Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cdodd
    • By cdodd 22nd Oct 09, 7:08 PM
    • 630Posts
    • 997Thanks
    cdodd
    0 WOW
    asda gammon joints
    • 22nd Oct 09, 7:08 PM
    0 WOW
    asda gammon joints 22nd Oct 09 at 7:08 PM
    got 700g gammon joints in asda today £2 or £2.86/kg, smoked or unsmoked
    I always buy these, boil one up, get a nice meal then lovely leftovers for sarnies in the week, much nice than pepacked ham

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Bacon/ASDA_Unsmoked_Gammon_Joint_700g.htm
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 23rd Oct 09, 6:38 AM
    • 11,201 Posts
    • 36,979 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 23rd Oct 09, 6:38 AM
    • 23rd Oct 09, 6:38 AM
    I always buy these, boil one up, get a nice meal then lovely leftovers for sarnies in the week, much nice than pepacked ham

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Bacon/ASDA_Unsmoked_Gammon_Joint_700g.htm
    Originally posted by cdodd

We're sorry...
    We couldn't find the page you requested...
    Please go to the Homepage and try again.
    If you continue having trouble finding what you are looking for please contact our
    customer service department at support@mysupermarket.co.uk
    I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Clowance
    • By Clowance 23rd Oct 09, 8:04 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Clowance
    • 23rd Oct 09, 8:04 AM
    • 23rd Oct 09, 8:04 AM
    the offer is available in my asda but in my supermarket I had been set to trolley in tesco, which gave the above error. Manually change trolley to asda and then search for gammon, its quite a way down the page.

I find cooking in coke (cheap own brand ok but not diet) makes even the cheap joints taste good. Thanks nigella!
    Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
    • cdodd
    • By cdodd 23rd Oct 09, 8:06 AM
    • 630 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    cdodd
    • 23rd Oct 09, 8:06 AM
    • 23rd Oct 09, 8:06 AM
    sorry not very good with links i'll try direct from asda

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=gammo n+joint&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requ estid=2266
    Last edited by cdodd; 23-10-2009 at 8:11 AM.
    • moonshine
    • By moonshine 23rd Oct 09, 4:08 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    moonshine
    • 23rd Oct 09, 4:08 PM
    • 23rd Oct 09, 4:08 PM
    Originally posted by cdodd
    still marked as £3.78 each on the shelf in my local Asda today but I got CS to price check one for me and it came up as £2

They'd also got chickens at £2 each (special offer sticker on the chicken not a shelf label)
    • kippers
    • By kippers 24th Oct 09, 7:57 AM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 5,766 Thanks
    kippers
    • 24th Oct 09, 7:57 AM
    • 24th Oct 09, 7:57 AM
    How do you boil the gammon and could it be served as another meat as well as turkey on christmas day when boiled this way or do you use it for a different type of meal?
    • cdodd
    • By cdodd 24th Oct 09, 11:43 AM
    • 630 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    cdodd
    • 24th Oct 09, 11:43 AM
    • 24th Oct 09, 11:43 AM
    How do you boil the gammon and could it be served as another meat as well as turkey on christmas day when boiled this way or do you use it for a different type of meal?
    Originally posted by kippers
    I soak in cold water for a few hours to make it less salty and then boil for about an hour, as other people have quoted you can cook in coke for extra flavour, you can also bake in the oven and baste with honey or something similar to make a glaze. It would go well served alongside xmas turkey. I often serve with mashed potato and cheese sauce, leftovers nice chopped up into pasta and cheese sauce. If you search on the old style board there'll be more ideas. As you can see i'm a great fan, makes lovely sarnies, even better when it's on offer!!
  • Confuzzled
    • 26th Oct 09, 4:48 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 4:48 PM
    lidl have a 1kg package of gammon for 3quid right now if you don't have an asda near you

i like to cook mine in the slowcooker with either coke or a tin of pineapple tipped over the top, very tasty
    • cheerfulness4
    • By cheerfulness4 26th Oct 09, 5:09 PM
    • 2,812 Posts
    • 25,231 Thanks
    cheerfulness4
    • 26th Oct 09, 5:09 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 5:09 PM
    i like to cook mine in the slowcooker with either coke or a tin of pineapple tipped over the top, very tasty
    Originally posted by Confuzzled

That does sound nice. Must give that a try.
    JULY 1st-31ST GC =£0/£123
    £3 per day,
    £15 float for extras
    £15 float for non-foods
    (3 adults)
    Make do, mend & Minimise in 2015 (Use it up, wear it out!)
  • jaymac
    I did one in the pressure cooker yesterday, it was delicious and enough for four good helpings.
  • storminabuttercup
    try it cooked in slow cooker for about 12 hours on low then take out - cover in honey and put in oven for 20 mins - melts in the mouth - yummy - got two in the fridge ready!

also asda have chickens on at 2 pound - i bought two and cooked both one for sunday lunch - rest for sandwhiches today and all the brown meat for the doggies!
    Last edited by storminabuttercup; 26-10-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: for some reason wrote fish instead of meat - bed time i think
    • meg72
    • By meg72 27th Oct 09, 8:34 PM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 41,789 Thanks
    meg72
    Went into Asda today the Gammon is now back up to £3.72
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,261Users online

Martin's Twitter