Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1774
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 9th Oct 16, 2:34 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 16,805 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    My apologies if this is a bit of a blue pleasures post but there are pleasures.
    Dferret passed away in my arms Friday afternoon.

There were some for Friday morning:

Everything I was selling has sold, a few more pennies to the vet kittie when they pay. Some packing up to do and a few more things to sell. Considering I was going to donate it’s nice to get some pennies for them.

The interview in the city went well, and I applied for a couple of other things on the way back.

Saw some amazing autumn colours from the train as we started to come back into Kent so eye catching.

For Sat:
    I rummaged in the green house for a whole host of crocus bulbs that we will mark our little lads area and laid him to rest in the garden, my heart is hurting and my eyes are red.

Out to post the paid for sold things off, it has been lovely paying for postage online and just dropping it in though, the easy way.

It would have been very easy to hermit today, but we got off our bums from and travelled to visit the in laws, and it was a great decision.

Just got back at er this hour in the morning and taking time to admire the star lit sky, while the animals are running about. While it hurts a lot and my eyes keep watering, it is because he was loved, and it was nice to talk about it to like minded animal lovers in MIL who understand that our animals mean the world to us, they are our family.
    Last edited by Purple kitten; 09-10-2016 at 2:37 AM.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Oh PK am sorry to hear that, yes our animals mean the world to us don't they.
    Am thinking of you &, also your troubled pal.

Some pleasures for the last few days,

Took DM over to her bungalow for appointment which for various reasons was best held there, she hasn't been home for nearly five weeks and it was good to see her sitting in own chair, smiling at the family photos.

Visit from SIL and her fella, caught up on their busy lives, they eat out a lot at expensive restaurants!

DN has work placement at big hospital in Uni-city, she is very excited and hopes it leads to bigger things.

Grass cut and garden furniture stowed away for another year.

The apples are finally turning red on our tree, have been holding off picking as seem to be taking their time.

New series of Last Leg and HIGNFY on catch-up.

Coffee cream liquor over ice, re-acquainting myself with more wintery pleasures
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 9th Oct 16, 9:12 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 28,713 Thanks
    mhagster
    PK hugs and Lainey hugs for you too and your mum.nice she got home.

Today has been a day of very high winds, I think certainly the windiest through day time I've ever known. Wild! But great for drying washing

Poorly people in my house today, OH has spent most of day in bed, chemo fatigue. He probably did too much yesterday. Then DD1 said as she was going out to work, I feel sick...home shortly after having vomited in the bin at work! Said to son stay out her way ...then he vomited -however nowhere as tidy as a bin...all over his bed! ( thank goodness for high winds!) so I've spent a bit of the day running up and down stairs, peering round bedroom doors checking everyone's okay.

Prior to all this I had made a banana bread and a 4 layer chocolate cake with a caramel cream filling. It was rather delicious.

In between attending to the sick I've caught up on UK telly and finished my library book. And enjoyed lots of peace and quiet.

DD2 was at work and home with lots of bread

Yesterday I had work. No miracles had occurred since I was last in. No one has been paid. I think (know) business is not good but I am honestly just biding my time. My colleague who left a few weeks ago popped in to say hello, which was nice. Done for another week.

Nice chat with friend from home.

Have a good day
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 9th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 905 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    villagelife
    PK hugs

1. Started my Christmas cake by soaking the fruit in brandy. I do enjoy this time of year. I will cook it today.

2. Good match at rugby and we won. We only seem capable of winning at home though. All train connections worked out well too.

3. Met a friend for a meal in a local pub with DS2 and his son as well. Caught up with all his news and pleased he is doing ok. The food was excellent and as a microbrewery so was the beer.

When we arrived home we received a phone call from MIL neighbour informing us she had had a fall and they had called an ambulance. DH then had to drive to see her in hospital an hour's drive away. She seemed ok but they are keeping her in until she has been assessed by an OT. DH was then caught in a traffic jam on M25 as there had been an accident.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 23,087 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    If you can get up to this point
    5 Relax. Had the Sticky Chickens, Dynamite Mushrooms, and the Slimey Dragon Prawns last night. and it was hot. Real hankie job. Wobbleades were consumed. Tum was rubbed furiously. Film was Berlin Express. A Film Noir. good. had a dastardly person in it as well.

