IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Rubbish husband
Views: 1,312
# 1
confuseddad
Old 21-09-2009, 1:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Rubbish husband

hello guys. I have a wonderful wife who does all the cooking and is always on to me to cook. Can you suggest a site or some basic recipes that i could surprise her with. Not to confident in the pots and pans area but going to give it a go.

We are vegaterians.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to confuseddad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Quillion
Old 21-09-2009, 1:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello and welcome.

How advanced are you ?

There are lots of recipies you can do

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...tarian+recipes

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...tarian+recipes

That should help you out and if your stuck come back and ask questions. Good luck and remember even beans on toast is great when you don't have to make it yourself xx
Officially Debt Free Nov 2012
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quillion For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Seakay
Old 21-09-2009, 2:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Borrow "Cheap and Easy" by Rose Elliot from the library - it's a great book full of simple vegetarian recipes, and also tells you how to cut down recipes for four to two or one if you want to.
If you get on with her style then you might want to invest in your own copy!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...sr=8-1&seller=
The Following User Says Thank You to Seakay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
juliapenguin
Old 21-09-2009, 2:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I agree with Seakay but this edition is cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...ef=ed_oe_p_olp

It's a wonderful book - everything is so simple and really delicious.
The Following User Says Thank You to juliapenguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Chris25
Old 21-09-2009, 2:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

http://www.ehow.com/video_2335046_in...n-recipes.html step-by-step easy veggie dishes

I think you've already proved you're not a rubbish husband
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mummysaver
Old 21-09-2009, 2:55 PM

What sort of food do you both enjoy eating? If there is anything particular you'd like help with then just post and someone will happily give you step by step instructions if you need them!

Veggie dishes that are simple are lasagne, bolognese, mexican style food, stir fries, curry, lots of help and recipes available on here, and everyone is very helpful if you ask questions!
# 7
Dave101t
Old 21-09-2009, 2:58 PM

veggies eh? well at least you dont have to worry about undercooking the food! the bbc web site has alot of good cookery advice
Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
# 8
Boodle
Old 21-09-2009, 3:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think that wanting to pull your weight is far from being a "rubbish husband"

I would recommend a look at Cas Clarke's recipe books - try your local library for a copy before splashing out (even though they are usually only a couple of quid on Amazon etc). And I second Quillion's beans on toast comment
Love and compassion to all x
# 9
Halloway
Old 21-09-2009, 3:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I learnt to cook veggie from the original Cranks book (not the 'Entertaining with...' book.)
# 10
Caterina
Old 21-09-2009, 4:45 PM

Hi

first of all congratulations, you don't sound rubbish at all, the rubbish ones are the ones who refuse to help, not someone who just does not have experience, and you sound so willing! Well done!

Anyway, the cheapest way to get vegetarian and vegan recipes is to approach the Vegetarian Society http://www.vegsoc.org/
The Vegan society http://www.vegansociety.com/home.php
Viva http://www.viva.org.uk/
They all have amazingly varied info online but also can send you out hard copy booklets with simple and easy recipes.

Best of luck!

Caterina
Living a simple life in a complicated world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caterina For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
23rdspiral
Old 21-09-2009, 4:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

bravo you! i agree that asking for help and wanting to help her out is FAR from useless. she's lucky.

i've some good veggie cookbooks, but when i want simple inspiration, i always go back to the Really Easy Student Cook Book. whilst you're at the library, see if they have any student cookbooks. i still use mine from 10yrs ago - they are good because they focus things you probably have in already and on easy to prepare things, with a large selection of vegetarian meals, so may be a good place to start out with cooking...

good luck!
Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
# 12
geordie joe
Old 21-09-2009, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuseddad View Post
hello guys. I have a wonderful wife who does all the cooking and is always on to me to cook. Can you suggest a site or some basic recipes that i could surprise her with. Not to confident in the pots and pans area but going to give it a go.

We are vegaterians.

Thanks
Don't do it, that's her job! Once you start that there'll be no end to it. Next she will be on at you to do the dishes, then the washing, then the ironing, then the hoovering.

Now, were's me tin hat?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geordie joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Whitefiver
Old 21-09-2009, 7:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How about "Old Scrote" - plenty of useful recipes and advice.

Regards,

White
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whitefiver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Stephen Leak
Old 21-09-2009, 7:28 PM

I've got loads of easy, bloke-friendly recipes that could fit the bill.

If you like Italian, I could do you a complete 3-course meal, with only the main course actually needing any cooking. If required, I even have a recipe for the pasta!

Last edited by Stephen Leak; 21-09-2009 at 7:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Leak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
zippychick
Old 22-09-2009, 12:25 AM

Stephen - do it! That sounds great. Lovin the bloke friendly bit he he. I'll keep an eye, and if you post it up, we can add it to the Complete vegetarian collection
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

# 16
Stephen Leak
Old 22-09-2009, 1:17 AM

We are here to serve ...

1. The starter ...

MOZZARELLA & TOMATO SALAD

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

100g packet of Mozzarella cheese
1 large beef tomato
1 small bunch of fresh basil
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Ground pepper to taste

METHOD

Open the pack of cheese and drain off the liquid. Wash the tomato. Wash and chop the basil.

Cut the cheese into an equal number of slices. Cut off the top and bottom off of the tomato, and then cut it into an equal number of slices.

Arrange the cheese and tomato on two small plates, overlapping the slices. Sprinkle on the chopped basil. Dribble on the olive oil. Season with the pepper.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use extra virgin olive oil for preference, but normal olive oil will do.

Add a sweet Spanish onion. Peel it, cut off the top and bottom, and then cut it into an equal number of slices. Add some stoned olives.

Serve with ciabatta or focaccia bread.

2. The main course ...

PASTA

Per Person

INGREDIENTS

At least 250ml of water
¼ of a teaspoon of salt
100g of pasta*

METHOD

Put the water and salt into a saucepan on a medium heat. Bring to the boil. Add the pasta. Stir it to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pan. Bring back to the boil and continue to cook. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

Begin testing the pasta about 2 minutes before the packet instructions say it should be done. The best way to judge if pasta is cooked is to bite it. This is tricky, because if you fish out a bit and stick in your mouth you may burn your mouth on the boiling water. Wait a bit and blow on it, then bite it. If it is hard it needs longer. If it is chewy (or ‘al dente’, Italian for ‘to the teeth’) it is ready. If it is soft it is overcooked.

Drain the pasta in a sieve or colander.

TIPS

If you use enough water, add the pasta when the water is boiling, stir the pasta frequently and don’t wander off (‘Gli spaghetti amano la compagnia’, or ‘spaghetti loves company’) and don’t overcook it, adding olive oil to the water to stop it sticking is totally unnecessary.

... and ...

ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE

Enough for pasta for 2

INGREDIENTS
2 cloves of garlic
2 onions
2 tablespoons of olive oil
400g tin of plum tomatoes*
140g tin of tomato puree
2 teaspoons of mixed herbs (or some left-over chopped basil from the starter)
Ground pepper to taste

METHOD

Peel the garlic and chop it into tiny pieces. Peel the onions and chop them into tiny pieces.

Put the oil into a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Fry the garlic and onion for about 4 to 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

Open the tin of tomatoes. Put the juice into the pan. Chop the tomatoes while they are still in the can (it’s easier than chasing them around the pan). Put the chopped tomatoes into the pan.

Add the tomato puree and herbs. Continue to cook, stirring as the mixture boils. Continue to cook, stirring as the mixture boils, until the sauce has reduced.

Season with the pepper.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use basil instead of the mixed herbs.

Add a glass of wine and cook for a bit longer. Or (in memory of Keith Floyd) drink the glass of wine and cook for the same time.

In Italy, an oil-based tomato sauce (or sugo in Italian) like this would be traditionally served with a plain pasta, such as penne or spaghetti.

Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and a bit more ciabatta or focaccia bread to mop up the sauce.

TIPS

Always "take the pasta to the sauce". Put the cooked pasta in the pan with the sauce and stir together until thoroughly coated.

HOW TO CHOP AN ONION QUICKLY, SO IT DOESN’T MAKE YOU CRY

See http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/10...pping-an-onion

Chop the top off the onion. Cut it in half. Peel it. Discard the brown layers until you are left with the white of the onion. Take one half of the onion and make about 2 or 3 horizontal cuts. Then cut down vertically, holding the onion together as you chop. Turn the onion with the flat end facing the knife and chop downwards with a slicing motion to create a finely chopped onion. Discard the root. Repeat the process on the second half, if required.

* Plum tomatoes can be used either whole or chopped. It is difficult to stick chopped tomatoes back together again if you need to use them whole.

And finally ...

ICE CREAM

Yes, I know this is a bit of a cheat, but I have my reasons. Firstly, let's not push the OP's luck. Secondly, if you serve three scoops, of mint, vanilla and strawberry, ie. the colours of the Italian flag, your reputation as a culinary genius is as good as guaranteed. Also, finally, if the lady has eaten enough, it can be dispensed with, or even taken elsewhere, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Stephen Leak; 22-09-2009 at 1:57 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Leak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
confuseddad
Old 22-09-2009, 8:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Cheers everyone. Going away this weekend. So going to get me finger out and do a meal next weekend on the sunday prehaps.

Bottle of wine, maybe a candle or two. Dim the lights. Might even Light the fire!!!!
# 18
Woofles
Old 22-09-2009, 9:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just a passing thought before I go and attack some pots.

Risotto - quick , simple and can be made with the usual store cupboard standbys, rice, (obviously), onion, peas, mushrooms. Only needs one pan, 'cos us women hate it when it looks as if the third world war has erupted in our kitchen, and nearly looks after itself. Make it your signature dish and once you've got the hang of it the variations are endless.
# 19
RachelW1987
Old 22-09-2009, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Veggie Mossaka is good too!!

Also Pasta always goes down a treat with lots of lovely peppers and mushrooms and tomatoes