Are Models Direct a scam?

Sent pics off to Models Direct and was offered 3 year contract have to pay £126?

Anyone have any experience with them??

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Why, exactly do you have to pay them £126?? surely if you are a good a model as they say you are, then surely you will make them enough money on your looks alone, without the need to pay them £126.00?

If a company really believes you have talent and wants you, then they should be paying you, not the other way around. Im sure if you read the small print in their contract you will see something along the line of "we will not guarantee that you will be given work".

Stay clear.
  • I would steer clear.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • you should check out a website called alba-( i have NO association with this site what so ever!) if you google alba it will come up- they list all reputable model agencies, up and down the country & into all the different categories- ie male/female/children/families etc etc. Hope you get on ok!
    Now im debt free i want to be fat free too!
  • No. Never pay any money up front. A reputable agency will have your shots and a book done. However, they are taking you on because they think you have what it takes to be a model, you will have to pay for these items - this is postage of books to clients, the books, photographers, etc... and the money will be deducted from any money you earn. You'll also be charged an egency fee which is deducted from your money.

I used to work in the accounts departemnt of a large worldwide model agency and the number of girls who used to come in asking for 'their money' only to find they are in debt would shock you.

If you find an agency besure to ask for you 'statement of account' at least once a month. Some books would be requested by a magazine and couriers charges would be £10 each way (because when they want them they want them now, if more than one book is sent the cost is divided between the model) and they might only get £50 for the job, less the agency fee, less the cost of the cards and printing to go int the book.... and after all of this they might not actually get the job and the model is down the courier charges, cost of cards, etc....

However, none of our girls were ever offered term contracts because you can never be sure the girl has the right look.

BTW, google 'models direct scam' and see what you find.
  • Also, only ever use someone who is a member of the AMA - http://www.associationofmodelagents.org/ama-membership/list-of-current-members.html

This tells you who are their current members - and yes, I worked for one of these.
  • Thank you all :)
  • BFem
    BFem Posts: 142
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was successful with them about 5/6 years ago, they were in contact with me and advising me loads after they accpeted me.....until I stupidly paid them the money - then of course I didnt hear another peep from them for the remaining 3 years, literally not one phone call! Luckily I decided I didnt want to do it anyway!! :rotfl:
    sparky23 wrote: »
    Thank you all :)
    'It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection' Elizabeth Gilbert.

:j
  • Just found their website and did a little googling and came across this thread...sorry to bump up such and old one. The website states that you can join for free and not have to pay anything, you just won't have as many features as those with paid subscriptions? Was that the case when you joined?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure