Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Orange - Poor/non existant signal at home (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Orange - Poor/non existant signal at home
Closed Thread
Views: 5,337
# 1
vein
Old 25-09-2009, 12:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Orange - Poor/non existant signal at home

My wife took out a contract with Orange at the beginning of August through Phones4u. When she got the contract she asked the guy in the shop about the signal strength in our house as at the time I was with O2 and the signal was really poor. He done the check and it came back saying the signal would be fine so she signed up.

Fast forward to current time and she is totally fed up. She has next to no signal avaliable when she is in the house. Text messages are taking up to 2 hours to arrive and calls are going straight through to answerphone. When she is not in the house her signal is fine and she can receive texts/calls as normal.

I took out a T mobile contract last month and my signal is fine in the house. As mentioned before my last contact was O2 and the signal was similar to her Orange one.

Today she went into the Orange shop to see if they could do anything (forgetting it was phones4u she bought from ). Anyway they ran the signal test again and again it came back fine. She took it along to phones4u and all they could suggest was sending the phone off to see if it was a problem with the phone itself.

Is there anything that she can do? Preferably she would like to leave Orange and move to T-Mobile as she knows the signal will be fine in the house. As she is only 2 months into a 24 month contract I'm thinking she may struggle!

Thanks in advance!
# 2
DarkConvict
Old 25-09-2009, 1:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It some cases the operator may cancel a contract, it has been known to happen if there is no signal. Although this is usually when there was signal but there is not a signal anymore (i.e. mast taken down).

You can continue to ask orange what they can do and see if they will reduce or cancel the contract, but legally i do not believe there is anything they have to do. As your contract is with your operator, not who you brought it from (but correct me if I'm wrong if this differs with shop based contract seller)

I take it she gets signal outside of the house OK?

With regards to you having poor signal on O2 doesn't matter as orange have their own masts. I do not believe these two share their network.
# 3
Mr Thrifty
Old 02-11-2009, 8:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Try Orange Unique Phone
# 4
sillylittlejill
Old 02-11-2009, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to sillylittlejill

Hey

I don't think that you will be able to cancel as you have had it for 2 months. If you had gone back after a couple of days and explained then I have heard of it being cancelled due to the coverage checker being incorrect but you have had the contract for 2 months so doubt they will be able to do anything.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..
# 5
Sheepster
Old 02-11-2009, 9:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I believe the four "proper" mobile companies have their own individual masts, or certainly transmitting equipment. Just as an example, my mother in law can get T-mobile in her flat, and O2 is a really strong signal, but Vodafone and Orange are no-go's. It's a localised blackspot for some weird reason (My pet theory is that the flats have extra reinforcement in the building materials as they're sheltered, and this plays havoc with radio signals).

I'm sure I also read that Orange for one example has to use a different frequency to for example Vodafone, and Voda's frequency in theory penetrates buildings better.
# 6
DarkConvict
Old 03-11-2009, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepster View Post
I believe the four "proper" mobile companies have their own individual masts, or certainly transmitting equipment. Just as an example, my mother in law can get T-mobile in her flat, and O2 is a really strong signal, but Vodafone and Orange are no-go's. It's a localised blackspot for some weird reason (My pet theory is that the flats have extra reinforcement in the building materials as they're sheltered, and this plays havoc with radio signals).

I'm sure I also read that Orange for one example has to use a different frequency to for example Vodafone, and Voda's frequency in theory penetrates buildings better.
Are there mobile masts on the roof of the flat (if its a big tower flat that is), I believe if the masts are on the top then underneath (the flats themselves) would be a blackspot, ironic isn't it.
Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
# 7
Colliewobble
Old 03-11-2009, 6:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Does your house have a steel frame or is it of 'unusual' construction - thick stone cottage-style walls, etc?

My friend's house is like a signal blackhole - you just can't get any inside but full signal outside and it has a steel frame.

Just a thought...
# 8
Mr Thrifty
Old 03-11-2009, 8:00 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello.

Why not try Orange 'Unique Phone'?

With this service, your mobile phone will automatically route calls via your broadband line whenever you have a good wi-fi signal. For those of you out there who like making assumptions without reading points of detail, I shall just change font colour and put the following text into bold so that you can't miss it. It is however not like Skype. It simply uses the wi-fi signal like a sort of local phone mast so that you get perfect reception and data is seamlessly routed to your phone via Orange's servers on the Internet.

It is a clever service that gives you perfect reception at home without messing up your tariff. It doesn't even cost anything! All you need is a handset that supports 'UMA'. There are plenty of them around.

Thanks for listening, everyone, and I hope you benefitted from this important message. I for one wish I had known about it years ago. I am nothing to do with Orange, other than a now very happy customer.
# 9
gjchester
Old 03-11-2009, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Thrifty View Post
Hello.

Why not try Orange 'Unique Phone'?

With this service, your mobile phone will automatically route calls via your broadband line whenever you have a good wi-fi signal.
However it ony works in range of your ORANGE broadband signal.

No use to anyone who's not on Orange for their BB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gjchester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
drbesty
Old 03-11-2009, 2:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You don't need Orange broadband to use UMA, it'll work with any broadband provider, all you need is a wireless router.

Orange also don't guarantee indoor coverage, no mobile operator does
The Following User Says Thank You to drbesty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
gjchester
Old 03-11-2009, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbesty View Post
You don't need Orange broadband to use UMA, it'll work with any broadband provider, all you need is a wireless router.
Taken from the Orange Unique T&C.

3. The Unique Phone service offers you the ability to:
a. Make and receive voice calls over the Orange Wireless Broadband Network when in range of the Livebox in your home

4. You need to have an activated Orange Wireless Broadband service in order to make and receive calls over the Orange Wireless Broadband Network.

Seems pretty clear to me you need to have Orange Broadband and the Orange Livebox router to use it.

Is it technically possible on other routers and broadband services, probably, but thats not how Orange sell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to gjchester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Mr Thrifty
Old 04-11-2009, 7:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hey there.

Let's be careful making assumptions, and get some rigorous logical reasoning back into our thinking here.

Allow me to assist with the logical reasoning via an application of 'set theory'.

Basically, just because Orange state that the Unique Phone service offers you the ability to use their UMA service via Orange Broadband, that does not imply that you cannot therefore use it via other Broadband providers. This is an important point, and is the sort of statement that often fools the masses.

And indeed, stating that you need to have an activated Orange Wireless Broadband service in order to make and receive calls over the Orange Wireless Broadband Network is a statement that affects only those people who wish to use the Orange Wireless Broadband Network. People who use other ISPs such as Tiscali would not be affected by this statement, because of course you do not need an activated Orange Wireless Broadband service in order to make calls over the Tiscali network (for example).

These are subtle but important points.

Further, my statements are supported by empirical evidence. Orange DO let you use UMA via other broadband providers.

I don't think you need to read too much into the fact that they refer to Orange products a lot in their literature. How can I explain this? It's like when you buy a Panasonic TV and they state that you need to use Panasonic AA batteries in the remote control. We all know you can use any AA batteries, but they are just refering to their own product because, well, that's what they sell.

UMA is a superb service and highly recommended. The only significant downside in my opinion is that it limits handset choice.

Thanks for listening, and have a logical day.

Last edited by Mr Thrifty; 04-11-2009 at 7:20 AM.
# 13
gjchester
Old 04-11-2009, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Allow me to assist with the logical reasoning via an application of 'set theory'.
Logic and Mobile company contracts do not sit well together. Readiong Oranges site this is a service for business only, although I suspect individuals can use it too. I'd not be rushing to base anything on logic with a phone company, as the T&C say it can only be paired to one router at a time too, and not public WIFI , so only useable in a set areas (sound like the old rabbit system)

Whilst you may be able to use the service over other broadband providers, it appears a proviso that you have the Orange service at home.

Do you have Orange Unique Phone?

If so do you have Orange Broadband at home and a Orange Live box?

Unless your using Orange Unique phone without an Orange broadband at home we can't base this on any evidence so far. I suspect you need an active Orange BB line to get the service setup and activated, although you may be able to access it from other locations. It could also be Orange's T&C are wrong and you just need a UMA compatable mobile.

Remember Orange still need to be in the loop somewhere to transfer incoming calls to the Broadband side, and outgoing calls to the landline interface so they control all the options.
The Following User Says Thank You to gjchester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Mr Thrifty
Old 04-11-2009, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes I agree that logical and mobile phone companies don't sit well together! Haha, sometimes those lousy phone companies just do my head in, especially with their complicated pricing plans. You gotta love them for the convenience etc, but they still do your head in from time to time.

Anyhow, I do have Unique Phone and use it on a non-Orange wi-fi. It is available to domestic as well as business customers. Using orange broadband is not a requirement, although if you ask them they will no doubt recommend that everyone uses Orange Broadband because that's what they sell. The call just gets routed through a secure connection to an Orange server on the net. The call quality is superb. Note that even though it goes through your wi-fi, you still get charged for usage (or it comes out of your inclusive minutes). I'm not sure how many different networks you can pair it to at a time, I imagine this is a function of the handset rather than unique. It is awesome and solved all the problems I had with lousy reception at home. Orange now make me feel all warm and cosy inside.
# 15
gjchester
Old 04-11-2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Anyhow, I do have Unique Phone and use it on a non-Orange wi-fi. It is available to domestic as well as business customers.
My apologies I'll stand corrected.

Have you ever had orange BB?
Closed Thread