Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 6
  • bargainaddict
    I chose my ring with my husband and it was so romantic. Most shops will change the ring if she doesn't like it. Also check to see if they will re-size it free of charge or not.
    The traditional single stone diamond ring (solitaire) is meant to signify LOVE, and the three stone diamond signifys I LOVE YOU. Try to have some idea of what you/your girlfriend wants so you don't get talked into anything else. If you show her all these messages she will see how much thought you have put into it. I really wish you both a lifetime of happiness.
  • NYC
    thanks everybody for your advise on this. i hope to have a look at a few jewlers. I have asked her best friend so hopefully i will have a more solid answer

thanks
    • katglasgow
    • By katglasgow 4th Jul 05, 9:37 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    katglasgow
    My H2b proposed and chose the ring himself and I loved the fact he had chosen it himself. It is a gold band with a diamon solitaire. Very traditional but also quite modern looking as the diamond is in a square setting. he took one of my rings from my jewellry box without me noticing and the shop usefd that to guess my size. It was such a wonderful romatic surprise for me.
    If your girlfriend wears a lot of of silver jewellry then you might weant to choose platinum or white gold. Her firned will be able to get this kind of informationm from her very easily!
    Me debt free thanks to MSE
    • fatboyonadiet
    • By fatboyonadiet 4th Jul 05, 11:11 AM
    • 5,302 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    fatboyonadiet
    Go to the jewellry quarter in Birmingham and save a small fortune over high street.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • Lyndsay_21
    i must admit i chose my ring OH has terrible taste and we where on a very, very, very tight budget i think my ring cost £25 maybe a bit more but i really like it and glad i chose it myself. i chose it and he bought and paid for it then we went out to dinner and asked me. still no wedding in sight though yet another expense
  • sweetjamster
    Diamond engagement rings
    I've been shopping around for ages with my boyfriend for a diamond engagement ring, including in Hatton Garden in London.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the best deal on a ring that will be worn for life?
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-09-2005 at 4:27 PM.
    • Woby_Tide
    • By Woby_Tide 11th Sep 05, 11:10 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    Woby_Tide
    find a jeweller who makes items and get them to make a unique piece exactlyhow you want(then maybe ask for a nice matching necklace/bracelet for the wedding day and ask for a bulk purchase discount whilst handing his credit card over?)
    • macchicken
    • By macchicken 12th Sep 05, 11:12 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    macchicken
    You would be better going to a goldsmith, that way you can get exactaly what you want!
    Happy shopping
    That mrs macchicken to you!
  • alison6692
    I had my engagement ring made and designed by my friends boyfriend. Its fancy, hee hee. If you would like his email then pm me I would recommend him without a doubt.

I am so pleased with mine and its a one off- which i love to tell EVERYONE that will listen.
  • princess
    mercenary maybe but you can use ur tescos deals vouchers at goldsmiths
  • dwsjarcmcd
    The mark up on jewellery is huge! When you see a ring you want, you leave the shop and your boyfriend should ask for at least 15% off the price. Most jewellers, even the big ones will deal. You need to ask.

Ok, so it's not very romantic but well worth it!
  • sweetjamster
    I was told that Antwerp would be a good place to go.. Has anyone been that can give feedback?

PS: Many thanks by the way... I just want to get it right!!
  • LH79
    New York is a good place - thats where my beloved got mine! Went to the diamond quarter - off 42nd street. Chose the diamond and the setting and they made it for us. Blokie got a free t-shirt - bargain!! We had it valued over here, and what we saved paid for the trip to NY.
    • Norma Desmond
    • By Norma Desmond 14th Sep 05, 2:12 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    Norma Desmond
    How about an antique ring? I'm a bit of a jewellery 'buff' and I wouldn't even consider buying new......craftsmanship is so much better on older jewellery and stones are generally of better cut and clarity (Did you know that some of the cheaper rings from some high street jewellers have actually got a wax core?). And of course you wouldn't be hit with VAT and the other extortionate 'mark ups' on new stuff. I recently got a 1920s half carat emerald ring surrounded by a third of a carat in diamonds for the grand total of £40 from Ebay. The workmanship/weight is outstanding - haven't even bothered to have it valued yet, it's residing on my finger!
    • cattie
    • By cattie 14th Sep 05, 8:59 PM
    • 7,743 Posts
    • 5,273 Thanks
    cattie
    The most cost effective way would be to buy a 2nd hand engagement ring, which by shopping around would buy you a very nice ring with a lovely stone/stones at a fraction of the original retail price. But I understand that for a lot of people, it has to be a nice brand spanking new ring or nothing.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • JessicaFishy
    -as mentioned, 15% off, especially if you pay cash
    -know what you are buying! eg...white gold rings are plated in rhodium, meaning it wears off to the natural colour of white gold over time which is a dull charcoal grey.no big deal to get it replated, but a hassle and not cheap. platinum rings, if resized, are generally rejoined with white gold which can leave a visible line at the join- so best get made in the size to fit (remember your fingers will 'shrink' in winter. rings with stones shouldnt generally be sized more than a couple of sizes either way- any more than that and the setting becomes stretched and stones can literally pop out at a later date.
    - be realistic about the style that is best for you. if you use your hands a lot and are not that careful- dont get a tension set ring as you would be suprised how often the stone can pop out, if not in that solid a setting. same goes for rings that have very high set stones- pretty but not that practical as the stone gets caught very easily.
    oh and dont get insurance from the jewellery shop- big rip off and probably wont cover a simple loss.
    i think- most people are happy with rings when they buy them- it is afterwards when things go wrong because people havent been properly informed about what they are paying for.
  • Dan B
    A couple of years ago, I bought my (then) girlfriends engagement ring off:

www.diamondgeezer.com

Spent £5k, which to many people is crazy, but its been independently valued for insurance purposes at £11k. Which is also the amount a similar ring was in the big high street jewelers eg Boodle & Dunthorne.

I cant understand why anyone would buy a ring from the high street. Some ply you with champagne to con you into spending more than you want to.

I proposed on 31st Dec 03 on the Charles Bridge in Prague in the snow & we are getting married on 31st Dec this year, which is also my 30th!

I saw it as an investment which will be constantly worn & I wanted my future wife to have the best I could afford.

PS we got out wedding rings from Tiffanys in New York when the exchange rate was nearly $2 to the pound, which paid for our flights.
  • pmr789
    I can't recommend cooldiamonds highly enough. I used them earlier this year and was very impressed. It's a very slick operation and they're highly competitive on price. They're based in London and sell certified diamond rings. They also offer an exchange service if your girlfriend doesn't like the one you chose! (Good for piece of mind). I found Antwerp particularly difficult to deal with and of course you can't see the diamond before hand which for me was very important.
    • titchy
    • By titchy 16th Sep 05, 10:18 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    titchy
    Cheaper and a holiday
    When I purchased my wifes engagement ring we were on holiday in South Africa, they have far better prices on jewelry than we do here.
    When we came back and had it valuated for insurance it had increased in value 4 fold.

This was 6 years ago, so things may ahve changed.
  • feramoo
    Have you thought about doing without an engaement ring altogether? Saves money that can be put to practical purposes like buying somewhere to live. It also saves the grief of a diamond falling from its setting/going up the hoover/being mugged off you. If you want glitz for going out, buy a bit of cubic zirconia, no one will be able to tell the difference and you won't have a heart-attack if something unfortunate happens to it!
    by Hester
    You're a bit of a pessimistic romantic aren't you? You are not answering the question you are trying to change her mind. Stick to the topic.

I purchased my wife's engagment ring through a jewellery maker. 3 diamonds on a platinum band. Insurance valued at three times the cost. Which is good if, god forbid, something happens to it. Avoid high street shops at all costs. They're mark up is shocking and the service can be just as bad. My wife's ring was re-sized in half an hour by the independent maker. My friend's wife's ring was resized by the high street jeweller in 3 weeks. Totally crap.

Cash gets discounts as well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,928Posts Today

7,383Users online

Martin's Twitter