Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Hand held steam cleaners-are they any good? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Hand held steam cleaners-are they any good?
Closed Thread
Views: 7,705
# 1
amandada
Old 18-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Hand held steam cleaners-are they any good?

Well are they?

I'm looking to get one of these, mainly for cleaning my manky oven and microwave.
Are they as good as they say on the tin or am I better putting the money towards getting a "pro" oven cleaner in to do the dirty deed?
# 2
Jake'sGran
Old 18-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I want a steam cleaner but for carpets and I read that Karcher do the best ones. Have a look at their site and also at the online catalogue of Argos. You might find something on the Which site about which is the best. I was looking for info about batteries last week and was surprised to find that Which actually gave results of their tests which they never used to do. They might do the same for hand held steam cleaners.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jake'sGran For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Raksha
Old 18-10-2009, 11:43 AM

I find my hand head really useful for those sorts of jobs - I think it was about 14.99, seen similar in Home Bargains for the same sort of price. It's also really good for defrosting the freezer - use the steam as a 'lance' to remove chunks of ice which can then be put in a bucket and left outside to thaw, rather than just oozing all over the floor while the food melts.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Raksha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
amandada
Old 18-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Raksha, that's a brilliant tip about the freezer-my dad's asked me to do his!
# 5
MUMMYTO2BOYS
Old 18-10-2009, 2:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We had a hand held steam cleaner. It was fairly useles for cleaning microwaves and ovens. It'd do the hob if you spent long enough, but as already suggested it's best use was defrosting the freezer.
The Following User Says Thank You to MUMMYTO2BOYS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Errata
Old 18-10-2009, 4:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Microwave oven cavaties can be cleaned by putting a bowl filled with about a pint of water in and cooking on high for a couple of minutes. The water steams and softens the gunk which is easily removed with a damp cloth.
.....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Errata For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Jake'sGran
Old 18-10-2009, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Microwave oven cavaties can be cleaned by putting a bowl filled with about a pint of water in and cooking on high for a couple of minutes. The water steams and softens the gunk which is easily removed with a damp cloth.
I read somewhere that putting a lemon in the water helped too.
My husband is great at cleaning the oven and microwave so I let him get on with them. I had a lot of surgery - big stuff, heart etc, and since then he does a lot of cleaning and really seems to like it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jake'sGran For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
sparky40
Old 20-10-2009, 1:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I use good ol fashioned vinegar for cleaning the microwave, a few capfuls in a bowl of warm water on high power for a few minutes breaks down the caked on food.
Norn Iron Club Member No. 343
# 9
jimbo_the_jetset
Old 20-10-2009, 8:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ditto on the freezer defrosting, works a treat.

Also good on grimy greasy surfaces.

Cleaning the bed etc. Ironing curtains.

And finally for all those nooks and places you'll never get to, you'll be amazed at the dirt that comes out.

Hmmmm, all this good advice above I should really use mine more!! Only a cheap one.
# 10
shykins
Old 20-10-2009, 9:00 AM

was thinking of getting one of these myself for similar reasons .... anyone got brands they would particularly recommend?
When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
# 11
swanny1
Old 31-10-2010, 3:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandada View Post
Well are they?

I'm looking to get one of these, mainly for cleaning my manky oven and microwave.
Are they as good as they say on the tin or am I better putting the money towards getting a "pro" oven cleaner in to do the dirty deed?
Like others on here tried my hand held steamer on most cleaning tasks and have to say with very poor results, only plus was for defrosting and that's the only job we use it for now.
# 12
tony6403
Old 31-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Mine could apparently clean ovens , make my alloy wheels look like new , clean carpets ( and kill germs whilst so doing ) and work wonders with discoloured grouting.
In practice it didn't.
# 13
egyptiangirl
Old 01-11-2010, 7:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Got mine from Aldi a few months ago. Wanted it for a couple of things - cleaning around the hob and seals in the kitchen and to do the toilet ( in the bits on the seat join which are impossible to get to with spray/cloth etc)

So far it has done exactly as I wanted. Haven't done a 'tough' job yet but moving soon so will try it on the not so clean oven.....
Plan for Xmas 2013 - use vouchers, gift cards, cashback etc from the year to pay for all gifts
# 14
Sammy-Jo
Old 02-11-2010, 5:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Think its great for cleaning crevices and around taps, toilet seats. Also have started to use it after using Oven Mate in my oven and leave it overnight then use the steam cleaner to remove all the gunk. It kind of collects in the bottom of the oven and then I wipe the bottom clean. It helps remove the chemical smell that is left after cleaning. Probably havent used it as much as I would of thought but still glad I have one!
Closed Thread