Just 4 DD, here are the Slimey Dragon Prawns being prepared for use. Other recipes are available on request.

You need
    Fresh Prawns
    Tom Puree
    Chilli Flakes
    Fresh Ginger
    Garem Masala
    Garlic
    Juice of one lime (Slimey!
    Put inn pan and rocket fire them.
    Eat!
    Dynamite Mushrooms are fresh mushrooms, chopped, inn garlic. The dynamite comes from the addition of flakes of chilli! Eat and get a flake, you know about it!

3 Just watching the cricket. Aussie are not doing too well. On the not doing too well score. oh dear, Engerland just scraped enough l;ast eve. Though if I was a jock ...

2 Day BoP has got the shop for £34. Food for Raffles was on offers, so he is happy. Note we are the suckers who feed him! Freezer veg bought as well. Today will be the making of the pies of Cottage, same as last month, with added chill! Last opf the crumble will also be served up with copious amounts of freshly made non foaming instant lumpy custard. Spoons will be licked and tums rubbed!

Did you get back what you wanted?
    Home made pie of Cottage

Note the Toe Nail onions and diced carrots. I could had bought the diced carrots for £1.49, instead I got a months worth for 70 pence!

Added to delicious pan gravy
    Topped and ready for firing in the oven. Topped with cheese, toms and decorative herbs! And one for the freezer!

Now I am often asked about the instant lumpy custard and how you make it!

If you start with lumps, you just get lumps.
    Serious Tum Rubbing shall occur!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 09-10-2016 at 4:33 PM.
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 9th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    • 7,969 Posts
    • 29,265 Thanks
    ampersand
    Post just disappeared, but a caring pm :-) is still there.
    & is living many lives atm and managing.
    bop - 1st week work report unsubmitted as yet? Wobbles will not be aided unless.
    #
    1. vjm's truffle recipe again done, results rolling about in COCOA POWDER VERITABLE [bop, brownie pts please]awaiting shipment to Spain demain....most of them ;-] [Your reward for this deliciousness: the 1-hour Glasto ticket sell-out included YOU ]

2. Rugby ups and rugby downs, club / NZ province /country / teatowels / Toulon 14 - La Rochelle 14! - all good, all restorative shouty catharsis, as Mila and Mr Mila do so well know. Best was gloriously ABs' record win 57-15 over boks - a good one for my Uncle:-)))
    Boy Beauden had forgotten his kicking boots, but it didn't matter. What a team! What a match! Captain Kieran, Captain Fantastic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvka-YBfazo [ watching again as we speak]
    Mr Mila, having learnt your kapa o pango, & knows you joined in, with full reverence and deeply soul-mined, as did & in the Alma.
    [No & children present to be embarrassed in the performance.]

3. Followed by A Great British Spin-Off at Maddermarket. Norwich. Hopped on broom from The Alma to fly 70 miles direct and make it just in time for curtain up. Sold out. Marvellous ambiance. Great times had by all. Generous time chatting afterwards. Dear Henry. Swanny perfect with him and quite the raconteur in his own right. Good, good men, both enjoying each other's company so well too - made for incomparable evening.

4. Still managing to do all laundry by hand. This, too, is cathartic. Very aware at present that most probs are 1st world muckery only. New machine date distances itself with every email.

5. Quickly made, most made it into tin :-) Nearly healthy and super-delish -

Gas Mark 4 -
    Grease 2 baking sheets, or use baking paper.
    #
    Mix well together - 200gms peanut butter [any sort, used odd 17p rtc jar of Whole Earth cashew/ peanut / macadamia] and 175gms golden caster sugar [didn't have golden].
    Add 1 large egg and mix well again.
    #
    Roll into cherry tomato size balls and place on trays, flatten with fork.
    [Have never seen this refinement on size before. Wisely obeyed for once. So should you :-) ]
    Bake for 12 minutes until just golden brown, THEN LEAVE ON TRAYS TO COOL FOR 10 MINUTES, before removing to rack.
    You might get round to putting some in biccie tin.
    #
    Courage and endurance - far and wide tonight.
    Last edited by ampersand; 09-10-2016 at 9:40 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 9th Oct 16, 11:06 PM
    • 2,920 Posts
    • 32,029 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Slimy prawns sound lish bop. I love chilli flakes. Get them £1 bag at tiger and have them in an old canderel jar cos it has a shaker bit.
    1) fab weekend started with Saturday lunchtime piano concert at cathedral from mr piano's friend up from London. Amazing
    2) then lunch at new cafe - yummy burger
    3) in the evening pianist and an organist friend came round. mr piano cooked yummy risotto - our first dinner party
    4) this morning's church followed by eco cathedral meeting. I had taken hm lunch
    5) then coffee with 3 friends, one of whom i'I've not seen for a while (and somehow despite only paying for one coffee i'I've ended up with enough stamps for a free coffee cos no one else was collecting stamps)
    6) then mr piano phoned to say him and piano friend had walked dogs and if I wanted to stay to choral evensong that was fine. So went to uni library to run through tomorrow's teaching
    7) and there was an email from polish friend i'I've not heard from for a while so had huge catch up - can you believe it's 6 weeks since xoh headed south!
    8) then choral evensong - lovely (and stuck to elderflower after - have decided with money saved will twin a toilet for the cathedral)
    9) then walked home and met two other friends I haven't seen for ages (one of them 4 years). GreT to catch up
    10) and mr piano walked down to meet me with the 3 dogs
    11) then cooked me scrummy Italian pasta dish
    12) and showed me funny video he took of him playing Bach and the spaniels bouncing up. Have left him downstairs under 3 dogs on the sofa - saves on central heating
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 4,144 Posts
    • 34,704 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today. May the people who started this "clown" thing get very bad hayfever and forget their tissues. Smaller son still terrified and sleeping in my bed once again...

1) Not a bad sleep. Though I was woken in the middle of the night by smaller son complaining about my loud breathing.

2) Worked on the allotment with bigger son sawing up boughs that were cut in the spring. All chopped and ready for the woodburning stove now.

3) Hens well - 2 eggs.

4) A bit of pokemon hunting.

5) Was texting my friend about geocaches locally. Drove down to the allotment (past a geocache by our village tin church) and there she was, with her family!

6) V tasty tea this evening. Had chicken from yesterday's roast and cooked up with pineapple, courgette off the allotment, pepper and tomatoes in a huge chow mein. Pudding was 2 flavours of HM ice cream and poached pears (done in grape juice).

7) Caught up with the Last Leg.

8) In bed now and about to watch HIGNFY.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 9th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 9,120 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    PK & Lainey & mghaster (((hugs)))

My pleasures for last couple of days.

1. Nice meal out yesterday in Greenwich.
    2. Autumn sunshine - very nice.
    3. Fresh coffee in bed brought upstairs by Dh.
    4. Having DM to stay & managing to be patient when she offers her opinions.
    5. More crochet done.
    6. Journey to north west today was going so well, 30 miles from destination& m6 closed. Engine turned off for an hour. Grateful I wasn't in accident & that I was safe.
    7. Fish & chips for tea.
    8. Saw ds1 & had a good chat.
    9. Arranged to see friends for evening in a couple days time.
    10. Reading everyone's pleasures.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 10th Oct 16, 7:06 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * OH's friend was BBQn ribs and OH came home with a plate for me.

* Big complicated round puzzle on the table. DD2 is learning and we are enjoying the banter while putting it together.

* Fully enjoying Blacklist S2.

* Pondering wall paint for kitchen. No clue but it's fun to begin.

* Misty rain for a few hours this morning. The weather is getting cooler and soon we will fall back.

* I'm loving all the FB pictures of the fall calf branding at my different friend's ranches. They love to show their grandchildren learning to vaccinate and brand. Lots of hats and boots.

* Tomatilla's have gone wild. Salsa is in our future!

* Watched a short video on freezing herbs in olive oil.

PK, thinking of you tonight. Nothing fills the hole when our little sweet ones pass. It's just precious that you held your little baby as that time came. It has brought tears to my eyes. So glad he had such a good mommy.

Note to &: OH has (American) football on day and night. Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are all games on TV. The rest of the time it is reruns of games, commentators talking about games, commentators talking about coaches, players and what other commentators are saying.... He got testy with me over the channel changer again last night. Thank goodness we don't get rugby too!
    ....she says as she goes to the bathroom mirror to see how much hair she has pulled out....
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 10-10-2016 at 7:17 AM.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 10th Oct 16, 7:14 AM
    • 905 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    villagelife
    Pleasures for yesterday.

1. Spent time digging over potato bed in the garden. Helped or hindered by my chickens.
    It was a lovely morning with the sun out.

2. Quick chat with neighbour.

3. DS2 cooked roast lamb for tea. It was lovely. He is an extremely good cook and enjoys it.

4. DS1 came for tea. He came to collect a couple of things. His girlfriend was taking her sister home. We all had an enjoyable evening.

5. An early night reading my book. Much needed after lack of sleep the night before.

MIL is going to a rehabilitation place to see if she can walk with her frame. She needs her confidence back. This has been her problem over the past couple of years.
    She will also be fed properly which will help her recovery.
    She may listen to the hospital.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Oct 16, 7:42 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 28,713 Thanks
    mhagster
    Diinner is almost ready in the poorly house
    Have been surrounded by unwell people all day. Keep your germs to yourself ...I don't have time to do unwell.

Making cottage pie and veg, hoping there's enough potatoes to go round. Made lentil soup earlier which disappeared in a hurry.

I started a list and apart from an extra dog walk everything's been ticked off.

OH was fully intending going to work ...chemo decided otherwise , back to bed. Apparently I woke him up to tell him we were going out for lunch ... I was outside picking flowers in the garden at that point so he must have been dreaming!

DD1 and DS still feeling the effects of gastro bug so they were under my feet

Nice card from my letter writing friend.

Grocery shop. The poor fridge was almost bare, bought another gift card towards christmas shop. Was dry when I went in ( with 3 loads of washing on line) was lashing when I came out. Has been a rain on/ off kind of day. Managed to get everything dry between showers.

Washed Haggis bedding...he has schnooky blankies , so was helping me bring his washing in! He does love his blankie.

Picked some very pretty flowers from the front garden, no idea what they are but I like them . Have not bought flowers for a few weeks as plenty in bloom in the garden just now.

Clean bedding done first thing ( so OH could go back to bed ) but the pleasure of doing it then rather than when I get to bed and realise it's not been made ), bathrooms cleaned, floors washed....all the rain means muddy dog prints, polishing done , hoovering done , ironing done ( watching Poldark) and nice fresh flowers . Happy me.

Have a good day
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 61,718 Thanks
    VJsmum
    1. vjm's truffle recipe again done, results rolling about in COCOA POWDER VERITABLE [bop, brownie pts please]awaiting shipment to Spain demain....most of them ;-] [Your reward for this deliciousness: the 1-hour Glasto ticket sell-out included YOU ]

Originally posted by ampersand
    Shakes head sadly. No, I missed out this time. Once again got through at the last minute only for them to sell out before payment could be processed....

Pleasures for the weekend

1 good walk over the hills and along the coastal path (which didn't take in any coast). A thousand feet of climbing and then back down to the halfway pub where a swift half powered me up the second thousand feet of climbing. It was 12 miles in all, so not the 16 or something I'd feared. Pub at the end while we waited for a train back. Next time it's Machynlleth to Borth (hinterland country, Mila ). Was good and the sun shone but not too brightly.
    2 meal in the evening in a bistro in aberdovey that we hadn't been to before
    3 whilst disappointed not to get Glastonbury tickets (Mila, Glastonbury is a music and arts festival, bit like coachella), the three of us trying were having quite a laugh in the frustration to get through, one in Kent, one in Oxford and me in Wales (sat outside Wharf cafe frith, it was bliddy freezing). Modern technology is amazing. Next chance for tickets is April when many of those who got tickets yesterday won't pay the balance and they go on resale. Also looking at stewarding for oxfam or water aid
    4 drive back from ice cream town. Had a good old sing song with no one to complain
    5. The last Victoria. I have enjoyed it very much.

Have a good day all
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 10th Oct 16, 8:14 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Hinterland! (You know what I'm jealous of and I think you all take for granted are pubs!) Your day sounds just wonderful, apart from the freezing.

Forgot to say: The motion has been made ( & ) and now the second (Mila) that a full report be given as to first week by the BoP. All in favor....

DD Hurray for stamps! What does twin the toilet for the cathedral mean? You lost me there.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 10-10-2016 at 8:18 AM.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Oct 16, 8:44 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 10,590 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Say Aye, over to you BOP.....

Some pleasures for the weekend,

Lovely long chat with a friend, she went through the same with her DM several years ago and can empathise on the rollercoaster of emotions.

Hairy equine pal continues to improve, tentative plans for a little sit on walk down the lane at some point soon, tack needs cleaning first as cobwebby!

A busy baking morning on Saturday, cake tins now full so happy Captain Scarlet.

Catching up on events in Ambridge, loved the anti RT cricket team scene.

Squirrel has decided to bury his stash in our front lawn, bold little thing coming right under the kitchen window.

Lovely Sunday evening walk with CS and the dogs, held hands and talked about current troubles, thank goodness for my beloved.

& so glad you enjoyed Henry and Swanny, we missed out on tickets so envious.
    Frith this clown thing is loathsome, poor son
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 10th Oct 16, 9:01 AM
    • 2,920 Posts
    • 32,029 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    msm http://www.toilettwinning.org/ so for £60 you get to adopt a toilet in a developing country. They send you a framed certificate with a picture of the toilet you have adopted and its coordinates. I adopted one for gbf's civil partnership, and will be adopting another one for friends' wedding next month (at their request). i think though, although private house toilets are brill, if we hang the certificate(s) in the cathedral loo(s) lots more people will see them and hopefully themselves be inspired.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    • 2,101 Posts
    • 15,489 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Pk so sorry to hear about your furry pal. Thinking of you x

Frith - I think I have missed something .. clown thing ?

DD - twin a toilet - fabulous idea

Sunday Pleasures

1. had breakfast with DS when he got in from night shift
    2. got 3 loads of washing done and line dried
    3. more sorting and parting with "stuff"
    4. had a walk to the clothes / book bank and deposited 2 bags
    5. hm fajhitas for dinner
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    2. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Oct 16, 12:51 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 61,718 Thanks
    VJsmum
    ooh love the idea of toilet twinning. I might ask for one for my christmas pressie. Really don't want stuff, so this looks great...
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 5,944 Posts
    • 14,924 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    ampersand - hoping you've made it to NZ, that all is close famberly love & support & that your hand held over x is still upholding them. Very glad to feel you back with us, and taking the battle right up to the prison bars. All laundry by hand? cathartic perhaps but dashed heavy lifting. "you might get round to putting some", er nope but lovely dream!
    sparrer - not heard from you in too long - hoping all is well with you & your family. Mhags reassures us you're busy in real life!
    BoP - I wouldn't go to anyone else for no-nonsense advice! Came by a splendid blue & white teacup that holds just over a pint - basestamp dates it 1891-early 1900s! New job starting - hurrah! Mushroom dynamites? These sound like they should become a Dig Family staple... Pots & sink - I never was competent! Glorious head there. Cooking with BoP - a true delight!
    Mrs LW - delighted to hear Zebra a chatty soul - and what a wonderful big brother he'll make! Very glad to hear HWK is on the mend. Books in the hallway now moved to bookbank? Yes, it does make a difference! Blimey your house must smell amazing! beeswax polished furniture & glorious food! May I send son to you - he also loves conkers & picking apples? Hoping happy family weekend filled with love & laughter. Absolutely right that once soaked, best to relax & enjoy it.
    Capella - big hugs to the ginger ninja, and hurrah on son's promotion & pay rise! (Blue Cheshire cheese is new to me, had though were a sort of hen, so to crumble into soup most strange. Love what I learn here!) Congratulations on knitting lace too - I can justabout manage 'fan & feather' (in a strict scarf) with the right wind behind me. Apple & parsnip soup? Yum! Have looked up a hawfinch so I may recognise one, should an benevolent deity send one my way - lovely bands on wings.
    Purple kitten - right with you on parting with books being tricksy but binning just seeming *wrong*. Snorkerfest sounds splendid! All best with job. Well done taking firm line in garden centre, makes Lidl wins all the sweeter. Hoping ferret responding & all the best with ebay! Jam tarts (yum!) & a rehung door - life is tidier with it in place. So sorry freecycle hasn't worked out for you. While cuddling a fragile ferret, that everything else goes a bit cba is reasonable. Interview slot? Fingers crossed! Oh, dear soul - so sorry Dferret couldn’t stay, but well done seeing in-laws & remembering the good.
    Frith - hoping medics continuing to experiment to get the best dosage, but eep at the intermittent lurches. Shower smelling of fish?! You making your own ozone? Happy Birthday bigger son! Bike sounds a complete win & reassuring to hear chickens in good fettle. Fresh grass & still pleased son - a good combination! How'd 6th form evening go? PE came to a halt as a pizza was delivered? My, how PE has changed. Well, & pizza delivery. Well done smaller son making pizza & successfully frying eggs. Hurrah surveying newts & not Raffles-style. Access to an ice cream make - oh I covet! Hear hear these clowns should be unmasked & I approve your penalty.
    topsyturphy - making Christmas stockings? Lentil soup sounds wonderful - as my future includes more veggies & pulses, what's your preferred recipe, please? Assignment finished? Hurrah! now on placement, with another assignment? Eep! Lovely autumn weather with sunshine is glorious stuff! Fresh coffee - it's the business.
    villagelife - so happy your Dad is doing well & well done you staying polite to MIL! Well done sorting & shredding paperwork - restful to have that off your mind. Well done DS2 on rugby & yourself watching & seeing both play & the double rainbow in the rain. Yes, inconvenient though waiting for them may be, ambulances keep on saving lives in a way taxis can’t. Hurrah DS2 & job! Hoping colleague's wedding plans stay pleasant listening. All your own onions? Blimey! All the very best with MIL. Hoping rehabilitation works for you all & rousing cheers on digging potato bed - that's heavy digging!
    VJSmum - love the "so it must be good" logic. Not forgotten Army admonition "if it doesn't move, whitewash it" - some former life surfacing amidst the chalk paint?! All in, so time off now for good behaviour?! The Round Tuit things are so often "but why didn’t we?" ones. Yeay Zulu! Fingers crossed for Glasto for you, for Sunday if not first try. Have you got warm yet? Victoria is over, already? Dear me. Singing in the car, oh yes - so long as not stuck in traffic with unexpected eavesdroppers, great fun.
    mhags - better a pretty mannered huggable hound than some people... Hurrah MIL hip OK so far. Aldi tubs with flower seeds sound glorious. Love buying plants with laundry money. Started by iron antics, but glad you have the tools to do the job. Phew Boss Told. So glad that day at hospital is done. Absolutely right your blog is your space, but daughter learned & dog walked. Haggis! Mischievous mutt - AWOL not on. Argh - family with vomiting is not good but high winds the simplest solution for the resulting laundry. Ironing with Poldark - that sounds like a plan!
    Skint yet again - once pine depainted, any remaining bumps respond to power sander & revarnish/oiling/waxing, whichever appeals. Wardrobe may become splendid wood for other projects to those keen on making things? (One small bought sideboard has become four tinderboxes of different periods & I have hopes of a small hinged chest. Repurposed quarter sawn oak!) Glad to see others shift furniture before parents visit! Bramleys from a friends orchard a special gift - delicious baked & make almost every jam set! Do not overdo this cleaning lark between lie downs. Have a wonderful week off! 2 whole bags gone? Brilliant!
    milasavesmoney - last time I bought tiles, I was told, go look and Stop at the first one you like. Saved us hours of nervous wear & tear & are still going strong over a decade later. Hurrah your recliner now working both barrels & that Quoye better from nasty cold. Awed at the love that watches in silence. All good luck with tiling! So glad to hear colour is right & scale expanding a bit. Kitchen will possess you until you seize it & win. Fall branding - sadly, I think we just have nametapes - nowhere near as photogenic!
    Dundeedoll - there's something about the proximity of film night, medical programs, students & nibbles that has me twitchy. But was raised with medical students... Might newspaper summary threads on The Discount Codes 'n Vouchers Board help? Or are there insufficient telegraph readers & posters? Hurrah for serendipity & meeting folk! Moving bedrooms & strategic deployment of sari fabric, plus Mrp's cooking - all sounding positive! And serious music while you work - live rach 2! Glad external examiner has been positive. Chaotic, noisy lived-in - a house that isn’t these isn’t home, really, is it? Deffo publish - you've done so much of the work, after all. Love "ginless wonder" & you can find charm in quinine with practice. Splendid to catch up with friends! Spaniels & Bach - yes, I can sort of see the video! Thank you for toilet twinning explanation & where better than a cathedral convenience?!
    chella - one of the real joys of leave is lying in! Candle light & fairylights twinkling? Glorious!
    LaineyT - RL happens, we're still here & glad to hear DM with DB while packages sorted. Well done sorting all the little jobs and making much of fourpaw pals. Watching the Big Machines is fun. Very glad mum home even if only for a while. Good friends are precious above rubies.
    VickyA - isn't it tricky when folk won't behave like the grownups we hoped they were? Oooh that chutney looks fun!
    Burly Shirley - I find henna tattoos compelling study - the grace of the curves!
    C J & Rufus - welcome! Looks smart as paint & ready for a twenty mile walk!

OS Pleasures recently

Golly, the expressions of the Young when meeting butternut squash as a possible meal ingredient. Dubious doesn't begin to do those faces credit. Happily they are unaware of my plans for roast soup... In which their role is strictly that of onlooker. The best-at-food-tech son will be at a craft fair.

My unexpected nasturtium has new flowers & a bright bud to console as one flower goes over. The little splash of orange is a cheering sight.

Lads gripped by Jason & the Argonauts - just to watch the scenes with the dragons' teeth skeletons.... The animation is vintage but they watch entranced!

Hurrah! A little wooden noughts & crosses board turns out to be hollow so you can store the pieces within. And most marbles are too big & one was slightly too big (& got stuck) but came out eventually. Husband insists 5 pieces each, & I reckon 4 each is enough to decide it.

Unpleasure - a colleague has died, unexpectedly suddenly but at home. The chorus of voices at the bar is missing a note.

Pleasure - the chap at the carpark was a tall thin lament of himself after a tooth was pulled & as I headed off for a weekend, I hiked him through self care 101. Today he's recovered & looking much more himself. A bad weekend, he says. Yes, but he gritted his remaining teeth & survived, I point out & his laugh echoes off the bridge brickwork.

Saw my first 'e cat 4' this morning - building site stud finder for "Power, Radio and Genny signals simultaneously, pinpointing buried utilities in a single scan" frankly geophysics for builders! Just smaller & encased in bright yellow to inhibit confusion. The unbelievers' alternative to dowsing rods?!

It's not just me! Saw a chap stump down the path, hop up into the log barrier that shields the path from the road, then hop down again - oh what a relief, I'd thought I was the only one who succumbed to that temptation.

Saw & waved to the tailor! He's got some new shirting fabric swatches in the window - natty striping. (Have I mentioned he did the uniform shirts for the first Harry Potter film? 800 required - never been so thankful I've delegated ironing...)

Met up with colleague looking distinctly twinkly-eyed. Not a grandchild in contemplation but a mere 13 working days until retirement!

Spin the sock with Scouts - I've not felt *that* disconnected from the Universe & so willing to sit on the floor for a while for years. Still, no hangover! Bless my Scouts for taking the rope from me before I fell over.

Whoops! I overslept, but everything is as it should be, if a bit later. Interesting soundscape of power tools & waterproof whispering & birds chirruping (special mention to impressively assertive coal t!t) with my laptop bag hinge creaking in counterpoint.

Small bird swimming upriver leaving a glorious V of ruffled water in its wake.

"The gentleman with bald hair" - some days my brain will proffer not the mot juste but the mot justabout. I was understood, which is what matters.

Planning acquisition of a Quince. The membrillo intrigues me. [Yes! welcome, "Harley", to the erratic garden of Dig... Of the Vrajna variant.]

The cheerful queue waiting for Flu jabs. At a few minutes past eight on a Saturday, we have two nurses & a doctor loaded and happily working through the queue. So much better to have a jab than several weeks not caring about the weekly email!

"Look at the hedge growing up that wall!" (Ivy...) Boychick's grasp on botany is somewhat hazy.

"I'm relying on my charm." "Right, I'll label you a mallet." Dear me, my husband's supportive parenting style has me near crashing the car laughing.

Pile of needlework & history of art books that do not just awaken & inform the Muse but have me reaching for pencils I can't draw with & paper I do not merit to create designs I cannot then assemble but can see blindingly clearly in my mind! Truly is it said get kids into Art & they won't have money for drugs. I'm seeing things & my blood chemistry is normal. [Well, insofar as I do 'normal'.]

Examining the garden in the early dew. Raspberries and blackberries await & I have picked my tiny Allington Pippin clear (of all 3 fruit) & it's branches are dancing relieved of the burden! [Barely half a teacup of each but from only 2 year old plants, I'm startled & delighted.]

Finding a treasury note that I was given. To my shame, I had put it somewhere safe & then forgotten where. The donor was generous almost beyond her means so I *really* didn't want to phone & ask if I'd carelessly left it behind & my husband, having questioned all I recalled, promptly patted my trousers down & lo! Seems my expression of relief equalled that of seeing a loo when pregnant.

Youngest carrying breadsticks as another slightly older young man might carry a bouquet.

Mindful of advice from vendor of quince, sought clarification at car boot stall of greenfingered folk & plan informed programme of nutritious mulch for all trees. (Need more bark chippings to hold virtue in place & fend off weeds.) [sourced, sorted & applied! Now to get fingernails clean again, ahem.]

"Ah," observes son, "you coming in quietly, in DPM and clutching a bag, no, not suspicious at all." No, not at all. The last peapods & the first raspberries of the young plants. I must revisit the hedge with secateurs wherever I have picked... Doubtless son will scold me for wandering with a blade too.

Son fell with impulsive thud for treacle flapjack (why ever did I let him loose in the baking aisle? Oh yes, his sponge is light & mine you could roof houses with) and whilst he says it's overbaked, I'm struggling against the temptation to eat the rest of it!

Reunited with my office teapot! Nowhere I am officially permitted to keep it (pedestal already at safe capacity) so it's lurking on the desk, hoping not to be dismissed.

Oooh! Remote site holding it's Macmillan morning today. Special requests baked for, and various named plates & packages stacked up! Chocolate Oreo brownie, here I come. [Yum. Not *quite* worth loosing a foot for though.]

Huge love & hugs to all who need them, brisk winds to sort laundry & dry leaves to jump into & may health & courage & sheer luck be yours to call on. Oh & Raffles? many thanks for all the yellow stuff & please stick at it!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    • 4,144 Posts
    • 34,704 Thanks
    Frith
    Thoughts to PK (we still remember our first 3 ferrets from 30 years ago) and Lainey.

Pleasures for today (Monday):

1) Not a bad sleep. Smaller son in my bed again as an anti-clown measure. Skint - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/07/creepy-clown-sightings-craze-speads-Britain

2) Just one hour at work then took bigger son for his echocardiogram. Very exciting! Absolutely mesmerising to sit watching his heart valves open and close for 20 minutes. I thought they'd shut like arms (perhaps like on a pinball machine) but no, they sort of waft shut like jellyfish tendrils. The radiographer was happy as it was the clearest picture she'd ever had!! Bigger son is a whisker under 6 feet tall with no fat on his chest at all. Will find out results from the paediatrician in a fortnight.

3) Took him to a rare breeds poultry place afterwards - just his kind of thing. :-D He was making new pen designs up in his head as we walked round.

4) Quick afternoon at work.

5) Went round the charity shops and got 2 small men's jumpers which could fit either son.

6) Looking forward to watching the Island later. Stove lit and a few tasty bits from M and S in readiness for that.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter