Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 8th May 06, 12:35 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    0 WOW
    Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips
    • 8th May 06, 12:35 PM
    0 WOW
    Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips 8th May 06 at 12:35 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss

Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting

To report your tips and experiences: click reply

To discuss contact lenses: click here

To read the Contact Lens and Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Article: click here
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 16-06-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 42
    • Rian
    • By Rian 22nd Jan 16, 7:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rian
    I spoke to someone I work with who had their eyes done at the OE in Southampton 4 weeks ago. He told me they quoted him 4400 for both eyes as his pupils were so big. said it was too much and then they dropped it to £3500 by saying they can give some historic deal but he said he would think about it. A few days after head office called him and offered 24 months interest free finance but he said he wasn't interested as he had cash up front, they then offered him the surgury for £2995 which he accepted.

He told me the procedure its self is Horrendous but he would do it again if he had to. He described the procedure saying they put immense pressure on your eyes to start with. After this you want to close your eyes but they are clamped open, next a laser comes over and it looks like the surgeon is flicking something over. There's a smell of burning and afterward he said his eyes were streaming (quite literally fried your eyes). He said he went home to sleep and the next day he could see perfectly and went back to work. He said he still gets dry eyes now but he has some drops to put in.

Thought I'd share this as the price will magically come down for you Chris. Will update tomorrow again, looking forward to your review of optimax .
    • Stonedofmoo
    • By Stonedofmoo 25th Jan 16, 12:56 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Stonedofmoo
    2nd consultation
    Hi all

Update #2

I had my second consultation at Optimax on Saturday in Southampton. For those that saw my previous post I was already aware I was suitable for Lasik following my Optical Express appointment on Tuesday, I'm visiting the three laser surgery providers in my area to see what they are like, and to reach the best price.

So Optimax were also impressive. Once again friendly staff and a nice atmosphere. I felt their Optometrist took more time over answering questions and being transparent on the risks. He talked me through everything carefully, and used a computer to demonstrate the surgery and what it was doing to my eye.
    OE kinda rattled through this aspect with a cheesy video so top marks for Optimax.

I felt confident I would get good treatment with Optimax and so we reach the important part on these forums - the price.
    So they came in straight away at £3380 which was significantly cheaper than OE who quoted £4800 for their best treatment, also to sweeten the deal they were prepared to knock £500 off the price if I booked for the 29th January which is a week away bringing the price down to £2880. I ignored the date to be honest as that's an obvious sales ploy to get me to sign up immediately and told them I was shopping around.

So I know immediately that Optimax can and will go down to £2880 and as I travelled home, they left a further message saying they had spoken to their manager and they would offer a further £100 discount on any competitors next best offer.

I need to speak to OE now as their quote looks ridiculous compared to the competition. I also have managed to book an appointment at the third option in my area which is Optegra this afternoon which came up as a last minute cancellation on Saturday. I'll see what they are like and then make a decision.

I'll keep you all updated.

Chris
    • Stonedofmoo
    • By Stonedofmoo 28th Jan 16, 8:00 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Stonedofmoo
    Update #3 - Surgery booked!
    Hi guys

Been a while since I updated with my progress. So events have developed fast.
    Firstly I made my third and final appointment at local eye care hospital Optegra. I knew from their website that their treatment was priced at £3600 which was pricey, but I'd also discovered they have a price match guarantee in their T&Cs (which have some conditions, so read them first).

I was very pleased with my appointment at Optegra. They appeared a very professional organisation and the staff, and appearance was classy and reassuring. It's also apparent they deal with far more than simple laser surgery and one other thing which may be small, but they have parking on site!! (The other's didn't)

You have a consultation with the actual surgeon who will carry out your surgery and while I wont mention names, he came across as experienced and professional. Interestingly he works at Southampton General hospital, and runs his own business, but chooses to consult for Optegra as well. He claims he likes the company, equipment and how they operate.

In essence I liked everything I saw, but chatting to his PA for booking she wasn't certain they would price match against Optimax or Optical Express because her view was that being a hospital Optegra offers a level of service that the other two do not

The following day I got a call from Optimax and a lovely lady basically wasted no time in bringing down the price they had quoted on Saturday. I told her straight that I was looking for value for money, and intended to get the best quote, and to save time she simply went and spoke to her manager and came back with a fantastic quote below £2500. I was really pleased with this, not only did it show good faith from them, it saved lot's of hassle.

It's a good thing Optimax did that because I got her quote in writing and then called Optical Express and was surprised to be told that Optical Express "have a policy of not price matching" which is odd as this thread indicates otherwise.

Their price of £4800 stands, and while they could offer a few hundred off via vouchers and special offers that would be as low as they go. Asking why they were so expensive I was given some sales nonsense tbh, with their service compared to that of a rolls royce, and Optimax a nissan micra as well as statements like their consultants were the best in the country, and they paid them a lot of money to keep that talent in house, plus their equipment was the very best. All of this was used to explain why their surgery cost literally double!

Now you can decide for yourself if that's true or not when you see them, but frankly I wasn't impressed with that sales pitch and it didn't add up. I liked the people I met at OE but to be honest having met the staff at the other two sites it was actually OE's pitch and consultation which was the weakest and on reflection very rushed. Their sales pitch at the end was just silly and unnecessary and I didn't like the way they kept trying to cast the others in a bad light. Neither Optimax or Optegra had tried such tactics, and simply left it for me to make up my own mind and see where I felt most comfortable

Finally Optical Expresses refusal to consider price matching at any level cost them my business. Perhaps other branches give a different experience, so keep an open mind.

So there I was all set to go to Optimax when I thought I would pitch to Optegra and see if they would price match with Optimax. I didn't hold out hope, and truth be told I would happily have gone to either one of them, but Optegra got the nod for me just because geographically it's far closer to where I live which makes it easier.

Anyhow the PA at Optegra said she would need to speak to her manager, and to my surprise came back today and said they would be able to price match with Optimax which was amazing news as Optegra is perfect for me.

Now you're probably wondering what that price was, and sorry to tease but I'll hold that back until I've had the surgery but I will say it was less than £2500, and my eyes are roughly -4.25 in each with pretty bad astigmatisms.
    Needless to say I was happy with the price and very happy with both Optegra and Optimax.
    I liked both and would happily go with either one.

One thing I will say is my experiences clearly show it is worth trying them all in your area. OK it's bit of hassle, but it's an expensive surgery and those quotes keep tumbling once they know you are going to play the game.
    I know a couple of people who have had laser surgery and required far less correction than I need, and both of them paid £500-600+ more than I am because they didn't think to haggle. If they had needed my level of correction it looks like they could have paid £1000 more than they needed too.

Also I'm also tempted to call another branch of Optical Express and see if they continue the company line of they don't price match. It seems unlikely,after all there's plenty of happy OE customers in this thread,and with this being the MSE forums I doubt they all handed over nearly £5k!!

Anyhow I'll update again once I'm done, gotta wait until March for the surgery due to my own commitments. Good luck!
    Last edited by Stonedofmoo; 28-01-2016 at 8:15 PM.
    • Rian
    • By Rian 30th Jan 16, 8:27 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rian
    I got an independent check and after careful consideration I decided laser is not for me. You only get one set of eyes and there is always some risk. Good luck Chris I hope it all goes well.
    • MrsMopnot
    • By MrsMopnot 31st Mar 16, 7:22 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MrsMopnot
    Cut the risks not costs!
    Can’t believe people are more concerned about the cost than the risks

Looks like an advertising fest on these pages - especially for Optimax and Optical Express.

I recommend you google OERML & Sasha Rodoy before putting your eyes in the hands of any of these surgeons!
    • Stonedofmoo
    • By Stonedofmoo 31st Mar 16, 8:42 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Stonedofmoo
    Actually I'm glad that last post popped up, reminded me to finish my entries.

So I had my Lasik surgery at Optegra a couple of weeks back and everything went brilliantly. No pain whatsoever, and 48 hours later I was back at work with vision comparable to my glasses before.

I cannot say what other high street brands or hospitals are like, but for me Optegra were the right choice and I'll be adding my name to their excellent trustpilot scores.

At the end of the day I would agree with the comment about about the costs. Getting the right surgeon is important and everyone needs to make that choice for themselves; but at the same time don't be a sucker either. All these places charge a lot of money because they know people will convince themselves they need to pay the most money to get the best surgery.

Optegra's standard price for my surgery is around £3600. I haggled and got them down to £2390 by using their price match guarantee against my Optimax quote which I was very happy with. Don't think they are making a loss at that price or they wouldn't have done it.

Their Hampshire hospital is clean and everything felt first rate. Worth noting is Optegra is where Bupa and private health care firms send their patients so this isn't so mickey mouse operation. My surgeon is a consultant for them and also works at Southampton general and has his own business in the field so we're not talking some amateur. He told me he consults for Optegra because he likes how they work and the equipment they use is of a high standard.

2 weeks on my vision is tremendous. It's so strange waking up and not reaching for glasses. At my one week check up I had a prescription of 0.00 (no correct needed) in one eye, and 0.25 on the other which considering my very high prescription before is amazing.

It's early days but at this stage I have no regrets. I've just booked a trip to center parcs later this year, and I cannot wait to go into the pool with the kids and be able to see everything that's going on with 20/20 vision - amazing after 25 years of terrible eye sight.

Good luck to anyone else that considers getting their eyes done

Chris
    • britgal
    • By britgal 7th Apr 16, 7:30 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    britgal
    I didn't find a way to actively save money, but I can say it was the best thing I have done!
    • Stonedofmoo
    • By Stonedofmoo 10th May 16, 7:43 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Stonedofmoo
    Just had my final check up, end result is even better than I could possible have dreamed of, as I can now unaided just about make out the very smallest line of text in a sight test meaning I have phenomenal acuity, rated at 20/13 vision.

So happy with how everything went and was glad I made the decision to go ahead!
    Last edited by Stonedofmoo; 26-05-2016 at 7:36 AM.
    • MrsMopnot
    • By MrsMopnot 25th May 16, 10:30 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MrsMopnot
    Optical Express Lifetime Aftercare
    Be warned - BBC Radio 4 'You & Yours' broadcast details today that Optical Express are refusing lifetime aftercare & giving only 12 months guarantee on major eye surgery!!

Google OERML for details and do serious research before you give your money to Optical Express
    • matt075
    • By matt075 22nd Jul 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    matt075
    Clinic recommendations?
    Hello!
    Can anyone recommend a cheap clinic in Europe that offers lasik eye surgery? I´m planning to go there soon and would like to get my eyes fixed as well. I found some on Medihub and Whatclinic but they both have a really narrow range of clinics.
    • Rubyred1011
    • By Rubyred1011 10th Sep 16, 12:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rubyred1011
    Optical Express
    Hi just about to go ahead next week with O E for £4200 when I discovered this forum. I will definitely be doing more research as regards price and results before I sign on the dotted line. I'm not too shy to haggle whilst not necessarily looking for cheap. Your eyesight is your eyesight. Thank you so much Chris reading your invaluable information has made me cancel my appointment until I'm happy I'm in the right place and I don't think O E is it.
    • Mohawk
    • By Mohawk 10th Sep 16, 1:43 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Mohawk
    Good luck Rubyred.

I got this done a few years ago. I can't remember the exact price, as my lovely parents paid for it. My dad thought it only right that they pay as I inherited his awful eyesight, while my brother inherited my mum's hawk vision. I did manage to wangle a 20% discount first!

There are risks, but if you are very short-sighted, then life is a bit of a risk. I was useless without glasses, and completely vulnerable if they broke. I had a chat with the surgeon before-hand, and we discussed how I'd feel if I still needed glasses afterwards, especially for driving or reading etc. I was able to honestly say that was OK, so long as I would be able to get around.

Thankfully, my post-operative vision is good enough I don't need glasses for those things. I am still very slightly short-sighted, but the astigmatism is pretty much gone, and most importantly, my eyes are even. As I age, I'll be able to buy reading glasses off the shelf! I had a complex prescription before, so glasses and contact lenses never could get me to 20/20, and my vision now is pretty much the equivalent of how it was before.

I'm not sure if I would have even considered surgery if my eyesight was <-5.0, and when I read about people with eyesight in the <-2.0 range doing it, I'm shocked, but I suppose everyone can only judge their own situation.

As I was in the very short-sighted category, with astigmatism, it took a little bit longer for my eyes to fully heal, and needed longer follow-up than standard, but I was still amazed at how quickly I could see. I had a slight complication, but it was resolved by using the steroid eye drops for a couple of weeks longer than standard. Some complications are more serious, but it's worth remembering that most complications are temporary. Just make sure you attend all of your follow-up appointments, and don't be scared to make an extra one if something doesn't feel right.

I went to Optical Express, and part of that decision was because they were handy for where I lived and worked. It made it easy for me to attend all of my follow-up appointments, and they were very good at seeing me when I thought they didn't 'feel right'. This was all part of the price.

You'll be told this, but make sure you've got some good sunglasses for wearing in the period after you get your eyes done, and you may find it takes longer for your night vision to return. Not such a problem at this time of year, but something to consider if you are reliant on driving at night.

In very crude terms, the more correction your eyes need, and the bigger your pupils, the greater the problems with night vision. The modern techniques are much better at dealing with that, but it's worth chatting to them about it. The older, and cheaper, methods aren't so good for this, so it's something to consider, and if often forgotten about when people talk about prescriptions and whether or not they are 20/20.

The other factor is that if you drive with glasses, or even contact lenses, you can get a bit of a starburst effect from them.
    • StixUK
    • By StixUK 18th Sep 16, 12:20 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    StixUK
    Hello,

I have decided to take the dive and research and get Laser Eye Surgery and have been along to my 1st consultation with Optical Express (OE) in Exeter today, which was a pleasant an eye-opening (pun) experience.

It was a modern environment with all the feelings of a private dental surgery doing NHS dentistry.

I have had the whole gubbings given to me; sales patter, cheesy video and success stories, but I must say as first impressions go, I really enjoyed the 90 minutes I was having my consultation for and felt as though it was done in a professional manner and everything was explained to me thoroughly and all my questions answered.

I was also quoted a ridiculously high price and way above what Accuvision, Bristol are offering at the moment.

My quote was £4,300 for the top of the range LASIK treatment with all the Wavefront i-design stuff. I wanted LASIK though due to the better healing times and supposedly safer experience.

I have a consultation booked with Accuvision on Wednesday in Bristol as they currently have an offer of £800 per/eye if you take their top treatment, so is certainly very appealing compared to OE.

I have a further consultation with Optimax in mid-October as they offer a fixed price of around £1,695 per/eye for their top treatment.

I am guilty of being taken in by impressive marketing and OE really do make you feel that their equipment is the best in the world and it was claimed that the iDesign machine is worth £1m and no other Laser Surgery provider has one. They claim to offer 60% of all Laser Eye Surgery within the UK and Exeter appear to be fully booked through to January 2017 based on ONE surgery day per/month.

Based on what I have read on this thread though, it seems I need to play these lot against each other. I explained to the guy at OE that I have done my research and will be shopping around and I was instantly told to ring him direct after my consultation on Wednesday to see how I felt and he will speak to his Area Manager and do a price reduction but he has made me very aware that £1600 will not be matched due to the superior processes they employ and the better quality equipment.

So, in summary, I definitely want this done but I will get my other consultations done and see what happens...
    Last edited by StixUK; 18-09-2016 at 12:22 AM.
    • StixUK
    • By StixUK 24th Sep 16, 5:55 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    StixUK
    2nd Consultation with Accuvision
    So I have recently had my second consultation out of the three and I chose to go to Accuvision in Cotham Hill, Bristol.

I was seen by Optometrist, Johann Panthakey and he was waiting for me at the Reception Desk and my initial impressions were very favourable. He immediately reassured me with his demeanour and the way he spoke to me from greeting to leading me into the consultation room.

My consultation was very efficient and Mr Panthakey explain everything fully to me and even let me look at the screen and explained in layman terms, the results.

It turned out that I am having to have my surgery in either, Solihull or London and I have been given a selection of dates, which include Saturday's.

I was told that I qualify for a Summer Offer, which drew me to them in the first place, for £800 per/eye with their LASIK Wavefront Technology.

All my questions were answered thoroughly and I was very impressed by their concern for my well-being after the surgery, as I wanted to go and travel to do it by myself, but they almost point blank refused to let me do it unless I had someone with me due to the possible sensitivity after surgery; this to me is a good sign.

All in all, I have one more consultation with Optimax on Friday, 14th October and I will be going to that one to get my final impressions and evaluate all 3 of the surgery providers I may use.

Currently, Accuvision have won me over and I think Optimax will find it hard to beat them. Accuvision have the price and quality of care from what I have seen. Optical Express seem too corporate to me and I have received a follow up call that seemed to bend the truth and tell me that nowhere else could do the surgery as I have large pupils (?), sounds suspicious to me.

I will post again once I have had my consultation at Optimax and make my final choice.
    • Stonedofmoo
    • By Stonedofmoo 21st Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Stonedofmoo
    Update
    Just as a quick update. 6 months later and I'm still over the moon with my surgery results. My vision is fantastic, night vision is perfect (no starbursts) and the glare I used to get on sunny days that required me to wear sunglasses in bright weather has diminished to the point this summer I hardly needed them.

It's life changing in short and I'd understand why anyone wouldn't want tto take he risk, but stepping into Center Parcs swimming pool last week and being able to see perfectly made it all worth while.

RubyRed: I hope it all works out for you
    • MARKMAKAVELI
    • By MARKMAKAVELI 12th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    MARKMAKAVELI
    I have a low prescription, healthy eyes etc.

OE quoted me for Lasik - £3390 - £500 refer a friend = £2990

2 friends (both high prescriptions and complications) had it done 1yr & 9yrs ago and paid £1995 & £2190 respectively.

I've explained this to OE and they won't budge. Tried telling me cost depends on the prescription and even if it was based on that, I'm in great shape for it so would be cheaper.
    Optegra said that's rubbish too.

Now I'm booked in with Optegra who say they price match.
    Really was happy with OE until they started !!!!!!!!ting me on the sales side of things.
    Very disappointing.
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 22nd Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 9,566 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    Just so you all know the refer a friend discount is still working! £50 top the referrer and between £250 - £500 off treatment (seems it depends who you speak to at Optimax!)

If anyone wants a referral ID code, mine is:

18283306 or PM me for more info.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin