Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > May Update: What are you growing in 2006? (Tips h... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
May Update: What are you growing in 2006? (Tips here for Fruit, Veggies and Flowers!)
Views: 7,583
# 1
annie-c
Old 01-05-2006, 1:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Exclamation May Update: What are you growing in 2006? (Tips here for Fruit, Veggies and Flowers!)

Here is the May thread to continue the discussion about what Oldstylers are growing in 2006.

If you'd like to be notified whenever someone else adds to this thread then you can choose to subscribe using the option under 'thread tools' at the top right of the thread.

Please come back to this thread to join in or to carry on where you left off.

It's another beautiful Bank Holiday Monday down here in the south and I have been outside since 8am (gasp!) potting on seedlings and planting out fresh seeds for salad for the summer.

Happy gardening, oldstylers!!!

Annie
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annie-c For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
annie-c
Old 01-05-2006, 7:22 PM

Talking What has been a success/failure so far?

What a lovely day it has been!

Here is a list of what I've sown/planted so far:

Apple tree (just sprouting leaves/blossom buds)

Blackcurrant and rasberry 'sticks' (just started sprouting leaves)

Salad potatoes (in pots in 3 stages - the first ones are just starting to grow!)

Tomatoes (3 kinds, some have already been eaten by snails , but the others are coming along nicely! )

Peppers (just potted on the seedlings)

Chillies (first lot got eaten ; second lot just potted on)

Spinach ( a few bolted :rolleyes: ; a few are potted on)

Rocket (just sown alongside the spinach today)

Gourds (tiny but solid little leaves have sprouted)

Radishes (thinned out today)

Cress (sown on the windowsill today)

Pomegranates (ambitious I know!! Sown and placed in the dark under stairs cupboard for 4-12 weeks, starting today...)

Basil (only 3 tiny seedlings came up out of nearly a trayful in a propagator - sown more today, fingers crossed!)

Coriander (all eaten by slugs and snails! Sown more today)

Chives (struggling with these - can't get further than the 'single blade of grass' stage - any ideas anyone???) :confused:

Still to do:

Strawberries
Spring Onions
a few various herbs

How is everyone else getting on?

Annie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annie-c For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Calephetos
Old 01-05-2006, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Popped two kinds of bean (Climbing Barlotto - speckly red beans!) and runners into little pots to get going, as well as liquorice, strawberry and welsh red onion - some of those are a bit late, but they only arrived from eBay the other day.

The Sub Arctic Plenty tomatos are racing along, probably due to the sunny windowsill effect, and the redcurrant is doubling in size everytime I look at it. The Black Cherry tomatos are very small, but they popped up late.

The courgette/pumpkins (a seed mix-up means I've no idea what I've got yet) are just sitting in their gro-bag and sulking.

Blackberry and raspberry are waving a few desultory leaves around.

Iris bulbs are being very green, but no sign of flowering.

Mint and basil have popped up a few leaves, gotten scared and popped back down again :S

Three lettuce seedlings (out of dozens of seeds) have sprouted, looking like little red-tinged dandelions.

The mixed flowers seeds are leafy, but that's it. Since I've never grown flowers before, I've no idea what to expect!

The capsicums have come back from the dead; they were an experiment back in September to see if seeds from peppers would take, and they've got a lot of new growth now. If nothing else, they'll look pretty - I'm not expecting fruit.

The olive has finished flowering (a bit early?) but if there are any more than 7 olives, they're not making themselves known.

The fig is leggy, but not flowering either.

My chives are refusing to do more than sprout 4" bendy green shoots.

The dwarf lavender is being very quiet and small, but perhaps that's to be expected.

The 'melon plant' from Wilkos keeps dying and popping up again. I'm getting a bit concerned about it. And my Black Peppermint, a gift from a friend, has died completely :'(

I've still got the potatoes to do - just waiting for some to sprout, and will need to find something for the beans to crawl up, eventually.

Getting a bit concerned about how to move all this come the autumn; we're supposed to be moving for J's PhD, assuming someone finally gives him some funding :S
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calephetos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
GreenFingers
Old 01-05-2006, 8:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to GreenFingers
Smile The sun is shining...hooray...

Hello Annie-c,

The veggie growing is going quite well at the moment considering all this variable weather we’ve been having – hooray. I’ve posted a few piccys below… as you can see the Brussel Sprouts, Onions and Broccoli are doing fine. The leeks are catching up and so are a lot of the other seedlings - carrots, lettuces and so on.

There are quite a few other seedlings growing on in the greenhouse and the first batch of runner beans has been planted out. The sweet peppers, cucumbers and chillies are still on the kitchen windowsill and will go into the greenhouse in a couple of weeks – how wonderful. Hee hee.

Some sprouts, leeks and onions….. hooray.

Here’s some onions….Red Baron…yummy…

And some broccoli….even yummier…hooray…

!h! £2 !!!! !!v!!! !!!! = £346.00 (£300.00 !!!!!!!!!!d !! !!v!!g! !/!) &q!!!;!!m! d!y! y!!'!! ! P!g!!!...!!m! d!y! y!!'!! ! !!!!!!&q!!!;
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GreenFingers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
moggins
Old 01-05-2006, 8:53 PM

I thought I was well behind being so ill and unable to do anything early in the year but things seem to be catching up a little for me.

Beauftiful strong looking first leaves on the courgettes. I appear to have one red pepper seedling out of a whole tray. Also the sweetcorn seedlings have appeared really quickly which surprised me.

The tomato seeds are sulking and not doing anything and I think something has got into my mini greenhouse and eaten all my pumkin seeds out of the pots. The butternut squash seeds are not doing anything either.

Uncovered the cloches today and I have one lovely thick row of beetroot seedlings and one baldy looking row where a cat has got under the cloche and done his business

Same again with the two rows of Swiss chard.

Today I have planted - carrot seeds, lambs lettuce, ordinary lettuce, sugarsnap peas, cauliflower, red shallots, onion sets and rocket.

I was given 6 gooseberry bushes and 4 rasberry canes and I've put those up against the sunny fence. There is a little bed just outside my shed and I've dug up the lavender and spindly rose bush and planted American Blueberry bushes instead.

Just a lot of tidying up to do tomorrow and 12 strawberry plants to stick in an old galvanised bath down the bottom of the garden. I have some copper tape to go round that to try and stop the rampage of snails that ate all mine last year
!!g!!!!!d p!!p!! !!! j!!! !!! !!zy !! !!!! !!! !h!!g! ! ! !!!d !!!!!!!!y !! £250
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moggins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Strepsy
Old 01-05-2006, 9:13 PM

Wow, everyone's got loads of stuff on the go, and some really unusual stuff too! I love hearing what everyone's growing. Thanks for posting. Great pics too Green Fingers.

Here's a pic of my best Gartenperle tomato - got the seeds free with Grow Your Own magazine.

It's just about to flower so I'm quite excited.

I also have grown from seed 4 sweet peppers and 2 chilli plants; marigolds which have just started flowering, some 'Ailsa Craig' tomatoes aswell as some more Gartenperles; Busy Lizzies which look really huge and strong; radishes, little gems, carrots, lobelia, sweetcorn of which only one has popped up yet; sunflowers which are nearly too big for my windowsill now; and I'm also growing some verbascum which are bi-ennials so I have to get them through this year, overwinter and they'll flower next year. It's my first time growing bi-ennials so I'm none too confident. And apart from the seeds I have 4 raspberry canes, a gooseberry, a blueberry, a blackberry; spuds in buckets, garlic and onion sets on the go.

Last edited by Strepsy; 01-05-2006 at 9:16 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strepsy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
hornetgirl
Old 01-05-2006, 9:27 PM

Nothing exotic growing here, just a good supply of basics:

22 tomato plants and 12 runner bean plants in the cold frame (I'm planting the beans 6 at a time in the hope of staggering the picking season a bit)
6 yellow courgettes moved today from cold frame into veg patch - 3 under cloches and 3 in the open to see if it makes any difference.
Leeks and spring onions sown under cloches directly in veg patch.
Two rows of peas sown in veg patch. Will do another 2 next week, again to try and spread the picking a bit.
Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hornetgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
ageandjo
Old 02-05-2006, 6:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have never grown anything before but this year i am having a go. I only have the usual plants busy lizzie's lobelia petunia and also i have planted some tomatoe plants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ageandjo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
kjl26
Old 02-05-2006, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've got three tumbler tomatoes, just gone outside in big pots, hope this isn't too early!

Also about 10 santa tomatoes with about six leaves each.
15 chilli plants, all looking okay with about six big leaves each, 5 sweet peppers, four courgettes looking good and also just gone outside.

My aubergines seem not to be doing very much and stuck at two leaf stage, have quite a few of those still on inside windowsills, also some spinach which i have resown after getting nowhere with the first lot (the new ones are looking okay at the moment fingers crossed).

Outside we've got garlic, onion sets, coriander, salad leaves, rocket, broad beans (just planted) and peas (just planted). These are all in some great raised beds that OH made (our 'garden' is concreted over and we can't change it according to our leasehold), and he's made some lattices for the peas and beans to grow up too, when (if?) they appear.

I think that's everything... I am trying mint too but having failure after failure with it - any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to kjl26 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
katglasgow
Old 02-05-2006, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi I've just started my gardening experiment this year. Only have 2 small beds, I at front which I am using to mix herbs and flowers and one at back for veggies. I have cheated with herbs and got some plants reduced from woolies to starts me off: rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram and sage. I am also trying to germinate chives and basil from seed - fingers crossed, as I dont have a greenhouse so am relying on kitchen windowsill!
At back I have marked out 2 rows of each:
red onion, radishes, rocket, dwarf beans and runner beans. I planted 1 row this weekend and will do second in a month. I have a little space left, might try some courgettes too.
Oh yes, and also got blackberry bush reduced in Woolies so have found a space for that. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how I get on up in rainy Scotland!
M! d!!! !!!! !h!!!! !! M!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katglasgow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
katglasgow
Old 02-05-2006, 11:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

kjl26 - I got mint reduced down to Woolies for 10p. It came as part of a 4 pack of herbs that was originally £2.99 but because they others had died it was reduced down to peanuts. it was spearmint and quite a nice size. I've planted it into a pot as I remember having mint at a student flat years ago and it took over the whole garden!
M! d!!! !!!! !h!!!! !! M!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katglasgow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
mummysaver
Old 02-05-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie-c
What a lovely day it has been!

Here is a list of what I've sown/planted so far

Chives (struggling with these - can't get further than the 'single blade of grass' stage - any ideas anyone???) :confused:

Still to do:

Strawberries
Spring Onions
a few various herbs

How is everyone else getting on?

Annie
I'm def not an expert, but my chives are much better this year than last, they already seem quite thick and bushy - perhaps the plants just need to age a bit:confused:

Currently have lots of bean, tomato and flower seedlings, need some more sun so that can get this lot outside and get planting the rest! Not too much hope at the mo as have just had to put the heating back on!

Am going to try potatoes in up ended grow bags this year and see how I get on!
GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummysaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
nicki
Old 02-05-2006, 12:39 PM

I now have 6 strawberry plants in a hanging basket, 6 tomato plants bought from B&Q at the weekend (something ate my seedlings!), and tonnes of seeds sown in pots.

In seed trays I have peas and broccoli, then in containers I have :
spinach
parsnips / carrots
lettuce - iceberg
beetroot (these got eaten as well :rolleyes: )
onions (as did these :rolleyes: )
Lettuce - salad bowl mixed
cabbage
basil
chives
coriander
dill
mint
parsley (moss curled 2)

as well as LOADS and LOADS of flowers in the boarders including sweet peas, nasturtium and poppies now heres hoping everything survives I've even been out and bought clematis and honeysuckle so this year the garden should look FABULOUS
Total Debt: (31/12/10: £8800.40, 31/12/11:£8513.87, 31/12/12:£8414.68) 31/12/13 : £8226.88 - not much of a drop but I paid £500 out for DD to go to Paris with school!

Starting to wonder if life will stop throwing poo things at me and let me pay off my debts?

Last edited by nicki; 02-05-2006 at 12:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
kjl26
Old 02-05-2006, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by katglasgow
kjl26 - I got mint reduced down to Woolies for 10p. It came as part of a 4 pack of herbs that was originally £2.99 but because they others had died it was reduced down to peanuts. it was spearmint and quite a nice size. I've planted it into a pot as I remember having mint at a student flat years ago and it took over the whole garden!
Thanks for that - mine is from seed from a packet I got for free at the garden centre (for buying two other packs i think) and I think it's just straight mint. Maybe I need to change varieties?! Or start from a plant. Yes I have been planning to put it in containers too because I heard it was really invasive, but I just can't get past getting a few (out of loads of seeds) really really tiny shoots. Maybe I will go for spearmint. Thanks again!
# 15
Strepsy
Old 02-05-2006, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjl26
I've got three tumbler tomatoes, just gone outside in big pots, hope this isn't too early!
I would be very careful about putting tomatoes out yet, they won't stand a frost at all. It does depend on area though but unless you are in an area where the last of the frost has come and gone I would at least protect them at night or bring them back in.

On the mint theme, I got some catmint from Bridgemere garden centre as I had a voucher for a free herb and that's about all they had left, so I thought the cats might like it. One of them ate half the plant! It's now in the mini greenhouse recovering but if I put it out again I'm scared they'll scoff the lot. lol.

Last edited by Strepsy; 02-05-2006 at 1:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strepsy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
kjl26
Old 02-05-2006, 1:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strepsy
I would be very careful about putting tomatoes out yet, they won't stand a frost at all. It does depend on area though but unless you are in an area where the last of the frost has come and gone I would at least protect them at night or bring them back in.

On the mint theme, I got some catmint from Bridgemere garden centre as I had a voucher for a free herb and that's about all they had left, so I thought the cats might like it. One of them ate half the plant! It's now in the mini greenhouse recovering but if I put it out again I'm scared they'll scoff the lot. lol.
Thanks Strepsy. I think I will bring them back in. I got my OH to do all the potting on at the weekend and he did them at the same time as the courgettes and they've all ended up outside...and I just hadn't got round to thinking about whether that was actually sensible. We're in north London and I think the weather report at the weekend said the last frost should have passed but can't be too careful!
# 17
ellas9602
Old 02-05-2006, 4:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default My tomatoes are failing :( help

I started by sowing lots of tomatoe seeds in a trays (money maker and tumbler) and they grew really well in a little cheap propagotor on my windowsill. When they were about 2" and had about 4 leaves I put the strongest ones in thier own little pots on the windowsill in the kitchen. This was two weeks ago and they haven't grown since then. the seed leaves appear to be dying and the leaves seem to shrivelling and they just aren't flourishing. Im in Yorks so maybe its the weather or could it be because they are in the kitchen? grease from cooking etc? I also have courgettes on the window sill and green beans and they are doing fine. any advice???:confused:
# 18
CCStar
Old 02-05-2006, 6:07 PM

We don't have a huge garden and anything edible is being grown in the greenhouse in growbags because we have rabbits coming into the garden. We are also in central Scotland so a bit cooler than down south.

Usually have good crops of courgettes and tomatoes. Trying from seed this year, early shoots coming on courgettes.

Planted an old spud in a growbag and some leaves are showing.

Planted some dwarf beans this weekend

Planted, basil, oregano, borage and thyme.

Starting some lobellia, sunflower seeds and lupins in the greenhouse.
!! !v!!!g! d!y !! my !!!! ! !m !! !xp!!! !! p!!p!!!y !!! h!v! !!v!d !! m!!y !yp!! !! h!m!!, !! m!!y !!!!!!!!! !!d !!! !!!y !!!! !!!m !xp!!!!!!!.
# 19
CCStar
Old 02-05-2006, 6:11 PM

We had a load off offshoot strawberry plants which have been planted elsewhere - good crop last year.

Our 2 apple trees are begining to leaf - good crop in 2004, average last year.

Have parsley, rosemary, chives in pots from our flat still going strong.

My sage and thyme died off so starting from seed.

Bought a mint plant and aubretia for the rockery.
!! !v!!!g! d!y !! my !!!! ! !m !! !xp!!! !! p!!p!!!y !!! h!v! !!v!d !! m!!y !yp!! !! h!m!!, !! m!!y !!!!!!!!! !!d !!! !!!y !!!! !!!m !xp!!!!!!!.
# 20
bluemoon
Old 02-05-2006, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My potatoes (Kestrel) are coming up in the pots - I still have a few indoors that I haven't planted, but I'm not sure what to do with them. Maybe I'll sort out another couple of pots to plant them in, though I've used my two big ones!

Tomato plants, both Tumbler and Moneymaker, are still indoors and going strong. The moneymakers look desperate to go outside, poor things, but I don't want to risk it yet.

I sowed some pepper seeds that I saved last year and they are growing into lovely strong seedlings. I don't know if they'll produce fruit but the pepper I saved them from was delicious so it's worth a shot!

The courgette seeds I sowed a few weeks back haven't done a thing, but I still have some in the packet so I shall have another go in a couple of days! No luck with my french beans either. I did leave those to germinate in the mini greenhouse though, so maybe I'll try starting another lot indoors.

Only one lettuce seedling out of about 6 seeds planted in my first sowing direct outdoors. I'm going to put the next lot in a seed tray and then translant outdoors.

The spring onions and radishes I planted outdoors seem to be growing - although someone has nibbled the radish leaves so not all of them are still there.

Garlic coming up in a pot!

I did sow some perpetual spinach, but I'm not sure which seedlings are the spinach and which are weeds while they are so small. ?? I might try sowing some of these indoors for transplant too.

Loads of flowers - petunias, rudbeckias, black-eyed susans, gaillardias . . .

Sounds like quite a lot written down! I still have a lot of the garden to clear though before I can plant much of it out (it was very neglected when we moved in, and though I've been trying my best, I'm only gradually learning how to look after it! Sometimes I get discouraged, but then I realise how much I've already done - my front border looks lovely right now with the tulips I put in last autumn!)