Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Quick! Grabbit while you can > It's Gone, but was it any good? > Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC ... (Page 24)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST
Views: 148,813
# 461
Altarf
Old 21-10-2011, 9:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigsteroonie View Post
I have really thick lenses and, when viewed from the side, my lenses have always stuck out from the frame to both the front and the back. I presumed they put the frame central to the edge of the lens in order to balance the weight.
No, it is just poor service from the optician.

Like the other person, I always ask the optician to fit the lens so that the whole 'depth' is protruding behind the frame. The only two opticians that I have ever found to manage that on the first attempt were ASDA and Costco.

The most useless were Boots. They attempted it SIX yes SIX times, and failed on each attempt. They informed me that they subcontract out the production of their glasses, and there was no mechanism for them to communicate my request to the factory.

What I found really amusing was that apparently with each attempt they threw away the lenses and the frames, because the factory wouldn't refit new lenses in the 'old' frames. So they had to throw away six genuine Ray Ban frames and 12 lenses, AND refund my money, because they still couldn't get it right.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 462
lolly5648
Old 21-10-2011, 9:53 PM

Can you get Varilux varifocal lenses from Asda?
# 463
kingboyk
Old 23-11-2011, 6:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by the devil made me do it View Post
Why does my glasses always come back with half of the lens sticking through the front of the frames? I know I am extremely short sighted, but since I always buy plastic frames with wide arms to hide the thickness, there's absolutly no conceivable reason for this. I always have my lense thinned down aswell.
Specsavers have been the worst for me. I have a pair of designer frames from them where the lenses fell out after wearing for less than a week!

To answer the question you were asked, I've never gone for thin lenses before as I didn't know they existed until someone mentioned them to me recently.

I have -5.25 and -4.00. Does anyone know if that qualifies for me thin lenses at Asda?
# 464
Altarf
Old 23-11-2011, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyk View Post
I have -5.25 and -4.00. Does anyone know if that qualifies for me thin lenses at Asda?
Yes - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&postcount=136
The Following User Says Thank You to Altarf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 465
Brunnen-G
Old 14-08-2012, 7:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Any recent information on this? Do ASDA still give thinner lenses without charging? Thanks.
# 466
cb4fwh
Old 24-08-2012, 8:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes, went into my local Asda & got two pairs with the Super Thin & Light (1.70 ASPH) lenses yesterday (my prescription is -7.75).

£99 for two pairs! Fyi., the new Autumn range of frames is now available, and choice is alot better than it has been in recent years.
Original Mortgage Balance = £246,684.75 (31/12/2006)
Present Mortgage Balance = £161,465.26 (14/07/2014)
Original Mortgage End Date = 2026 (48)
Aspirational Mortgage End Date = 2019 (41)
The Following User Says Thank You to cb4fwh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 467
FTMDan
Old 19-02-2013, 9:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Is this deal still on? (The two pairs for £99). My prescription is +7.25 in both eyes so how thin could I get my lenses? Also, can anyone comment on the general service etc. at ASDA Opticians regarding eye tests, assistance in choosing frames, aftercare etc.?

I'm just fed up with Specsavers and even though I only got my glasses from them around 6 months ago, I'm considering going to ASDA anyway as everything about my latest visit to SS was horrible; Lenses are like jam jar bottoms as they 'advised' me to pick a certain type of frame then another employee told me that I shouldn't be wearing glasses and should be wearing contacts because my lenses will 'always be thick and heavy'.
# 468
kennyjosiah
Old 22-02-2013, 11:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMDan View Post
Is this deal still on? (The two pairs for £99). My prescription is +7.25 in both eyes so how thin could I get my lenses? Also, can anyone comment on the general service etc. at ASDA Opticians regarding eye tests, assistance in choosing frames, aftercare etc.?

I'm just fed up with Specsavers and even though I only got my glasses from them around 6 months ago, I'm considering going to ASDA anyway as everything about my latest visit to SS was horrible; Lenses are like jam jar bottoms as they 'advised' me to pick a certain type of frame then another employee told me that I shouldn't be wearing glasses and should be wearing contacts because my lenses will 'always be thick and heavy'.
yes i am sure it is still on not sure if the prices are still the same but they still include the thinnest lenses at no extra ... might be worth a trip to asda to find out x
MRS kennyjosiah Baby girl due March 2010
# 469
FTMDan
Old 07-04-2013, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yeah, I might pop in. My eye test isn't due for another year and a bit but I am seriously considering going to ASDA anyway. Specsavers were fine in my area around 5/6 years ago when they weren't as popular. Nowadays they are useless. Reminds me of mobile phone networks; offering great deals and customer service to get customers then when they get big, they just don't care that much any more.

I had a lady assist me picking some frames. She knew fine well that my prescription was quite strong (+7.25 in both eyes) so I picked the same sort of frame as I normally do (Quite thin/basic looking) and she said it'd be great.

I picked my glasses up a week or so later and away I went. Within a couple of days, the nose pads were hurting my nose so bad that they actually broke the skin. I went into the store and a woman proceeded to tell me it was the worst she'd ever seen. She then swapped the nose pads for some silicon ones and then proceeded to give me a speech on how I was stupid for picking frames this thin as my lenses are far too heavy and thick and that they are always going to put pressure on my nose. I then got a 10 minute speech on how I should get contact lenses instead when I've tried them before and my eyes just don't agree with them.

She adjusted my glasses to loosen the frames a bit. I noticed later on that they were really loose and that when I was running a bath / tidying up and looking down towards the bath / floor, my glasses would constant slip down my nose. They are loose to the point where if I look straight down at the floor, they slip off my face and start dangling / swinging off my face if I move my head.

I went to get them adjusted and it was a constant problem of them making them too tight then too loose again.

I assume I can go into ASDA and get an eye test / this 2 pairs for £99/£110 (Whatever it is now) offer even though I've been tested in the last year since I will be paying? I honestly don't mind paying if it means I get more stylish, better looking frames, thinner lenses, better value for money and better customer service.

Last edited by FTMDan; 07-04-2013 at 9:01 PM.
# 470
Tigsteroonie
Old 05-05-2013, 2:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've just been back to Asda again, my prescription has changed so I now need varifocals. I've ordered three pairs from their non-designer range, one will have sunglasses tint, all three will have the 1.7 super-thin-and-light lenses. Turns out that I now get a higher-value NHS value towards them (varifocals). So in the end I'll pay something like £85 for my three pairs ... and then I'll claim £60 back on my company's healthcare cash plan I cannot believe that ten years ago, I was paying £350 for one pair of thinned specs; and now I can get three pairs for under £100 Thank you again Asda!
Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

The only way is UP!
# 471
FTMDan
Old 21-05-2013, 1:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Anyone with similar eyes to me had any experience with what index lenses they got? I'm +7.25 in both eyes and wondering if anyone else had similar and what they got.
# 472
Froggitt
Old 21-05-2013, 9:32 AM

I'm 7 and 7.25.....not sure whether plus or minus, but they have a chart that gives you the appropriate thinness for your eyesight.
illegitimi non carborundum
# 473
FTMDan
Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Do ASDA have any lens options such as anti-reflection coating?

EDIT: Nevermind, answered my own question. What are 'Distinct lenses'?

Last edited by FTMDan; 01-06-2013 at 12:01 PM.
# 474
FTMDan
Old 09-06-2013, 4:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggitt View Post
I'm 7 and 7.25.....not sure whether plus or minus, but they have a chart that gives you the appropriate thinness for your eyesight.
The only reason I asked is because for my level of sight it says 'Seek advice from the optician' and I wasn't quite sure what 'decision(s)' would need to be made about my lenses that would differ from others?
# 475
Froggitt
Old 09-06-2013, 9:24 AM

No idea, but they are pukka opticians there.....although I go in with my prescription from my normal optician (he does the NHS diabetic screening in my area).

Incidentally I was in my normal optician yesterday with the tadpole, and a lady was being priced up for specs.......£80 for the frame and £350 for the thin lenses
# 476
Snowbelle
Old 09-06-2013, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cleaning glasses

Can anyone offer any advice on cleaning glasses with the coatings to ensure they stay scratch free for as long as possible?
# 477
Froggitt
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Use a microfibre cloth like you would use on a camera lens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Froggitt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 478
Snowbelle
Old 09-06-2013, 1:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggitt View Post
Use a microfibre cloth like you would use on a camera lens.
Thank you. I have come across many items on the internet where people are washing them with water and washing up liquid. Asda specifically said not to use washing up liquid and to avoid getting them wet as this can cause a rainbow effect on the lenses.
The lenses seem to always have smudges on them and I am concerned that keep cleaning them will scratch them. I did wonder if I would have been better off getting them without coatings.
# 479
Froggitt
Old 09-06-2013, 2:53 PM

Had my ASDA specs a few years, with reflective coating or something like that. Breathe on them every morning and rub with the same microfibre cloth Ive used since ever, and they are still scratch free. No smudges. No rainbows.

Recently bought a spray for my iPad which I was going to try on the specs.
# 480
FTMDan
Old 09-06-2013, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Anyone know what SPH Specsavers 'Extra Thin & Light' is equivalent to? I got this done to my glasses for free but it honestly looks like they didn't do anything and was just curious.