Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > no of nights visitor can stay without benefits be... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
no of nights visitor can stay without benefits being affected??
Closed Thread
Views: 9,976
# 1
wilf55
Old 09-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default no of nights visitor can stay without benefits being affected??

please ...does anyone know how many nights a friend can stay without it affecting my single occupancy council tax...housing benefit or income support

many thanks

Last edited by wilf55; 09-05-2006 at 11:21 AM. Reason: mistake
# 2
ministox5
Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default number of nights

I think its three
# 3
Scarlett1
Old 09-05-2006, 11:31 AM

Apparently its none, sorry cant remember who told me, think it was the housing benefit officer who comes round once a year, not that I have anyone staying over :confused:
# 4
melt71
Old 09-05-2006, 11:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Why does it make a difference if they are not contributing to the household finances! If they are a guest they should be able to stay as long as you like (within reason obviously) without having your hand slapped by the council tax/HB people.

I can't claim HB or CTB but I'm glad I don't as it sounds a real pain in the bum! I have my parents visiting me sometimes for 3 or 4 days, last summer they came for a week! If I was claiming HB or CTB would this have meant that I would have lost benefits?? Madness.
Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
# 5
singlehouseholder
Old 09-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

you could ring your local Benefit office and check with them?? - it depends on what you mean by a, "friend."Depends where they sleep, what meals they eat, whether any chores are carried out together, who pays for groceries,it isn't just a case of saying, he/she stays 3 nights so thats ok...Its always best to check with them to find out- judging by some of the posts on here!! its sometimes best to pop a letter in the post, just informing the DWP, that you have a friend over to stay several nights a week or whatever- as there are some malicous folk out there, who may well contact the fraud dept to snitch on you. Whether you or doing wrong or right!!!Best to keep them informed of whats going on, that way, you're covering yourself.
# 6
Fran
Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf55
please ...does anyone know how many nights a friend can stay without it affecting my single occupancy council tax...housing benefit or income support

many thanks
Your talking about 3 different organisations here so they will differ.

It depends as well what you mean by a "visitor". If it's a potential partner or a new partner then that will clearly affect all three. It's hard to get a defining figure on this I don't think I've seen it written down. If it is this situation then you would probably be all right to start of with, eg. the first 2 or 3 months, but it depends on how you are seen by neighbours and whether they've got their possessions in your place. However if they have their own place then I seem to remember that they can't be seen as living with you. Sorry not being very definite here!

If it's a friend who's temporarily staying with you again it's only when it's habit/ a prolonged period.

You'd have to inform them all seperately.
Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Utilities, Small biz and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
# 7
sleepy
Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Don't know about housing benefit or income support, but until last summer I worked in Council Tax. So long as the friend is paying council tax (or registered for it and getting council tax benefit to pay it) at a different address then they won't be classed as living with you and your single person reduction will still stand, the logic being that you can't have more than one primary address.
# 8
missk_ensington
Old 09-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Not sure if this has been said but I was told last year it was 2 nights (them being weekends, although it doesn't have to be used then) I think they acceot you might want a friend/boyfriend/girlfriend to stay over at weekend and this is allowed.
# 9
Fran
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missk_ensington
Not sure if this has been said but I was told last year it was 2 nights (them being weekends, although it doesn't have to be used then) I think they acceot you might want a friend/boyfriend/girlfriend to stay over at weekend and this is allowed.
No it's not "2 nights", it's not as simple as that as other posters have pointed out, also as post before yours said re council tax.

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Utilities, Small biz and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
# 10
missk_ensington
Old 09-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Perhaps not, I think the OP is asking in relation to Income support though not Council tax. The question is essentially, at what point are you defined as 'co-habiting' ?

At the end of the day, unless they camp outside your door with a camera they're never gonna know, so long as he/she isn't contributing to your household income I dont see the problem. When I was on Income Support my boyfriend stayed over varying days week to week, sometimes just one, other time 4-5 depending on how busy we were. No one even noticed, and he weren't contributing anyway
# 11
Fran
Old 09-05-2006, 12:29 PM

This thread has links to other threads where this has been discussed before, sorry I haven't got time to look through them for the answer! They can be found under FAQ's.

# 12
wilf55
Old 09-05-2006, 12:35 PM

Default i rang them and...

its a grey area i was told it just depends if it is a permenant thing...

this was housing ben and ctb they did not know what criteria came into force as to when permenant was!!!

thats why i asked here

thanks everyone
# 13
singlehouseholder
Old 09-05-2006, 3:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You'd be better off ringing the Income Support section though Wilf55, they should really be aware of the legislation that's in place to inform you of when a "change of circumstances" would need to take place. Sadly it isnt a case of them "camping outside your door" with a camera. All it takes is for 1 person to see you and your friend, put two and two together come up with 5 and get in touch with the DWP. This is how potentially people end up with overpayments- you're better safe than sorry Wilf, they won't accept ignorance as an excuse.If you're worried, you could just ring them up and say you're ringing on behalf of a friend who has a query.
# 14
the devil made me do it
Old 09-05-2006, 3:21 PM

This is the most stupidest rule of them all.

It's crap that you can't have someone stay at your house for a while without feeling your doing something wrong. It stinks.
# 15
singlehouseholder
Old 09-05-2006, 3:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Dont really think its a stupid rule? it could be that you're, say a single person who doesn't work and claims benefit, then you have a partner with a fantastic wage, who kindly pays all your bills, buys all your food, takes you on holiday- meets every expense you could incurr. Even though he only stays a few nights a week, he is still considered as fully supporting the household. Dont think that it woyuld be fair for one person to have benefit and all that financial support, and another to have to survive on benefit alone- if you know what I mean?? There has to be some kind of cut off point, don't you think?
# 16
the devil made me do it
Old 09-05-2006, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlehouseholder
Dont really think its a stupid rule? it could be that you're, say a single person who doesn't work and claims benefit, then you have a partner with a fantastic wage, who kindly pays all your bills, buys all your food, takes you on holiday- meets every expense you could incurr. Even though he only stays a few nights a week, he is still considered as fully supporting the household. Dont think that it woyuld be fair for one person to have benefit and all that financial support, and another to have to survive on benefit alone- if you know what I mean?? There has to be some kind of cut off point, don't you think?

At the end of the day tho', the responsibility still lies with the person whos name is on everything.
And i suppose it's up to the individual to be sure how stable a relationship is and do the right thing.
# 17
Anthillmob
Old 09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett1
Apparently its none, sorry cant remember who told me, think it was the housing benefit officer who comes round once a year, not that I have anyone staying over :confused:
indeed.

acording to our fraud office everyone thinks its three but in fact there isnt an amount/number. however if they can proove someone living there is contributing towards householed costs or is a partner and it can be prooved they are living there ermanently then you could owe back money.
# 18
Anthillmob
Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

so in other words be honest. as previously mentioned it only takes one person to get the wrong end of the stick and report you.

since dec 05 (i believe) same sex couples are now treated as partners. im not saying or assuming you are but if your friend is the same sex it would only take one person again to maybe get the totally wrong end of the stick here and report you.

i hope you dont think im being out of line.

in the case of benefits, honesty is the best policy to save any heartache/wallet ache further down the line.

usually a written letter will suffice with any proof you deem necessary, they may write for more though.
# 19
WestieFan
Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlehouseholder
it could be that you're, say a single person who doesn't work and claims benefit, then you have a partner with a fantastic wage, who kindly pays all your bills, buys all your food, takes you on holiday- meets every expense you could incurr. Even though he only stays a few nights a week, he is still considered as fully supporting the household.
Jeezo, where do you get a partner like that? Anybody know??
# 20
the devil made me do it
Old 10-05-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieFan
Jeezo, where do you get a partner like that? Anybody know??

exactly, you have read my mind
Closed Thread