Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Bunnie1982
    • 17th May 06, 1:34 PM
    • 17th May 06, 1:34 PM
    I have used pasta shapes in the past for baking blind
  • 1sttimer
    • 17th May 06, 2:06 PM
    • 17th May 06, 2:06 PM
    I used to use dried peas/beans. BTW what do you cook when using them? I used to do it for baked custards, but I found it made little difference so don't bother now and it all gets eaten up no problem:rolleyes:
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
    • tanith
    • By tanith 17th May 06, 2:14 PM
    • 7,901 Posts
    • 8,466 Thanks
    tanith
    • 17th May 06, 2:14 PM
    • 17th May 06, 2:14 PM
    I always used bread crusts off any stale bread just line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and bung in a few crusts, you have to !!!!! the pastry with a fork first of course.. then the rest of the stale bread gets used up for a bread pudding... yummy , and as you would probabley thrown the bread away anyway its freee
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
    • janetmw
    • By janetmw 17th May 06, 2:33 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    janetmw
    • 17th May 06, 2:33 PM
    • 17th May 06, 2:33 PM
    My favourite use for a blind baked pastry case ( apart from the classic Lemon Meringue pie) is Gypsy Tart. It is exceptionally yummy, easy and cheap!

For a 7inch pastry case take a small can of evaporated milk 170g/6oz. It works best if the can of milk has been well chilled in the fridge. Place contents in a bowl with same weight of dark soft brown sugar (use the muscavado type). Whisk with an electric whisk until extremely thick and much paler in colour (could take 5mins). It may be possible by hand, but it would take forever! Pour mixture into pastry case. Bake in pre-heated oven at 200C Gas Mark 6 for 12 minutes. It may still seem a little 'wobbly'. Remove from oven and leave to cool. It will then be set. If feeling decadent, serve with cream.

Janet
    Last edited by janetmw; 17-05-2006 at 2:45 PM.
  • Noozan
    • 17th May 06, 7:08 PM
    • 17th May 06, 7:08 PM
    I keep a jar of dried soya beans which I use in place of "baking beans" for pastry cases.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • twink
    • By twink 17th May 06, 7:21 PM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 26,220 Thanks
    twink
    • 17th May 06, 7:21 PM
    • 17th May 06, 7:21 PM
    i saw in a mag someone uses an upturned sandwich tin and lines that with pastry then pricks it so no need to bake blind dont know if it would work tho
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 17th May 06, 7:22 PM
    • 9,531 Posts
    • 21,214 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 17th May 06, 7:22 PM
    • 17th May 06, 7:22 PM
    what are they actually supposed to do? :confused:

whenever i am baking a pastry base for a pie/flan/quiche, i always !!!!! it with a fork repeatedly, bake for 10-20 mins, then fill and cook as normal.

i've never ever used baking beans (or a substitute) before and my baking has always been lovely
    know thyself

MFW 2016 #22 - £1177.06 /£6,000 (19.6%) 1% challenge £335 / £1050
    MFi3 v4 #29 target £75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Noozan
    • 17th May 06, 7:27 PM
    • 17th May 06, 7:27 PM
    They hold the pastry down whilst you bake it blind.

In the past, I've treid just pricking with a fork but pastry hates me and still "bubbles" up unless I weigh it down. I've even treid pricking it to death but then the contents of the pastry case (when I fill it) just leaks out and laughs at me.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • krishna
    I just !!!!! it, but keep a bit of pastry back to plug the holes after it has been baked blind.

If you want to weigh it down you can use just about anything. I've even used a handful of teaspoons

Krishna
  • joey-lou
    If i am being lazy i just !!!!! the case but if not I use dried beans/pulses both do well just depends what "head" I have on that day
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 17th May 06, 11:17 PM
    • 9,531 Posts
    • 21,214 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    ive never had a problem with pastry bubbling ever... are you sure you're all making it right
    know thyself

MFW 2016 #22 - £1177.06 /£6,000 (19.6%) 1% challenge £335 / £1050
    MFi3 v4 #29 target £75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • soba
    • By soba 17th Sep 06, 11:10 AM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 6,511 Thanks
    soba
    I used lentils as baking beans, are they ok to use?
    I made some pastry a few weeks ago that I had to 'bake blind'. I'd got no baking beans so used some red lentils instead, which I cooled and put in a tub to use again. Now I've got a recipe for sausage patties which uses red lentils and they're the only ones I've got. Anyone know if they'd be ok to use? They look exactly the same as when I first tipped them out of the box.
    Thanks,
    soba
    • soba
    • By soba 17th Sep 06, 11:44 AM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 6,511 Thanks
    soba
    Please ignore above post, I've now found a pack of lentils in the cupboard.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    LOL It would be worth knowing if you do decide to try to cook them! I imagine they'll be fine but maybe bigger beans would be too tough after baking them?
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • ellie2912
    Baking Beans
    I really want to make my own quiches. I’ve searched out some recipes to try but they all say to bake the pastry blind with “baking beans”
    Now i know what these are (well i have a rough idea anyway!) but does anyone know where i might be able to get some. i havent a clue.
    Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.
    Thanks in advance
    ellie

• saveaholic68
    Hi, Wilkinsons sell tubs of ceramic baking beans for £2.99
    The good thing is, as they're ceramic you can use them again and again
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 30th Aug 07, 6:59 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 9,946 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    I've seen them in my local Cargo, not sure how much though.
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 40 (only 50 to go )
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 30th Aug 07, 7:05 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 132,559 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lakeland have them - click here.

Penny. x
    Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
  • powershopper
    baking beans
    I always use the kind of dried beans you usually soak and then cook. Any sort will do, red kidney,butter, any of that type. Put a circle of greaseproof paper on top of your pastry, cover with the beans, then bake. When youv'e finished and the beans have gone cold, store them in a jar for next time. They will last for ages!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,456Posts Today

8,432Users online

Martin's Twitter