Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 20th Oct 09, 7:14 PM
    • 6,102 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 20th Oct 09, 7:14 PM
    • 20th Oct 09, 7:14 PM
    I've just had some work done thru Age Concern, government aided. They didn't want to know my income or savings, totally free.
    Something to do with helping oldies to stay in their own homes.
    Maybe they don't do heating repairs, not sure, but savings in other directions could help your mum pay to mend the boiler.
    Staywarm is an expensive tariff.
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 20th Oct 09, 11:01 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    • 20th Oct 09, 11:01 PM
    • 20th Oct 09, 11:01 PM
    I know they do have vetted tradesman do age concern. I think they do charge but very reasonable charges, not sure on big jobs but I know they do little jobs as I had relative had some work done last year
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 20th Oct 09, 11:04 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    • 20th Oct 09, 11:04 PM
    • 20th Oct 09, 11:04 PM
    Just found this on one Age concern web site

Tradesman's List

We have a list of qualified plumbers, electricians and other tradesman who are willing to carry out larger projects.

http://www.trustmark.org.uk/

The link above may find local tradesman near you
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 21st Oct 09, 7:31 AM
    • 6,102 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 21st Oct 09, 7:31 AM
    • 21st Oct 09, 7:31 AM
    This is a handy site, glasgow..

http://www.careandrepair-england-hhhl.org.uk/links.htm
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 21st Oct 09, 8:37 AM
    • 19,753 Posts
    • 33,708 Thanks
    SailorSam
    • 21st Oct 09, 8:37 AM
    • 21st Oct 09, 8:37 AM
    Don't know if it's the same in Scotland but down here people on benefits can get help for heating and insulation through Warmfront, If your Mum had her heating fitted by these sone years ago she may not have used all her grant so maybe entitled to a top-up for a repair or even a new boiler if she is without heat.

Just found the warmfront phone number
    0800 316 6011
    Last edited by SailorSam; 21-10-2009 at 8:40 AM. Reason: adding phone number
    Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
    I need all the preservatives i can get.

• AppleMonkey
    • 23rd Oct 09, 5:48 PM
    • 23rd Oct 09, 5:48 PM
    Not sure if its still going or not but try E.on if your still with them, ask to be put through to the CaringEnergy team. They have (if there still going) a grant scheme that may pay for repairs on your boiler.

Sure they can give you more information if you ring them. (between 9-5 though as that team only works those hours).
    • barrymung
    • By barrymung 24th Oct 09, 4:55 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    barrymung
    • 24th Oct 09, 4:55 PM
    • 24th Oct 09, 4:55 PM
    Hi

They quoted £175 for what exactly?

If they have itemised their quote, post the details and I'm sure MSE regulars will let you know if it's reasonable or not..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,381Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Glad to see @IamSairaKhan is offering out Prosecco not champagne on #CBB. Her time with me hasn't been wasted!

• I can see @IamSairaKhan already starting to look after everyone, like she does me on a shoot. I hope they appreciate her in there #cbb

• Why do some #CBB contestants feel the need to swear every other word. The power of profanity is in its rare shocking use. Its horrid.

• Follow Martin