Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 5
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 15th May 05, 11:25 PM
    • 17,984 Posts
    • 22,266 Thanks
    Poppy9
    My oh used to be a diamond mounter/goldsmith. Yep jewellers mark up at least 300%. You get better value having a goldsmith make your ring as you can choose your stone out of the setting thus seeing any flaws which a decent setter can disguise. No point buying jewellery for investment purposes as the scrap value is literally scrap price of gold and diamond at cost price less reduction for being second hand. As I have mentioned on other threads you are better off recycling your jewellery than trying to sell it. Engagement/stone rings can be opened out and a pin attached to make a bar brooch. Broken chains, rings etc can be melted down and made into a charm or bangle or even wedding ring.

Welsh gold has very little welsh gold in it. Ask what percentage before you buy. If a 9ct ring has 37% gold the welsh gold bit might be only be 1% though.

You will only get your money back on jewellery - hopefully -if its fully insured. Most insurance companies like to deal direct with jewellers to benefit from discounts.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • margaretclare
    • By margaretclare 16th May 05, 10:08 AM
    • 10,257 Posts
    • 17,051 Thanks
    margaretclare
    Welsh gold has very little welsh gold in it. Ask what percentage before you buy. If a 9ct ring has 37% gold the welsh gold bit might be only be 1% though.
    by Poppy9
    Yes, the 'contains rare Welsh gold' used to advertise clogau rings didn't actually persuade us to buy the sapphire birthstone ring as an engagement ring.

We wanted something unusual (his 2 ex's had had diamond, the usual kkind of engagement ring) We didn't want to be reminded of anything that had gone before. And we liked it.

Aunty Margaret
  • NYC
    Engagement Ring help
    ok, ive finally got the courage to ask my girlfriend to marry me. But i want advise on a ring.

I was thinking of a diamond ring, but what kinda ring. Silver? Gold? White gold? platnum?

I dont know tbh. Ive been looking but i cant find thiungs.

Any ideas / advise is welcome

Thanks

BTW i thought about asking her what kinda rings she likes but it would be to sus. ive asked her friend but shes not 100% sure, she said shes gona see if she can bring it up in convo but i dont think she will remember.
    Last edited by NYC; 01-07-2005 at 2:25 PM. Reason: bad spellings
  • alison6692
    Hiya

I really think you are going to have propose without the ring. I am sure this is the safest bet as your girlfriend is going to have this ring for a very long time and you want her to like it. Myabe buy a pretty ring from next, m+s, etc - Pop the question then get her to come ring hunting with you.

Good Luck

Alison
    x
  • NYC
    hi alison, tbh we did talk about it a couple o month back and she seems like she would be happy with my choice. Now, ive had a look about but i dont know where i should buy it tbh. Ive looked in jewelers and that but sometimes they can do you.

Any ideas?

I want diamond though. Ive been told she likes diamonds.
    Last edited by NYC; 01-07-2005 at 2:26 PM. Reason: bad spellings
  • alison6692
    I am only recently engaged - I had mine made by a friend. Do you even know what size she is? Thats very imortant :-)
    Does she wear gold? I don't you see so that was any easy choice. I have gone for Platinum which is much more hard wearing than white gold - white gold is good but it has to be re-coated from time to time.

Titanium is very hard wearing but you cannot get it adjusted very easily and its quite tricky to get stones set in Titanium.

I looked on ebay for inspiration - They has some very reasonable pices for rings.

Also my Dad goes to Birmingham - Seemingly they have an area dedicated to jewellery. I am not sure what it is called but he got my sister a lovely ring from there.
    Last edited by alison6692; 30-06-2005 at 1:03 AM.
    • Counting_Pennies
    • By Counting_Pennies 30th Jun 05, 7:43 AM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    Counting_Pennies
    If you are buying without her there I think you would be safe to go for a diamond (girls best friend) and gold.

The popular choice seems to be either one or three in a row. Personally I prefer the three in a row, it seems to fill the finger nicely, although if she has incredibly small fingers a solitaire might be best
    • AuntyJean
    • By AuntyJean 30th Jun 05, 8:06 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    AuntyJean
    Engagement Ring
    Presumably, the engagement will ultimately lead to marriage.

You will often see matching engagement and wedding rings so one thing worth considering is the width and shape of the ring.

Secondly, set is better than claws. Claws often catch in clothing and can be a nuisance. Also height of the stone is imporatant as this again can be a nuisance (which could mean she takes it off to do certain things and may forget it or lose it). For most girls it is something she will want you to put on her finger and remain there forever (ie wear day and night) without it being an annoyance.

Although not most girls choices, when I got engaged my hubby to be and I went to an 'antique' (second hand) jewellers and I chose a diamond solitaire at half the cost of what it would have been new.

Cost is not always important. I know of many couples who were skint when they got engaged but ended up wealthier in later years and the wife refuses to have her 'cheapie' ring replaced because of the sentiment.

One final thing to consider if you do not think you can afford a decent sized diamond ring, is her birthstone. If it is June then forget it as Pearls mean tears, so the old saying goes.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
    • shelly
    • By shelly 30th Jun 05, 8:50 AM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    I would say that if you aren't sure what she would like then propose without the ring and let her chose it later.I always told my hubby to chose mine and propose with it but when he did propose he didn't have a ring and for that i'm grateful! lol When I chose mine I asked him to point out what he would have chosen for me and lets just say it wasn't my cup of tea He chose gold with 3 real dark blue stones.....I chose gold with a single diamond....I love it.

Good luck.
    Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
    • bluep
    • By bluep 30th Jun 05, 10:36 AM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    bluep
    I always thought that I'd prefer my boyfriend to go, pick a ring and then propose to me...I thought that it would show he'd put a lot of thought into it. Actually, what he did that really made me feel special, is he asked my father's permission to ask me to marry him - my dad was really chuffed as he is my step-father and has no other daughters, it made me feel special and that he was serious. Afterwards, we went shopping for a ring together which again, was lovely and I'll always remember it because we were abroad in Munich at christmas time. I got exactly the ring I'd always dreamed of (white gold because i never wear yellow gold and a single solitaire diamond). Its such a personally thing - most girls WANT their boyfriends to propose with a ring but WANT the exact ring that they always imagined!! A bit of a paradox!

If you feel strongly that you want to get the ring without her choosing, I would go for a simple band that narrows slightly before the stone setting as this always makes fingers look more slender, a single diamond for simplicities sake (deciding on better clarity and smaller stone or larger stone, less quality, whichever you prefer), gold if she wears it, white gold or platinum if she generally wears silver - but this means that you both would get white gold/platinum/silver wedding bands (which I personally prefer). If her other jewelry is quite modern - chunky/squarish/contmeporary, then maybe a square mounting and square cut diamond, if she is more traditional or "delicate" in her choice of earrings etc..., then a crown setting maybe?

2nd hand jewelry shops good for cheaper rings, but make sure ifyou get a diamond that it comes with a diamond certificate. High street jewelers do good discount sales though - or post on the better buys - vouchers section of this site as someone might know a good sale or a good online deal going on. I have a online code for www.fhinds.co.uk which is 10% off - input code ZM1 0605 (note this is a code that is available for use by the general public as it was in Zing magazine - it is not a promotion personal to me!). Someone else might have a better deal though - and you could always join a site like www.quidco.co.uk , go through them to a jewelry store online and get cashback on your purchase (can be up to 10% as well!!).

Don't forget to borrow one of her rings at home and take it in to a jewelers to work out what ring size she is!

Good luck with it all though! and I hope she says yes!!
  • lllnorrislll
    wait for the sales
    • LilacLillie
    • By LilacLillie 30th Jun 05, 11:11 AM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 9,851 Thanks
    LilacLillie
    My son proposed to his girlfriend in May abroad, where he'd hoped to buy her a ring, to make the moment more of a lasting memory.
    Before they left he asked her Father's permission, which everyone thought was sweet nowadays.
    He wanted her to pick her own ring (while they were away), but wanted to present her with something while he was down on one knee.
    I gave him his Grandmother's eternity ring, I've never worn it and that way it stays in the family. His girlfriend, luckily, has small fingers, as did my old Mother-in-law, who would have been well chuffed that her ring got used in such romantic way.
    His girfriend loved it, and the moment so much, that she now won't take it off and doesn't want an engagement ring at all now!
    Very cheap alternative...................
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

---------------------------------------------------
  • Feisty_Fairy
    Hi there NYC!

Firstly can i say congratulations cos im sure she will say yes!

I think we may be able to help each other! I have a set of 3 rings that i am selling, engagement ( cluster old ) wedding and eternity. I also dont want a HUGE amount for them as i just want someone to enjoy them!

If you want more info then please do PM me! Also do you have a budget in mind? cos ebay has loads!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Take care

Love

Feisty!
  • nickinoo
    Please don't get silver-it just doesn't seem right.

I always thought being proposed to with a ring would have been nice but when it happened to me we ended up choosing the ring together which was really sweet. My engagement ring wasn't an official one which meant the band was quite thin even though it wasn't dead cheap (he was only a poor student back then), 10 years on I've just had a new band added even though we had talked about getting a new ring when we had some money-instead I finally got an eternity ring after 9 years of marriage so I am one happy bunny!

Good luck with it all, I hope she says yes.

My friend works in H Samuel & said that Argos stuff tends to not be the best quality, she says Warren James are pretty good but the stone quality is not always the best. I trust her & don't think she was being biased so I got mine from her & with 30% staff discount I'm very happy. Samuel's do an insurance (£9 for 2 years) & then you get 10% (I think) off your wedding ring.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 30th Jun 05, 3:23 PM
    • 8,634 Posts
    • 15,509 Thanks
    calleyw
    My husband choose my engagement ring all on his own.

We had talked about it and looked in shop windows and I said what I did and did not like. He knew that it was sapphire and diamonds in a yellow gold setting as to me white gold and platium looks like silver to me and cheap. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

He borrowed another ring I had but did not wear to go and get the right size. So I knew nothing about it.

Apart from I ruined the surprise as I moved in to his place and while unpacking my stuff away I found the ring box and looked in side. I did not let on to after he proposed that I had found it and he even went down on one knee while I sat on the bed.

Yours

Calley
  • nickinoo
    white gold and platium looks like silver to me and cheap. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    by calleyw
    I'm so glad it's not just me who thinks this!
  • alison6692
    HaHa, I think its a new thing - In my bridal magazines they say white gold /platinum may be going out of fashion again. I just think of gold as looking a bit chavvy! But thats my opinion and there is a much larger choice of gold rings.
    Its totally personal choice and I think in this day and age the safest bet is to let the lady choose. :-)
    • shelly
    • By shelly 30th Jun 05, 5:23 PM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    I just think of gold as looking a bit chavvy!
    by alison6692
    Gold only looks chavvy if its more than an inch thick,weighs as much as a small child or has a sovereign in it! and even worse if its all 3....
    Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
  • alison6692
    Yeah I suppose so. I think this highlights that us ladies are a tricky lot and to buy a ring without consulting us could go horribly wrong :-).
    • rammy007
    • By rammy007 30th Jun 05, 11:34 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    rammy007
    why not buy a stone/diamond and have one made how she would like it my brother bought me a pink sapphire back from thailand at christmas(he was there when the tsunami hit)its georgous and have just had it made into a ring
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin