Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > How long does it take to open a Nationwide curren... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How long does it take to open a Nationwide current account?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,386
# 1
KatrinaC
Old 20-05-2006, 8:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How long does it take to open a Nationwide current account?

I'm about to travel to the US on business and I don't want to convert sterling into dollars unless I need to as I won't be recompensed for any loss through commission or exchange rates.

Opening a Nationwide current account purely for this trip and loading it up with sterling before I go seems to be the cheapest way to get dollars as and when I need them whilst I am over there (unless anyone knows better).

The problem is that I fly on the 2nd of June (9 business days!). Do you think there is anyway of getting the account opened and receiving the debit card before I fly? If not, does anyone have any advice about how to lose as little of my cash as possible?

All advice welcome!

Kat
# 2
Ericson
Old 20-05-2006, 11:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I was reading in the Daily Express during the week of pre - paid travel cards which they report are becoming more popular, the article recomends the itravel card as the cheapest to use. £3 to load money and 85p for each withdrawal although a search didn't come up with that card. below are links which explain what these cards do and Monysupermarket does a comparison, Maybe other people on site have used these cards I dont know, but I also would be interested to hear if they have because being a cash only type of person would like to use one when I go on holiday at the end of June

Hope this is of some use :rolleyes:

http://home3.americanexpress.com/cor...05/tc_card.asp

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/default.asp?p=0
The Following User Says Thank You to Ericson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
paddytt
Old 20-05-2006, 11:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just opened a Nationwide Current account. It took quite a few weeks, I would say that if you are leaving in 9 days you won't be in time.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to paddytt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
grumbler
Old 21-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson
See American Express travel card ...
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumbler For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
mummytwinton
Old 21-05-2006, 7:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

it's just taken us 2 weeks to get as far as our cash cards coming though sorry, we have done it for the same reason free to get & use for cash overseas
The Following User Says Thank You to mummytwinton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Ericson
Old 21-05-2006, 1:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Seems these travel cards are not so great after all,(thanks Grumbler) upon checking Nationwide do not charge for using FlexAccount either abroad which is the one I use, guess who I'm going to stick with. maybe you could chivvey them up KatrinaC at your local branch might get it through quicker. as I remember because its a straight forward cash account with no checks my Flexi was up and running in a week
The Following User Says Thank You to Ericson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
KatrinaC
Old 22-05-2006, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks everyone!

As dollars are relatively easy to order I've decided to open the account, but if the cards don't arrive on time then I won't be stuck for changing money. I'm going abroad later on in the year too so the account will come in handy for then anyway.

Kat
# 8
KTF
Old 22-05-2006, 1:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you go into the branch today then you might get away with it. I had the cards in my hand within 10 working days of me opening mine.

you have to go to the branch with ID, etc but they can open it there and then (unlike the Internet option).
Closed Thread