Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2
    • 28th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2 28th Oct 09 at 9:14 AM
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
Page 1766
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 21st Sep 16, 11:24 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    My pleasures for today

1. Wonderful friends who reassured me.
    2. Lovely sunshine.
    3. Going to my craft group - not much done but plenty of chat.
    4. Speaking to my ds2 & Dd today.
    5. Chicken & chips for tea
    6. Afternoon tea booked for a biggish birthday later in the year.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 22nd Sep 16, 9:19 AM
    • 2,441 Posts
    • 28,251 Thanks
    mhagster
    Busy day yesterday , quieter day today.

Road trip to Trentham Falls, Victoria's tallest single drop falls. They are in full spate due to all the rain we've had.

Then onto Bendigo to meet up with friends for lunch then a whistlestop tour and potted history of the city. Back to their house for a coffee and a blether. We had a lovely afternoon with them.

Saw Kangaroos, managed to get fairly close to them.

Nice chat with SIL this morning.

Had a phone call from palliative care team ...any chance I was free for a massage this morning, well actually I was.

Very nice lady came and we chatted and I sobbed and she hugged me and someone came to door , a charity collector ( chugger I believe they are called) wanting me to let me know all about ...our Cancer hospital. Still had tears in my eyes at this point and told her ( nicely) we were all too well aware of the place and we did support it ....poor thing was out the garden gate in such a hurry!
    Anyway , I had a very nice back, head and neck massage ...next time I will try and switch off my mind a bit more, it just keeps going! Booked in for a months time. I'm entitled to 3 free sessions.

Friend from Sydney phoned so had a nice chat with her. We are staying with them this weekend.

Watched GBBO

Short dog walk.

Ordered a few things for great nieces advent.

Spag Bol for tea. Remains of pear crumble for pudding....again? said OH, afraid so.

Have a good day.
    Last edited by mhagster; 22-09-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 22nd Sep 16, 9:45 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 31,414 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Pride comes before a fall, and Venice certainly has a very large pride of (winged) lions so a fall was bound to come. So last night I got back to my hotel room after a very pleasant pizza and the water front, 9874 steps on the pedometer. Pride told me to trot round the don orione. Fell down a step ow. So the pleasures
    1) didn't drop my phone on the stone floor
    2) didn't twist my ankle
    3) didn't break my wrist (though my thumb is sore)
    4) didn't disturb anyone else
    5) didn't need rushing to the hospital (though the hospital does architecturally look marvellous).
    Today is doge's palace day
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd Sep 16, 11:32 AM
    • 10,252 Posts
    • 132,248 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Beans on toast for breakfast because we fancied them.

2) It's finally raining here, so long since we had rain other than a passing shower but this has been gently going for a couple of hours now.

3) Standing out in said rain and planting the patio pots and window boxes with pansies of every hue, was very nice!

4) Going to see my Zebra child this afternoon and look after him tomorrow for most of the day, it means sore knees BUT total FUN!!!

5) Popping some really ripe bananas into the freezer from the fruit bowl and knowing that as I now have my lovely whizzy new liquidiser I can make banana ice cream when I get home again, nice variant is to add a heaped teaspoon of cocoa powder before blitzing, Mmmmm yummy!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 22nd Sep 16, 11:48 AM
    • 4,231 Posts
    • 59,684 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - brief respite from writing, reading, editing, rinse and repeat...

DD - owch... A few years ago we had a fantastic water bus from the airport to the centre of venice, there was a massive storm all around us (not so much fun when we got to our hotel much later on to find all our clothes wet in the cases )
    Mhags - lovely rings

Pleasures for past two

1. It's gradually coming together, hope i don't run out of time...
    2. good trip to London, lots of walking
    3. stopping at 9 o'clock every night and watching tv. I don't generally watch much but there's some good stuff on at the moment. though i slept through the second half of grand designs so didn't see the tree house
    4. still eating the freezer. Left over curry and some salmon in the last two days. Shepherds pie tonight. I can finally see what's in it.
    5. Elderly aunt died last week (this, obviously, is not a pleasure). i didn't think i could make the funeral but felt too guilty so the pleasure is i have worked out the best way to manage it and I have pleased my dad by a) going and b) going to see him beforehand (he is not able to go as he is, effectively, housebound).

OH is (still) on holiday. he's been gone a week now and is back on Sunday. i am pleased he is having a nice time, but looking forward to him coming home.

Back to it...
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 22nd Sep 16, 6:02 PM
    • 3,748 Posts
    • 22,257 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    And if you come round here again!
    House of BoP is upside down. More reports later.
    Mila. Red paint has been acquired for Friday.

Due to upside down house, dump run and things, not much had occurred at BoP house!

Get down and on with it
    Two Lovers
    Siting on a bench in Sydney Park
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 22nd Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 9,644 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. DS2 being helpful a d drove to DH work as DH had forgotten his bag he needed.

2. Good day at work. Took lunch in again.
    Signed card for colleague retirement. Someone had made it and it was beautiful. When finished will be a box but made up of sheets of paper for everyone to sign.

3. Payday tomorrow and no need to move money about. Had some expense as well which was out of the ordinary.

4. Tidying the house quickly before work - decluttered a bit.

5. Eggs from the chickens.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Sep 16, 6:42 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 15,026 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    MHags, free massage and a good cry ...how lovely they are caring for the "carer"

PK - I had my flu jab at the chemist this year much better than queuing at the doctor session

Pleasures

1. week of work almost over. Macmillan cake sale day today helped the day pass quickly.. all for a good cause so couldn't resist

2. trip to hospital and good news consultant has decided to remove part of my massively swollen thyroid. 18 week waiting list... not bad, could have been 18 months !

3. text messages with family and friends all pleased for me re the news from the hospital (work not so pleased as we are in special measures re out office sick leave - I will be on disciplinary under new rules when I come back from my op )

4. saw an ad and texted a friend re a local job vacancy - she's been looking to change jobs for a long time

5. lovely red sky just now ... should be a nice day tomorrow
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    2. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!

Savings pot pay off mortgage early from 1/10/16 £0
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 22nd Sep 16, 8:03 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1. 3 washing loads done..
    2. Visited DF who was well normal for him, and cleaned up his place a lot.
    3. Back home and somehow kept to the food plan, despite what we actually wanted.
    4. The animals making me smile always.
    Banking 5 for now.
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 22nd Sep 16, 10:17 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    My pleasures for today

1. Bacon buttie for breakfast with fresh coffee.
    2. Lunch out with friend - special deal.
    3. Lovely sunshine again.
    4. Read another free book on my kindle.
    5. More crocheted hats finished.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 22nd Sep 16, 10:36 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 34,033 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for yesterday (Wednesday)

1) A good sleep.

2) Went back to Dr's. All blood tests clear. Which is good, but means there is nothing temporarily wrong with me, and still something wrong with my heart. She was very unimpressed with its naughty behaviour and I have to half the tablets, then stop them for 10 days, then have 24 hour monitoring then go back on them again. Have halved them and feel dreadful again, can't catch my breath, heart doing 90BPM as I type...

3) Everyone pleasant at work yesterday.

4) Let brother's dog out and fed his ferrets.

5) Watched GBBO.

Pleasures for today (Thursday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Rather a calm and easy day at work. Everyone still being jolly.

3) Parents and brother home from holiday. Brother came round for a while.

4) Back to work again! This time (6-7ish) was training for election canvassing - going round houses to ask people to fill in their electoral roll forms.

5) Enjoyed watching Hunted with sons.

6) Smaller son cooked cookies to a Millies Cookies recipe.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 23rd Sep 16, 3:20 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 10,995 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Yikes Firth! This is very worrying.

MH glad you are getting some special care too. Emotional pain is sometime the worst kind.

Ad today in the paper said 10% of grocery total if flu shot is taken in their pharmacy. I'm for that!

Be sure and buy a good quality of red paint. It doesn't take as many coats.

* grilled cheese turkey green chile sandwiches with a side of HM tomato soup. What is a bacon buttie? I like bacon so it sounds promising.

* Nice phone chat with exMIL. We are driving over and taking her and exSIL out for her 89th birthday dinner tomorrow night. She dislikes current DIL but still loves me! And she adores DH.

* Looking on the net at property in Albuquerque. DH is dragging his heels, and butt, and clutching on to doorways while grimacing at the thought of moving to a city. But it's five hours drive one way to see two of our children and our precious Sequoia. Soooooooo.....

* DD3 called and it's wonderful to hear how much she loves her job. She said she has the greatest boss in the world. She adores all the kids. So happy for her! Big pay raise and more when she finishes her degree in Dec.

* Staying on goal of cooking out of my freezers and food stores. Feels like I'm a responsible frugal adult. Feels good.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 23-09-2016 at 3:30 AM.
    Sept $424.41/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 23rd Sep 16, 5:32 AM
    • 4,231 Posts
    • 59,684 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Mila - bacon buttie = bacon sandwich. White sliced bread, smoked back bacon from the butcher, proper butter, no ketchup is my favourite. Others may disagree . I don't eat bread generally, but will for a decent bacon butty.

Up early for elderly aunt funeral. Three hours each way, it's gonna be a hell of a day. She once said to me "at my age, I'm old enough to be your mother." She was 10 years older than my mother . And outlived her by 7 years. I hope I have her genes

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Reading, editing, it's getting better
    2. Best friend came over for coffee
    3. Shepherds pie for tea. I also am eating the freezer
    4. Watched new detective show. It's a bit pants (Mila, rubbish / awful)
    5. Not sure there is a fifth......

Have a lovely day all...
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 23rd Sep 16, 7:57 AM
    • 3,748 Posts
    • 22,257 Thanks
    Mila I read that as the grocery store will give you the flu and then you won't need 10% off your shop!

No worries folks, duvet is being checked. Snore later!
    Two Lovers
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 23rd Sep 16, 2:32 PM
    • 5,503 Posts
    • 13,600 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    DundeeDoll - Venice - what a place! Don't steps on stone count extra as you have to do the shock absorbing yourself?
    villagelife - hoping your boss *does* do something & enjoy 'normal' colleague?! Golly DS2 cooked supper sounds wonderful under *whatever* name. Retirement card sounds most imaginative.
    VJsmum - Poldark a surprising hit with my lads! Sorry to hear you beset with funeral logistics, but senior family will be so pleased you came (I hope - three hours each way - Phew.)
    Frith - delighted the pills are working & so promptly, and all the best with Barbara moulting. Hoping blood tests cooperative. Ah. Not. Drat. Best wishes for a prompt negotiation on what both you & medics will agree on.
    mila - hurrah on mystery fish and storage closet, but go on - the linen closet will begin to itch at you... Love your family, current & ex, but share the 'Do We Have to' of moving!
    mhagster - hurrah for pumpkin seeds sprouting & happy advent for great neice - DVDs from musicmagpie? At least OH is noticing what he's eating. Rings? (so sorry what post # or Fb?)
    purple kitten - winterise the van sounds a bit ominous? Hurrah money still in budget! Cobblers about the interviews but go for the chocolate cupcakes! Well done foraging & laying up stuff. Likewise keeping on tending DF Significantly lesser mortals wouldn't.
    Mrs LW - aren't the outsides of conkers So Prickly?! But the inside shiny glorious. Hugs to All Pingu's friends-&-relations! Homemade banana & chocolate icecream - Yum indeed!
    BoP - flu jab booked & awaiting me, but refuse to wash car til propsect of sunshine. Love imminent pitch invader! Dump run - needful but not always loveable.
    calicocat - love the sound of chilled day with asbocat!
    LaineyT - awed at gradual prep for onset of seasons & hoping small toad has found somewhere cool to roost over winter.
    katkin - attagal enjoying various hairstyles - updos are Fun! With you not much eating on a vole.
    topsyturphy - craft group - surely plenty of chat is what it's really about? Have a splendid birthday! Tis definitely the season for a good hat - well done yoU!
    Skint yet again - hurrah for Macmillan & consultant but HR27009 applies? Ye Gods.

OS Pleasures recently
    Sipping on a freebie brew as I head for the car, home & weekend. Adds an extra zing to the caffeine.

Big engineering means big or long machines - paused to watch one corner with its driver stood a good 20' behind the front wheels.

Fridays mean, if you catch the right station at the right time, Muppets! And the beloved mner mner song. I can get the words right but am erratic on the timing, but my Inner Toddler loves it.

Hallelujah chorus, & Here we come a-wassailing make splendid earworms to drive to. The Scouts 100 birthday fun has filled me with love for my fellow scouts. Possibly related to the fact most are delightfully short?! [Next morning, knees somewhat less affectionate.]

The leaves are just starting to turn, and there's veil of mist hiding the far side of the valley - there are birds chirping but the chaps bickering is out of earshot. Bliss!

Home grown spuds became the comfort food that is corned beef hash & I have potted up two portions for lunch this week!

Watching a caterpillar tracked digger extend it's arm to get up onto a low loader & saw/heard/felt the wonderful crash as front half and bucket hit the loading pad - exciting as there was definite uncertainty throughout until it landed!

Just awed at sibling love by the Brownlees - they achieve amazing things & set glorious examples.

Mechanical racket, and three metal on metal squeaks trigger an earworm of the First Prelude. Which I then googled to confirm & yes, the piano ripples like a mug of hot chocolate, thick, smooth, soothing. I must have a bash at playing it sometime again! (I'm dreadful at sight reading but it's in C so it's genuinely a novice exercise.)

Cherry blossom is the tick of the celestial clock - if you are fortunate, you get maybe a generous minute before you in turn fade like the blossom.

Autumn is coming - nice cold wet start to the day, shopping included honey, fresh ginger, aspirin, bacon & Nutella. (I don't *think* taken all at once, but sick child perked up several inches at the sight of the Nutella jar.)

Car Passed MOT! For much less than feared - but much happy time spent throwing toys for garage dog. Enormous Shepherd pup, with melting brown eyes!

Long van uttering "Caution, please stand clear, vehicle turning left" in an accent somewhat out of place in Manchester, reminding me strongly of Sir Reynold Stitched (Curator of Fine Art at Ankh-Morpork's Royal Art Gallery [Terry Pratchett, Thud])

Miword Scouts. Overheard identifying a teacher "tall woman, looks a bit like an ostrich"....

Dear me - moon eroded to half itself! This an Equinox related thing or have I really not noticed a fortnight passing?

Autumn trees in their variety flecked with yellows from vivid to old gold & reds from rose gold to full triumphant maple leaf scarlet. The technicolor dreamcoat has *nothing* on mixed woodland in Autumn.

Reading up on Jamboree On The Internet - an international Scout Bash that I don't need passport or petrol money for!

Watching the breeze play with a leaf, scooping & swirling & twirling it up past me on the second floor, then dropping it in favour of some other interest.

Unpleasure, son had another seizure yesterday, but huge pleasure that community & NHS scooped him up, notified family, took Everyone to hospital & he was released with 48-hours-off-school & a stern chit to his consultant.

Great big hugs (&/or gentle blessings, to taste) to all who need them, hurrah for foraging (says she with instructions to make Haw jelly this weekend - that *definitely* got doubletakes at the supermarket) and life would be unspeakably quiet without family - so cherish (within reason) whilst you can.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 23-09-2016 at 2:36 PM.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 23rd Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    • 3,748 Posts
    • 22,257 Thanks
    There's enuff red paint inn here!
    And then what happens. The washing machine has finished spinning. Time for BoPsie to get up and hang it out! Then the washing machine beeps for an age! Why?

5 Cans of red paint collected and ready for the evening. BoPsie is sorting out, after hanging her smalls on the line (Sun is out), her rags of glad. We are about to pass her money against the wall!

4 On that subject, BoP is undecided what he will feast on this evening. HEC or Steak. Wobbleades shall be consumed vigorously! We were going to enjoy back row, posh seats but usual BoP rules, pay for the stalls and walk up, at the flicks, but there is only rubbish on at the moment. Avoid!

3 Now we are on that, I am watching the Tykes trying to win lose and draw at the same time. Other counties are available!

2 Day I see offers a plenty. More later.

That just flew pass off stump!
    Two Lovers
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 23rd Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 31,414 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Another glorious day, this time focused round the arsenale. Didn't realise there were so many types of boats made in Venice over the centuries.
    1) glorious day for our tour of the arsenale, mostly outdoors
    2) tasty lunch at the petty officers mess
    3) although only coffee was available at the end they very kindly provided me with hot water -dd rarely travels without a teabag in her bag!
    4) then to the bascillica for which we had a skip the queue ticket
    5) paid an extra €2 to see the pale gold screen and cheekily ear wigged on a tour guide speaking English
    Now flopped out on the bed, air conditioning on, tea made, just finished miss garnets Angel. Tonight we have wrap up of the dunnett Venice carnival, finishing with dinner in the arsenale officers mess, then 101 happy dunnett readers return to England, Scotland, Germany, Canada, USA, France, and Australia. I come home Sunday.
    Hugs to all. Hope the mystery health issue gets sorted soon frith.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 23rd Sep 16, 4:41 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 15,026 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    DfV new rules from Monday - automatic stage one now

1. bacon sarnie for breakfast
    2. morning at work went quickly
    3. afternoon nap
    4. savings from "no takeaways" has paid credit card bill for decorating and wardrobe top box total £88
    5. moved more savings into xmas fund.
    Have been thinking of long term plans for after my op and have decided to start a savings pot to move house/downsize/pay off mortgage. 10 years left before our office closure and want to be mortgage free by then one way or the other.
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    2. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!

Savings pot pay off mortgage early from 1/10/16 £0
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 23rd Sep 16, 6:23 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1. The neighbours probably think/know I am a bit weird, I was outside at 11.30 last night hanging out washing and wet shoes to dry working on the principle it would be light and or bright / windy a few hours before I am awake hopefully. I also stopped and just took in the sight of the moon.

2. A little lay in wrecked by the postie delivering a parcel.

3. A massive and much needed tip run, so glad to have got it done. But it did take a while.

4. There’s a patch of garden that had turned into the tip run bag area, where we have had to animal proof as the neighbours fence has fallen apart. So I spent 4 hours weeding, digging taking apart and weed killering the area to bring it back up to scratch, made a great start, and now feel really healthily achy, but also created 5 more tip bags… vicious circle but these ones were loaded straight back into the car.

5. It will be as low fat as possible pork mince spaghetti bolognaise for dinner, the left over will be turned into a really mild chilli.

6. If I am good I am going to finish digging down and over the patch of garden, so far, bricks, pottery and old metal have come out, we are built where an old farm used to be but I swear they just dumped everything in our garden and turfed it over.

7. It’s really nice to feel healthily shattered, if that makes sense.
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 23rd Sep 16, 7:41 PM
    • 4,798 Posts
    • 21,792 Thanks
    calicocat
    Over the last two days.....

Hearing the seagulls shouting and flying around the house in the moring.

Spending a night away with good friend and her dogs at the fab dog friendly hotel we stay at for a treat for all. The greyhound totally loves the place, i swear she actually smiles !.

The look on the dogs faces as i was putting into their bowls the roast lunch left overs fritatta and gravy i made them......and how long they licked their lips afterwards.......

The drive through the countryside to get there and back, i go through some lively scenery which at times i miss now living on the coast (but love the coast too).

Sorting the dried cat nip into jars and bags for other kitty friends.....then cutting more to do as my cat wish list from people is growing ...and growing.

Coming back to asbo-cat and her being pleased to see me..especially once she has guided me to the cat food cupboard .

Dining room all done and sorted for monday excepy flowers, an not buying some, going to cut what i have in garden left and some rosemary for the aroma.

Candles lit, and ready for tv and bed now....
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,544Posts Today

8,018Users online

Martin's Twitter