewhere - the other side of the country she looks fantastic and is happy. Doing well at work and living the life she wants.

2. Had chat with neighbour while planting bulbs. I have so many left to do but the amount is going down. It doesn't help that tree roots get in the way.

3. The rain - I love the smell in the garden in the rain.

4. Spent time tidying the greenhouse while it rained. Looks so much better now.

5. DS2 played rugby and won and no injuries. DH watched him.

6. DH went to see MIL by himself. She had lost a bag in hospital. Someone had taken it home by mistake and returned it.
    MIL seemed to be ok. Still not sure whether she will go home.

7. Good evening watching a film with DH and DS2 with a glass of wine.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 5,631 Posts
    • 13,968 Thanks
    The weekend is getting a bit out of hand, so having hugely appreciated the posts I have to post this last week's pleasures & hurtle off again a bit.

That Friday feeling! Plus extra coffee (as I ran out milk) so the morning meditation became a bit wired. Still, reversed car into parking space with no visible damage.

One tree nearly invisible against an old brick wall - startling Autumn camouflage!

One of the happiest men I know is the homeless guy. Always smiling, cheerful, a kind word for everyone. Days he's not there are days we remember it's an unsafe unhealthy life, but face to face he's unfailingly positive.

The note on a geyser in the kitchen "Not Working". Need to know at its most eloquently laconic.

Tailor busy & rightly so - mature gentleman wearing jeans, clearly in sore need of a sartorial guiding hand. (Pot, meet kettle...)

I am to prepare a ten minute live show on any topic, to demonstrate my potential as an instructor. Currently thinking that I can deliver 10 minutes from the heart on several topics, but what could I deliver straight faced?

Having a go at roasting veggies to make soup - we've been away with godfather all weekend, thoroughly spoiled & thus I am inspired to try Real Cooking. Sheesh butternut does not want to be cut. Well, not with the kitchen knife I chose. Still, have all fingers where they should be & interesting noises from oven. [And after 4 days on sub 800 calories, I'm feeling a load more chipper than I thought.]

Weeding, feeding & laying bark chippings down around the young trees, I was aware of being watched. Not by the under gardener with the bone meal but by a squirrel, perched on a neighbour's shed. I was less interesting than the young goats in the next field & quieter than the horse kicking some wood work but the squirrel left me to it & went off following other imperatives. The dry leaves rustle so enchantingly, after all.

New Tesco Bag For Life patterns, including Victoria Sponge & Spag Bol! The art style may be a matter of taste but the joie de vivre & relative appropriateness for certain souls has me beaming.

Mild unpleasure, I spend some of the weekend wrestling with overlong knitting needles & produced another woollen beanie. Today, in the autumn chill, I rummage my bag & appear to have left the thing somewhere sensible.

Son is running in & organising a Race for Life &, asked if he's been training, "sure, it's only a mile" as he shoves a chocolate digestive in.... He'll be marshalling dressed as a pink fairy. [I have just ordered vivid pink face & body paint for him, at his instruction. I now hope for photos...]

Every bench I see is packed with migratory construction workers, soaking up sunlight! Like vivid migrant birds, they flock & wheel in patterns that intrigue & baffle me.

I spotted Macsweens' haggis for sale & lunged. My family realised they were different! (Blimey.) Two more are concealed in the freezer - if I can get more, then it can be haggis for Boxing Day *and* Burns Night.

The Sandi Toksvig trailer for the new QI! "I'm shorter & more Danish" (I heard) "I'm shorter & more dangerous" (himself heard) - either way, we're hooked!

Cinnamon tea. Specially warming when the day is cold.

Young T, Scout of this parish & 6' smart if barely 4' tall is recovering from C Diff along with 2 other infections. His father was delighted to share the good news, & I turn look forward to passing said news around scouts as young T has been missed.

Great big hugs & tender thoughts to taste (pile 'em high, jump in heaps, wrap yourself in them - I've Loads), hurrah for such yellow stuff (please stick at it Raffles!) and enjoy such predictables as a Supermoon, Clock Change & Christmas as it's the little things that throw you.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 16-10-2016 at 9:06 AM.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 3,826 Posts
    • 22,663 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    The way it is, and number 3 will shock you.
    There is no hesitation, let's get going.

5 Just had morning brunch of snorkers, best back, poached egg on hot buttered marmite toast, with grilled star cut toms. Toms and mushrooms. All good proper healthy food none of that carp filled muesl stuffed full of added sugars. Tea proper loose leaf was served up. Lovely. Just now sat watching cricket black cats. With more proper tea and a couple of decent tarts, jam versions. Tum is being rubbed.

4 Just got the shop inn. Again I had to get BoPsie bits, like shower wash of fragrance!. All inn for £33 this week. See about BoPsie fragrance wash! Think that the gullible have fallen for the marketing from emporium T, shelf was cleared of marmite. How thoughtful people are give a cash injection to the emporiums in time to get the nonsense inn for xmas. W8rs was out! Non cooking mummy in front had got her ready roast. Pre cocked mash, and micro veggies as well! £139. And twelve bottles of water! Mind you, BoP is on Ready meal today! Second of last weeks pie of cottage! And a new, last for the season, spotted !!!!. Hand rubbed all butter! Lumpy custard will also be served up!

3 There, told you would gulp on your sip of tea as the digestive breaks inn half in the cup!

2 Day the cake of xmas and pud of Noel fruits are sipping on pure whisky, in readiness for the season. House of BoP smells like a brewery! Tidings of glad have started.

It will be such a shame to see the ...
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 16-10-2016 at 5:15 PM.
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 10,438 Posts
    • 134,089 Thanks
    1) Making (and eating) a Victoria sponge and filling it with home made home grown raspberry jam.

2) Nice walk with Cookie after lunch, He Who Knows felt OK so came too.

3) Beautiful rainbow right over the village after a heavy shower this afternoon.

4) A walk along the river frontage where the tide was exceptionally high due to the full moon, lapping up and leaving a wrack of seaweed in the pub car park.

5) Dramatic sky, more showers to come but many more than 50 shades or grey in the clouds, beautiful!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • katkin
    • By katkin 16th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    1) Family visiting for 4 nights.
    2) Family leaving after 4 nights
    3) Losing 1lb in the weight loss challenge this week and sticking to "less" while the family visits!
    4) Autumn leaf litter to kick about and pick over with my nephews
    5) Visit to the Glasgow Science Centre and enjoying it like a child

Oh, and squirrels, we've been spotting lots from the house collecting food to stash over winter. Adorable.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 16th Oct 16, 11:00 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 34,351 Thanks
    Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) Not a bad sleep, though had to get up early. Woke up and listened to the torrential rain for a while.

2) Went with my brother to Warwickshire where he is doing an environmental survey every day for a month or so. The drive is starting to bore him now, so I drove.

3) Stopped to look at a few places on the way home including the youth hostel at Alveston where I stayed with sons a couple of years back. Showed brother and we had a cup of hot chocolate in the YH caf!.

4) Went into Stratford and looked round the charity shops.

5) Had lunch at mum and dad's.

6) Went to Sainsburys.

7) Watched TV in front of the stove.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th Oct 16, 7:07 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 9,839 Thanks
    1. DH fixed a paving stone that moved when you walked on it., lagged sometimes that needed it and fixed the gate as well as repainting it. Lots of jobs done which he had been putting off.

2. I planted more bulbs and tidied the patio area and it looks better.

3. Ate leftovers and nobody complained even though it wasn't a proper meal in any sense and we all had slight variations.

4. Went shopping with DS2 to buy him some clothes for work which he starts today. It was a speedy day but a worthwhile trip as I managed to buy 2 pairs of shoes. I have wide feet with a high instep so hate shoe shopping as very few shoes fit.

5. Chat with DS1 - he had spent a weekend in London with his girlfriend and saw Aladdin and enjoyed himself.
    Last edited by villagelife; 18-10-2016 at 6:35 AM.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 17th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 28,485 Thanks
    Hello Monday evening here. Will soon be bedtime. Will be glad to head to bed.

Woke at ridiculously early o'clock but managed to get back to sleep .

Nice chat with friend from home.

Went for a swim with DD1.

Bought a few things for Christmas. I'm just doing stockings for kids this time as we did our main event in August.

Nice chat with my sister this evening / her morning as she was on a day off.

Easy tea of pies from freezer, mashed potatoes and veggies.

Yesterday was very windy, bought plants using laundry money and planted them up, the heavy rain overnight meant they were well soaked in.

Work was abysmal , almost walked out twice! Didn't. Anyway, done for another week.

Have a good start to a new week.
    Last edited by mhagster; 17-10-2016 at 10:44 AM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 10,438 Posts
    • 134,089 Thanks
    1) The warm sun on my back as I walked Cookie by the river this afternoon.

2) A solitary bee on the only still flowering sprig of lavender on the plant.

3)Meeting a new lurcher as we walked, beautiful girl called Belle, rescued but still very wary of strangers though very warm towards cockerpoos!

4) Next doors cat Gismo coming to meet me as I walked up our drive, she's a friendly tiny cat and is very disposed to be nice!

5) Another slice of Victoria sponge.....well......well.....mmmmmmmm
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Oct 16, 3:20 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 15,204 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    1. Been MIA in hospital called in for op with 2 days notice on day 1 of my week off work ! Can however save my leave for another time
    2. car was fixed 2 days before surgery and no cost as covered by warranty
    3. nursing and caring staff
    4. glad to be home
    5. home cooking by DP's who happened to be visiting for a week so all worked out well in the end

2 weeks off work now to recover
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    2. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 34,351 Thanks
    Pleasures for today (Monday):

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Took last tablet so there will now follow 10 days (before 24 hour monitoring) of very fast heartbeats, headaches, teeth grinding, faintiness and general exhaustion. Pleasure is that they work so well and it won't be long before I'm back on them!

3) Survived another day at work though it wasn't great.

4) Tried to get plenty of stuff done while I feel well. Cleaned the bathroom, all washing and washing up done.

5) Went to the chickens - three eggs! (Fanfare). Barbara hasn't laid an egg in weeks so good to know she is back up to full strength. I did some digging and they "helped" by standing in a row watching then eating worms and occasionally standing on the spade!

6) Brother phoned.

7) In bed already with 1hwb and might watch the Sue Townsend programme. When I was at high school, there was a proper official waiting list in the library to borrow the Adrian Mole books!
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 18th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 21,861 Thanks
    Better sleep yesterday daytime than the rest of the week.

This is my last shift for a few days.

Made some raspberry liqueur.

Got recipies ready for making coffee and chocolate liqueur.

Seeing Asbo-cat roll around on the floor where the pipes are when the heating is on.

Cat putting a bit of weight on it seems (got some H and B cat nutrition gel that seems quite good so far).

Washing already done (usually would do it morning of end of shifts), and a fresh bed to get into in the morning ...i so love a fresh bed....

SOooooo looking forward to 7.30 am....
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early..
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 18th Oct 16, 12:45 AM
    • 7,946 Posts
    • 29,073 Thanks
    Past midnight now, nearing 0100h! - and a fleeting fly-past this will be.
    Main life atm completely overlaid by all as recently described.
    Bail address is desperate and current urgency, complicated by unusual circs.

Pleasures are therefore lifted up, up and away from Planet Zoggery.

1. ... of which was tonight's big moon racing-rising as fast as the clouds scudding across it. Dramatic film reels:-)

2. Made self take time out to finish this one - at 4 bells yesterday - but what writing!:

3. Trumpy carboot Sunday - dear M, knowing little of what is happening, but divining more than something, insisted on handsome £purple, to tfr to payment service which allows x contact to Oz family. Absolutely insistent and & equally. stubbornly being awkward+ NO!-y, but finally accepted for family's sake. Big rain then came and all present were soaked, inc. &.

4. 2 absolute bomb-blast downpours crashed onto church roof during service, some miles later. We all jumped! 'Hang on in there' came up 3 times during a marvellous sermon - exactly the words dear Blowers has inscribed on mini cricket bat for x:-)

5. They're all bedded down for the night now, the sultanas and cherries and almonds[2 states of] and peel and zests[lemon and orange] and squeezed orange juice and cranberries and porto'd date pieces and walnuts and Jim Beam. They're all going to be bezzies by tomorrow night, when the rest of everything goes in [yes bop, black treacle natürlich!].
    2 cakes in utero.
    Un-numbered, because this one's quickly become a helpmeet, a constant, a pleasurable anticipation - when I turn to my phone, 1 tap, and up comes beloved Uncle's smiling face, with all my memories of that day, 26 May, and years preceding and weeks following, right to 26 August, when I spoke to him in convalescent home, 24 days before Goodbye.
    I draw real strength from this in all my many-fronted efforts for x right now.
    Last edited by ampersand; 19-10-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• villagelife
    • By villagelife 18th Oct 16, 6:46 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 9,839 Thanks
    1. DS2 enjoyed his first day at work. He then went to watch football with friends at a pub. None of them liked the pub though.

2. DH starting the wallpapering in spare room.

3. Made an Eve's pudding with apples from the garden..

4. Reading my book and relaxed.

5. Seeing the leaves on the trees changing colour on the way to work. One area looks really good at the moment.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 18th Oct 16, 7:17 AM
    • 3,826 Posts
    • 22,663 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    It's ok folks, my toes are warm near the radiator. Just BoPinn inn on iPad.

to the needy and, you guessed it, the weeedeee!

5 Got paint in for upper rooms.

4 Walls in room one ready.

3 Could gloss today!

2 Or tomorrow!

On your way now, nothing more here!
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 31,724 Thanks
    speedy recovery skint
    1) harvest festival at old church on Sunday. took mr piano who was leapt upon by vicar (they have no organist at the mo). Didn't know mr p could play the organ as well. a man of many talents
    2) having ploughed the fields and gathered all safely in with great gusto we went onto vicar's for shared lunch. yum
    3) then dd2 arrived back from edinburgh and she and I went to meet her friend's new baby. soooo sweet
    4) then cathedral friend came round for supper - mr p cooked enough for an army
    5) so yesterday left overs for lunch, and last of left overs for today
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 18th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 28,485 Thanks
    Evening all, been a showery, cool, thundery and Lightning kind of day.

After a dreadful nights sleep ( OH didn't have a great night so nor did I ) so was glad to get up and start the day.

We went up to DD2's school today for a very long assembly , the current year 12s were leaving and the current year 11s who were taking on a position of responsibility were being recognised. DD2 has been made house captain. Very proud of her.

Went out for some lunch to recover from our numb bums!

Fell asleep ! Woke up with the dogs tail wagging against the sofa as DS came in from work....oops!

French toast for tea and chopped up fruit.

Hoping for a more productive day tomorrow!

Have a good day

Skint I forgot to wish you a speedy recovery. At least your parents can keep an eye on you and you still have holidays to look forward to. Take things easy x
    Last edited by mhagster; 18-10-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 18th Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    • 1,595 Posts
    • 16,645 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Skint: Glad you are now recovering.
    A couple for the last few days here
    1. Freezer food planning is working very well here, we went to lidl over the weekend to do the weekly made use of their 29p carrots and parsnip offers, and the rest of the shop came in at £11.04 very happy with using up what we have.
    2. We are a lurgied house hold from last Friday, it hit us both hard, achieving a little bit at a slow pace and sleeping a lot. The roast joint will have to wait a day or 2. It was leftovers yesterday.
    3. Fed the Christmas cake with brandy last night, it will be 100 percent proof by festivities.
    4. The moon looked amazing low behind a tree at the bottom of the garden last night.
    5. The temperature was low enough to test the heating out.
    I'll be back later with todays hopefully.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,690Posts Today

6,222Users online

Martin's Twitter