IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
A Money Saving Wedding - A challenge
Closed Thread
Views: 2,391
# 1
b_allcott1976
Old 14-09-2009, 11:59 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default A Money Saving Wedding - A challenge

Well at 33 I have finally decided to take the plunge into married life and after reviewing these boards for quite a while but not taking any action I thought what better way to introduce myself to the board by setting myself a challenge.

I dont want to get into the in's and out's of you can do a wedding cheaper etc, (This might not be in the spirit of things!) but more around using the techniques on here to raise the funds to have a excellent day at a cost of almost 0.

So the challenge is - Getting Married June 2011
Raise - 18,000 to pay for everything from The engagement ring to Honeymoon
Using - Only tried and tested ideas from moneysavers tips etc (Matched Betting) & Bonuses from work roughly 1200 a Quarter.

I will try and post as often as possible and use as many tips and techniques that you can provide over the coming 18 months or so.

Here is what I believe will be my costs roughly

Venue 7,000 (Inc Food)
Engagment Ring + Wedding Rings 1200
Flowers 700
Honey Moon 3000
Registrar - 450
Car Hire - 350
Whistle and Flutes - 600
Dress - 1000
Band Hire - 500
Disco - 300
Bridesmaids - 500
Stag Do - 700 - Inc Spending
Hen Do - 700 - Inc Spending

Clearly not everything listed as I will be able to make favours and that myself as well as invites

So i thank you all in advance for your support advice and comments and look forward to reaching the total.

Anyone else planning there wedding are more than welcome to post there updates or join in the challenge

Regards

BA1976
# 2
SugarSpun
Old 14-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Look at Landy Bridal to reduce the cost of your dress and the bridesmaids - mine was £90 delivered, a perfect fit and stunning. You could do your own flowers for far less, too. And what's your hen/stag party costing?!

If you know someone with a fabulous car ask if they'll drive you as their wedding gift. Likewise with cake, invitations, flowers etc.

Take out wedding insurance. And use cashback sites for everything, and don't forget to check ebay for things like silk flowers.
2014 Challenges:
Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: 321.28; RRP 729.76
Clear the Toiletries in 2014: It's taken four years but I think this year we'll do it.

Last edited by SugarSpun; 14-09-2009 at 12:29 PM.
# 3
b_allcott1976
Old 14-09-2009, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks SS a great start.. I am trying to get my head round matched betting this week as this seems like quite a big income generator. Stag Party/Hen Party assuming flights abroad and spending money (Obviously Destination could change)

I will get Mrs 1976 to check out Landy later

Thanks

BA
# 4
emlou2009
Old 14-09-2009, 1:00 PM

get yourself over to the weddings board, theres loads of us with money saving tips over there!!
Mummy to
DS (born March 2009)

DD (born January 2012)
# 5
b_allcott1976
Old 14-09-2009, 1:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Emlou - can i move this thread?
# 6
claireac
Old 14-09-2009, 1:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Another wedding dress tip - check out the bridal shops for sales.

I got my Alfred Angelo dress for half price in an end of season sample sale. There were a few marks on it from people trying it on, but it was spot cleaned after being altered and you'd never have know - apart from the price!

You also might want to think about making your own invitations, and check out Vista Print they were great.
# 7
lizziebell*80
Old 14-09-2009, 2:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

With regards to your venue, unless you have somewhere specific in mind already, you might consider using a University near you. I got this tip off someone I know and we used St Andrews Uni for our reception, the price included the venue and the food (which was surprisingly very very good!). One bonus was that we had the use of 2 large rooms, so the meal was in one then we all moved upstairs for the evening part, so no moving of tables and also the bar prices were so much less that they would have been had we used a hotel. Altogether it was only about 2000 I think possibly less. Also they let us bring our own wine and only had to pay corkage, which again was less thatn a hotel would have been.

Monsoon sales for bridesmaids dresses and try independant dress shops for your dress, they will be less expensive than the larger chain type stores. Don't bother with proper "wedding"shoes either they mostly aren't all that nice and much higher priced (also depeding on your dress they probably won't be seen!).

Ebay for invitaion bits and other things such as cake stand, hoopy skirts and veils etc.

Get friends and family to help out e.g. we did our cake, my cousin did the flowers, we decorated the reception ourselves (with decorations I blagged for free from shops- was a snowflake theme so asked at Xmas the year before) etc.

I miss the planning bit
The Following User Says Thank You to lizziebell*80 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
emlou2009
Old 14-09-2009, 2:13 PM

you cant move it, a mod has to, but we wont shout if you post it again in there
Mummy to
DS (born March 2009)

DD (born January 2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to emlou2009 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
b_allcott1976
Old 14-09-2009, 2:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Great Tip... Looks like my 18k budget will get me a Posh and Becks wedding... Ha Ha... Me thinks i might be able to save myself a fortune. Ha Ha
# 10
amilotte
Old 14-09-2009, 4:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_allcott1976 View Post
Great Tip... Looks like my 18k budget will get me a Posh and Becks wedding... Ha Ha... Me thinks i might be able to save myself a fortune. Ha Ha
Thats a no-expense-spared wedding not a moneysaving wedding lol!!!

Ebay is fab for favour/invite crafty bits you can save a HUGE chunk by doing these yourself and there are so many websites giving ideas.

I am sure you can save on the hen/ stag do's by shopping around, I know you want to go abroud but as an example we did the Hilton hotel in Brighton an evening meal on the first night and an activity the following day for 150 each for two nights. Take a look at the dedicated hen/stag do websites but shop around as they can vary in price hugely!

You can also save loads on bridesmaids dresses by not using the bridal shops especially for children.

Oh how exciting for you!!!
# 11
b_allcott1976
Old 15-09-2009, 10:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks so much for the information so far. The Hen and Stag i am basing purely on ones I have been on recently, however my mother in law has an apartment in Portugal so should only be costs of flights over there for the Hen Do...
I am judging the other prices purely on recent Weddings i have been best man on, I know i can barter down the prices as one of the weddings was filmed for a popular TV show and I managed to get 5000 off the venue in just 24 hours of haggling.
18,000 is really just a top end figure i have plucked out the air, however i want to try and raise and save the money purely by using the tips and tricks of The MSE public... (Me thinks I have already been provided with big savings tips)

Thanking you All..

DAY 1: 2.57 Transferred into a savings account (Its a Start ;-))
# 12
xJayJayx
Old 15-09-2009, 11:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

wait until nearer to wedding to book flights ryanair and easyjet always have "sales" and i booked my flights for the end of this month, 6 months ago at a grand total of 50 return including hold luggage! Bargain.
# 13
Tigerlilley1980
Old 15-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi there I was just wondering if you were male or female. Just that you say you were best man at weddings, and everyone is asking you about your dress and hen night, I'm confused!!

Definitely have a good read through all the wedding threads and write down ideas you like on a notepad! Also subscrivbe to threads that you really like and will come in very handy. HTH and hope to see you around

Tiger xxx
Married the most amazing man 05/12/09 and it was the best day ever, I'm a Mrs, he he!!
Wins 2009: Peroni Alessi bowl woohoo, 1 in 10 wins DVD from Maltesers, Avon lippy!!!
Freebies-Bold Gel, Coffee
Pinecone Research - 9
Mystery Shopping - 15
# 14
frannyann
Old 15-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Best tip I can give, is haggle, haggle and haggle again! The asking price is never the one you should pay!! On paper my wedding should cost around 8K but so far on budget at 3.5K
Ahahah got my signature removed for claiming MSE thought it was too boring
# 15
b_allcott1976
Old 15-09-2009, 12:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am man well last time i looked :-) but my partner will be reading the thread also. I guess I started the thread as I needed motivation to really start saving as I can like most men, be very last minute!

I also needed somewhere to turn to, when this organising a wedding lark starts getting me down, as I say I have had mixed experiences of this recently, so its nice to turn to people in a like minded situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to b_allcott1976 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
SkyKitty
Old 15-09-2009, 6:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My suggestion would be that it might be possible to save on honeymoon depending on what you're looking for. We're going to Florence for a week, which despite not being a beach break (because that's not what we're into) should be incredibly romantic. I'm hoping for narrow streets, tuscan hills and lots of bottles of wine on little terraces.
Total cost for hotel with breakfast and flights 660. 7 nights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkyKitty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
jemma6834
Old 30-09-2009, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Have a look at No 1 Experience www. no1 experience .com (apologies but it wouldnt let me post the link and web address..)

My friend used them for a hen party and she said that the price was the cheapest she had found for what was included. You can build your own package or take advantage of the ones already put together. They have some special offer packages aswell and if I remember rightly they offer discount if you book a stag and a hen party through them. Think the stag and hen go free but worth checking this information.

Good luck with your search and the wedding.
# 18
frannyann
Old 30-09-2009, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemma6834 View Post
Have a look at No 1 Experience www. no1 experience .com (apologies but it wouldnt let me post the link and web address..)

My friend used them for a hen party and she said that the price was the cheapest she had found for what was included. You can build your own package or take advantage of the ones already put together. They have some special offer packages aswell and if I remember rightly they offer discount if you book a stag and a hen party through them. Think the stag and hen go free but worth checking this information.

Good luck with your search and the wedding.
Yep, still sounding like So your mate, had a Hen party, yet on the other thread, your mate had a Stag party?? Sorry if you are not, but 4 posts all recommending the same site, is very 'spammy'.
Ahahah got my signature removed for claiming MSE thought it was too boring
# 19
jemma6834
Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Frannyann

I didnt feel it was relelvant to add that they used it for their stag party as well but I did mention that they did discounts for both as that was what my mate used it for. They booked both the stag and hen party, got an extra discount and had a great weekend.

Was only giving advice from what I have heard, word of mouth in my experience is better than anything else. In future, I will keep my advice and comments to myself as I only get accused of spam...

Many thanks
# 20
shellsuit
Old 04-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Jemma you joined here and made 4 posts, all of which are advertising that company.

That's spam.

If your friend booked them then surely you went along to her hen do? You know more about the company than you do about your friends hen party.
Smoked my last stinking fag on the 4th July 2012 @ 3pm
Closed Thread