Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • horseykitty
    • By horseykitty 29th Aug 09, 3:08 PM
    • 617Posts
    • 444Thanks
    horseykitty
    Morrisons Socket Covers
    • 29th Aug 09, 3:08 PM
    Morrisons Socket Covers 29th Aug 09 at 3:08 PM
    I bought a pack of socket covers from Morrisons the other day - they were inexpensive, 12 for 99p I think they were. They are absolutely useless - my DD 16 months has a new game - pulling the covers out of the sockets! They are so ridiculously easy to remove that far from being a safety device they are actually attracting her to the sockets! I'm having to remove them to try and distract her attention away from playing with them. About as much use as a chocolate teapot and as dangerous. I shall b e writing to Morrisons about them.
Page 1
  • fernliebee
    • 29th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    • 29th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-WhFgaqCX0

Please watch this video, it is not common knowledge but they can be very dangerous.

HTH.
    • Noctu
    • By Noctu 29th Aug 09, 3:35 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    Noctu
    • 29th Aug 09, 3:35 PM
    • 29th Aug 09, 3:35 PM
    Also: www.fatallyflawed.org.uk
  • fernliebee
    • 29th Aug 09, 4:32 PM
    • 29th Aug 09, 4:32 PM
    Thanks Noctu the youtube link is the fatally flawed one, I just couldn't remember the name off the top of my head.
    • xmaslolly76
    • By xmaslolly76 29th Aug 09, 4:39 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 10,661 Thanks
    xmaslolly76
    • 29th Aug 09, 4:39 PM
    • 29th Aug 09, 4:39 PM
    Never bought them and ive never liked them they just encourage kids to play with the sockets if you ask me :-) x
    Friends are like fabric you can never have enough
    • horseykitty
    • By horseykitty 29th Aug 09, 6:56 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    horseykitty
    • 29th Aug 09, 6:56 PM
    • 29th Aug 09, 6:56 PM
    Thanks to fernliebee and Noctu for those links - I am shocked and appalled by the clips. In light of the evidence I am surprised they haven't been banned and parents made more aware of just how lethal they can be. As soon as I've finished this I'm going to round mine up and throw them in the bin. When I write to Morrisons I will put the Youtube and fatally flawed link in - see if it pursuades them to stop selling them.
    • BeenieCat
    • By BeenieCat 29th Aug 09, 7:14 PM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    BeenieCat
    • 29th Aug 09, 7:14 PM
    • 29th Aug 09, 7:14 PM
    I got some socket covers in a surestart pack years ago. Honestly i couldn't take one of them out it was stuck forever. It only got removed when the whole house got rewired

• babyhead
    • 29th Aug 09, 10:11 PM
    • 29th Aug 09, 10:11 PM
    My DS did the same thing OP. He was about 18 mos and would just have lots of fun removing them. We just removed them and it wasnt a problem anymore!!!!!!

One of DH's friends actually has a finger bent from putting it in a socket when he was little - its yukky!!!
    DFW Nerd #1152
    • DonnyDave
    • By DonnyDave 29th Mar 11, 10:12 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    DonnyDave
    • 29th Mar 11, 10:12 AM
    • 29th Mar 11, 10:12 AM
    I've just watched the YouTube videos from Fatally Flawed. When viewing the Clipasafe Socket Cover Dangers video, it suggests other videos that may be of interest on the same subject.

One of the top suggestions is from online retailer Kiddicare.com. Steph says that they use these things in their workplace.

The video shows what appears to be a MK Logic Plus socket. So they have what are widely reguarded the safest sockets available and then negate this by using these Clipasafe covers.
    Dave
    Say no to 0870!
  • jcr16
    i don't use things like this. we have just always told the children to not touch them. we didn't ever have a problem.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • Counting_Pennies
    • By Counting_Pennies 29th Mar 11, 5:15 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    Counting_Pennies
    Good old fashioned 'No' over and over. Takes about 12 days to form a habit, and then they just get on with something else.
    • monkeychops
    • By monkeychops 1st Apr 11, 9:54 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    monkeychops
    A lot of these sort of things are useless
    • DonnyDave
    • By DonnyDave 1st Apr 11, 12:30 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    DonnyDave
    A lot of these sort of things are useless
    Originally posted by monkeychops
    But they go beyond useless and are dangerous. They negate safety features built in to all 13 amp sockets.
    Dave
    Say no to 0870!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,533Users online

Martin's Twitter