Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Can I claim ESA when new partner moves in? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can I claim ESA when new partner moves in?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,772
# 1
sindy
Old 20-10-2009, 2:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Can I claim ESA when new partner moves in?

Hi,

My new partner and I have just moved in together, he works full time but doesnt earn a great deal (brings home about 1,000 every 4 weeks)

I have a 5 year old daughter and i get child tax credits.

I am also disabled and get DLA Higher rate Mobility (car) and lower rate personal care (family help me daily)

Am I entitled to claim ESA now?..as I am too ill to commit to working and will now lose income support due to partner moving in.

thanks any help appreciated
Distant fields will always look greener.
Yet, golden opportunities are all around you
# 2
healy
Old 20-10-2009, 3:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You would not be entitled to income based ESA due to what your partner earns. If you have paid enough contributions in the tax years 06/07 and 07/08 you could be entitled to contribution based ESA. If you have not worked and paid NI in recent years you will not get ESA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
sindy
Old 20-10-2009, 3:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hmmm ok thanks...I knew I wouldn't be entitled to contribution based ESA but seeing as i'm disabled and on 2 awards of DLA then I would be entitled to it.....?? as it's not my fault I cannot work

Thanks for replying hun
The Following User Says Thank You to sindy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
healy
Old 20-10-2009, 3:12 PM

[QUOTE=sindy;26143409]hmmm ok thanks...I knew I wouldn't be entitled to contribution based ESA but seeing as i'm disabled and on 2 awards of DLA then I would be entitled to it.....?? as it's not my fault I cannot work

No DLA does not have any connection to being able to claim ESA, it is down to NI conts/circumstances.
The Following User Says Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
sindy
Old 20-10-2009, 3:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

oh dear don't think my partner is aware that he will have to support me 100% financially due to me being disabled and not being able to work!

It's going to be very tight
# 6
karenx
Old 20-10-2009, 3:16 PM

Remember you will have to start a joint tax credits claim and his income will be included in it, also HB if you rent privatly will have to go to a joint claim too!
# 7
tigerlily
Old 20-10-2009, 3:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Without meaning to sound harsh you are getting considerable help already (new or nearly new mobility car, tax credits, care allowance) and now have your partners income aswell. Just for reference his "not a great deal" of earnings is more than alot of people live on with out the extra help of benefits.
D!!! !!!! = D!!!m!!! 2010...!! !! M!!!h 2006 !! !! !!w J!!!!!y 2010..... !! !! D!!!m!!! 2008 !! !! !!w D!!!m!!! 2009 h!p!!!!!y !!!!!!!!D!!! !!!! J!!!!!y 2012, !!!! !!!g!! !!! ! g!! !h!!!, !!! !y my!!!!, !h!!!gh !h!!! h!!d w!!! !!d p!!d!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
sindy
Old 20-10-2009, 3:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Without meaning to sound harsh you are getting considerable help already (new or nearly new mobility car, tax credits, care allowance) and now have your partners income aswell. Just for reference his "not a great deal" of earnings is more than alot of people live on with out the extra help of benefits.
He has 4 kids he pays maintenence for aswell in a previous marriage...the care allowance (17.50 a week) goes to my family for petrol and their time to help me out......

"not a great deal" was meant as a personal feeling towards the job he does.....he's a dustman and works extremely hard in all weathers for a local council and think he should be on more for the service they provide.

Thanks for replying
# 9
karenx
Old 20-10-2009, 3:31 PM

Does he pay through the csa? He could ask for a reassesement as it might reduce what he has to pay as they will take into account your child too
The Following User Says Thank You to karenx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
sindy
Old 20-10-2009, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenx View Post
Does he pay through the csa? He could ask for a reassesement as it might reduce what he has to pay as they will take into account your child too
No he doesnt, he pays it privately.....luckily his ex takes less than the csa would demand but its still a chunk when u consider 4 kids...but thats fine...he has to pay that...we understand that
# 11
sindy
Old 20-10-2009, 10:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It seems that when I phoned the benefits helpline today they informed me that I should of claimed IB a long time ago!...but I quite clearly remember being told by the jobcentre I'd be better staying on income support because I would receive more money!......is this because they knew that IB was being replaced soon!
# 12
LizzieS
Old 20-10-2009, 10:26 PM

No they give information based on your actual circumstances at the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizzieS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
sindy
Old 20-10-2009, 10:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think it's crazy...they are forcing permanently disabled people to seek work and possibly do more harm to their health! so that they can have some quality of life without worrying about money all the time
# 14
DX2
Old 20-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindy View Post
It seems that when I phoned the benefits helpline today they informed me that I should of claimed IB a long time ago!...but I quite clearly remember being told by the jobcentre I'd be better staying on income support because I would receive more money!......is this because they knew that IB was being replaced soon!
Do you think maybe you were getting Income support because you were a single parent.
# 15
sindy
Old 20-10-2009, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX2 View Post
Do you think maybe you were getting Income support because you were a single parent.
Yes I was a single parent and they gave me a disability premium on top of the IS, but was told that if I went on IB it would be less money to live on....I did have a choice...but I did not know that IB was going to change to ESA. If I had of known I would of switched to IB
# 16
LizzieS
Old 20-10-2009, 11:08 PM

As you say, you had a choice to take less money. Sometimes decisions made are right at the time, only later to bite you on the backside. I very much doubt many staff would be aware of ESA well in advance of its introduction.

I'm struggling with the maths here, you've lost 64pw and gained 1000pm. Possibly you would have lost some or all housing/council tax benefit, but you made a choice of love rather than money.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LizzieS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
sjaypink
Old 20-10-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I think it's crazy...they are forcing permanently disabled people to seek work and possibly do more harm to their health! so that they can have some quality of life without worrying about money all the time
They are not forcing you to work. They are presuming if you have a partner move in he will be aware of the situation and contribute?

Maybe you couldn't get IB because you hadn't paid enough NI?
Can you not give your car back to the lease company and have the benefit in cash instead if you think things will be that tight?
We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjaypink For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
tigerlily
Old 20-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
There is nothing crazy about it. If a better standard of living is wanted then that better standard of living has to be paid for.....and not by the taxpayer. The fact of the matter is that your partner is moving in, well aware of the disability you have so I really dont see the issue. You are not being "forced" to work, it is your choice to have your partner move in and it is your choice to live as a couple and pool your resources. If you choose to work to improve your quality of life then power to your elbow. There are all sorts of jobs out there and it is a small percentage of people who can do absolutely none of them.
D!!! !!!! = D!!!m!!! 2010...!! !! M!!!h 2006 !! !! !!w J!!!!!y 2010..... !! !! D!!!m!!! 2008 !! !! !!w D!!!m!!! 2009 h!p!!!!!y !!!!!!!!D!!! !!!! J!!!!!y 2012, !!!! !!!g!! !!! ! g!! !h!!!, !!! !y my!!!!, !h!!!gh !h!!! h!!d w!!! !!d p!!d!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
paulwellerfan
Old 20-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

sorry if this is a bit harsh
you want to live with your gf..

just cause you un employed and on dvla ? or another form of income
do you not want to pay any thing towards her house hold billls..?
is that what you are trying to get away from
forgive me if i am wrong.
# 20
sindy
Old 21-10-2009, 8:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwellerfan View Post
sorry if this is a bit harsh
you want to live with your gf..

just cause you un employed and on dvla ? or another form of income
do you not want to pay any thing towards her house hold billls..?
is that what you are trying to get away from
forgive me if i am wrong.
I am a woman and he is quite willing to pay for everything and also pay for his previous 4 children
Closed Thread