Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 21st Sep 09, 1:50 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Freecycle guide discussion link
    • 21st Sep 09, 1:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Freecycle guide discussion link 21st Sep 09 at 1:50 PM
    This discussion relates to the

Freecycle article

Please click reply to discuss.

Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Page 1
    • EricDeeson
    • By EricDeeson 29th Sep 09, 11:05 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    EricDeeson
    • 29th Sep 09, 11:05 PM
    A concern about Freecycle / Freegle
    • 29th Sep 09, 11:05 PM
    It seems that a number of people are now replying to offers on free websites in order to give themselves good stock for car boot sales.

This is dangerous, but I don't know what the organisers could do about it.

Certainly I wish I could decide from a dozen or two hopefuls which are genuine and which are trying to make a living from my cast-offs! But maybe such people are needy too?

Cheers - Eric
    • thedean
    • By thedean 29th Sep 09, 11:12 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    thedean
    • 29th Sep 09, 11:12 PM
    • 29th Sep 09, 11:12 PM
    There are other groups besides the US run Freecycle network. Reuseit, Freegle, Freeshare recyclinggroupfinder .com helps but is a liitle behind with over a third of former recycle groups moving to the Freegle unbrella or going independent.

Also its about reusing keeping stuuf off the tip than getting "Freestuff"
  • emsgrandad
    • 30th Sep 09, 8:22 AM
    • 30th Sep 09, 8:22 AM
    I've withdrawn fron Freecycle because it became far too complicated. I kept receiving admin. emails which were full of inconsistencies.

Much better for me is our local web-based service FREEUSE, run by N.W.Leics. District Council. It's simple, monitored by the council,and it works for me.
    • koru
    • By koru 30th Sep 09, 9:50 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    koru
    • 30th Sep 09, 9:50 AM
    • 30th Sep 09, 9:50 AM
    Just thought I would let you know that Martin is right about being able to start a business for free with the use of sites like Freecycle.

I have had a few emails from people on my own site (freesources.co.uk) asking about using Freecycle.org to source stock for eBay shops and online sites. This seems a bit of a no brainer however it does not sit well with me that you are profiting of someone else's generosity.

The ethos of Freecycle is to donate something that someone needs and will use. The person donating gives in the knowledge that their cherished item will go to a good home whilst the recipient is grateful for a need being filled.

Think twice before pillaging freecycle for eBay stock.
    Originally posted by jyates
    On the other hand, I often get no replies when I offer items. I try to hang on and post again in a few weeks, but sometimes have to send it to the dump. I would rather it go to anyone, even if they will profit from it, rather than send it to landfill.

I would prefer to help a deserving cause, but my primary aim is recycling.

I would suggest that honest traders should reply making clear that they intend to resell the item, so that the offerer can make their own decision.
    koru
    • morg_monster
    • By morg_monster 30th Sep 09, 9:57 AM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 2,136 Thanks
    morg_monster
    • 30th Sep 09, 9:57 AM
    • 30th Sep 09, 9:57 AM
    I thought the ethos of freecycle was simply to keep stuff out of landfill? As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what people do with my freecycled stuff once its off my hands, as long as its not illegal and not dumped on landfill! If they want to make money on it, good on them, just cause I couldn't be bothered to carboot it or ebay it doesn't mean someone else shouldn't have a chance.

But I agree people should have the courtesy to say that they are planning to sell it when they contact the offerer. I'm sure there are some people that won't then consider them, and then some like me who don't mind either way.
    • John Stone
    • By John Stone 30th Sep 09, 10:27 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    John Stone
    • 30th Sep 09, 10:27 AM
    • 30th Sep 09, 10:27 AM
    I have had very little success with the recycling web sites. I have sought to give away numbers of items, ranging from electric typewriters to dishwashers, on them without success no response - nothing. Much better has been craigslist where I have been able to offer them for free and had responses within two days.

My advice is offer whatever you might be disposing of on your local recycling site but also go to craigslist.
    • koru
    • By koru 30th Sep 09, 11:50 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    koru
    • 30th Sep 09, 11:50 AM
    • 30th Sep 09, 11:50 AM
    My tip would be that it is amazing what people can find a use for, so give freecycle/freegle a try even with things you are sure will not be taken. It isn't just shiny, good condition, modern things that go. It only takes a minute to post an offer - much easier than an eBay listing, for instance.

As examples, I have had people who are delighted to take off my hands (and save me the bother of taking to the dump):
    • 10 central heating radiators that are 35 years old (to be used to make a simple solar power water heater)
    • room-size rolls of carpets that are 15 year old (from about six different rooms) - to be used by someone who was on benefits and trying to furnish their first flat
    • bits of wood from a dismantled wardrobe (to be used as stakes in an allotment)
    • a very old built-in oven

Sometimes it takes more than one try, but I would guess that someone takes 9 out of every 10 items that I offer.

If you have the builders in, doing a new kitchen or bathroom, think about what could be useable if it is taken out with a bit of care (instead of with a sledge hammer). I found my builders were willing to go out of their way to save things, once I had asked them not to just sling it in the skip. It might even mean you hire one less skip.
    koru
    • koru
    • By koru 30th Sep 09, 12:18 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    koru
    • 30th Sep 09, 12:18 PM
    • 30th Sep 09, 12:18 PM
    I thought the ethos of freecycle was simply to keep stuff out of landfill? As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what people do with my freecycled stuff once its off my hands, as long as its not illegal and not dumped on landfill! If they want to make money on it, good on them, just cause I couldn't be bothered to carboot it or ebay it doesn't mean someone else shouldn't have a chance.

But I agree people should have the courtesy to say that they are planning to sell it when they contact the offerer. I'm sure there are some people that won't then consider them, and then some like me who don't mind either way.
    Originally posted by morg_monster
    To me, there's multiple benefits.
    • People taking my stuff helps me keep it out of landfill.
    • As they are willing to reuse something instead of buying it new, that reduces demand for new manufacturing, which reduces the greenhouse gases that would have been emitted in manufacturing.
    • It saves me hiring a van to take bulky stuff to the tip.
    • It gives me a warm glow inside when I am helping someone who is obviously down on their luck (and reminds me how lucky I am that I am in the position to be giving away this stuff).
    koru
    • robnye
    • By robnye 30th Sep 09, 12:45 PM
    • 5,331 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    robnye
    whilst freecycle is the biggest (worldwide) , i dont think this article should be espousing mostly about it.......

there are plenty of other enviromentally consious groups - realcycle, freegle who are all UK based, whereas freecycle is controlled from the US - i think one of the moderating team (or even MSE team) - should look at the related articles about why the 180+ (40% membership) of uk freecycle groups split from the us freecycle to create the freegle network - http://www.ilovefreegle.org/
    Last edited by robnye; 30-09-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to....
  • badgerbuckets
    Freegle is UK BASED - Freeycle is NOT based in the UK OR UK run. There are a great number of UK run Freegle groups, and more are coming online all the time. The Freecycle Network as it is known, on the other hand, does NOT use Yahoo groups, ALL Freecycle groups are being moved to the US owned, US operated, and now 'sponsored' Freecycle Network.

I strongly recommend using Freegle and other UK based organisations rather than Freecycle, as the US owners/operators have no idea of geography and you may get someone from the other end of the country looking for your item!

That said, re-use groups really do work! We have passed on LOTS of items, and have been able to re-use many more - saving a LOT of money in the process. I even managed to track down a garden sycthe the other day, now I can clear my overgrown plot with ease - for free!

DON'T BIN - RECYCLE IT WITH FREEGLE!

WWW.ilovefreegle.org to find your local group!
  • competitionscafe
    There is an interesting article here which explains some of the background and the reason for the change to Freegle in the UK:

What went wrong with Freecycle in the UK?

Sarah Lewis
    30th September, 2009
    http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/329180/what_went_wrong_with_freecycle_in_the_uk.html
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 1st Oct 09, 5:47 AM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    The following thread night be helpful too...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1928581

Especially post #42

:-)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • Clueless969
    • By Clueless969 2nd Oct 09, 12:13 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Clueless969
    Hi folks - with regard to the Freecycle/Freegle choice, whilst Freecycle is still up and runnig the UK has recently become rapidly disenchanted with the US way of doing things and a lot of the UK groups have now broken away as Freegle. Many thought this was a flash in the pan but it seems not and I have no wish to debate the politics (I am just a Freegler and have nothing to do with the running or ownership)

The split has been so successful that almost 50% of the UK Freecycle membership has made the move. Accurate figures can be found at ilovefreegle.org 900,000 members and 194 groups as I write this from a pre-split UK total of 2,000,000 members and 509 groups. For those that haven't picked up on the other figures, the UK had 10% of the Freecycle membership before the split and conducted around 27% of the activity.

Personally, I am wholly behind this taking back of the groups, having felt that we have been trying to fit into a mould made for an American way of thinking - no jokes please about that last bit being an oxymoron.
    • andygodwin
    • By andygodwin 2nd Oct 09, 10:00 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    andygodwin
    re council run refuse sites
    this seems like a good thread to get a definite answer to my long unanswered question of:

can anyone tell me why 'supposedly' it is illegal to take anything out of the council run tip skips, i occasionally get away with it but the guys down the tip go nuts if they see you, and now wandsworth tip has signs all over the place saying they'll prosecute. is it just because the workers want it themselves?

as all have discussed on this thread it is such a waste to see anything usefull getting mashed up in the landfill skips.

thanks all
  • Welshwoofs
    Ok, as a member of Stroud Freegle (nee Freecycle), let me get one thing straight for the people who runs these groups...

• Punters like me, don't give a flying ferret about these silly little 'town council' style political tiffs with Freecycle
    • Punters like me care about only 4 things:
    1. A 'community recycling' list with good participation
    2. A 'community recycling' list platform which is easy to use and has good user preferences
    3. A 'community recycling' list which has the things you need
    4. A 'community recycling' list which enables you to quickly offload the things you don't want
    As a punter of Stroud Freegle I am personally sick to death of this 'he said', 'she said' bickering and the erroneous assumption from the people running groups on both sides of the divide that most of their members actually give a flying crap. As someone who runs online communities for her living, I can say for a fact that this is exactly what happens when you get moderators with far too much time on their hands!
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
    • Lakeuk
    • By Lakeuk 3rd Oct 09, 2:43 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Lakeuk
    this seems like a good thread to get a definite answer to my long unanswered question of:

can anyone tell me why 'supposedly' it is illegal to take anything out of the council run tip skips, i occasionally get away with it but the guys down the tip go nuts if they see you, and now wandsworth tip has signs all over the place saying they'll prosecute. is it just because the workers want it themselves?
    Originally posted by andygodwin
    Alot of council tip waste has value which go back into council funds, a local contract firm and staff who ran our local tip on behalf of our council were recently found guilty of defrauding the council/local tax payer by putting aside metal to sell for their own gain.

A neighbouring council currently has an ongoing fraud case relating to recycling.
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 5th Oct 09, 1:25 AM
    • 7,388 Posts
    • 11,159 Thanks
    cally6008
    I use Freeshare and find it brilliant. It is quiet on some of the Freeshare groups so I guess I'm lucky that the two groups local to me are rather busy ones.

• janusdesign
    • By janusdesign 5th Oct 09, 3:21 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    janusdesign
    I subscribed to the local freecycle yahoo group... received the welcome etiquette emails and received the posts from others - but can't post myself either via email or the site... new users posts are checked... that's fine, but its been a month and I still can't post - emails to the moderator/owners go unanswered... so i've just unsubscribed (hopefully thats automated)...

i'll throw the stuff I wanted to get rid off into the wheelie bin - a shame, but I tried.
  • KAYLA
    Hi, Just to let others know - Most of my areas Freecycle mods have parted company with Freecycle due to issues about USA based policies - They have re-grouped under the umberella names of "Freegle".

Hope this is of use to other users.

Thanks for listening.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,998Posts Today

6,175Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Regardless of party, a little bit (the naughty bit) of me wonders aren't we always better off if they can't get thru all their plans! #bbcqt

• RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Follow Martin