Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1775
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 11th Oct 16, 5:27 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 12,728 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * Roast beef, potatoes, carrots and secret seasonings in crock pot since this morning. Tender meat and a delish aroma all day.

* Plumbers came to give estimate for moving water heater. Lots of converging gas pipes will need to be rerouted. This needs to be done if I'm to have my pantry built. OH is already saying it will cost too much. Plumbers were not encouraging about price but I say you only go around once and it's my turn!

* Puzzel half way done. Ds2 is losing interest.

* I drank a Dr. Pepper. First time in years and years and I can honestly report it's still my favorite.

More to come...I need tea!
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 11-10-2016 at 5:38 AM.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Oct 16, 8:10 AM
    • 10,608 Posts
    • 135,600 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Chat to both DDs yesterday evening, we normally get one or the other of them but two in the same evening is a pleasure.

2) Porridge for breakfast with chopped dates in it.

3) Another nice day in the making as far as the weather is concerned.

4) He Who Knows has just offered to take me to the big regional Tesco store on Friday as he needs a couple of things from a nearby outlet.

5) A decent nights sleep last night, perhaps because it's cooler overnight, however I got it I'm grateful.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Oct 16, 10:02 AM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 32,049 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    now if i was thinking of 5 unpleasures it would be...
    1) xoh phoned to ask if i got the wedding anniversary card (29 years). have no idea how to handle when your ex who broke up the marriage does that!!!
    2) put on a pound and half at SW
    3) colleague nabbed me for 95 minutes to have a moan about life the universe and everything. 95 minutes!!!
    4) so stressed at work had rubbish night's sleep
    5) just heard i didn't get the promotion.
    And yet this is the 5 pleasures board so how can i turn each round?
    1) My lovely daughter, produce of the ill-fated marriage, has come home, flying visit, to see best friend who had a wee boy yesterday, so 10th October will now be known as Noah's birthday
    2) Renewed determination to get to target before Christmas (now 11 pounds away)
    3) We have 2 new members of staff starting November
    4) Have made a list of things I must do today - the list is of important but doable things so hoping by end of day to have 9 ticks
    5) Did get 2 points raise in salary in recognition of all my hard work, and have been invited to apply again next year based on feedback.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 11th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 28,737 Thanks
    mhagster
    DDboo hiss to bad things but at least you found some pleasures.

I've had a teary day : last night we watched Victoria ...to be continued in 2017 ... OH won't be here to watch it with me. That made me cry.
    I was writing a reply to my letter writing friend , was saying DD2 has a few more weeks left of this last term then summer holidays and then she will be in her final year and it just struck me who do I share things with when he's not here. ( was thinking about her exam results)
    Then I got an invitation from our palliative care team inviting me to afternoon tea ...to celebrate National Carers Week as I'm classed as a carer. That made me cry . ( however the photo of scones with jam and cream did look inviting! )

In between tears ....I think I was like today's weather ...showers/ dry spells.

I made a lasagne first thing.

Dropped a bag of stuff off at salvos. Had a mooch but didn't buy anything.

Made the start of a steak pie for tomorrow's dinner in slow cooker. We are still eating winter food!

Wrote the letter to friend and posted it.

Cleaned the skanky bathroom of doom. Girls are supposed to keep it reasonably clean . They don't, they are mingers who each insist "it's her turn!" The pleasure being its done rather than the doing.
    Listened to UK radio on my phone.

Had the constant company of my dog boy.

Picked some lavender from one of the many in full bloom bushes in garden. Bushes were full of honey bees. Now in a jam jar on my laundry room window. I love having a laundry room.

Swept up the driveway, so many branches down from the high winds.

Took Haggis a walk after his tea and we were just coming home and he is allowed off his lead at the last corner , son was just putting his bike away in garage and heard him coming . They were both so happy to see each other. Haggis is loved and loves each of us and has a special and different bond with us all. I love the one between him and my son.

Do have a lovely day
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 11th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 61,774 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all,

pleasures for yesterday

1. A day of reading and trying to get back into work mode. It seems Bourdieu just keeps saying the same things over and over - somewhat battering his theory into my head.
    2. coffee with friend
    3. took DS and his mate to Nottingham for a gig. We have friends in Notts so went out for a curry with them.
    4. OH drove so i drank too much wine (twas a pleasure yesterday, today not so much )
    5. Bought tickets to see Elbow in the spring. DS has agreed to be seen in public with me.

Have a good day all
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 23,103 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Just inn. to the needy.

Quick Pleasures

5 Removed evil product from sale in emporium. Ten masks hidden behind shelf. Please, if you see evil in the shop, removing and hiding items stops the spread of evil.

4 Nearly time to earn money. Note this week. Living on coppers! Coppers and hops!

3 Second offering of pie of cottage served up. Tum Rubbed!

2 Night watching Engerland. Oh dear!

Don't buy evil. If you see evil, remove the products. Tell people who have items in their trolley, they are purchasing evil, and spreading evil. #STOPEVIL
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 11-10-2016 at 8:33 PM.
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 11th Oct 16, 10:21 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 16,816 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Some of yesterdays
    1. Up early after a bad night, the asthma always plays up when the seasons change and felt very domesticated, washing load hanging out, washing load on and, finished off Christmas cake making which has made 2 cakes and cupcakes, hmmm turns out I am not very good at baking, but I gave it go

2. When DH was about we ran a few errands so we didnít need to pay for parking. I ran into the post office to post off his sold bay items, paid £58 worth of coin bags into the savings account, and paid in a small cheque, well every little helps, also took some cash out for dad, and dropped 2 boxes of books into the CS.

3. As li&l is on the errand route we picked up the weekly shop and I am chuffed that it came in at £12. No meat but 4 items for the store cupboard, a lot of bread, fresh veg that I have been using to bulk things with and milk

4. I didnít get the job from Friday, and I am not surprised as it was seriously corporate and well Iím not, but I have continued applying, a couple of calls.

For today
    1. Phew, Iíve spent 5 hours straight ploughing about on the web digging up recent job adverts and applying for various things Ė determination not desperation honestly lolÖ

2. A beautiful bright day so the towels are washed and hung out to dry.

3. I mentioned to Dh I was popping to Mr T for their 50p Heinz soup offer as itís Dfís favourite and we are heading over there to visit him tomorrow. I picked up quite a few reductions, a few nice desserts now in the freezer, along with some 55p gammon meals. 45p chicken for the fuzzies and some 25p m&m cookies. We are having the half price bacon joint for dinner. It was nice to pick up some treats with the idea of freezing them for Christmas time, if they make it that far Ė ahem. Must have got it right when the cashier double checked the receipt commenting it didnít seem to be a lot of £ for the quantity.

4. Some tidying achieved, itís much needed and gradually getting there.
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 11th Oct 16, 11:22 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 9,120 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    My pleasures for last couple days

1. Meeting Dd & family aim the lakes and seeing dgs's.
    2. Lovely scenery on drive to meet DD.
    3. Good drive back to dd house where I am staying.
    4. More crochet done.
    5. Watched TV programme on Victorian Slums - grateful that we don't have to live for each meal.
    6. Meeting friend for catch up.
    7. Found lovely navy jacket in CS.
    8. Phonecall to Dh who is at home working.
    9. More lovely autumn weather.
    10. Spending time with ds2.

DFV - spicy lentil soup is my adaption of similar recipes - I will try n post tomorrow.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Oct 16, 11:41 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 32,049 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Mhags huge hugs xxx
    Vjsmum whereas Bordeaux says drink me drink me (but sober October still going strong)
    Bop watching Scotland oh dear oh dear
    1) day improved dramatically, and who knows, just cos I turned each bleh into something good
    2) end of hm spicy lentil soup with pasta for lunch
    3) stir fry for tea, dd2 still home when I got back (but gone now)
    4) Bol in slow cooker for tomorrow's tea
    5) walking past a glorious Virginia coming home. The colour was spectacular
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Oct 16, 6:48 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 12,728 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * Laundry room ceiling got two coats of paint today! Cabinets in there got their first coat. It looks so clean. Loving this process!! (No clue what to do in the kitchen)

* DD2 called and will be coming down tomorrow. She will work here for two days and then spend the weekend. She lights up any room she steps into.

* Enough roast beef etc for dinner. Always a huge plus in my book when DH is willing to eats leftovers. He is not usually too hung ho.

* Looking forward to picking out the counter for the laundry. We go tomorrow to look. Who knew DH had good taste!! But he does. He has been so helpful and supportive. We have never worked well together because we have very different temperaments, so this is a complete pleasure.

* Puzzle continues. DS2 is back on board.

So many posters keep talking about needing to buy hot water bottles. Being from the desert I am not familiar with this phenomenon. I'm assuming they are used someway for warmth but can't picture how. Explanations are most welcome.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 12th Oct 16, 7:37 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    Cappella
    Morning People.

Mhagster - thinking about you all x

Just one huge pleasure to share. We are in France, staying with my sister. Been here for over a week now.
    She moved here 5 months ago to a semi derelict house, and now her partner had injured his back so we are helping her sort stuff out as best we can.
    We are in the Vendee and it is beautiful.
    Normal pleasures will be resumed next week
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 61,774 Thanks
    VJsmum
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_water_bottle

Mila. Fill rubber bottle with very hot (not quite boiling) water. Take to bed. I put mine between thighs, just above the knee....
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 28,737 Thanks
    mhagster
    Capella we spent many, many summer holidays in the Vendee. Beautiful part of France. I love France and really missed it when we moved out here. Enjoy your break and hope your BIL is soon on the mend.

Today has been a better day , less tears from me, just the one main shower! Unlike the weather which has been shockingly heavy showers.

Up early and out and about for a nice dog walk with Haggis.

Apparently the porridge was delicious. I had a nice croissant .

We had an appointment with accountant to do our tax return. Very nice young man, so much easier than stressing trying to do it online and we both have a healthy enough tax rebate. Thank you! He is the way forward. No more stressy sleepless nights! My shower of tears was in his office when I had to say the words 'OH is terminally ill' and asked what we do when the inevitable happens. Anyway, he very kindly explained and said rather jolly-ly but that won't happen for a while....me, well it will...him, well let's look on the bright side...me, we are being realistic. By this time tears and snots all dried up and on to next thing on list!

Attempting to do no sugar again, Mr Kipling has been my downfall as well as the ridiculously low price for a box of snowy French fancies. No more Mhags! I am too greedy and can't stop at just one or two...! So it's an all or nothing. So made salad for my lunch. Yum !

We discovered a new greengrocer/ deli which had excellent prices . Stocked up on fruit and veg and chicken breasts. Not sure if these are just new, low prices to be lured in or constant ones.

We had a very tasty tea of steak pie, roast potatoes , roast parsnips, cauliflower, broccoli and snow peas. Absolutely stuffed.

Trying to time it right between showers to take dog a walk and post an advent parcel. Bought new trainers today so shall try them out. Was going to buy them anyway but ever so glad they had 30% off today! My feet hate new shoes!

Finally got paid ( or underpaid) for week before last. I will just have cash to make up the balance thankyou! Now have to see how long I have to wait for most recent pay!

Do have a lovely Wednesday

Shall just add having just checked the forecast we might need out HWBs as its to go down to 1o tonight, whaaaat?
    Last edited by mhagster; 12-10-2016 at 8:42 AM.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 10,671 Thanks
    LaineyT
    DD on xoh and anniversary card.
    Much love Mhags, it's hard to think about future events and realise but....isn't it x

Some pleasures for last few days,

As always time spent with my DM, yesterday we did some baking together, along with niece and DSIL in preparation for a little tea party for her visiting pals. Simple things but all being stored in memory banks.

Watched and enjoyed last episode of Victoria.

Polished off Girl on a train in a couple of days ahead of going to see the film.

Have decided breakfast is my favourite meal, boiled egg with marmite soldiers, bacon butties, balsamic mushrooms, scrambled egg or any combination thereof, with proper coffee of course.

70 years of Woman's hour, ground breaking stuff back in the day and still enjoyed.

Still holding off harvesting my apple tree as they seem to be hanging on this year, maybe this weekend.

The dogs, curled up together on one bed even though there is one each, fast asleep and glorious in their shiny, winter coats. Precious friends.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 10,608 Posts
    • 135,600 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) My friends both in real life and online who listen when I'm down and cheer me up by being kind!

2) Amazing amounts of hawthorn and pyracantha berries this autumn and masses of bright red rose hips even on the garden roses, very pretty.

3) Walking across Strawberry Field, the open field that is an amenity in the village and watching the boats on the river, it's a lovely site.

4) Cookie, who is always pleased to see both of us when we pick her up and comes bounding down the stairs wagging frantically and licks hands, she's a poppet.

5) Prospect of a day out somewhere tomorrow if the weather is nice enough, just have to decide where we want to go!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 12th Oct 16, 8:51 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 16,816 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    DD: I wonder if there is some sort of medical term for exes that just donít seem to leave. I can think of plenty of other terms too..
    Big hugs Mchags.

1. Iíve enjoyed some great programmes on bbc4 recently one on the WW1 tunnels showing actual footage, one on brain training and itís shocking history.

2. After I got back with the lucky and much needed yellow stickers last night, DH and I saw an Anne Robinson programme where she was looking at parenting techniques. The last chap she was with was a single man with 5 children, saying he uses a food bank each week. DH couldnít understand why when I had just come back with the markdowns and loaded up the freezer. I said imagine you are on your own with 5 children you canít leave alone, and the mark downs are only done at around 7.30pm, ahhhh. Counting our blessings so to speak.

3. Today is animal bedding day 2 loads on part dried and then they are the only things we do tumble dry otherwise the dirt and fur would never come out.

4. Dh and I visited Df, I placed a puree food order for him via quidco, cleaned the house and kept him some company, itís nice how Iíve got older and appreciate his wartime stories, barring the obvious illnesses, it doesnít matter if he thinks Iím his carer I am appreciating the time with him. Sadly I have documented some bits and pieces and I have today phoned the council and put in an official complaint and I will be taking it further after finding out he has been without his 4 times a day meds for 5 days now. Livid doesnít cover it but to turn it around it is a pleasure that I can and will fight his corner for him.

5. Made Dhís favourite when we got back just now of hm shepherd pie we will eat very late tonight, but I saw a programme the other night that inspired me to cook properly again, I find itís ďeasyĒ to slip into some lazy habits.

6. A no spend day for us. Horrah
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 12th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 20,503 Thanks
    VickyA
    Ah, gentle and loving thoughts to mhags xxxx

I spent the weekend with 50 children from school at a PGL residential activity weekend. They had a great time, but I've come back with a stonking cold. Boo hiss!

Pleasures anyway:

1) Bought a Two Together railcard for DH and I. First jaunt out will be to London, saving a cracking amount of money. (one third, to be precise. We'll get the cost of the railcard back after just two separate journeys)

2) Received notification of a small tax return from my friends at HMRC. A lot better back in my pocket than in the pocket of the tax man.

3) Applied for the ballot for tickets for Wimbledon next year. My tax refund won't even buy half a ticket on men's final day, but here's hoping I'm successful. I didn't get any tickets this year.

4) Signed up for a new mortgage deal, which will save us approximately £100 per month. We'll keep our payments the same, so we'll be paying off an extra £1200 per year!

5) Another TopCashback payout!
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 4,147 Posts
    • 34,733 Thanks
    Frith
    A few pleasures for the last couple of days:

1) Bigger son had a nice evening at his friend's house (they had a bonfire) then stopped overnight with MrN's son5.

2) Enjoyed the GBBO this evening.

3) Work has been OK.

4) Bit under the weather today (just colds) so comfy in bed now with a hwb.

5) Smaller son made some cherry fairy cakes.

6) Went to the district council to pick my election paperwork up. And my fluorescent bag. And my hi vis jacket. :-/ Got to go round 150 houses lots of times to make sure they return their voting papers (so they can vote!)

7) Lady at the council made me laugh. I walked to the desk and asked for a member of staff. She phoned her up so she would walk down to reception. Then the lady looked at me and said, "Putting you on hold.... Oh, no I'm not, you're not on the phone to me!!"

8) Went out for a cup of tea with my school friend yesterday.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 12th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 9,120 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    My pleasures for today

1. Lie in this morning as not working.
    2. Toasted fruit loaf for late breakfast.
    3. Time spent with DM.
    4. Tea with ds1 &ds2
    5. Jam roly poly and custard for desert.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th Oct 16, 12:08 AM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 32,049 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) listening to the archers having caught up on all your pleasures (jam Roly poly and hot water bottles - what autumn is made for!)
    2) took insulated mug to main campus with coffee in first and third meeting there was tea and refilled mug at both
    3) took lunch but forgot spoon d'oh. Had to buy a plastic one for 5p then spotted a 5p on the floor :-)
    4) yummy spaghetti bolognase with gbf and mr piano. 1st meeting there were tray bakes left over so took 3, wrapped in flip chart paper, for pudding
    5) then gbf and I went to see rsc Lear at cineworld. Got a discount being uni. Gbf paid for tea at the interval so total spend today £15.60 for my ticket
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,279Posts Today

6,071Users online

Martin's Twitter