Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 16
    • CuddlySteve
    • By CuddlySteve 20th Sep 15, 4:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CuddlySteve
    The article discusses transferring a CTF into a J-ISA, but does not discuss whether it is possible to hold both concurrently, as you can ho;d different ISAs from different years.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 20th Sep 15, 7:03 PM
    • 8,138 Posts
    • 6,622 Thanks
    colsten
    you cannot. See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5327640&highlight=
    • Kmcelli333
    • By Kmcelli333 1st Jan 16, 11:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kmcelli333
    Hi I'm a Brit living and working in the states. Both my kids have CTF's estblished from our time in the UK. They are losing value each year. Anyone know if I'm able to transfer them to another provider, with not being resident in the UK ? Or transfer them to a 529 college fund in the US? Can't get any advice on this from them....any views from forum members please? Thanks so much.
    • Justindouglas
    • By Justindouglas 6th Jan 16, 11:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Justindouglas
    Quick query, I read this part of the CTF guide 'All savings put into CTFs are free from both income and capital gains tax, and the Government has confirmed there are no plans to change this, even though the spotlight has moved on to Junior ISAs.' and thought it meant contributions from a parent were free from income tax (like a pension contribution)....but is that just wishful thinking?

HMRC say so (child trust fund contributions are liable for tax relief) ...but you're never sure how much the person you speak to knows...
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Jan 16, 11:59 AM
    • 19,142 Posts
    • 10,862 Thanks
    xylophone
    Hi I'm a Brit living and working in the states. Both my kids have CTF's estblished from our time in the UK. They are losing value each year. Anyone know if I'm able to transfer them to another provider, with not being resident in the UK ? Or transfer them to a 529 college fund in the US? Can't get any advice on this from them....any views from forum members please? Thanks so much.
    The money in the accounts cannot be accessed or moved into accounts other than CTF/JISA until the child is 18 (except in the case of terminal illness - see http://www3.moneysavingexpert.com/files/ctf_guide.pdf

The above was the guide to CTF when originally started - you will see that the question of a child moving abroad is covered.

The CTF is now transferable to the more flexible JISA (the CF is also transferable to another CTF provider as a CTF) and it would not seem to me that the fact of the child's living abroad should alter this but clearly you would need to contact the new provider.

https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts/add-money-to-an-account

You will note from above "If your child moves abroad, you can still add cash to their Junior ISA."

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/how-to-transfer-a-ctf-to-a-jisa/0085961/
    • stoddy2k01
    • By stoddy2k01 27th Apr 16, 12:37 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    stoddy2k01
    I have a child trust fund with children's mutual. i want to move it to a children's isa or basically somewhere it can grow better than where it is now.

I have been in touch with hargreaves /Lansdown and they have explained something but to be honest i have no idea.

Could anyone here perhaps offer a good investment where i could transfer the ctf..

thanks
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 27th Apr 16, 1:33 PM
    • 19,142 Posts
    • 10,862 Thanks
    xylophone
    Could anyone here perhaps offer a good investment where i could transfer the ctf..
    This would not be permitted on the board. People may indicate their own experiences and choices.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-1587994/Junior-Isa-Child-Trust-Fund-How-save-invest-children.html

The above article may be of interest.
    • ernie-money
    • By ernie-money 28th Sep 16, 10:45 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    ernie-money
    I have had my sons ctf money in a stakeholder account, which tracks the ftse 100. His nan has paid in some money over the years, so the fund value is currently about £1900. With the ftse index currently being quite high, I thought it would be a good time to transfer the account into a junior cash isa, rather than risking the value to drop before he turns 18.
    The provider initially told me that I could switch the funds into the cash holding account, so that I could chose a good point in time to sell, and then switch to a junior isa with a different provider, but this now doesn't appear to be possible. The only way of switching the funds is to send off a form in the post, which will be processed in due course, and the sale will just take place whenever they get to it, with no way of choosing when.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on this; if there is any way around it at all..?
    Thanks in advance.
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 28th Sep 16, 11:09 PM
    • 19,142 Posts
    • 10,862 Thanks
    xylophone
    Who is the provider?
    • BrianPeterson
    • By BrianPeterson 29th Sep 16, 5:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BrianPeterson
    Thanks for the tips...
    • ernie-money
    • By ernie-money 29th Sep 16, 7:39 AM
    • 728 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    ernie-money
    Who is the provider?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    The provider is F&C, http://www.fandc.com/uk/private-investors/
    But I got the impression that it's general legislation that prevents the funds from being transferred to the cash account?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 29th Sep 16, 8:54 PM
    • 19,142 Posts
    • 10,862 Thanks
    xylophone
    The F&C stakeholder CTF gives you only one option, the All Shares Tracker Fund, but you want to transfer into a Money Markets Fund?

Their JISA allows access only to their range of investment trusts?

If you want a wider choice, you could transfer the CTF to a JISA with say, Charles Stanley or HL?

You would be able to choose your investments and have them sold within a couple of days or so and hold cash within the account.

It would be possible to transfer the cash to a cash JISA.

Or you could choose now to transfer the F&C CTF to a cash JISA provider?

How old is your child now?
    • ernie-money
    • By ernie-money 12th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    ernie-money
    The F&C stakeholder CTF gives you only one option, the All Shares Tracker Fund, but you want to transfer into a Money Markets Fund?

Their JISA allows access only to their range of investment trusts?

If you want a wider choice, you could transfer the CTF to a JISA with say, Charles Stanley or HL?

You would be able to choose your investments and have them sold within a couple of days or so and hold cash within the account.

It would be possible to transfer the cash to a cash JISA.

Or you could choose now to transfer the F&C CTF to a cash JISA provider?

How old is your child now?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Sorry, I never noticed the reply until now!
    My son is now 13, and I was thinking of transferring to Nationwides cash junior isa, as they offer a decent(ish) flat interest rate with no bonus that will expire, rather than risking future fluctuations in the stock market. If I timed it right, I thought it could be a good move, but it looks like the only way of doing this is by sending off the form in the post, and having no way of choosing when the sale takes place...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter