IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Installing a catflap in a pvc door?
Closed Thread
Views: 68,076
# 1
gorilla
Old 22-05-2006, 11:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Installing a catflap in a pvc door?

Hi all.

We currently have a pvc backdoor with a glass panel top and bottom. We would like to install a catflap, but are not sure if this can be done in a glass panel or whether we have to get that replaced with a pastic panel or indeed if it's not easier just to replace the door.

I'd appreciate any comments from MSE'ers who have a setup similar to this.

Many thanks,

Gorilla
# 2
xela_17
Old 22-05-2006, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. Also, if anyone knows whether you can buy a PVC door with a catflap already installed.
What did I do at work before I discovered MSE?!

DFD - WAS: a while ago

NOW - not sure, due to boyfriend going back to uni for masters and now pgce. Worth it in the long run!
Proud to be dealing with my debts!
# 3
Quincy
Old 22-05-2006, 11:28 AM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You will have to get a Glazier to measure the Glass in the door as you WILL need a new DG Unit, just pick out the catflap you want and then phone a company for a measure up and they will take catflap with them and do all the measurements back at the workshop then order a unit with the correct hole in and then come out and fit the new unit, expect to pay about £80 or so just get a quote first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quincy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
thetope
Old 22-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

what we did was we popped out the double glazing panel and stored it somewhere safe, got some marine plywood (cant remember the thickness, but the same as the double glazing unit), sprayed it white gloss to match the door, then cut out the cat flap shape in the wood, installed the panel and that was that. you would never know it wasn't meant to be there. Of course it does cut down on the light through the door but the glass panel always needed cleaned etc. This means we can replace it back to the original state easily if the time comes to sell the house - and can take the cat flap to the next house if they have a pvc door!
money money money... must be funny... in a rich man's world
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetope For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Quincy
Old 22-05-2006, 11:39 AM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Also you can get a proper Blank to go in the door instead of glass, thats the white blank panels that you see at the bottom of some doors and a Glazing firm will cut a hole out of that, whilst this may take a day or so an ordered unit will take about a week or so but the old unit will be left in place at all times whilst the new one is being sorted, plus this has the proper white plastic finish and wont flake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quincy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
gorilla
Old 22-05-2006, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks to all your replies. There seems to be something wrong with the thanks button at my end????
# 7
wobbley
Old 22-05-2006, 5:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Why not just give the cat a key?
Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
The Following User Says Thank You to wobbley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
phil76414
Old 05-01-2007, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetope
what we did was we popped out the double glazing panel and stored it somewhere safe, got some marine plywood (cant remember the thickness, but the same as the double glazing unit), sprayed it white gloss to match the door, then cut out the cat flap shape in the wood, installed the panel and that was that. you would never know it wasn't meant to be there. Of course it does cut down on the light through the door but the glass panel always needed cleaned etc. This means we can replace it back to the original state easily if the time comes to sell the house - and can take the cat flap to the next house if they have a pvc door!
How easy was it to pop out the panel?

We want a cheap to solution to this situation as we are renting and have to restore the door back to it's original state when we leave.

Cheers, Phil
# 9
HugoSP
Old 05-01-2007, 7:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

There was another thread on this very subject recently.

IIRC the concensus of opinion was the insulated upvc panel. Cut a hole in this just as you would with wood.

The insulated panel will perform better from an insulation point of view than wood, assuming the cat flap won't let too much cold air in.
Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
2 savings jar - now at 3.42
# 10
Alikay
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 PM

We had to change the decorative moulded panel in the bottom of our door for a plain flat pvc one, and fit the cat flap into that. It cost us about £80 for the panel and the chap from the windows-and-doors company fitted it for us for free. You will probably need a cat flap with a "tunnel" type liner, as pvc doors are basically two layers of plastic and hollow in the middle. We got a staywell one that does the job fine for less than £20
# 11
fimonkey
Old 08-03-2007, 7:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default cat flap dilemma...

Have been up against this many times,all research pointed to the best option being ...
changing the bottom glazed panel by popping the beads off (a filling knife is good for this) and cutting a board of the same thickness and size as the glass.
Next,cut the hole according to instructions.
Then prime the board with a 50/50 mix of PVA and water and repeat after first (generous) coat.
then spray or paint the surface with sufficient coats to cover well,i prefer a spray as it gives a better finish.
Next you need to fit the catflap into the board.
then pop the board in the door and re-bead it!
###TOP TIP### cover your hammer with an old white sock/cleanwhite rag to protect the beads as you tap them back in!
Itll can be an idea to use a board 1-2mm thinner than the glazed unit to allow for paint and ease of refitting.

