Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 26th Apr 06, 8:49 PM
    • 18,599Posts
    • 81,443Thanks
    pipkin71
    porridge in the slow cooker
    • 26th Apr 06, 8:49 PM
    porridge in the slow cooker 26th Apr 06 at 8:49 PM
    Hi all

just read about how nice porridge tastes in the slow cooker on a breakfast cereal thread, but have no idea how much porridge to put in and how long for. Can anyone help in time for me to prepare for brekkie tomorrow?

Thanks
    Pipkin
Page 1
    • caroline1973lefty
    • By caroline1973lefty 26th Apr 06, 10:05 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    caroline1973lefty
    • 26th Apr 06, 10:05 PM
    • 26th Apr 06, 10:05 PM
    I've got a feeling that if you boil water, milk or a combination and then just leave it in a thermos flask (if you have one) it should cook itself and keep itself warm without any further power required.

Hope that works - haven't tried it myself!

EDIT - sorry just re-read your thread and realised you were asking a slightly different question. I use one expresso cup worth of porridge, 1 of milk and 1 of water when I cook it (for one person).
  • melancholly
    • 26th Apr 06, 11:18 PM
    • 26th Apr 06, 11:18 PM
    so i can put it on low overnight and wake up to a big bowl of porridge?!?! genius! i love it but rarely have time to cook it on weekdays. thank you (for the question and the answer!)
    • Carrot
    • By Carrot 27th Apr 06, 8:59 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    Carrot
    • 27th Apr 06, 8:59 AM
    • 27th Apr 06, 8:59 AM
    Along the same lines - I do porridge overnight in the simmering oven of the Aga.
    1 cup of oats to 1 of skimmed milk and 1 cup of water. Put it in about 11pm and wake up to a lovely breakfast. I presume a slow cooker will do the same.
    Sell £1000 challenge - £0/£1500 - No.80

YNAB - take control of your money
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 27th Apr 06, 11:07 AM
    • 18,599 Posts
    • 81,443 Thanks
    pipkin71
    • 27th Apr 06, 11:07 AM
    • 27th Apr 06, 11:07 AM
    Breakfast this morning was fantastic - DD2 was really pleased and asked for more! Sadly, DD1 turned her nose up, as usual, and stuck to her toast, but 1 out of 2 isn't bad I guess. Will definitely be having porridge again tomorrow.

Regards
    Pipkin xxxx
  • finc
    • 27th Apr 06, 12:51 PM
    • 27th Apr 06, 12:51 PM
    As a general rule of thumb use 250ml of oats to 750ml of water and 5ml of salt for 3-4 people. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.
  • taylorsmum
    • 6th Oct 06, 11:01 PM
    How To Make Porridge In Slow Cooker
    • 6th Oct 06, 11:01 PM
    hi,

can anyone tell me how to make porridge in the slow cooker please, have seen it on here but i cannot find it now.
    many thanks.
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    • 7th Oct 06, 12:02 AM
    porridge
    • 7th Oct 06, 12:02 AM
    hi,

can anyone tell me how to make porridge in the slow cooker please, have seen it on here but i cannot find it now.
    many thanks.
    by taylorsmum
    Please dont think I am being funny but it only takes 3 mins in the microwave and uses a lot less electricity.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
    • sarahlouise210
    • By sarahlouise210 7th Oct 06, 12:07 AM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    sarahlouise210
    • 7th Oct 06, 12:07 AM
    • 7th Oct 06, 12:07 AM
    Please dont think I am being funny but it only takes 3 mins in the microwave and uses a lot less electricity.
    by buxtonrabbitgreen
    my thoughts exactly!!!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes
  • pounds_and_pensive
    Hi taylorsmum - I don't do porridge, but I expect the others are right (this lot usually are ) I just noticed your post count though, and wanted to say 'Welcome'
    Eek! Someone's stolen my signature!
  • taylorsmum
    hi thanks for your replys,

just thought it would be easier to put it on the night before, ready in the morning no hassle
    • bizzylizzy
    • By bizzylizzy 7th Oct 06, 8:41 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    bizzylizzy
    hi thanks for your replys,

just thought it would be easier to put it on the night before, ready in the morning no hassle
    by taylorsmum
    I have tried porridge in the slowcooker and it was horrible! I used the same amounts as I do in a saucepan so maybe that is where I went wrong. I like the idea of coming down in the morning to it all ready too.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 7th Oct 06, 8:57 AM
    • 14,261 Posts
    • 8,751 Thanks
    molerat
    One cup oats, two cups milk, one cup water. Low setting. Job done.
    • bizzylizzy
    • By bizzylizzy 7th Oct 06, 9:05 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    bizzylizzy
    One cup oats, two cups milk, one cup water. Low setting. Job done.
    by molerat

Thank you. How long do you leave it? I know it's "overnight" but some peoples nights are longer than others.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 7th Oct 06, 10:32 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 15,424 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    I have tried making porridge overnight in the slow cooker and I have to say it was horrible - it went all brown and had a funny sort of taste. The same thing happened when I tried to make a rice pudding in there. Any ideas why?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 7th Oct 06, 11:26 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I have tried making porridge overnight in the slow cooker and I have to say it was horrible - it went all brown and had a funny sort of taste. The same thing happened when I tried to make a rice pudding in there. Any ideas why?
    by recovering spendaholic
    me too - it was very gloopy and tasted like glue. I was hugely dissapointed as I thought this would be a real time saver on rushed school mornings!
  • taylorsmum
    thanks molerat, will try for tommorow morning, fingers crossed
  • kittykat500
    Why not soak the porridge the night before and then heat through in the morning. Takes next to no time! The microwave idea is a good idea too if you have one that is!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 7th Oct 06, 3:39 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 34,682 Thanks
    Caterina
    It is important to stir porridge as it gets cooked, to avoid the lumps, so the slow cooker is not the best option for rolled oats.

If you use whole oats, though, they cook very well overnight in the slow cooker (3 cups of liquid to 1 cup of oats).

Caterina
    2016 NSDs so far: 2
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 7th Oct 06, 4:24 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 17,502 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    I love it in the slow cooker. Really creamy.
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,736Posts Today

5,257Users online

Martin's Twitter