Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SnowyOwl
    • By SnowyOwl 3rd Oct 09, 12:41 AM
    • 5,099Posts
    • 14,774Thanks
    SnowyOwl
    JSA - contributions based entitlement running out
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:41 AM
    JSA - contributions based entitlement running out 3rd Oct 09 at 12:41 AM
    Hi all

I have been notified that my contributions based JSA will run out next month. Obviously I want to be in employment and am trying very very hard to get a job. However if I am unsuccessful in securing employment does this mean that my JSA will stop completely? Or do I switch to income based JSA? If so, is there a difference in the rate of benefit paid out?

Thanks.

Snowy

Page 1
  • gordikin
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:47 AM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:47 AM
    SnowyOwl, this question has been asked on MSE many times and recently if my memory serves me...do a 'search'.
    • elkay115
    • By elkay115 3rd Oct 09, 12:56 AM
    • 6,542 Posts
    • 27,912 Thanks
    elkay115
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:56 AM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:56 AM
    SnowyOwl, this question has been asked on MSE many times and recently if my memory serves me...do a 'search'.
    Originally posted by gordikin
    Or you could just be helpful. :rolleyes:

SnowyOwl - It will depend on your circumstances on whether you go onto income based JSA. It depends on if you have a partner and how much they earn. Income based JSA is the same as Contribution JSA as far as I am aware.
  • gordikin
    • 3rd Oct 09, 1:04 AM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 1:04 AM

SnowyOwl - It will depend on your circumstances on whether you go onto income based JSA. It depends on if you have a partner and how much they earn. Income based JSA is the same as Contribution JSA as far as I am aware.
    Originally posted by elkay115

I thought I was...a search will give a whole load of answers quickly. Rather than a one post it will depend/it depends...it's the same, which means sweet FA
    • SnowyOwl
    • By SnowyOwl 3rd Oct 09, 6:20 AM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 14,774 Thanks
    SnowyOwl
    • 3rd Oct 09, 6:20 AM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 6:20 AM
    Originally posted by gordikin
    Hmm, has your motorbike got an ashtray?

• SnowyOwl
    • By SnowyOwl 3rd Oct 09, 6:35 AM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 14,774 Thanks
    SnowyOwl
    • 3rd Oct 09, 6:35 AM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 6:35 AM

Originally posted by elkay115
    Hi elkay - thanks for your constructive reply!

I am single & live alone, ie no family, no partner, no children, no dependants. When I applied for JSA I applied for both contribution based and income based as I was unsure which was correct as I'm unsure of the rules. The letter I received only mentioned that my contribution benefit was going to run out, and there was nothing about what would happen at that point if my circumstances remain unchanged.

BTW I had a look at the sticky for FAQs at the top of the page to see if I could find the answer before posting the question. Since there are so many ifs and buts with benefits it was difficult to find an answer which applied to me.

Thanks.

Snowy

• fazste
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:52 PM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:52 PM
    Hi,
    After the time limit has expired for your NI based jsa, you will be able to file a new claim for income based jsa.
    Also consider looking at housing benefit if you haven't already.
  • Buba09
    • 3rd Oct 09, 3:58 PM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 3:58 PM
    Hi Snowy! I agree with the others, this happened to my sister she was on Contribution based JSA and was informed that this would be ending so you get moved to Income based JSA as you live alone apply for HB & CTB as these are based on Income I wouldn't see there being a problem with you getting help. Goodluck!!

HTH
    • alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 3rd Oct 09, 4:04 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    • 3rd Oct 09, 4:04 PM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 4:04 PM
    Board Guide Comment

Please be nice to all MoneySavers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
  • gordikin
    Hmm, has your motorbike got an ashtray?
    Originally posted by SnowyOwl
    No..but I'll happily do a 'search' for you and post the results for you
  • NASA
    Hi,
    After the time limit has expired for your NI based jsa, you will be able to file a new claim for income based jsa.
    Also consider looking at housing benefit if you haven't already.
    Originally posted by fazste
    Its not a new claim as such - a JSA3 needs to be completed and this should be sent out automatically about 2-3 weeks befire JSA(C) runs out.
  • fazste
    Yeah sorry, i meant it's only new as in your circumstances have changed (ni to ib jsa)
    Do the jsa3 form get sent out automatically? i never received anything in regards to this and was given one last time i asked at the jobcentre- i would go in and ask just to be sure!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

788Posts Today

5,743Users online

Martin's Twitter