Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 9
  • sweetjamster
    Hi all. I finally managed it!!! Got a diamond ring- I'm finally engaged!!!

I basically got a diamond super cheap, full certificates and excellent "specs". I had found www.diamondland.be online to be marvellous- I asked for a quote and left my phone number and email address. Not only did they email me back straight away, but also telephoned me. The only thing I's have to say is that you really should do your homework prior to going over to Antwerp, so you know a little more than the average person about diamonds.

I went over to the place, where the service was excellent- I ended up settling for something that was totally not the design I'd so set my heart on, which was fantastic.

If you check online on that website- get a quote from them, then compare with other quotes from places like www.cooldiamonds.com which does a similiar quotation service with emails.

In fact, I was (and still am) so happy with my purchase that I do highly recommend the dealer named Guy Kleinbatt. Oh and another thing, the greatest thing of all was that I was able to film the workers in the workshop, adjusting the size of the ring, then mounting the diamond. Two things good about that: 1. I'd be able to watch it from start to finish and have something to show the next generation. 2. It ensures that you are definitely getting the diamond that you paid for. The worst possible nightmare is if you paid for a 1 carat and then found out later on that someone had swapped it in the processes... diamonds at diamondland were available in its sealed state from the certificators.
  • beanie
    so glad you went to diamondland too. aren't they so lovely in there, couldn't do enough for you.......i've also written an article in here about them too!!

it's 18mths since we got married and so may people comment on my ring.

you just can't beat the quality and price

get yourselves over there everyone!!! :
  • wanttosave
    hi all

this is my first post so it may be bad , i got a ex girl friend a engagement ring thats what got me in debt . put it on my credit card . took me 3years to pay it off.
    born free and taxed to death
  • gkerr4
    Just to speak on the original topic of this - i.e. how much to spend on an engagement ring - i think the un-written advice is 1 months gross salary - but I'm not sure if this was 'created' by the diamond merchants!!"

I recently proposed and spent pretty much a month's salary on the ring - It's just over 1/2 carat, brilliant round cut, colour 'D' and VVS2 in quality. I think the quality is more important than the size - if you are spending 2 - 3grand on a piece of jewellery you need to know what you are talking about and what exactly you are buying. Look up the diamond specifications and know what cut, colour, carat and clarity actually are before you start shopping. You can easily get a 1 carat diamond for under a grand, but it will have little black specks in it - do you really want that?

Anyway - the one thing I think now, is that actually i wish I had spent more on it - she is definately worth it and I know it makes her feel special every time she looks at it - and she will have to look at it every day for the rest of her life (i hope) so it better be bloody good! - buy the best you can
  • wilsons
    Engagement ring rip off…
    Hi, I bought my now fianc!e an engagement ring and all was well. I’ve recently got it valued at a different jewellers and it has turned out the carrot size of the diamond is actually 10% LESS than what we were told at time of purchase! Now the chap that valued the ring says that it was quite a considerable drop and that I should maybe take it back to where I purchased it and get it replaced? Now I’m not too sure what is the best way to go about this (guns a blazin vs polite) or how it stands legally! Any suggestions or well wishes would be greatly appreciated! Thanks…
    • donnalou
    • By donnalou 7th Nov 05, 10:14 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    donnalou
    What Jewellers did You buy it from? Does it say the ct weight on your receipt? I would take it back at once if they are any decent jewellers they should be able to take the Diamond out and weigh it in front of you. Did the second Jewellers weigh the diamond?

Also why did you get it valued somewhere else? Did you not get an insurance valuation when you bought it, if not I would not be happy
    • macchicken
    • By macchicken 7th Nov 05, 11:57 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    macchicken
    carrot weight should be printed on the inside of the band, eg. 0.75 for 3/4 of a carrot.
    If the item is misdescribed eg. wrong carrot weight you are entitled to a refund under the consumer rights act.
    Some jewellers say they dont give refunds but under the consumer rights act if an item is faulty or misdescribed then you are intitled to your money back, perhaps go to your local CAB and get this in writing first.
    Then go in calmly, ask for the manager or owner explain the situation, say you would like a full refund, if they try and give you any crap show them you evidence, tell them you are quite prepared to go to trading standards. KEEP CALM. dont give them any excuse to chuck you out the shop.
    This should keep you right.
    good luck
    That mrs macchicken to you!
    • RichyRich
    • By RichyRich 8th Nov 05, 3:56 AM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    RichyRich
    Carat, surely?
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 8th Nov 05, 12:17 PM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    Carat, surely?
    by RichyRich
    Indeed. Although it will only matter if you're writing a letter of complaint.
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 8th Nov 05, 5:18 PM
    • 8,168 Posts
    • 5,300 Thanks
    ManAtHome
    Indeed. Although it will only matter if you're writing a letter of complaint.
    by skintchick
    ...or if you're a donkey..

There was an item on watchdog some time back about a similar complaint. Took a couple of appearances before the jeweller backed down and refunded the cash. Have tried googling without success, anyone else remember this?
    • donnalou
    • By donnalou 8th Nov 05, 6:59 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    donnalou
    Carat weight in the shank is actually only average weight, Many rings are cast with carat weight in the original model.
    ie one model is made .75 is stamped inside then sent off to the casters and 200 shanks come back with .75 inside.
    This appears deeper if its been cast than if its engraved afterwards
  • wilsons
    Thanks for the replies guys! Really appreciate it (and sorry about the spelling mistake!, was really lazy last night). I won’t mention the jewellers until I see how my next visit goes. I guess the following was down to ignorance on my part…I did get an insurance evaluation with it at the time of purchase (which I’m currently trying to locate for proof of purchase (the ring was purchased 10 months ago)) and I took it as gospel. We decided to get it valued somewhere else for a second opinion, which has now turned out to be a good idea.

The ‘carat’ is printed on the inside of the ring, and the ring cast is fit to hold that size of diamond, the only problem is the actual diamond they used is a lot less! I’m not really fussed on a refund, I’d be happy to settle for the proper diamond and for them to cover the cost of the now two evaluations I’m going to have to pay. I suppose depending on the outcome a small letter to the local paper might not go amiss…

Anyhow, I’ll keep you all informed on the progress (or lack of)
    • donnalou
    • By donnalou 8th Nov 05, 10:01 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    donnalou
    Wilsons,

So the second Jeweller actually took the diamond out and weighed it then did he?
    Last edited by donnalou; 08-11-2005 at 10:07 PM.
  • wilsons
    Yip. Is that allowed?
    • shelly
    • By shelly 9th Nov 05, 7:20 PM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    I understand where you are coming from Wilsons..... but I would be mortified if I had to give up my diamond from my ring. If it turned out to be not as good as first thought it wouldn't bother me one bit.....if hubby wanted it replaced I'd tell him no way!!! Any other diamond wouldn't mean the same. Personally I'd ask him to get a refund for the difference if he felt that strongly. But no way would I have a different diamond. What does your fiance think about it?
    Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
    • donnalou
    • By donnalou 9th Nov 05, 7:42 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    donnalou
    Wilsons,

The reason i ask is that some Jewellers will just measure the diamond and say its smaller

Sorry to point this out to but if you go back to the Jewellers where you bought it after 10 months, He may even be able to see that that its been taken out Either way, Its likely that He'll say the diamond has been swapped!

I ran a Jewellery workshop for ten years, So I know all the tricks of the trade.
  • wilsons
    Wilsons,

The reason i ask is that some Jewellers will just measure the diamond and say its smaller

Sorry to point this out to but if you go back to the Jewellers where you bought it after 10 months, He may even be able to see that that its been taken out Either way, Its likely that He'll say the diamond has been swapped!

I ran a Jewellery workshop for ten years, So I know all the tricks of the trade.
    by donnalou

In my presence the jeweller did measure the diamond to give me a quick estimate and it was then he pointed out that it was much smaller than stamped on the ring. We left it with him as he said he could remove the diamond and measure its depth at the workshop as well as weigh it. It then transpired that the diamond was even smaller than first anticipated! You’ve made me nervous now donnalou!! I’m sure the second jeweller would be more than happy to state that the ring/diamond hadn’t be tampered with before he removed it….he’d better…we’re planning on spending a small fortune on wedding rings with him!! I’ve just found the receipt and initial valuation for insurance. Cheeky !!!!!!s have stated “emerald cut approx weight 50 points”! The second jeweller has said 32 points! It’s no way near approximate!!…or is it donnalou??

I’m gonna cry…..
    • donnalou
    • By donnalou 9th Nov 05, 8:29 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    donnalou
    They are cheeky !!!!!!s! By putting approx weight is rather odd. If I done an evaluation and couldn't take the diamond out. I would put approx but not for a new ring.
    In my opinion and this is my opinion only I think the mount it was put in was old. Perhaps they sold that diamond and it was 0.50 but spread as a 0.32. They put your diamond in it and maybe they forgot to re-ingrave it with the new weight.
    This by no means excuses them selling you it as a 0.50.

When you look inside what intials are next to the Hallmark?
  • wilsons
    They are cheeky !!!!!!s! By putting approx weight is rather odd. If I done an evaluation and couldn't take the diamond out. I would put approx but not for a new ring.
    In my opinion and this is my opinion only I think the mount it was put in was old. Perhaps they sold that diamond and it was 0.50 but spread as a 0.32. They put your diamond in it and maybe they forgot to re-ingrave it with the new weight.
    This by no means excuses them selling you it as a 0.50.

When you look inside what intials are next to the Hallmark?
    by donnalou
    Apologies. The second jeweller said 42 points not 32 points! Sorry. Is this still too far off the mark? I can’t make out the initials either. At the time of purchase we did specify 50 points though…
    • donnalou
    • By donnalou 9th Nov 05, 9:06 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    donnalou
    it is a bit odd. If really depends on the Jeweller. If it was from a chain then maybe you'd stand a chance with your complaint, but maybe a small independant Jeweller won't be as bothered
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin