Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 18th May 06, 12:16 AM
    • 2,380 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    Anywhere abroad?
    Thanks for that, didn't know! Do you know if that is likely to be the same throughout europe? Am going to Paris shortly and was about to stock up with Euros before I go. Thanks.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden
    • Cumbrian Male
    • By Cumbrian Male 18th May 06, 11:27 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Cumbrian Male
    Thanks for that, didn't know! Do you know if that is likely to be the same throughout europe? Am going to Paris shortly and was about to stock up with Euros before I go. Thanks.
    by flossy_splodge
    Nationwide dont charge any currency conversion on cash withdrawals and their's are visa debit cards so any visa logoed atm will be fine.
  • hammy the hammer
    and remember to pick that you want billing in euros not gbp at the cashpoint..it can be quite confusing
    • Infidel
    • By Infidel 20th May 06, 3:58 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Infidel
    Just one word of caution. If you do use an ATM abroad make sure you make an account of the money that you actually took out.

When i was in Shanghai i used several ATM's there that did not work; they told me there was an 'error connecting to server' and such messages. But then on my return to the UK i found that those times when i was unable to withdraw money that it was still taken out of my account.
  • scooper
    so marks and spencer is the best place for exchanging euros,but by how much compared to the post office,say if i was changing £100?
    appreciate what you have got x
  • hammy the hammer
    so marks and spencer is the best place for exchanging euros,but by how much compared to the post office,say if i was changing £100?
    by scooper
    if you are just changing £100 you have to factor in petrol , shoe leather and length of queue in each place
  • slowen
    On friday I spent £603 which got me 860 euros which the rate was just under 1.43 and on my receipt it said I got a £33 discount on the exchange as they were only offering 1.35 in the shop (Thomas Cook)
  • hammy the hammer
    but no one surely would buy euros at a rate of 1.35 to the pound last week.
  • slowen
    but no one surely would buy euros at a rate of 1.35 to the pound last week.
    by hammy the hammer
    Two people in front of me in the shop actually took the euros at 1.35 and one of the people paid with a credit card which i think is pointless as they charge 2% so you are losing money paying that way.

I decided to listen to the rate in case they got a better one than me as I wanted to get the rate at the highest as possible
  • hammy the hammer
    there be mugs in the world then !!!!!!!!! frightening or rich !
  • Wish29
    I went to the Post Office where they had a good stock of Euros, used my LloydsTSB card to pay for them at a better rate than LLoyds were offering and got stung for a £4.50 charge by Lloyds for buying currency on a debit card. If I had gone to a cashpoint and withdrawn the cash to buy the Euros Lloyds wouldn't have charged me £ 4.50. What right have LLoyds got to charge me for buying something with my money- would they charge me the same if I paid for my car tax at the Post Office using a debit card?
  • hammy the hammer
    it's because it's a money advance transaction or something. if you feel the need to purchase like this again you'll have to use the cashpoint or change banks
    • pin
    • By pin 7th Jun 06, 7:54 AM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    pin
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=201733
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • foz2000
    I got referred by a mate to crown currency exchange back in February, I ordered about £552 for collection in June ready for the hols and got Euros 1.4756 per £.

I ordered a further £150 yesterday and got a rate of 1.4306 per £.
    No commission so I think it's a good deal and thats what this site is about, getting value for money.
    www.crowncurrencyexchange.com they are based in Cornwall. Good Luck
    by vyvwalters
    I never use anyone else, the $ is 1.91 if u book now for jan 07!
    • pin
    • By pin 7th Jun 06, 11:32 AM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    pin
    I never use anyone else, the $ is 1.91 if u book now for jan 07!
    by foz2000
    But you are basically hedging on the currency going up or down. For all we know by Jan 07 the £ may be even higher than $1.91 and then you would have lost out. Also you are giving up money you can use / save now to US$ which you won't be able to touch until Jan 07.
    • tobys_mummy
    • By tobys_mummy 7th Jun 06, 1:42 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    tobys_mummy
    I got referred by a mate to crown currency exchange back in February, I ordered about £552 for collection in June ready for the hols and got Euros 1.4756 per £.

I ordered a further £150 yesterday and got a rate of 1.4306 per £.
    No commission so I think it's a good deal and thats what this site is about, getting value for money.
    www.crowncurrencyexchange.com they are based in Cornwall. Good Luck
    by vyvwalters
    Looked on this site today and it still offers the best rate. the rate is 1.4145. I am not going on holiday til july 31st. would it be best to wait until nearer the time to get my money, or take advantage of the higher rate of 1.4253 to have it delivered at that time.
  • foz2000
    But you are basically hedging on the currency going up or down. For all we know by Jan 07 the £ may be even higher than $1.91 and then you would have lost out. Also you are giving up money you can use / save now to US$ which you won't be able to touch until Jan 07.
    by pin

Maybe but what would i use the £1000 to earn more money on? (i am a bit thick)

let me know thanks!
    • pin
    • By pin 7th Jun 06, 3:26 PM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    pin
    Maybe but what would i use the £1000 to earn more money on? (i am a bit thick)

let me know thanks!
    by foz2000
    I don't have time to do the maths for you, but search the forums and you will find loads of info about savings accounts, etc where that £1k coud easily sit earning interest for six months.
  • Nytehawk
    Hi Tobys_mummy I would take the rate that it is today and get it delivered up to one week before you go. Its a good rate and they are both a reputable firm and provide very competitive offers. I asked for delivery around the beginning of June and hey presto courier delivered on the 1st June as promised. Many folks order it as I do but from the current thread get lower rates; thereby lands you your answer. Its all about getting the best deal for the man/woman on the day
    • tobys_mummy
    • By tobys_mummy 8th Jun 06, 8:19 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    tobys_mummy
    thomas global exchange offered me a better rate of 1.43 euros, so i might go with them instead.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,233Posts Today

6,836Users online

Martin's Twitter