Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    hoyles10
    How do I find out if I had PPI?
    • 17th Aug 09, 2:06 PM
    How do I find out if I had PPI? 17th Aug 09 at 2:06 PM
    I had a loan with Welcome Finance a while ago and i'm not sure if I had PPI on the original loan or not.

I took out a loan in about 2003 which I think had payment insurance on it, over a period of time I was silly and kept adding to the loan but each time the old loan was payed off and a new loan taken out. So if my loan balance was for 2000 but then I wanted a further 500 on it I took out a new agreement for 2500.

In total i've had 4 or 5 loan accounts through doing this. I no longer have the original paperwork but how do I find out if I had PPI on any of them and if so what do you think the chances are of claiming it back?
Page 1
  • di3004
    • 17th Aug 09, 2:08 PM
    • 17th Aug 09, 2:08 PM
    I had a loan with Welcome Finance a while ago and i'm not sure if I had PPI on the original loan or not.

I took out a loan in about 2003 which I think had payment insurance on it, over a period of time I was silly and kept adding to the loan but each time the old loan was payed off and a new loan taken out. So if my loan balance was for 2000 but then I wanted a further 500 on it I took out a new agreement for 2500.

In total i've had 4 or 5 loan accounts through doing this. I no longer have the original paperwork but how do I find out if I had PPI on any of them and if so what do you think the chances are of claiming it back?
    Originally posted by hoyles10

Hello there.

Just write to them, enclose a 1 postal order or cheque payment, and request a true copy of your CCA (Agreement), tell them you look forward to receiving this by 12 days of your date of request.

Post by recorded delivery.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di"
  • di3004
    • 17th Aug 09, 2:13 PM
    • 17th Aug 09, 2:13 PM
    To save confusion, as you had a few loans, you could request a SAR as well, they go back for at least 6 years if you live in England or Wales and 5 years in Scotland, however I was lucky enough to receive information on all my accounts going back even earlier years.
    This was a different company though.

They have 40 days to comply, but there is a charge of 10 postal order or cheque payment for this request.

This SAR should include information of everything they hold on you, such as loans/insurance etc.

You may have to give them more details if you've no account number, such as your date of birth, any different address and surnames if you lived elsewhere when taken out other loans etc.

Here is the SAR template letter here, and post by recorded delivery, good luck.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1475553

If you require help with PPI reclaiming please let us know.
  • hoyles10
    • 17th Aug 09, 2:16 PM
    • 17th Aug 09, 2:16 PM
    That's great thanks very much, i'll sort that out today then. In for a penny in for a pound as they say

What does SAR stand for? Sorry if i'm being numb
  • di3004
    • 17th Aug 09, 2:17 PM
    • 17th Aug 09, 2:17 PM
    That's great thanks very much, i'll sort that out today then. In for a penny in for a pound as they say

What does SAR stand for? Sorry if i'm being numb
    Originally posted by hoyles10
    Your welcome.

Oops sorry, Its a Subject access request, where they "must" provide you with everything as requested as shown on the request.
    No your not being dumb lol, we have all been there, and they say we learn something new everyday..

Good luck and if you do need further help, ask away anytime.

Di
    X

PS, will add this link here as well in regards of PPI reclaiming guidelines with templates etc, and when your ready, let us know.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
  • Hippocampus
    • 18th Aug 09, 6:48 AM
    • 18th Aug 09, 6:48 AM
    It would be an absolute miracle if you have an agreement with Welcome that DOESN'T include PPI, as wel as other silly insurances.

Send to this address...

Compliance Department
    Welcome Finance
    Mere Way
    Ruddington Fields Business Park
    Ruddington
    Nottingham NG11 6NZ
    Cabot can now kiss my DONKEY. Statute barred is enough of a result, but the actions of the CABOT FAN CLUB have cost them far more than the paltry sums they were chasing us for.
  • hoyles10
    • 18th Aug 09, 11:38 AM
    • 18th Aug 09, 11:38 AM
    Thanks Hippocampus, you've answered the question I came on for before I even asked it
  • deanacoombes
    • 22nd Feb 12, 6:25 PM
    loan
    • 22nd Feb 12, 6:25 PM
    Hi
    I don't know if i had a ppi with blackhorse how do i find out?
  • Devenney16
    • 2nd Apr 12, 4:53 PM
    • 2nd Apr 12, 4:53 PM
    Does any1 know the rules and regulations regarding reclaiming PPI on a friend or relatives behalf??

I'm pretty sure after speaking with a friend that he has been paying PPI on a fair few credit cards without knowing wanting or asking for the product, he says he doesn't have the time to reclaim as a lot is going on in his life right now but would be happy for me to do it on his behalf.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • GennaH
    I've never had any loans but have had a few credit cards in the past and not sure whether I had PPI. How do I find out if I did? Most of the sites I've seen focus on loans and I have no idea of where to start!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Apr 12, 1:31 AM
    • 15,806 Posts
    • 6,767 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Does any1 know the rules and regulations regarding reclaiming PPI on a friend or relatives behalf??

I'm pretty sure after speaking with a friend that he has been paying PPI on a fair few credit cards without knowing wanting or asking for the product, he says he doesn't have the time to reclaim as a lot is going on in his life right now but would be happy for me to do it on his behalf.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by Devenney16
    There are several places on the FOS questionnaire which ask for details of someone acting on behalf of the claimant. Although these are generally used by Claims Management Companies, it should be a simple matter for your friend to include your name and address as the person acting for him.
    Follow the simple steps here
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-credit-card-insurance

Print off the FOS questionnaire template and get your friend to sign giving their permission for you to act for them..
    • amersall
    • By amersall 4th Apr 12, 4:06 PM
    • 16,354 Posts
    • 18,315 Thanks
    amersall
    I've never had any loans but have had a few credit cards in the past and not sure whether I had PPI. How do I find out if I did? Most of the sites I've seen focus on loans and I have no idea of where to start!
    Originally posted by GennaH
    If these are closed, then you need to Sar each bank and ask for all info they hold on you, this could get you the info you need, do not ask for a specific item you need all info they hold on you, this will cost 10 per bank and they have 40 days to respond.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553

If you know the banks you had these with you could ring them and ask if they can find your accounts, give as much info as you can.

• CaPPsiE
    • By CaPPsiE 26th Mar 14, 11:04 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    CaPPsiE
    1 or 10 for the CCR
    Hi

Is it 1 or 10?

di3004 wrote:
    Just write to them, enclose a 1 postal order or cheque payment, and request a true copy of your CCA (Agreement), tell them you look forward to receiving this by 12 days of your date of request.
    But later amersall wrote:
    If these are closed, then you need to Sar each bank and ask for all info they hold on you, this could get you the info you need, do not ask for a specific item you need all info they hold on you, this will cost 10 per bank and they have 40 days to respond.
    Thanks,
    Adam.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 26th Mar 14, 11:32 AM
    • 82,923 Posts
    • 47,973 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi

Is it 1 or 10?

di3004 wrote:

But later amersall wrote:

Thanks,
    Adam.
    Originally posted by CaPPsiE
    The 1 method (section 78 of the CCA) only applies to loans regulated under the consumer credit act with a debt outstanding (i.e. those loans still being repaid). If there is no debt, then s78 no longer applies (i.e. those loans that have been repaid).

The 10 method should be used for repaid loans. However, do remember that there is no requirement to supply a credit agreement with your complaint. That is a myth.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Avs4272
    Old Loans
    Hi
    I've had loans over the years as well as credit cards & a car on finance that I paid off early. I'm not sure if I've ever had PPI's?
    Please could you tell me how I start to find out this information?
    I have been with the same bank, Lloyds for years but I do not have any paperwork on any of the loans I've had over the years.
    I recently received a call regarding past PPI's & was informed that they could claim on my behalf for a fee of 39%.
    Can I do this on my own?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 28th Aug 14, 9:16 AM
    • 82,923 Posts
    • 47,973 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I've had loans over the years as well as credit cards & a car on finance that I paid off early. I'm not sure if I've ever had PPI's?
    Ask the providers.

I recently received a call regarding past PPI's & was informed that they could claim on my behalf for a fee of 39%.
    Its a vatable service too so add another 20% to that.

Can I do this on my own?
    Yes. It is free to complain. You dont need to pay anyone to use the free of charge complaints process.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 28th Aug 14, 10:08 AM
    • 15,806 Posts
    • 6,767 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'm not sure if I've ever had PPI's?
    Originally posted by Avs4272
    Go here;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance?_ga=1.156566969.340047350.1365283676
    and follow the simple steps.

Can I do this on my own?
    Originally posted by Avs4272
    Absolutely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,709Posts Today

7,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sheesh... now I'm being attacked for a post asking about how bad AIRPORT exchange rates are as if it were some Brexit point!

• I support UK & rest of world. I reject the framing that going beyond Eng border lets country down. We must interact. https://t.co/zHDrsmCop2

• RT @Josed3018: @MartinSLewis the exchange rate is 1.07 at the euro tunnel

• Follow Martin