Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1776
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Oct 16, 7:12 AM
    • 906 Posts
    • 9,970 Thanks
    villagelife
    Over the past couple of days

1. DS1 cooked tea. It was steak and potatoes. I'm not very good at cooking steak.. I probably don't get the pan hot enough for the steak as I don't smoke out the house!!

2. Sorted out my car insurance. DS2 had arranged for mine to start 12 hours late on his multi car policy.

3. Work ok - nicely busy. Managing to stop a couple of small things that affect me and two others only but we had no say and weren't asked about it. It was change for change sake and stopped any flexibility I have. Strange how these things are stopped when it is pointed out it will reduce capacity and therefore income!!

4. Chat with my parents who are ok.

5. DH visited MIL without me. She has been moved to cottage hospital to have any physio treatment so she can walk better.
    She wasn't happy that she had to wait for an ambulance to take her there from dialysis. Not sure yet whether she will make it home.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Oct 16, 7:29 AM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    mhagster
    Today we have had sunshine but we also had a 1o start. So a chilly dog walk first thing but a warmer one this afternoon.

Spent a whole 101 minutes on a call. 61 minutes of it was waiting in a queue ...I cleaned my kitchen cupboard doors, ate my breakfast , took a chance and ran out with the recycling, emptied the dishwasher , filled the dishwasher. Anyway, finally got a human and my queries were dealt with .

Took the train to work, to drop of teatowels and pick up key. Had a lovely chat with one of my regulars ( in the olden days when I worked more often! ) , he's been 'doing ' Cancer same length of time as we have and I'd met him at hospital the other week. Was nice to catch up with him, thankfully he's in remission. I'm happy for him. Had the minutest of chats with other colleague ( no love lost between us) and more of a chat with other colleague. Picked up my laundry cash from last week.

Back in train and then didn't have to pay as was on and off within 2 hours. Popped into library had a flick through a magazine and then an older gentleman started telling me all about his medical history. Obviously I have one of those faces that look like I want to know!

Then I popped in to smelly op shop and actually found 2 lovely lightweight cardigans, a pair of cropped jeans and a pair of cropped chinos. Luckily I had laundry cash!

Home , a baked potato and salad and then a nice dog walk.

DD2 has been made House captain for 2017 . This is a huge event and we are all so pleased for her. Special assembly next week.

Got my surgery date in. Halloween! Have happily booked time off work

Having chicken fajitas for tea. Need to go and chop up veggies.

Have a lovely day
    Last edited by mhagster; 13-10-2016 at 10:31 AM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 10,610 Posts
    • 135,605 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) We went to Salisbury, never been into the City before and never been to the Cathedral but we did today, what a beautiful building.

2) Coffee in the refectory, very nice.

3) Lunch out at a garden centre and buying some terracotta pots for my spring bulbs that will scent the house next year.

4) Feeling much less grumpy today, in fact feeling quite perky today, can only be good for me as well as the rest of the world.

5) Very naughtily bought Zebra a 'Freddo Frog' for when he comes to visit!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 13th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 16,816 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1.The house is topped and tailed and clean bedding all on, mats and rugs still hung out to dry the worst off, I’m glad the weather is lasting.

2. Lovely Cumberland sausages discovered from the freezer last night was tonight’s dinner, with an egg, beans and chips.

3. Looking forward to a bath and face pack pampering tonight.

4. Had a really lovely play with a fuzz tonight much cheaper than therapy, she normally helps me when I change our bedding each week but she slept through it this time and was determined to make up for it.

5. Loosely a pleasure, the car insurance is sorted again, but it has gone up 28 percent very ouchy, even shopping around it was the better option so staying put but had to put it on a payment plan not ideal but just at the moment it’s needed.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 4,148 Posts
    • 34,742 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday, nearly Friday...)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Work went OK. The problem I had last year (reduced me to tears many times) is now happening to 3 other people. I've had a "sideways" move so am not involved now. Last year I thought it was my fault for being rubbish at my job or over emotional!

3) Smaller son found his missing PE kit at school.

4) Tasty tea of macaroni and cauliflower cheese then poached pears and caramel sauce.

5) Bigger son went to his school's sixth form open evening. My brother took him. He is now thinking of doing physics, biology, resistant materials and photography.

6) Smaller son cooked Millies cookies.

7) Got the stove going nicely and we're waiting for Hunted to come on.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • mrs.mcd
    • By mrs.mcd 13th Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    mrs.mcd
    Joining in to post my 5 OS pleasures for the first time

1) walking to work on this crisp, cool morning and feeling like autumn is really here. I love this time of year!

2) tasty green split pea soup from the freezer for lunch.

3) I've been full of the cold the last few days, and got home from work to find hubby had run me a bath ready and waiting, completely on his own initiative! Was a lovely surprise, although I have to admit I was a little suspicious at first and wondered what he wanted it seems he was just being sweet though, and I really enjoyed my bath and treated myself to a small glass of wine.

4) I remembered to take a homemade veggie burger out of the freezer for lunch tomorrow. It's a small pleasure but an important one, as I so often forget to take something out and end up having to buy lunch.

5) made a list of what I want to get done in the house at the weekend (lists are my friend, otherwise I never end up getting things done!)
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 13th Oct 16, 10:58 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 9,120 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    My pleasures for today

1. Good drive back from up north after seeing family.
    2. Hugs from ds2(he is 16).
    3. Fresh brewed coffee - lovely.
    4. Case unpacked
    5. Sleeping in my bed & cup of hot milk.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 32,051 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    mrsmcd organised is key
    1) yummy apple for elevensees. In season fruit is always at its cheapest and always at its tastiest
    2) the geese flying over - I so love the noise
    3) left overs stir fry for lunch
    4) watched last episode of Victoria (thought of you mhags)
    5) mr piano has hinted at something delicious involving anchovies, capers and pasta for tomorrow. Will keep you posted
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Oct 16, 8:43 AM
    • 906 Posts
    • 9,970 Thanks
    villagelife
    Welcome Mrs mcd

1. Took lunch into work.

2. Managed to leave work early. Someone kindly helped out at the end of the day. I had helped everyone out at some point during the day. People helping me has rarely happened in the past.

3. Went to rugby and we won convincingly. It was a good evening - both son's came and we went out for an Indian after. Thursday being the special offer evening.

4. Good journey home.

5. My sore throat hasn't developed into anything worse yet!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 4,362 Posts
    • 61,799 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Waving to Mrs mcd

pleasures for the last few days

1. Autumn colours in the leaves on our big tree. Won't be so keen when we are continually picking up said leaves...
    2. A garden full of dahlias. Love a dahlia, me
    3. Good walks to train, from train and in London
    4. painted my pine sideboard. Looks much better. Not much orange pine left now also an opportunity to 'kondo' it.
    5. out for a mum's curry with the mums from the kids primary school - bear in mind that DD is now 20 and DS is 17 so we are along way out of primary school. The primary PTA group is called FOSLS, so we are now old FOSLS
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    mhagster
    Quickly as its bedtime :

3 nice dog walks. Sun has been shining.
    Far too much washing but all dried in the sun
    Had my second free massage from Palliative Care Team...I let myself relax a bit more ( and shut up!)
    Posted a parcel to my mum. The post office ladies made sure I got the cheapest option.
    OH sold one of his motorbikes.yay says I!

Work tomorrow , boo hiss. Actually got the most recent pay paid today...how novel! On time!

Have a great weekend
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 23,106 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Forget it, what else now!
    oooh love it. Tops and Turve! Jam Roly Poly and Lumpy Custard. Proper Food!
    Now while I'm here. Welcome to McD!

5 Nearly there inn new plaice. More shortly.
    4 Still a few things to sort out. Thirst though and bin a tad busy recently.
    3 And lo and behold it is the weekend!
    2 Nite again the can of paint is ready. You know what that means. A late rise on Saturday.

Please do not wrestle with the pig, because you will be just dragged into the mud. The pig, see he likes to wallow in the mud!
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 14th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 16,816 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Hope those that aren't posting at the mo are ok.

I had to check in at the docs for a review, I am stressed and losing weight thanks to it apparently, not a diet I would recommend. So I have to work on it and check back in, at the moment though I’m just not sure how just yet. Going to start with seeing if I can switch off a bit by getting lost in a book for just a little time tonight? Not convinced just yet.
    2. DH greeted me with a cuppa when I got in.
    3. We went out for a few hours, to the fruit and veg stand in the next town, lots of greenery was purchased for not a lot. And didn’t pick up a lot else this time.
    4. Stopped for a bite to eat in the usual caf! and didn’t need to say a word our order just arrived.
    5. Autumnal colours catching my eye.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Oct 16, 12:17 AM
    • 4,148 Posts
    • 34,742 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday!)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Bigger son had a teacher training day off school and spent most of it on his bike or looking after the hens.

3) Work went OK.

4) Sons went to role playing evening with my brother and brother in law.

5) I took the hours of quiet to tidy the house up. Also tried to get to grips with tomorrow's job - canvassing for the local council. Got about 200 houses to visit with election forms. Hope no one is too rude or has a vicious dog!

6) Enjoyed Gogglebox.

7) In bed now with 1hwb, cup of tea and might watch HIGNFY.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 15th Oct 16, 5:13 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 12,730 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * Bill for laundry room make over was almost half of what I thought it would be and it has turned out so very well! And it's all paid for!

* We were given a lot of food from a Mexican fiesta. Two nights of no cooking. Great food.

* The pleasure of the granddawgs. (I miss my rascal) They are here with DD2 who is off work next week and tremendously happy about being on vacation.

* Round puzzle finished and a new one started. DS2 is gaining in confidence.

* Trip planned with DD2 to Texas. Living large.

Watch out!! Red paint is being splashed in your neck of the woods.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Oct 16, 8:14 AM
    • 906 Posts
    • 9,970 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Started planting some bulbs. Hopefully next year I won't need as many. I'm trying to make an area under some trees look good at least at one time of the year.

2. Potted up some pots with some cyclamen and violas. The violas I grew from seed.

3. Downstairs is clean and tidy.

4. Washing dried on the line and is already ironed and put away.

5. DS2 enjoying himself at black tie awards do of his new job which he starts Monday.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 23,106 Thanks
    Duvet Testing is being carried out at this moment. BoP is unable to give further comment.
    No one dreams of escape
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 15th Oct 16, 9:10 AM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 32,051 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Blooming dawgs woke at 6:30. Turned out mr piano had left the heating on over night. There will be words!
    1) charity shop at hospital had very nice cards £1.50 each. Have bought 2 for upcoming birthdays
    2) also bought very nice bag for one of birthdays in same shop. Then saw recipients fave sweets reduced to 50p and a mindfulness colouring book on offer for £1.99. Added charity book bought a while back and pencils and birthday pressie complete (other is my sister's youngest so that'll be money)
    3) got 2 abstracts written and submitted. One was for 1st Nov other 11th Nov deadline. Turns out is is possible to submit earlier than 5 mins before deadline
    4) lunch was left over Bol yummy
    5) tea was a visit to the local chippy. Mr piano's treat. So anchovy recipe will be for another day. Fish and chips yummy, washed down with fiery ginger beer
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 10,610 Posts
    • 135,605 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) He Who Knows is feeling better today.

2) We went to the 'big' Tesco store to shop yesterday and I got a full weeks 'meal planned' supplies (excluding potatoes, sugar and stork marge which I had already) for under £29 and that's without any YS reductions. I'm amazed at how much I got for so little outlay that will feed us very well this coming week!

3) DD1 had a very successful concert at the school she teaches at last night, phoned me at 10 in the evening when she got home very tired but very fulfilled. She works so hard it's good for her to have that feeling of achievement once in a while.

4) Our lovely builder FINALLY got to us yesterday and fitted the very last small replacement pane of double glazing. Now we can see out of ALL the windows.

5) Due some rain today and tomorrow, it's been such a long time wince we had 'proper' rain to really soak the garden, it will be a real pleasure to see it happening!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 23,106 Thanks
    And then you get goose bumps.
    Heating does not come on under the duvet!

5 Snorkers and Best Back grilled with star cut toms. Toms, mushrooms and hot buttered marmite toast topped with fresh scrambled eggs. Washed with tea. Tum was rubbed.

4 BoPsie did the sticky chicken mix, BoP has done a new treat. BoP southern chicken. Like the fake colonel, but far tastier. Avoid. Mushroom dynamites and Slimey dragon prawns will also be served up. Recipes will be available on request. Tum will be rubbed.

3 BoPsie has stored alll of Mr Hanks flicks on box of ogggggle. Wobbleades are sourced. Night is ...

2 Unfortunately due to time restrictions, BoP had too much paint last eve. Made the big Warster train though. Much merriment was had!

Don't play the second half like you did the first, there is all to play for. Keep clear of the pig though, he just snakes inn the mud!
    No one dreams of escape
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter