Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 8
  • BrokeBrokeBroke
    I'm getting engaged in 3 days time!!!
    by black-saturn
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
    • Alison_B
    • By Alison_B 18th Oct 05, 8:05 PM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Alison_B
    If you aren't bothered really about a ring - or a diamond especially, QVC do some great looking dymanique rings at a fraction of the cost of a diamond. When I was expecting my first child and couldn't get my "proper" ring on but felt naked without my rings, my husband bought me one and it was only £60 but looked like the real thing.
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 18th Oct 05, 8:10 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    I never bothered about an engagement ring. I had my wedding ring and after my two children I had a very nice eternity ring.
  • FairyElephant
    Engaged at last! Ring advice please?
    Hi All,

After being adamant that he would never do it again (1st wife did the dirty on him), B/F had a change of heart, and proposed to me on Tuesday!
    I am, obviously, a very happy bunny now!

We are going ring-hunting on Sat, and I was thinking white gold or platinum. I thought white gold was cheaper, so would go for that, but I just read that as it is plated, it needs re-plating every year or so - is the the case?
    If so, am I better off with Platinum? - and what should I expect to pay for a simple diamond solitaire? - Not being unromatic, I want a lovely ring to treasure forever, but in true MSE fashion I don't want to spend too much!

Any thoughts peeps?

FE
  • Murray
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Try: diamondgeezer.com

Its worth a look even if just for research purposes as they show you all of the possible diamond cuts/metal/setting combinations.

Have fun shopping!!
    • Becles
    • By Becles 21st Oct 05, 2:48 PM
    • 12,851 Posts
    • 26,063 Thanks
    Becles
    http://www.geraldonline.com have some excellent bargains. Much cheaper than the high street.
    Here I go again on my own....
    • fatboyonadiet
    • By fatboyonadiet 21st Oct 05, 3:24 PM
    • 5,299 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    fatboyonadiet
    If you must do high street, barter most have a margin of 15 - 20% they can knock off. Otherwise (and I know it's far) the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham is very cheap, it's about 40%+ cheaper then high street, must be similar types of shops in Bristol?
    2p off is still 2p off!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 21st Oct 05, 5:59 PM
    • 36,045 Posts
    • 151,569 Thanks
    silvercar
    My rings are white gold. Chosen because they look shinier than the rather matt finish of platinum (& cheaper). I think the shinyness sets of a diamond solitaire better. I had mine re-plated once in 18 years and that was only because I had my engagement ring reset so it was suggested that the wedding ring should be replated at the same time.
  • lestamunda
    How About - Get Prepared For Wedded Life -

Suffer - "ring" - Geddit? Ha Ha Ha

Only Joking - And Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Ally
    • By Ally 21st Oct 05, 6:49 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,442 Thanks
    Ally
    Congratulations to you both!

Just thought I'd mention that there are some bargains on the argos thread ... 'One Love' rings half price!

edit: just had a quick look and the engagement rings have gone! they were there on wednesday! But, they do have some trilogy rings.

Go to 'jewellery' ... 'clearance' ... 'ring's' ... and bingo, not as many left though! 1 One Love platinum trilogy ring @£499.99 was £999.99
    Last edited by Ally; 21-10-2005 at 6:53 PM.
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!

• kdee
    Hi, I thought exactly the same as you about white gold but still went for a wedding band in it. My husband chose white gold first and then after a year it had almost lost all its gold and he switched to platinum.
    We have used the same jeweller for years and bought some very expensive stuff from him during that time so we can trust him when he gives us advice.
    He said that the type of skin you have can greatly affect how the ring wears. My skin is dry beyond belief and I must say my ring is as shiny as the day I bought it, my husband who has a much more oily skin had real problems with his white gold ring.

So bear that in mind when choosing.
    But a real word of caution, platinum ends up lookng really base and dull so if you can avoid it at all, I would do.
    Tried and Tested
  • rio
    Congratulations!! I can only pass on the advice my mother gave me. At the end of the day after all the excitement and celebrations you are left with the ring on your finger. Buy what you like, imagine wearing it in 30 years time - think to yourself will I still like it, and buy the one you can say yes to. My engagement ring was relatively cheap, but quite unusual and even after wearing it for 19 years I still really like it.

Good Hunting!!
    • sooz
    • By sooz 21st Oct 05, 11:07 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    sooz
    re white gold needing replating, if you get white gold rings from ernest jones [not sure how to spell the name at this time of night] they replate for free for the rest of your life. just have to keep the receipt.

i love white gold as it's the only metal that does not bring me out in a rash, and always buy from them
    • BargainHunterCat
    • By BargainHunterCat 21st Oct 05, 11:23 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    BargainHunterCat
    Sapphires are a girl's best friend?
    Firstly, congratulations!
    One thing I found when ring hunting is that diamonds are very expensive for what you get.
    My best pal was given a diamond ring by her fiancee but despite spending a wadge of money, the stone was so small you could hardly see it.
    My money-saving hubby cottoned on to this, and when we got engaged he got me a gorgeous 9ct gold ring with a lovely big sapphire in it which cost about 1/2 as much as my pal's diamond one (of course, he managed to get it in the sale so it was even less again!) :rolleyes:
    I often get complemented on my unusual engagement ring, and it's nice to have something really individual.
    Personally I never went for white gold or platinum, as I have another friend who has white gold engagement and wedding rings and much to her annoyance, often gets asked if it's silver!
    • Becles
    • By Becles 22nd Oct 05, 8:38 AM
    • 12,851 Posts
    • 26,063 Thanks
    Becles
    The site I recommended is good for diamonds - eg they currently have a half carat soliatare (decent sized stone!) on an 18ct yellow gold band for £569. It's a certified diamond too. You'd never get quality like that on the high street. I'm a satisfied customer and I'd highly recommened them.
    • Doublespresso
    • By Doublespresso 23rd Oct 05, 11:20 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Doublespresso
    The site I recommended is good for diamonds - eg they currently have a half carat soliatare (decent sized stone!) on an 18ct yellow gold band for £569. It's a certified diamond too. You'd never get quality like that on the high street. I'm a satisfied customer and I'd highly recommened them.
    by Becles
    If I'm not mistaken the site is a new venture by Gerald Ratner who famously boasted that the jewellery he sells in his shops is c***p. He subsequently had to resign his post, hence the new venture I guess.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3199822.stm

Wouldnt trust the quality myself. I believe in the old motto, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Doublespresso; 23-10-2005 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add a link
  • sweetjamster
    I spent months looking for a ring that I liked. But I am off to Antwerp this weekend to get it. I looked around in Hatton Garden and other places and tried loads on. In the end, I fell in love with a ring and copied the design on a piece of paper. I'm currently researching how long it will take to recreate that ring in Antwerp- for less than 60%. And the trip is only £58 for two people if you have the codes from the Telegraph newspaper.
  • joanne__rose
    Good luck with the shopping in Antwerp this weekend. We're also off to Antwerp this weekend to buy a diamond ring... didn't know about any offer in the Telegraph though so our trip is costing more than £68, and a lot more by the time I've chosen my ring!
    • Mizz_Pink
    • By Mizz_Pink 28th Oct 05, 1:44 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Mizz_Pink
    engagment rings
    Anyone buying engagment rings go to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. H2B had mine made by Hallmark Jewellers. Its platinum (much better than white gold but more expensive), with a brilliant cut diamond with a tapered baguette either side. Costs £1700. I chose a smaller stone for the centre 1/2 a carat as opposed to 3/4 of a carat, the smaller one was much better quality which you could tell even if you dont have a trained eye.
    Good look
    • Becles
    • By Becles 28th Oct 05, 3:50 PM
    • 12,851 Posts
    • 26,063 Thanks
    Becles
    Wouldnt trust the quality myself. I believe in the old motto, you get what you pay for.
    by Doublespresso
    The certified diamond I got was a better colour and clarity rating, and a higher carat than similar priced rings we looked at on the high street.

I was happy with the purchase.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,569Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter