Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 21st Oct 09, 12:54 AM
    • 35,828 Posts
    • 31,986 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 21st Oct 09, 12:54 AM
    • 21st Oct 09, 12:54 AM
    I can't tell you exactly what those numbers mean, but 'accrued holiday entitlement' is the amount of holiday you would be entitled to take and be paid for, and 'holiday pay accrued' means how much you'd be paid if you left without taking that holiday.

I'm guessing that after 11 months you might have 'earned' 4.26 weeks' worth of leave, because the minimum statutory entitlement is 5.6 weeks or 28 days, but this can include bank holidays and assumes you're working days per week. And I can't quite get to that figure.

HOWEVER you do need to check whether your employer will pay you for leave not taken if you're staying in the job, because I didn't think you could pay someone NOT to take their leave. And some employers will let you carry some over to the next leave year, and some won't.

If the job is only temporary then you could work without taking any paid leave and get your holiday entitlement paid at the end.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Still knitting! Aiming to finish this cardigan before I get my bus pass!
  • Elmiee
    • 21st Oct 09, 1:01 AM
    • 21st Oct 09, 1:01 AM
    Oh it makes a bit more sense now! I thought it was days not weeks haha which is why the 2nd figure made no sense at all. So in theory my holiday pay that should be paid is the 2nd figure? I think it's kind of right as I get paid ever 2 weeks and get about £300-£330 though that comes in less that what it's saying. hmm!

And it is only tempory work and I'm pretty sure we get it paid to us as it's not carried over to the next year, my manager tried getting me to take some holiday a few months ago but I refused for the reason I want it in one lump sum on top of my usual wages! I work at McHell (Mc Donalds) just been applying to new jobs as it's defo time to leave that place and with all christmas temp work going I'll be mad not to take a chance on getting something better! :]

My start date and 1 year annversary is 6th December so it's not too long away
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 21st Oct 09, 1:20 AM
    • 35,828 Posts
    • 31,986 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 21st Oct 09, 1:20 AM
    • 21st Oct 09, 1:20 AM
    Do just check that they will pay you accrued wages if you work beyond 6th December then, or make sure you leave before that!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Still knitting! Aiming to finish this cardigan before I get my bus pass!
    • Mudd14
    • By Mudd14 22nd Oct 09, 6:50 PM
    • 848 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Mudd14
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:50 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:50 PM
    Just to note statutory holiday cannot be paid ontop of wages, it must be taken to ensure your company is complying with working time directives.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 22nd Oct 09, 6:54 PM
    • 34,121 Posts
    • 43,752 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:54 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:54 PM
    Yes, do check about your holidays, some companies say if you dont take them you can lose them. and you payslip figures will go down to nil.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 22nd Oct 09, 6:55 PM
    • 34,121 Posts
    • 43,752 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:55 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 6:55 PM
    Just to note statutory holiday cannot be paid ontop of wages, it must be taken to ensure your company is complying with working time directives.
    Originally posted by Mudd14
    Wow, i didnt know that.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 22nd Oct 09, 8:26 PM
    • 8,323 Posts
    • 5,858 Thanks
    LittleVoice
    • 22nd Oct 09, 8:26 PM
    • 22nd Oct 09, 8:26 PM
    Yes, and the holiday needs to be taken "in year" not after it - except, IIRC, the extra parts of a week which have been added since the original 4 week (built up from 3 week) entitlement.
  • qw3rt7
    • 23rd Oct 09, 7:23 AM
    • 23rd Oct 09, 7:23 AM
    Yeah this is important! If you leave before you have completed a year, your outstanding holiday will be paid. However, if you work for over a year, having been given the opportunity to take holiday AND refused to do so, there is no obligation to pay it or carry it over!!!
  • Uncertain
    Originally posted by Mudd14
    True but you can be paid for instead of taking any contractural holiday above the statutory minimum. So, for example, if you are entitled to 33 days but only take the statutory 28 some firms may opt to pay you for the extra five days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,997Posts Today

9,319Users online

Martin's Twitter