Apologies if im teaching my gran to suck eggs?
The Following User Says Thank You to fimonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
looby-loo
Old 08-03-2007, 7:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Or put the cat flap in the wall. Cat hides in it too.
Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
My DD might make the odd post for me
The Following User Says Thank You to looby-loo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
fimonkey
Old 08-03-2007, 8:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default cat flap dilemma...

Have been up against this many times,all research pointed to the best option being ...
changing the bottom glazed panel by popping the beads off (a filling knife is good for this) and cutting a board of the same thickness and size as the glass.
Next,cut the hole according to instructions.
Then prime the board with a 50/50 mix of PVA and water and repeat after first (generous) coat.
then spray or paint the surface with sufficient coats to cover well,i prefer a spray as it gives a better finish.
Next you need to fit the catflap into the board.
then pop the board in the door and re-bead it!
###TOP TIP### cover your hammer with an old white sock/cleanwhite rag to protect the beads as you tap them back in!
Itll can be an idea to use a board 1-2mm thinner than the glazed unit to allow for paint and ease of refitting.

Apologies if im teaching my gran to suck eggs?
# 14
sooz
Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 PM

we finally got round to fitting a catflap in our upvc door (glass top, and panelled upvc bottom). I'd been reading this with interest, and had got several quotes for blank bottom upvc panels & catflap fitting, and was horrifed at the costs. 120plus.

so we thought if we'd have to spend that, we might as well have a go with the current panelled upvc bottom panel.

after measuring, we drilled a pilot hole, to see if the door had a metal layer (it didn't) and cut the hole out very easily with a jigsaw. The catflap fitted very well, and around it we put white bathroom sealant to disguise the small gaps where the panel is not flat.

cat is now very happy (apart from the fact that one other local bully cat who needs an asbo is using it to let himself in )
The Following User Says Thank You to sooz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
never enough
Old 10-03-2007, 1:46 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooz View Post
cat is now very happy (apart from the fact that one other local bully cat who needs an asbo is using it to let himself in )
Buy a water pistol & wait for him to come visiting!!
# 16
redballoon
Old 10-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

we did this and we took out the glazing panel and got some wood of some sort and fitted that in the hole with the cat flap in that.

Hope that makes sense!
Make 10 a day challenge March 2013 101.24 / 240
WSC 10 March - 0 / 5
Debt 17,294 - 7th March
# 17
lost_traveller
Old 30-03-2008, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have back door in which the top half is glass and bottom half is pvc. I dont wich to replace the door but I wish to remove the cat flap as i dont have a cat and the flap lets in draughs and insects. Is it possible to buy a cat flap cover (a dummy flap) to seal it up or do you know roughly how much it would cost to replace the pvc half?
# 18
redmandarin
Old 10-10-2008, 4:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The two posts above are an infringement of site rules.

They have been reported.
# 19
Timeblast
Old 26-11-2008, 1:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveller View Post
I have back door in which the top half is glass and bottom half is pvc. I dont wich to replace the door but I wish to remove the cat flap as i dont have a cat and the flap lets in draughs and insects. Is it possible to buy a cat flap cover (a dummy flap) to seal it up or do you know roughly how much it would cost to replace the pvc half?
I have the same problem. Can anyone help?
# 20
staceyg1984
Old 05-05-2010, 9:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooz View Post
we finally got round to fitting a catflap in our upvc door (glass top, and panelled upvc bottom). I'd been reading this with interest, and had got several quotes for blank bottom upvc panels & catflap fitting, and was horrifed at the costs. 120plus.

so we thought if we'd have to spend that, we might as well have a go with the current panelled upvc bottom panel.

after measuring, we drilled a pilot hole, to see if the door had a metal layer (it didn't) and cut the hole out very easily with a jigsaw. The catflap fitted very well, and around it we put white bathroom sealant to disguise the small gaps where the panel is not flat.

We will need to do the same with our upvc door, can you tell me how easy it was doing it yourself ? Hubby is worried about spliting the panel.
Thanks
Stacey
Closed Thread