Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Top Child Trust Funds Article Discussion Area (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Top Child Trust Funds Article Discussion Area
Views: 135,249
# 21
ses6jwg
Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi all.

Currently have around 1,000 in a CTF with Leeds and Holbeck as a Cash item.

I am looking at options at the moment as the interest rate isnt very good.

I was looking at moving it to their Stakeholder CTF, which tracks the FTSE All-Share Index. Does this sound like a decent way to go? I know the all-share tends to outperform the FTSE100. As its over 18 years I'm not bothered about ups and downs.

I have another 1000 in a child savings account with Natwest, which I believe is earning something like 1%. So I want to keep this as cash. Any advice on decent childrens accounts?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
taney
Old 08-10-2009, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,
I am a new mum and have got not much idea about how CTF really works,so would need an expert opinion on what i have so far understood after reading the CTF article on MSE...

I am thinking to open an investment-type CTFs with a share account,hopwever,I don't know how can I proceed that where and how to open an account and whats the best way to approach it and get best outcome?

I would appreciate any comments..
# 23
cloud_dog
Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taney View Post
Hi,
I am a new mum and have got not much idea about how CTF really works,so would need an expert opinion on what i have so far understood after reading the CTF article on MSE...

I am thinking to open an investment-type CTFs with a share account,hopwever,I don't know how can I proceed that where and how to open an account and whats the best way to approach it and get best outcome?

I would appreciate any comments..
taney, as you want to go down the investment route it is difficult (not allowed) for people to recoomend investment ideas, thats not to say they cannot comment on good / bad experiences with different providers.

Have a look at post 20 where you can find a link to all providers (cash and equity based ones).

Before people can offer more info you probably need to list what sort of investment you would be happy with, i.e. FTSE100, European, Far East, etc, etc, etc.
Personal Responsibility - Sad but True
The Following User Says Thank You to cloud_dog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
expat_jo
Old 28-10-2009, 8:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi

Sorry, a dunce question coming up (I have a newborn, my brain doesn't work properly any more and I can't concentrate from the baby crying .... in my defence !)

The F&C stakeholder acct - do I need to contribute money every month if I open it or can I just stick in the 250 and be done?

Many thanks (and please go easy on me!)
# 25
cloud_dog
Old 28-10-2009, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat_jo View Post
Hi

Sorry, a dunce question coming up (I have a newborn, my brain doesn't work properly any more and I can't concentrate from the baby crying .... in my defence !)

The F&C stakeholder acct - do I need to contribute money every month if I open it or can I just stick in the 250 and be done?

Many thanks (and please go easy on me!)
I think you'll find you dont have to make additional or regular contributions.

The blurb at the top of the F&C CTF page states... "When you open a Child Trust Fund account at F&C, you can add to this amount (up to a 1,200 each year)."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cloud_dog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
deefadog
Old 02-11-2009, 4:39 PM

Hi all, wanting to take a punt with our newest arrivals CTF, so what would be recommended for a high risk investment?

Thanks

# 27
Lawrah26
Old 11-11-2009, 4:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just a quick one, sorry if this has already been noted previously - I opened a CTF with Nationwide a few years back - is it possible to transfer the CTF to a new provider and is there any advice on the best way to do this?
Thanking you
06/10 - 2000 of 6000 saved
# 28
glasgow oldie
Old 11-11-2009, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Trust fund accounts for UK citizens living abroad?

Does anyone know if it is allowed to start a trust fund for children of UK citizens who are living and working in Holland. They pay Dutch taxes. They will return to UK eventually.
# 29
cloud_dog
Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrah26 View Post
Just a quick one, sorry if this has already been noted previously - I opened a CTF with Nationwide a few years back - is it possible to transfer the CTF to a new provider and is there any advice on the best way to do this?
Thanking you
'Yes'
'Pick a new one'
'Complete their transfer form'.
# 30
knikki
Old 13-11-2009, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default so confused!

hey all!
Im so confused about what to do with my son's child trust fund voucher in this economic climate!!?
Any one able to help me?

Im thinking of putting it into the family investment ethical stakeholder account but im not sure if that is such a good idea at the moment! But then is putting it in a savings account any safer?
And if so which one is the best?

If anyone can help that would be great!

Nikki
# 31
ses6jwg
Old 13-11-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knikki View Post
hey all!
Im so confused about what to do with my son's child trust fund voucher in this economic climate!!?
Any one able to help me?

Im thinking of putting it into the family investment ethical stakeholder account but im not sure if that is such a good idea at the moment! But then is putting it in a savings account any safer?
And if so which one is the best?

If anyone can help that would be great!

Nikki
Are you prepared to lose some or all of your original stake, in return for the potential of greater returns?

If Yes - go for a stakeholder/ shares account

If No - Stick to cash.

Personally, and this is just my personal view, I would take a risk with the "free" money and go for a stakeholder and just dont make anymore contributions.

Your lovely little angel could turn out to be a little crap and blow it all on shopping at 18.

I've set up savings for mine elsewhere firmly under my control.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ses6jwg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
deefadog
Old 16-11-2009, 9:25 AM

Hi, that's my attitude too

So where can i start looking a stakeholder/ shares account and what do i look for in terms of risk? - the more the merrier for me

# 33
wriggly
Old 24-11-2009, 2:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by deefadog View Post
Hi, that's my attitude too

So where can i start looking a stakeholder/ shares account and what do i look for in terms of risk? - the more the merrier for me
All stakeholder and shares CTF have risk, and hence are expected to provide better returns than a cash CTF. Even a nice staid stakeholder tracking the FTSE All-Share has a much higher risk and expected return than cash.

The additional return on investments riskier than that is unlikely to get you into lottery-winner territory.

However, for informational purposes only, from the F&C stable, I would say that US or Global Smaller Companies or Pacific Assets Trust would be reasonable investments that almost certainly provide additional risk and may possibly plausibly potentially provide a better return.

F&C Private Equity Trust or Graphite Enterprise Trust might give you the wildest roller coaster ride. Don't blame me if you lose it all though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wriggly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
mrsdumplin
Old 12-12-2009, 1:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I need to do something with my babys voucher.

I think I'm gonna be reckless do you still recommend F&C Private Equity Trust as the best higer risk.
Thanks
# 35
Lara
Old 12-12-2009, 9:24 AM

Question Baby born abroad but in EU country

I'd like to set up an account of some sorts for first grandchild whereby I can put money in there for Christmas/birthdays etc. As she's been born abroad they haven't got the CTF money. I've looked at Children's Bonds in PO and also Smart Account at Nationwide but I'd be happy to take a chance and invest money and leave it until she is older at the same time be able to invest more for her as and when I want to. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks .
# 36
james_joyce
Old 13-12-2009, 7:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Stakeholder CTF - initial cost

Hi

I went to see a Building Society this weekend to try to open a Stakeholder CTF. I was told the only way to do this was to see their Independent Financial Advisor, pay him a fee to give me a full review of my own finances, and have the Society's Stakeholder CTF recommended to me.

Can this be right? Firstly surely an IFA, particularly a fee-based one, should be giving impartial advice not biased to a particular Society's product? Secondly, surely the spirit of Stakeholders is that they are low cost?

Apparently they would even be reluctant to open the CTF for me if I chose to withhold some answers to the IFA's question about myself! My understanding is that a CTF is for my child, not me!

:confused:

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks
# 37
cloud_dog
Old 14-12-2009, 6:38 PM

Yes, leave the BS and find a better one.

Everything they stated is hog wash. If you want to stay with them then just go to their web site and open the CTF online.
# 38
james_joyce
Old 14-12-2009, 11:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Many thanks for that. I will report the specific details to HMRC and see what they think.
# 39
emidee
Old 05-01-2010, 2:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Interest on CTFs when transferring?

Hi all,

I have 2 children (2 & 4) who both have Cash CTFs, with Britannia at the moment.

I'm looking to transfer both CTFs to the Yorkshire BS as it has a better rate.

Does anyone know whether interest on CTFs is payable daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc? I don't want to lose a year's interest by transferring their accounts at the wrong time!

Thanks,
Emily xx.
The Following User Says Thank You to emidee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
lozzaw
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi

I am thinking of investing my child's CTF in the Children's Mutual Society ethical stakeholder account.

My worry is I have seen a lot of reviews on other sites with people saying annual returns seem to be low or negative. Am I right to ignore this? Is this generally a good time to invest in such an account?

Thanks for any help.